THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 366695 times)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #1200 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:47 »

Only applies to people in the United states though.  :|
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #1201 on: 29 Mar 2010, 13:15 »

So that's what that countdown was for. I was kinda oping for announcement regarding DA2 and/or ME3.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1202 on: 29 Mar 2010, 17:41 »

Yeah, or like super fun free DLC.

Instead, we get sweepstakes.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1203 on: 29 Mar 2010, 17:50 »

I was shooting for some kind of modding program.

Mein Tumblr

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1204 on: 31 Mar 2010, 15:05 »

What I wanna know is why can't I romance Wrex in ME1, or have him on my god damn team in ME2? He is my most favorite character, and basically, it disappoints me that I can't have him following me around in ME2 saying "I wanna go kill something" or making other funny quips. Seriously. I actually just recently started playing ME1(after watching my boyfriend play through 1 and 2, which is how I got re-interested in ME), and basically my team is the best because Wrex is a fucking bad ass.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1205 on: 31 Mar 2010, 18:23 »

It's too bad he wasn't as aggressive in actual combat as his personality and rep implied though. He was a good teammate thanks to his sheer durability and the shotguns (I swear the NPCs don't even know what burst fire means) but the AI just never lived up to his skillset's potential. Ah well, the AI isn't his fault. It just bums me out that out of all the NPCs I always found Liara to be the most useful. She is so goddam boring. Still, singularity is always good and it's not like the other NPCs actually hit what they shoot anyway, so into my squad she went.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2010, 18:27 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1206 on: 31 Mar 2010, 20:58 »

They made Grunt's AI super aggressive in ME2, though, so I think they actually realized that Wrex wasn't aggressive enough and fixed that with Wrex 2.0.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1207 on: 31 Mar 2010, 21:46 »

He charges at pretty much everything.  I don't tell him to do it, he just does.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1208 on: 31 Mar 2010, 22:08 »

also you can't fuck everything in the universe that you like, it's just not done
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1209 on: 31 Mar 2010, 22:53 »

The downer is that Grunt, as tough as he may be, simply isn't in a game where you can openly tank everyone and win. Wrex had Immunity, Shield Boost AND Barrier. Even with the dog shit AI it took a small miracle to down him. I suppose an effectively invulnerable NPC would probably be considered unbalanced by many people, but I for one could get behind a "Wrex Wrecks Everyone's Shit" edition of ME1.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #1210 on: 31 Mar 2010, 23:49 »

If you pump Grunt's regen and immunity abilities he is damn near impossible to take down.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1211 on: 01 Apr 2010, 10:25 »

Trust me, I'm not tryin' to hate on the guy. He's my overall favorite squadmate from a pure gameplay standpoint. Grunt and Zaeed/Thane make great buddies for an adept, engineer or sentinel thanks to their raw damage output, even if the latter two have somewhat crappy loyalty powers. On normal or veteran Grunt is basically a death machine. I just get annoyed playing with him on hardcore and insanity sometimes-- he's got a bad habit of charging pairs of vanguards when I'm not looking.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2010, 13:23 by Alex C »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1212 on: 01 Apr 2010, 15:46 »

or those damn praetorians

Mein Tumblr

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1213 on: 01 Apr 2010, 17:15 »

Grunt's survivability on Insanity is insane if you get both of the Krogan Vitality research upgrades.

50% extra health on a guy who has the highest base health of anyone on your team in addition to a 100% armor bonus?

Then again, pretty much all of your characters are crazy powerful when upgraded fully, and Insanity becomes quite easy anyway.

As for an Adept on Insanity I used Jacob (for pull and his shotgun and general survivability) and Miranda (for the 25% health bonus and Unstable Warp and Overload) the most, while using Zaeed for all Geth missions.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1214 on: 01 Apr 2010, 19:31 »

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1215 on: 03 Apr 2010, 22:32 »

Woo beat the game on insanity.  It wasn't controller breaking difficult anywhere except the Collector Ship Platform.

What really helped was having blood dragon armor and the extra 10% biotic damage boost from the Firewalker DLC.  So in total I had a 90% biotic damage boost, so my warps were absolutely decimating everything.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1216 on: 04 Apr 2010, 19:28 »

I coulda swore I mentioned this earlier, but I just wanted to share how funny I thought it was when Alenko wore Ashley's pink armor during the destruction of the Normandy and was super upset at Horizon when meeting up with my male Shep. It made me wish there was a "Holy shit, you have dialogue now!" Renegade option. Don't get me wrong; I thought the Alenko character was pretty alright. But his ME1 interaction was pretty threadbare for a male Shep, so it's kinda hard to spin the encounter as a brothers-in-arms kinda deal, especially when I got to respond with a "THAT'S OFF LIMITS!" to the Illusive Man when he asked if the relationships were going to get in the way.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1217 on: 04 Apr 2010, 19:37 »

breaking news: bioware hints at gay relationship for me3

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1218 on: 04 Apr 2010, 19:44 »

It'd certainly make my Kaidan experience make more sense. The man got a li'l surly on me for some guy I never talked to much. Normally, I wouldn't be raising an eyebrow, but I was kinda struck by how slightly lazy it felt. It comes across as a something that's supposed to be a real mission centerpiece but ends up feeling like one of the more obvious cut 'n' paste jobs in the game. Then again, my opinion is probably just being colored by how damn bland/restrained Kaidan is in virtually every other moment of the series. It just seems to scream "Well, shit, we thought you'd save Ashley."
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2010, 19:49 by Alex C »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #1219 on: 04 Apr 2010, 21:00 »

Yeah I was kinda annoyed by the disparity in Kaidan's character establishment between Shep genders. Luckily for me the clear superiority of Jennifer Hale made male Shep runs infrequent. And shit, it really does seem like you're supposed to kill Kaidan. He's barely a character in ME1 when you're male.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2010, 21:02 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1220 on: 04 Apr 2010, 21:03 »

What the fuck are you talking about? Me and Kaidan talked about that one time he kicked a turian in the face. We are bros 4 lyfe.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #1221 on: 04 Apr 2010, 21:05 »

Kaidan never wanted to talk to my male Sheps. Always told me to come back later. Might've been a bug, but it was a pretty frequent and unpatched one if it was.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1222 on: 04 Apr 2010, 21:16 »

Even on my female playthroughs I always kill Kaiden.

Always:evil:

Ashley is a more compelling character, even if she recites poetry in an attempt to be deep.  (Although it actually does make sense for her character.)

Although one thing I don't get about Kaiden's justification for not joining you is "a leopard doesn't change its spots" in reference to Cerberus being bad dudes and will always be bad dudes.  Um, hello, Shepard is way more of a leopard than Cerberus and so neither should his spots have changed!  Talk about a double standard.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1223 on: 04 Apr 2010, 21:39 »

kaidan was a way more compelling character and was developed fairly decently in my me1 run-throughs. the only awesome thing about ashley's poetry reciting is that she quoted "in memoriam a.h.h." in me2. it was shockingly apropos!

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1224 on: 04 Apr 2010, 22:06 »

Kaiden whined, though.

I do not tolerate whining on my vessel.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #1225 on: 04 Apr 2010, 22:20 »

What did you call Ashley bitching about the aliens?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1226 on: 04 Apr 2010, 22:32 »

kaidan was a way more compelling character and was developed fairly decently in my me1 run-throughs. the only awesome thing about ashley's poetry reciting is that she quoted "in memoriam a.h.h." in me2. it was shockingly apropos!

I always spammed the space bar to tear through her poetry recitals ASAP, personally. I will say one thing: I have vague memories of Kaidan actually disagreeing with you 'n' shit from time to time if you're a renegade Shep, but I never actually went all the way through ME1 as a Renegade, so it's a pretty sketchy memory. I'm not an Ash, Kaidan or Liara fan by any means, tbh, but Ashley stands out a bit more in my mind simply because she disagreed with my Shep on some things and took a stand every now and again. My Kaidan interactions, on the other hand were mostly limited to things like "Thorians smell bad," and "Wow, Reapers sure are scary!"
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2010, 22:37 by Alex C »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1227 on: 04 Apr 2010, 22:34 »

Kaiden is better than Jacob. Jacob needs some sort of shut the fuck up button.

What's the sense in telling a girl to say hi to the ship AI when her species was pushed off their planet by the geth?

Mein Tumblr

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1228 on: 04 Apr 2010, 22:37 »

See, I interpreted that as being passive aggressive rather than completely oblivious, particularly since it was in response to Tali being openly hostile. Jacob's got a couple of lines here and there that have some real bite to them if you consider all the implications.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #1229 on: 04 Apr 2010, 23:21 »

Jacob was a weird character. I feel like the whole thing with Illusive Man cultivating an organization without any sort of ideological prereqs outside the most basic and loose pro-human sentiments probably sounded a lot cooler on paper than it ended up being in the game. Having played through the game a few times I'm fairly certain I've heard everything he's able to say (outside of romance stuff, which could be the problem) and I still don't know why he is where he is. I mean I'm aware of his backstory with the Batarians and all that but for a member of a pro-human partisan organization he seems immensely conflicted, and if it weren't for his B-type personality he doesn't seem like the type to ever engage in "Renegade" style activities. He just follows orders.

Anyway, I do actually think Jacob was just being thick when he told Tali about EDI. Jacob can be (sort of) biting when he's sullen (which is more often than not) but on the whole he is a painfully sincere and sorta naive dude.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #1230 on: 04 Apr 2010, 23:27 »

I definitely intepreted Jacob's comment to Tali as being a pretty snarky remark. She was being pretty anti-Cerberus for that whole meeting and there wasn't a whole lot he could do to come back on it, so I think that last comment was a purposeful kick in the ribs to her, otherwise there doesn't seem to be any sort of point in saying it whatsoever.

Still need to get around to completing a Paragon playthrough of this. Kinda sucks though that every time I think about starting a brand new character, I feel like I sort of have to get the same character through ME1 as well, just so I can build some kind of concrete narrative across both stories. Kinda want to do a playthrough where everybody dies, as well.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1231 on: 05 Apr 2010, 00:39 »

I have to warn you that I think I'd rather try pulling off a non-import Mixed or Renegade than a non-import male Paragon (fem Shep has an edge here via VA). As much as I hate to speak ill of the tweaked body language,* it does have the unfortunate side effect of emphasizing just how much of a ginormous space pussy a straight up Paragon Shep can be at times. I could handle the boy scout thing much easier when the talking head would just woodenly spit out some by-the-book bs and then be forced to shoot people. The friendly animations kinda reinforce the notion that he really does try to talk down half the criminal assholes in the galaxy, and it's not really terribly convincing. It's part of why I'm glad I imported-- with that big fat pile of renegade/paragon points I had laying around from the first game I felt pretty comfortable just being a snarky asshole whenever the situation warranted it without having to worry too much about not being able to complete some random ass quest conversation. On the bright side, there's a few more tough-but-fair Paragon options in ME2 than there seemed to be in ME1, which is a bonus. Plus, there's always the chance that I'm overestimating just how many conversation points you likely need to accomplish whatever you want, but you'd probably have to ask KvP or someone else more knowledgeable to know for sure.

*Seriously, please believe that I'm not trying to be combative about the body language tweaks that have been made. I am thrilled that progress is being made in this area at all.
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2010, 00:45 by Alex C »

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1232 on: 05 Apr 2010, 11:42 »

What did you call Ashley bitching about the aliens?
Something that actually makes sense.

All Kaiden did was whine about being pushed around by a Turian in his school when you talk to him, but otherwise his interactions outside of the Normandy with you are incredibly... Plain.  Like Alex C pointed out, all he has to say about things are just general, good two shoes thing.  Ashely, on the other hand, has a much stronger moral code but at the same time it's at odds with a lot of things.  If she were Shepard she wouldn't be entirely Renegade or entirely Paragon - she'd be a realistic balance.

Kaiden, on the other hand, is just boring to me.  He mildly complains when you do something he doesn't like - Ashley goes, "What the hell, Commander?"

As for Jacob:  I like him, but he does seem like a fish out of water with Cerberus.  It still kind of makes sense, though: if you ask him why he joined Cerberus despite its past, he says they've changed some and he wants to be with them because they're actually doing something, whereas he felt like he was wasting his time in the Alliance and with the Corsairs.  I also like him because he's an awesome squad member (pull, squad inferno ammo and high survivability?  Yes please!) and I like his theme.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1233 on: 05 Apr 2010, 13:35 »

Jacob is basically paragon shepard.

Mein Tumblr

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #1234 on: 05 Apr 2010, 14:14 »

breaking news: bioware hints at gay relationship for me3

Yaaay.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1235 on: 05 Apr 2010, 15:46 »

Jacob is basically paragon shepard.
Yeah, I really liked how Jacob acted on his loyalty mission.  And the music on that mission was very epic and catchy.

He was pissed, but he still couldn't shoot a man (and technically his own father) in cold blood.  Although you could convince Jacob to leave his dad there with everything he made, which is kind of a Sith thing to do.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1236 on: 05 Apr 2010, 17:53 »

Bioware explains

Also Kasumi tomorrow
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2010, 18:39 by Blue Kitty »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1237 on: 05 Apr 2010, 19:00 »

I always spammed the space bar to tear through her poetry recitals ASAP, personally.

well this one was in an e-mail so it was easy for it to not be cloying

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1238 on: 05 Apr 2010, 19:29 »

Bioware explains

Also Kasumi tomorrow
Bullshit you could have written it for Jack quite easily

Mein Tumblr

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #1239 on: 06 Apr 2010, 03:04 »

People were saying before that they always saved Ashley. I guess I'm kind of vindictive because when she killed Wrex on my first playthrough I have killed her every single playthough since in revenge. Regardless of whether Wrex survives that playthrough or not. Basically she just seemed like a racist country bumpkin to me so I slaughter her.

I don't find any of the humans very interesting in either game to be frank. They have their own petty motivations but nothing truly interesting or insightful as far I'm concerned. The aliens are far more interesting.

Currently trying to play renegade but with everyone surviving. Next playthrough I think will be renegade with no ship or weapon upgrades and no loyalty. Basically just play only story missions backtoback.
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1240 on: 07 Apr 2010, 15:08 »

So anyone else do the Kasumi mission yet?

I enjoyed it. Fun plot, lots of shooting, lots of fun side stuff, two fascinating Codex entries about pre-relay Earth, and a silly Dragon Age reference.

From a gameplay perspective, Kasumi has two unique abilities, Shadow Strike (hell of excellent) and Flashbang (I am not even sure I want to try it, sounds pretty useless), and the mission gives you a damn nifty SMG and a tech upgrade. Oh and platinum. Motherfuckers.

Worth $7? Ehhhhh, no probably not.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1241 on: 07 Apr 2010, 15:20 »

Flashbang (I am not even sure I want to try it, sounds pretty useless)
Improved Flashbang makes enemies incapable of shooting their weapons, using tech abilities or biotic abilities for six seconds regardless of if they have shields, barrier, or armor up.  That's not useless at all.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1242 on: 07 Apr 2010, 15:30 »

Yeah, but Shadow Strike does that PLUS massive damage PLUS it can't really be guarded against by cover.

Yeah flashbang can strike multiple enemies but goddamn I am awful at that.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1243 on: 07 Apr 2010, 15:36 »

Kasumi looks like a great addition to any team, but man I don't feel like paying 7 bucks.  Some kind of mental block there for me.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #1244 on: 07 Apr 2010, 16:15 »

I hear the mission itself is quite good and the new SMG and casual outfits are pretty boss. I'll probably buy it next time I play through ME2.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1245 on: 07 Apr 2010, 17:06 »

I'm kind of bummed you can't use Shadow Strike, but I enjoyed the mission even though i died 3 times.

I thought that was a Dragon Age reference, but I've never played the game.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1246 on: 07 Apr 2010, 17:55 »

Here's the real question: does her on-ship dialogue just resemble Zaeed's?

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #1247 on: 07 Apr 2010, 17:57 »

Yes, sadly

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #1248 on: 07 Apr 2010, 18:27 »

Yes, it does, unfortunately.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #1249 on: 07 Apr 2010, 18:33 »

I didn't really mind.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up