Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pets.  (Read 30175 times)

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
Re: Pets.
« Reply #150 on: 04 Feb 2009, 15:19 »

Thanks for the Info.  is it harder to keep Salt Water fishies?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Don't do it unless you have a LOT of time to spend on maintenance.
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #151 on: 09 Feb 2009, 23:26 »

Alright, I'm bumping this because my cat has just broken the boundaries of stupidity.  I mean, I knew he was dumb, but dang, then he has to go and chase his own damn tail.

He did this for several minutes before I finally got the camera on him.  My favorite part is where he checks behind the bed, in case it escaped.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #152 on: 10 Feb 2009, 01:07 »

Heh, that's awesome. He's all "fuck yeah, finally caught it" at the end. 
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #153 on: 10 Feb 2009, 01:14 »

Eee at about 40 seconds I started laughing so hard. What a nutter.

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #154 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:21 »

Haha all my cats do is sleep. That was adorable.
Take you to the stabbing cabin.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #155 on: 10 Feb 2009, 05:33 »

Hahaha, so cute! 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

mietteissass

« Reply #156 on: 10 Feb 2009, 10:11 »

Rini is holding Lola! And Kaylee is holding Burt Reynolds

And that is Diesel.

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #157 on: 10 Feb 2009, 10:18 »

The animals are cute, but the children are ADORABLE!!!  (i love kids, i'm sorry)

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #158 on: 10 Feb 2009, 14:57 »

I love how Diesel is all 'Yeah, I have a bow, and we all know it makes me look AWESOME.'

and, regarding the cat chasing it's own tail, my dog once got his leash caught around a chair as a pup and followed it for about five minutes. My dad was in the other room and ultimately missed it, so when he came in I put the lease back the way it was [kind of hard to explain without  a picture, but, it involved my dog running around all four legs of the chair in an attempt to reach it], and he followed it for another five minutes.

Dunnoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #159 on: 11 Feb 2009, 23:55 »

unrelated: i want a ball python as a pet

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #160 on: 12 Feb 2009, 11:45 »

I have one, and let me say, they don't require a a lot of upkeep, but they can be incredibly boring animals most of the time. I mean, I still like to get him out and wrap him around my shoulders/arms once in a while and he's a great conversation starter, but yeah. You have to make sure you have the money to be able to set that sucker up in a 40 gallon aquarium before you buy it though, and probably a couple smaller tanks before that, since it can stress them out to be in a too large environment. That said there are a ton of really cool color morphs out there.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #161 on: 12 Feb 2009, 14:30 »

I'm not crazy about reptiles as pets. They're pretty and they're definitely a conversation starter, but they don't do much and they don't actually like you. I had an iguana for a while and that was easily the least sad pet death I've experienced. I felt bad because it was my responsibility to keep him healthy and I failed at that, but I didn't actually miss his presence very much.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #162 on: 13 Feb 2009, 14:10 »

I imagine reptiles are kind of like fish. Sure they look pretty and they are kind of interesting but you can't really cuddle them.

I'm thinking of getting a rat. I'm a little worried about what I'll do if it doesn't like me, but I am also pretty intrigued about what I can try to teach it to do. When I worked at a petshop I taught a cageful of rats to climb to the top of their cage and hang from the ceiling if anyone was eating a sandwich near them. It was pretty cool.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

HellStorm

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #163 on: 14 Feb 2009, 03:31 »

Ive had lots and lots of pets. I used to live on a farm, and if there was ever a lost animal, it would be ours within 5 minutes.
I have had:
14/15 Cats
1 Dog
20 + Chickens
10 + Ducks
ALOT of Sheep - I lived in Wales...
5 Horses
1 Rabbit
15/16 Hamsters
Lots of fish
And many other things that my little brain can't remember right now ...
Now naming them all would be a much harder task :P

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #164 on: 15 Feb 2009, 06:43 »

I like rats, but I cannot have them as they creep Jon out. He's been very understanding of birds, so I hate to press my luck.

I am teaching Hubert how to whistle the Imperial March from Star Wars now. I can't wait until he gets that down pat. There will be videos. And they will be cute.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #165 on: 15 Feb 2009, 07:02 »

chase his own damn tail.

In the last apartment I lived in, our neighbor's cat used to come over and do this, usually knocking down all our couch cushions in the process.  It was hilarious.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Rolling20s

• Emoticontraindication
  • Panda loves you!
« Reply #166 on: 18 Feb 2009, 17:36 »

The Fuzz - far too big for the basket.

Mick, the attention-whore.

Caeser, the ball-less wonder.

Eli: All balls.

Lili, the purse-cat.

Bettie, the ugly kitten.

Moe, also as a kitten. (Not ugly)

And our dog, Hannah (also known as Hannah-bear or Bear-butt)

We're not having kids. Thus, we have pets, and it's absolutely wonderful.
Stephen Malkmus has entered my life. I... I never knew...

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #167 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:11 »

I think Bettie is a cute kitten.

Here is Horcrux being a "rub my belly" slut.

This picture was taken before I moved in and brushed her every day. You can tell from the matted fur.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #168 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:39 »

Speaking of cats who are too big for baskets:

My cat is a muffin.

Also, for fun, I present CREEPY ANIMALS LOOKING DIRECTLY INTO YOUR EYES.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #169 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:44 »

Ew, hedgehogs have possum faces.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #170 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:46 »

And fleas; don't forget the fleas...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mallli_kite

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #171 on: 19 Feb 2009, 08:51 »

I think has been my favorite thread in the forum.  I love the fuzzy animals!

Currently we have 6 cats and one bird (she's a bad-ass bird).  We just moved from a big house to a small townhome and of course, we ended up adopting a local stray kitten who is currently terrorizing the older cats, so the house is REALLY crowded.  But, like a lot of folks, we will not have children, so we do pets.  Makes my mother-in-law crazy.

We did have dogs, but the last one died about a year before we moved (and we knew we were moving, so...).  The younger cats miss her.  She was not so sure about them.  It was fairly funny watching a 50+ lb dog be terrified of an 8 pound cat.  

I've had several birds, but Sweetie is the most unusual. She's a ring necked parakeet, one of the meanest of the parrotlets, and not usually kept as a pet.  She belonged to my dad, part of his personal bird sanctuary, but she was so mean that when he died I knew I couldn't place her with a new home.  As it happened, she completely loved ME -- me, and nobody else but me.  I'm her 3rd owner, so it's just weird that she waited that long to bond to anyone.  We think she's around 15 years old now.  She goes completely cluckipated when I talk to her, and I'm the only one who can really handle her.  She bites hunks out of everyone else, including the cats.  And she's TINY.  Just tiny and fierce.  Also, VERY LOUD.  She has to live on the enclosed front porch because she starts squawking and you cannot hear anything in the house.

So, grand total of pets

6 dogs
7 birds
assorted fish (we are thinking about a new aquarium, for Kitty TV, but haven't done it yet).
12 cats

We have a history of adopting sick, unwanted animals and caring for them through their last days, too -- four of those so far.  Not a duty I want, really, but I cannot easily turn my back on an animal in need.

I hope we can move back to a regular house in a few years, so I can get another dog.  I love Goldens, but I'm thinking about a Corgi next time.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2009, 08:53 by Mallli_kite »
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

Reed

« Reply #172 on: 19 Feb 2009, 09:36 »

This thread really makes me miss my dog, Atticus. Here's the last picture I have of him:

Edit: Fuck you photobucket, that picture was supposed to be smaller!
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2009, 09:52 by Dire bacterium »
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Mallli_kite

« Reply #173 on: 19 Feb 2009, 09:43 »

Atticus was a really goodlooking dog.

I miss every animal I ever had that has passed away.  The worst have been a kitten I adopted years ago -- Othello -- who caught Feline Aids in the animal shelter and god very sick.  Just recently we took care of a local stray we called CowKitty for his big cow spots.  He was such a sweetie, so soft, not really smart, and we were trying to find a home for him, but he had Feline Aids too, and we had to put him down.  I cried for a good two days.  I know he would have gotten terribly sick, and he would have given the disease to other cats, but I still feel a little like I betrayed him when I took him to the vet and found out, and then didn't come get him afterwards.

It does no good to try not to fall in love with an animal.  It happens despite my best efforts.

Reed

« Reply #174 on: 19 Feb 2009, 09:54 »

Yeah, he was also one of the friendliest dogs I've ever known. He was about 100 pounds (you can't really see how big he is in the picture), and I always thought it was funny when people would be scared of him, because not only was he friendly, but he was scared of any dark colored inanimate objects that moved.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Mallli_kite

« Reply #175 on: 19 Feb 2009, 10:00 »

The Golden Retriever I had as a teen was about that large -- he was goofy and too smart, and he loved everyone.  When I got a kitten, he adopted it.  She refused to live in the house at one point (We lived in a semi-rural area) and she moved into his dog house.  She would go into his house, climb over him, lay down, and PUSH HIM OVER with her paws so she could have the warm spot.  And he'd MOVE.  When he got sick, she followed him everywhere, keeping an eye on him.

Eek.  It's turning into the Pets Who Died Thread.  Nooooo!  I'll start crying all over again.  My pets are my vulnerable spot.  Few people mean as much to me as my critters do.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #176 on: 19 Feb 2009, 10:45 »

Atticus is so handsome!

My family dog Sunny is the exact opposite, small, but very brave (though slightly less motivated to be brave in her old age). She isn't aggressive, but she places herself firmly between family members and new people and sounds like a much larger dog when she barks.

Rolling20s

• Emoticontraindication
  • Panda loves you!
« Reply #177 on: 20 Feb 2009, 12:47 »

Every time I see a poster of some kind that states that there's a kitten up for adoption somewhere I have to restrain myself. We're pretty full as it is, but it's hard to resist the draw of an animal that might need help. My wife is more emotional when it comes to the pets, but she's the more practical of the two of us, so we seem to have reached a good equilibrium.

I still want to help her save stray kitties, though.

Mallli_kite

« Reply #178 on: 20 Feb 2009, 13:54 »

Every time I see a poster of some kind that states that there's a kitten up for adoption somewhere I have to restrain myself. We're pretty full as it is, but it's hard to resist the draw of an animal that might need help. My wife is more emotional when it comes to the pets, but she's the more practical of the two of us, so we seem to have reached a good equilibrium.

I still want to help her save stray kitties, though.

My local vet has large cages in the front area with kittens up for adoption.  Every time I go to the vet I have to see all the cats, and it is so hard not to scoop all of them up and take them home.  But I know I can't, so I just pet them a little and try not to think about it -- and all my animals are spayed/neutered.

Rolling20s

• Emoticontraindication
  • Panda loves you!
« Reply #179 on: 20 Feb 2009, 14:11 »

My local vet has large cages in the front area with kittens up for adoption.  Every time I go to the vet I have to see all the cats, and it is so hard not to scoop all of them up and take them home.  But I know I can't, so I just pet them a little and try not to think about it -- and all my animals are spayed/neutered.

Same thing here whenever we go into a PetSmart or similar store. Also same for the spaying/neutering. Must be a responsible pet owner.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #180 on: 23 Feb 2009, 11:49 »

Proof that my husband's cat is an odd one: Here she is eating all the spinach my birds didn't finish.

And here's a slightly more recent video of Hubert's singing practice. He's got the tune pretty well memorized, but he sure does get distracted easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndyFOYYAnLo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #181 on: 23 Feb 2009, 12:13 »

And Kaylee is holding Burt Reynolds

I know I've said it before, but that name makes you the most awesome person.

Especially the fact that you always call him by his full name. It makes for the best sentences on Earth.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #182 on: 23 Feb 2009, 12:16 »

Sandy, I'm not usually a fan of birds, but I like your bird. 

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #183 on: 23 Feb 2009, 12:52 »

Lookit the Tuxedo-cat

And even in a cape

Her name is Evey.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #184 on: 23 Feb 2009, 16:45 »

Sandy, I'm not usually a fan of birds, but I like your bird. 

He would be happy to hear that because he is an attention whore and really likes people!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up