THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 15:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doing weird things to your body for money  (Read 2581 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
Doing weird things to your body for money
« on: 17 Feb 2009, 21:26 »

As some of you may have saw, one of my friend's is shaving his head for cancer research. I think its a pretty worthwhile cause, and a totally fun way to get people to donate.

After thinking about it for a bit, I decided that it might be a good idea for me to join in, and become a "shavee" myself. I can only come up with two reasons for not doing this. One is easily fixed. The first and fixable problem is: I'm not really sure if there is any place locally where I could go to get shaved. Since I mostly walk places, this could pose a big problem. However, I've got my friend looking for a place closer to me to use. If push comes to shove, I can always take the day off and go do it in St. Louis with him.

My other problem is: I don't know if I could raise enough money. I mean I want to raise $200 to $300. I don't have a super whole lot of hair to shave off. I'm not really all that sure people would donate much to me.

What do you guys think? Should I do it? Has anyone done it before? What was it like?
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2009, 21:39 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: Doing weird things to your body for money
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2009, 21:55 »

I did it about 7 years ago now, when I was in Primary School. It was kinda cool, I raised a fair bit of money and my hair was all spiky for a while. I only wish that I had gone nuts with colouring and shit before I did it.

But anyway, you may as well.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2009, 22:23 »

Sounds like a good plan. I enjoy the program for the cause, and it gives the world more short haired girls, which is never bad.
I remember when our school did it, I wasn't there that day, but a teacher got his arm hair shaven off for it...
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

Kylos

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Myspace?
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2009, 23:42 »

It was a less noble cause, but my workmate got our friend's name tattooed on her foot for some money to go on holiday with.
She made one hundred of our finest english pounds for that.
The second friend also paid yet another one of our work mates £5 to punch her in the arm.
I think he likes spending money.
I hope we mess things up in a huge and beautiful fashion.

Pernix takes the rat and uses it as a peen sock.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2009, 23:45 »

As a fundraiser, my fraternity does something called "Shave the music", where brothers sign up to be sheared if the most people donate into their bin. But that depends on a group of people who are both: willing to get shaved and willing to pay to see somebody (anybody in that group) shaved.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2009, 05:52 »

I did this with my high school a few years ago, mainly inspired by my little cousin who was sick with leukemia, I grew my hair out for about five months and then let a friend of mine go at it with an electric razor in front of the school. I managed to raise about $800 which was donated to the Make a Wish Foundation. I suppose it's a bit more difficult to do if you're not in high school but try looking for a local cancer charity, odds are they host an event like this at least once a year, that way you can do the head shave in front of a large and excited crowd. And if your hair is long enough you can donate it after you cut it to make wigs for people going through radiation therapy.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2009, 06:00 »

Somehow I had expected this to be about prostitution by now.
I'll come back later.
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Gilead

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2009, 06:46 »

Next movember I am doing it in reverse, I'm going to grow a horrible moustache and refuse to shave it until a certain amount of charity donations are given.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2009, 07:12 »

i have a friend with lots of tattoos and one of them is the word "its" on her ankle. when i asked her about it, she told me about a writer named shelley jackson who had a project in which volunteers were recruited to each get a tattoo of a different word from a short story of hers. the story was never published in print, it exists in tattoo form on about 2100 people instead. on her website is a map showing the different cities of residence of each of the words.

not technically done for money but i thought this was a pretty cool thing anyway.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2009, 17:08 »

My god that is awesome.

I'd love to check 2100 people out from the library some time and have a read. 
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:22 »

I'd like to do this but I just don't have the balls.

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:33 »

I'd love to check 2100 people out from the library some time and have a read. 

I had completely forgotten what this was in reference to. Makes reading this quote far more interesting.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Abigmoron

• Plantmonster
« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2009, 12:50 »

I'd like to do this but I just don't have the balls.

I really think you should consider it.

I felt the same way the first time I did it.  I'd had long hair for the entirety of my life and I was super apprehensive about shaving it all off, but once I got down to it, it was a trade off between cancer research and my vanity.

You'll feel great once it's done.  And hair grows back.  I did it every year in high school, but now I'm in college and with no avenue for head-shaving charity, I've resumed long-haired hippie status.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2009, 19:43 »

Somehow I had expected this to be about prostitution by now.
I'll come back later.
I was hoping people were doing weird things so forumites would give them money.

I was very disappointed.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM
Pages: [1]   Go Up