THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Oct 2024, 01:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

alright, time for predictions about next week.

New letter from wil, enclosed is his ear.
- 11 (10.1%)
Arson!  Then they forget about it after a few days and they become hindus.
- 0 (0%)
Faye shacks up with... um, argument guy?
- 11 (10.1%)
Marten remembers that he is in a band.
- 37 (33.9%)
Hannelore!  Is she ever involved in a story arc?  Ever?
- 5 (4.6%)
Nothing but Sweet-Tits.  After a few months, Jeph dismisses QC as a mistake.
- 24 (22%)
HEY.  MURPHY'S LAW, JACKASS.
- 7 (6.4%)
Hannelore into cyborg's lesbian slips and her turn Hannelore a room.
- 14 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: Feb 23 - 27  (Read 81693 times)

smilesvssmirks

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCT: Feb 23 - 27
« Reply #200 on: 25 Feb 2009, 20:31 »

Because sometimes I like playing with matches in the room with all the open jars of nitroglycerin ...

How different would people's reaction to the strip be in the roles were reversed, Dora cheated on Marten and Sven's first reaction was a left hook that knocked her to the floor?  :cry:

I'll bite. Since no one else has.
The real reason that would send people up in arms is less "Oh my god, a dude punched a chick" and more that it would be a completely different situation.

Firstly because if Dora cheated on Marten and Sven punched her his behavior would come off as a bit ridiculous seeing as how he has no place to judge or condemn people for their relationship habits. The dude hasn't had a long-term healthy relationship in god knows how long. People would be thinking "where the fuck does this guy get off?"

Secondly, Marten and Sven aren't bffs. If Marten gets his heart crushed by Dora sleeping around Sven doesn't have to give him a shoulder to cry on or even go out drinking with the guy. He doesn't work with him every day. The whole thing would effect him marginally less than the current scenario does Dora.

Not to mention the fact that Marten doesn't suffer from crippling intimacy, trust, and abandonment issues. The odds of a nasty breakup sending Marten into a possibly cataclysmic therapy relapse downward spiral are pretty slim. Though Faye seem to be handling things well enough, so far. So good for her.

Also, I'm with everyone on understanding why Faye might direct her anger at Gina Riversmith. I'm not saying it's justified or deserved, really. But I can see how it's a pretty normal reaction. Sometimes when someone you genuinely care about hurts you, you want to find a way so its not their fault. You want to believe how could they possibly do this to you, so you place all the blame on the third party and then it doesn't feel so much like the person you care about was out right cold heartedly disregarding your emotions.

Lastly, I wish people would stop referencing the convo from 1307 because it was a ridiculous exchange to begin with. Sven says things aren't monogamous and then Faye says, ok but no sleeping with anybody else. She basically just gave him the definition of monogamy! The whole thing was essentially Sven saying "Alright. I won't fuck any one else. Until, you know. I do."

Anyway, I'm doubting a rekindling is in store for any time in the near future at least. Faye is too angry/bitter and Sven is too prideful/stubborn.

Oh, this even only keeps getting better.

So your definition of "true" friends includes the ability to sweet-talk ?

Someone who is bad with words cannot be a true friend ?

You don't have to be good with words to have the ability to cheer someone up. My bf has the ability to shake me from the worst of panicky/depressed moods without saying much of anything at all, just by being there and having an arm. Same goes for my roommate, she breaks out the Dawsons Creek box set, ritz crackers, and easy cheese and within a few hours I feel better.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #201 on: 25 Feb 2009, 21:33 »

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 21:38 by ysth »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #202 on: 25 Feb 2009, 21:36 »

There is also this one:

Cats In The Sun
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #203 on: 25 Feb 2009, 21:45 »

DAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hanners awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #204 on: 25 Feb 2009, 22:28 »

Having no siblings of my own I'm not exactly sure how the dynamic works but I hear a good person to help you sort yourself out is a sibling.
Ha ha. No. Unless, I suppose, you're wanting some advice to go against. That's been my experience, anyway. I'm sure someone is going to pipe up now and say, "My little/big/twin brother/sister  knows me like no one else does." Probably true. It's that 'like' that's the kicker.

I've seen slime.  Sven hasn't made it there yet.  He COULD, yeah, and he might, but he still has potential.  I'm holding out hope until Sven steps off the cliff into the realm of the irredeemable.
I agree he's not slime. Yet. But I get the feeling Sven has no idea how close his self-justification is bringing a state of oozing viscousness. I think most us of can agree Sven's reached a crossroads: grow, or grow slimy.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #205 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:58 »

Damn, I want that book so bad.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #206 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:18 »

Lastly, I wish people would stop referencing the convo from 1307 because it was a ridiculous exchange to begin with. Sven says things aren't monogamous and then Faye says, ok but no sleeping with anybody else. She basically just gave him the definition of monogamy! The whole thing was essentially Sven saying "Alright. I won't fuck any one else. Until, you know. I do."

Remember, though... Sven just referenced it, too. So, even if it's ridiculous, it's in play...

Mallli_kite

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #207 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:13 »

I've seen slime.  Sven hasn't made it there yet.  He COULD, yeah, and he might, but he still has potential.  I'm holding out hope until Sven steps off the cliff into the realm of the irredeemable.
I agree he's not slime. Yet. But I get the feeling Sven has no idea how close his self-justification is bringing a state of oozing viscousness. I think most us of can agree Sven's reached a crossroads: grow, or grow slimy.

Oh, agreed, agreed in a large way.  He's on that cliff edge.  I'm just holding out a hope that he will back away slowly, turn around, and decide to be a little more decent.  He doesn't have to go whole hog, as perfect people are incredibly annoying, but a little sincere introspection is in order.

As for the sibling thing -- no one can get on your case like a sib, especially if you are close (if you aren't then it's either they are bored or they are sadistic).  I think Dora's reaction is, at least a little, that she feels 1) his behavior reflects on her, so if he's an ass, she's caught in the ass aura 2) She has a pretty high moral standard for herself (I mean, come on, beating yourself up because you date a guy another girl REFUSED to date?  Them's some high standards) and it might be a bit tough to have near-slime as a brother. 3) She senses Sven is coasting now, but has a major meltdown in his future, and because she loves him, she will kick his ass until he wakes up before he's swirling down the toilet.

And, of course, in dramatic narrative terms, watching a near-slime move up the chain is more interesting, because there's always room for slippage and so forth.
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

lisavilisa

• Plantmonster
« Reply #208 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:27 »

Does Faye seem thinner in these last few strips?

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #209 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:38 »

First time I've heard of that website - so Jeph you can direct the comments to:

Border Reiver
3rd granite boulder to the right of the big pine tree
Ottawa ON  Canada

I hope that they have enough toothpaste in the apartment though, that much saccharine will give you tooth decay faster than "Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs"
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Superkid11

• Obscure cultural reference
  • New teeth!
« Reply #210 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:53 »

Does Faye seem thinner in these last few strips?
Having sex with Sven is good for weight loss.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #211 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:56 »

Kitty Book!

Awwwww....

*melts*

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

deuxmind

• Not quite a lurker
  • lol magic.
    • My Arts
« Reply #212 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:41 »

And because of this strip i just spent a half hour at Cute Overload.

:3
“I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying.”

Mallli_kite

« Reply #213 on: 26 Feb 2009, 09:02 »

Don't go, Deuxmind.  It will rot your brain!

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #214 on: 26 Feb 2009, 09:16 »

Or your teeth.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

deuxmind

• Not quite a lurker
  • lol magic.
    • My Arts
« Reply #215 on: 26 Feb 2009, 09:51 »

Oh good god, not my teeth.  Anything but my teeth!  :X
“I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying.”

Mallli_kite

« Reply #216 on: 26 Feb 2009, 10:35 »

Oh good god, not my teeth.  Anything but my teeth!  :X

Remember to floss.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #217 on: 26 Feb 2009, 13:38 »

Cute comic, cute link...

So - How long til Sven and Faye are back at it???

:laugh:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Econoline

• Plantmonster
« Reply #218 on: 26 Feb 2009, 13:50 »

I'm thinking that Sven will be much more hurt by this than Faye, who has supportive friends and "I should've expected this" to fall back on. Sven didn't want this, didn't expect this, has no one to blame but himself, and now has to stew in his own juices. Undoubtedly a new experience for him.

But hey, he's a country music songwriter...maybe he'll get some good songs out of the experience!
There's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mallli_kite

« Reply #219 on: 26 Feb 2009, 14:19 »

But hey, he's a country music songwriter...maybe he'll get some good songs out of the experience!

Oh, and it will be a big hit for Gina Riversmith...

ModernRonin

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #220 on: 26 Feb 2009, 14:22 »

That is both hilarious and brilliant! I can just imagine a drunken Sven, flopping all over his couch, unable to hold onto his guitar, making bad, slurry recordings of songs like: "Mah girl left me, and now mah cat done left me too". (Though I guess, this being country music, he'd have to make it his dog.)

But to be honest, I was hoping Sven would go into overcompensation mode, burying himself in a never-ending stream of meaningless sex with girls he doesn't care about. Only to realize, after about the fifty-third one, that it isn't helping and he's still not happy. Ah, karma... I love it when you come around!
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2009, 13:54 by ModernRonin »

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #221 on: 26 Feb 2009, 14:38 »

Oh ow, that'd be some nasty irony there...

I love it!

:evil:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Mallli_kite

« Reply #222 on: 26 Feb 2009, 14:54 »

I love it!

And later, Gina would be found naked and unconscious behind some dive bar with taser contacts in her back and strange little footprints in cake batter on her face.  Pictures on the internet cannot be traced by her lawyers.

Oh, the story ideas, they just flow.

Kaitydid08

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #223 on: 26 Feb 2009, 16:32 »

I laughed at Marten's punchline that the Big Book of Kitties probably sells better than the Big Book of Third World Poverty. I'll bet it does... I'll bet it does.

Milesb

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #224 on: 26 Feb 2009, 17:02 »

cause that ain't a creepy thing to say...? =P

I feel like Faye's doing the usual woman thing here and feeling sorry for herself openly to one and all then being vaguely indignant if people already know about her woes before she can explain it. It's a pretty normal way of dealing with things.

I however, still feel sorry for Sven. He's an asshole of sorts yes, but he doesnt really want to be. He's been trying not to be and now he's screwed it up for himself. I pity Faye as the victim of the circumstances, but I probably feel more sorry for Sven for bringing it upon himself.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #225 on: 26 Feb 2009, 17:30 »

That is both hilarious and brilliant! I can just imagine a drunken Sven, flopping all over his couch, unable to hold onto his guitar, making bad, slurry recordings of songs like: "Mah girl left me, and now I mah cat done left me too".)
Speaking of which, and because it's been so long since anyone asked, where is Princess?

Actually, I don't expect Sven to get drunk about what's happened, since that would indicate he feels really bad about the way things have gone, not just...sorry. And this wasn't really bad, just inevitable. Right? Right.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mallli_kite

« Reply #226 on: 26 Feb 2009, 17:42 »

Speaking of which, and because it's been so long since anyone asked, where is Princess?

Well, pets in strips, if they aren't characters in their own right, tend to appear only when useful to a gag, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.  She's probably busy peeing under the couch somewhere.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #227 on: 26 Feb 2009, 17:49 »

Either that, or she's off ploting the overthrow of AnthroPC's and Humans with the rest of her kind.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mallli_kite

« Reply #228 on: 26 Feb 2009, 18:01 »

Either that, or she's off ploting the overthrow of AnthroPC's and Humans with the rest of her kind.

We are safe until they develop thumbs.

Mojo

« Reply #229 on: 26 Feb 2009, 18:11 »

Am I the only one that thought Hanners was wearing a t-shirt mimicking Faye's scar?

Mallli_kite

« Reply #230 on: 26 Feb 2009, 18:17 »

Am I the only one that thought Hanners was wearing a t-shirt mimicking Faye's scar?

Not her scar -- emoticon    :I  Aside from the somewhat awkward boobsquishing pose, it's also centered.  Although Faye's scar moves around like Watson's war wound, it wasn't centered.

Tybalt

• Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #231 on: 26 Feb 2009, 21:38 »

Kitty book?  The REAL comfort for Hannelore is...
SEX    4 (6.7%)
SEX    1 (1.7%)
SEX    2 (3.3%)
SEX    0 (0%)
heavyoak    8 (13.3%)
SEX    6 (10%)
therapy    14 (23.3%)
Hannelore slips into Hannelore's room and turns her into a cyborg lesbian.    25 (41.7%)

So people, I tracked down EXACTLY when Hannelore turned into Hanners!  Here, and then further proof here.  Note, I am not being critical, I am just doing the nerdy thing that I [don't] need to do.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

Tybalt

• Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #232 on: 26 Feb 2009, 21:49 »

Wow.  I'm actually proud of this one.  looks like the last two non-polls were just what I needed?
...and that's why I eat bugs.

Guido Sarducci

• FIGHT YOU
  • It'sa notta so bad...
« Reply #233 on: 26 Feb 2009, 21:58 »

PINTSIZE HAS CHEST HAIR!

okay, now I can go to bed.
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly." Donald Rumsfeld

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #234 on: 26 Feb 2009, 22:44 »

Yikes, that's a scary look in the next-to-last panel.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #235 on: 26 Feb 2009, 23:47 »

Ewww.

Nuff said.
Carpe Diem

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #236 on: 26 Feb 2009, 23:56 »

Oh, sweet Jesus.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #237 on: 27 Feb 2009, 01:17 »

Making Faye the second QC lady to reject a robot boyfriend.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SirFozzie

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #238 on: 27 Feb 2009, 01:24 »

My mind just broke into a million billion little itty bitty pieces.

tweetles

« Reply #239 on: 27 Feb 2009, 01:31 »

Haha oh i missed sleazy pintsize.
But god the images that conjured up in my head it burns.

DrDavidson

• Not quite a lurker
  • tweet tweet, bitches
« Reply #240 on: 27 Feb 2009, 02:02 »

Yikes, that's a scary look in the next-to-last panel.

It definitely rocks. Like she didn't know whether to laugh, scream, or just "pintsize"-forget about it. Great one.
The genius of the hole: No matter how much time you spend climbing out, you can still fall back down in an instant.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #241 on: 27 Feb 2009, 04:45 »

Faye's reaction is most definitely justified - the 70s porn 'stache and chest hair are creepier on him than on a real human - and that's saying something.

and Jeph - go with smaller bottles of sparkling wine rather than the normal magnums, less wastage.  And besides, the clean up can still be fun if you do it together...

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #242 on: 27 Feb 2009, 05:06 »

Funniest strip in a long time.

We need more Pintsize...

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #243 on: 27 Feb 2009, 05:25 »

I love it!

Actually, so do I.

Isn't this generally when Skawronska jumps in and says "WAHAHAHA FAYE'S IN PAIN THIS IS SO GIVING ME A BONER I NEED A DRINK BURN FAYE BURN", thus elegantly refuting the existing argument that Sven's being kind of a prick and Faye's handling it fairly well?

Yes, dammit.  Sorry about that.  Missed my cue.

You're an excellent understudy.

And now, some song lyrics...feel free to skip these over...

"I'm all out of rum
I'm so lost without it
I know Jeph is right
For letting Faye burn like...

I'm all out of rum
What am I without it
I can't be too late
To go get some more to-night"

-- With apologies to Air Supply and anyone who actually likes that song.

S
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2009, 05:42 by Mr. Skawronska »
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Mallli_kite

« Reply #244 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:31 »

Pintsize looks like he's been watching old "Magnum PI" episodes....yeeech!

Dustpan and broom in the corner, glue on the shelf, for the repair of all the minds broken by that last panel. 

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #245 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:47 »

Yeah I was thinking that. is that Tom Selleck or Pintsize. I just couldn't get my head around it...

Actually reminded me of a scene in Friends with Tom Selleck in it
There is no sin except stupidity

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #246 on: 27 Feb 2009, 09:54 »

Hopefully, despite Jeph's post on the RSS, those aren't pubes again on Pintsize's face. At least they aren't Steve's pubes

As for the poll, Hanners has had an arc or three. Her mother's visit, the BF-bot, her mother's accounts, and the Worry Hat come to mind.

Also, I'd love to see Faye give Angus (Argument Guy) a chance. <Runs as decayed produce, old shoes, and god-knows-what-else is thrown at him by the QC Angus Hate Squad>

<Peeks around wall> I don't know if it'd go anywhere, but who knows? <Runs again>

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #247 on: 27 Feb 2009, 09:57 »

Well we've got a weekend to speculate what the author has in store for us - who knows someone may even get it right!

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #248 on: 27 Feb 2009, 11:30 »

And just to spite us, next week is going to be GUEST COMICS ONLY woooo!
There is no sin except stupidity

moshimoshi_haihai

« Reply #249 on: 27 Feb 2009, 11:34 »

Well we've got a weekend to speculate what the author has in store for us - who knows someone may even get it right!
doubtful, but god knows we keep trying.

i like argument guy! maybe Faye will go to the bar, see him there and instead of drinking, "shack" up with him and thank him forever and always for saving her from a downward spiral into booze, self loathing, and a Dr. Corinne appearance. they fall in love.

oh, how my dreams deceive me.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up