THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oscars  (Read 13650 times)

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
Oscars
« on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:45 »

I was really pleased with last night's Academy Awards. I thought the way they changed the format was very interesting and Hugh Jackman did a fantastic job hosting. A little sorry that Mickey Rourke didn't get Best Actor, but Sean Penn did a fantastic job in Milk - he deserved it too.

Heath Ledger's posthumous Best Supporting? Slumdog's Best Picture? Goldie Hawn's super-weird-looking boobs? Tell me what you thought!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Oscars
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:52 »

I thought Wall-E should have won in every category it was nominated for, including best song. I mean, c'mon, Peter Gabriel?! That song was awesome and I'm going to look it up right now to listen to it.

Other than that I thought that Mickey Rourke should have won lead as well, Even Sean Penn thought so. Not to say that I didn't love Penn, and I'm glad how this year's Oscar ceremonies worked towards honoring everyone who had been nominated rather than just the winners.

And lastly I didn't realize that the girl from Mama Mia was also the idiot one in Mean Girls until my brother pointed it out, and we both laughed and I said while cupping a man-boob "There's a twenty percent chance that its raining right now!"
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:03 »

Jackman brought a lot of awesome to the show.

Which was probably the only good decision the Academy made. With the exception of Heath's token dead guy Oscar, TDK was even snubbed in the technical awards.

How lovely for the Academy that they've now managed to find a way to fuck over blockbusters in favor of their bullshit.

Fuck 'em. It's a worthless song and dance anymore.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:43 »

Meh, I though TDK should've won for art direction, considering that the movie that actually won in that category was terrible. I think best special effects should've gone to
Iron Man though. Something about that movie, that suit was the best thing ever.

But seriously, Wall-E should've won for sound design and mixing, unlike the other movies nominated Wall-E was completely built from the ground up soundwise, and the results are far more spectacular and realistic than I think a lot of people realize. There is no nat. sound in animation to use as a base, its much harder to work with.

Jackman did a similar thing when he hosted the Golden Globes a couple of years ago, right? Did a Gotta Dance medley I think.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Reed

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:50 »

But seriously, Wall-E should've won for sound design and mixing, unlike the other movies nominated Wall-E was completely built from the ground up soundwise, and the results are far more spectacular and realistic than I think a lot of people realize.

I completely agree! Of course, I might be biased since I've known Ben Burtt's son since we were 6.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2009, 11:40 »

Did you know that Hugh Jackman is married to an older woman and has a few adopted children? And that he's always really loved his mother? And that he is a veteran of the theatre?

Sounds like my kind of guy.

And the Dark Knight got the award it best deserved. Ledger was the best part of that movie.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2009, 11:59 »

Its true, but its sorta annoying considering that nearly everyone in that category deserved to win it this year.

And Ben Burtt did such a good fucking job on that movie, seriously. I envy you for having met him (I'm assuming you have anyway, if you've known his son for so long)

Neebin

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2009, 13:19 »

I am gonna have to agree Wall-E should have won more... ESPECIALLY the song!
That song was wonderful.

I found Jackman to be charming and very entertaining. He was a great host and it wasn't about him plugging his jokes like some hosts from other years.
 Oh and I lol'd at the comment about Goldie Hawn's wierd looking boobs. I thought her dress was too low and her bra between her boobs showed or something.

The Pinapple express clip was funny and I totally loved James Franco. He is sooo cute in his character!

Miniluv

• Not quite a lurker
    • My Last.fm
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2009, 14:46 »

Agreed about Mickey. The Wrestler was, at least for a former wrestling fan, one of the best movies I have ever seen. As for tits, SARAHJESSICAPARKERWHATTHEFUCK.

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2009, 15:31 »

Did you know that Hugh Jackman is married to an older woman and has a few adopted children? And that he's always really loved his mother? And that he is a veteran of the theatre?

Sounds like my kind of guy.

And the Dark Knight got the award it best deserved. Ledger was the best part of that movie.
Jackman's married? To a woman?
Also Wall-e is the sound king. At least Burt worked on one of the sound winners.

Reed

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2009, 15:40 »

And Ben Burtt did such a good fucking job on that movie, seriously. I envy you for having met him (I'm assuming you have anyway, if you've known his son for so long)

Not only have I met him, but I've held the Oscar he won for Star Wars! He's actually a really awesome guy, although it's been a few years since I've seen him.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2009, 16:08 »

GOD WHAT THE FUCK WAS UP WITH GOLDIE HAWNS TITS
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2009, 16:17 »

Oh yeah, how come only one of us so far has mentioned the Pineapple Express bit? That was absolutely hilarious and really helped make the night.

pharmmajor

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:03 »

I was really pleased with last night's Academy Awards. I thought the way they changed the format was very interesting and Hugh Jackman did a fantastic job hosting. A little sorry that Mickey Rourke didn't get Best Actor, but Sean Penn did a fantastic job in Milk - he deserved it too.

While Milk was a good film, I don't think that Sean Penn should've been given the award. First off, he's an arrogant prick, and this will only serve to further boost his already inflated ego. Secondly, and this is probably me, but I think it was foolish that the role of one of the most prominent gay-rights activists wasn't given to a gay actor.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:19 »

And that has absolutely nothing to do with his acting, which was pretty superb.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2009, 17:35 »

While Milk was a good film, I don't think that Sean Penn should've been given the award. First off, he's an arrogant prick, and this will only serve to further boost his already inflated ego. Secondly, and this is probably me, but I think it was foolish that the role of one of the most prominent gay-rights activists wasn't given to a gay actor.

Yeah I was pretty mad when I found out Batman wasn't being played by an actual super hero.

tweetles

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:02 »

And man lets not even get into Robert Downey Jnr. GOSH!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:06 »

What are you talking about? Dude was playing an actor.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:12 »

His personality aside, and I can't comment on that either way, Penn is a brilliant actor. He became Harvey Milk in that movie. I was seriously astounded. Penn is one of the few working actors today that always inhabits his roles to an incredible degree. I rarely watch Sean Penn acting and think "oh look, Sean Penn is acting." He's nearly always incredibly convincing and obviously puts a huge amount into creating the characters he portrays. Rourke was indeed great and I think he probably deserved the award but Penn was undeniably fantastic and so I'm not too annoyed by that choice.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:19 »

I thought the entire show was pretty lackluster. Whoever was directing the camerawork needs some help. It was especially egregious during the obituary montage; I really don't think anyone gives a shit about Queen Latifah singing, or the fascinating grey backdrop. ZOOM. IN.

Apart from that, Wall-E should have won best song, Anne Hathaway should've won best actress, and Cuba Gooding Jr. should not be allowed anywhere near the Oscar stage, ever. The Pineapple Express bit was great, and Jackman's introduction wasn't bad. He totally disappeared after that though, Will Smith had about as much stage time as he did.

And yeah, what the fuck Goldie Hawn's tits. What. The. Fuck.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

tweetles

« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:28 »

But Downey Jnr was playing an Australian...

Anyway out of the realm of silliness I believe the fact that Penn is Heterosexual shouldnt matter. Gay actors should only play gays? um no. Penn did a wonderful job in milk and he deserve the award.

What is which some of these older actresses being all about the boobs. come on now, Jabbing someone in the eye with your titties doesnt make you young.

Overall I enjoyed the oscars - though I cant say I actually sat and watched the whole thing...

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:34 »

The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that they created a "Best Animated Feature Film" category.  Its existence automatically excludes any animated movie from winning "Best Picture" - EVER.  I have no doubt that Wall-E would have won Best Picture, had they not segregated animated movies into their own category.  I don't get it - Beauty and the Beast was a contender for Best Picture.  It just ticks me off that the Academy seems to have an innate disdain for certain genres (action movies, comedies, fantasy movies, etc) because they aren't considered "art."  Even though Return of the King won Best Picture, it seemed like a sympathy vote.  

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2009, 18:59 »

Yeah I was pretty mad when I found out Batman wasn't being played by an actual super hero.
wait. christian bale isn't batman in real life?
what? why was I not informed?

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2009, 20:02 »

BAD CHOICES

The Oscars for me are just as much about whose boobs look good and whose don't. Seriously. I always end up commenting on boobs. Is that weird.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2009, 20:04 by allison »
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2009, 20:13 »

Goldie Hawn was easy to ignore whilst on stage with Sophia Loren, who looked positively terrifying.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2009, 22:27 »

Goldie Hawn was easy to ignore whilst on stage with Sophia Loren, who looked positively terrifying.

QTF.

Here's my main beef - Why Charlton Heston snubbed??  During the tribute to the people who passed on this year, two things struck me. 

1) Hardly anyone clapped.  What the hell?  What, you people gonna let a little politics get in the way of giving Heston his well-deserved due?  Ridiculous!!

2) The montage itself was a disgrace.  Paul Newman get a special section of clips, but nothing for Charlton Heston??  Not one clip of Heston with his face in the net, yelling "Get your hands off me, you damn dirty ape!!"?  Nothing from Ben-Hur, which won 11 Oscars??  I mean, come on, this man helped MAKE Hollywood!  It's a disgrace.

Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2009, 22:32 »

IIRC, they said they were going to reduce edit audience applause during the "In Memoriam" segment.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2009, 22:46 »

If you're interested in the bureaucratic  hell that is Oscars behind the scenes, here is a post from the very talented filmmaker who was hired to edit the In Memoriam sequence.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=156658

It starts to get interesting on the third page.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2009, 23:43 »

I have a few friends who are all whiney about Ledger because they insist he won just because he's dead. Personally, I don't give a crap; I think his performance was good enough where it's a decent call either way in light of the competition. It's not really as egregious as Peter Finch's win for Network was anyway. This btw, isn't intended as a slight against Finch. It's intended as a slight against the Academy for snubbing Robert God Damn De Niro as Travis Bickle. Honestly.

Neebin

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2009, 04:07 »

I though Ledgers Performance was great in TDK however, I really didn't like that he won.
The reason is that I don't like how everyone glorifies someone who is dead. Death does not make a person a saint.
Plus I found that it brought the whole mood down. It just seems so morbid imo.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2009, 09:18 »

The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that they created a "Best Animated Feature Film" category.  Its existence automatically excludes any animated movie from winning "Best Picture" - EVER.  I have no doubt that Wall-E would have won Best Picture, had they not segregated animated movies into their own category.  I don't get it - Beauty and the Beast was a contender for Best Picture.  It just ticks me off that the Academy seems to have an innate disdain for certain genres (action movies, comedies, fantasy movies, etc) because they aren't considered "art."  Even though Return of the King won Best Picture, it seemed like a sympathy vote.  

I think Beauty and the Beast was what set the animated movie category in motion. It doesn't matter how great a movie is or how deserving of an Oscar it would be, chances are it would not win against a biopic or costume drama of some kind. If amazing animated films were snubbed time and time again, it would probably upset a few apple carts, so they made them their own category. In a way this is a good thing because they don't go home empty handed every year, but it is also short-changing them since Pixar is (in my opinion) doing the best storytelling in cinema today and has been for several years now and they will never be recognized as making the best movie of the year (even though they did), only the best cartoon (also true).

It's still disappointing.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #31 on: 24 Feb 2009, 09:35 »

You guys realize that not everybody actually liked Wall-E all that much, right? I mean, it was a pretty ham-fisted movie in regards to its big themes. It was charming movie and had incredible technical merit; I won't deny that. I'd have rather seen it nominated than Slumdog or Benjamin Button, but I liked Frost/Nixon about a million times better, and Milk was probably just as good, even if I am leaning towards Frost/Nixon as my fave. As far as I'm concerned, Wall-E peaked as a movie right around the time where he's deciding whether to put the spork with the forks or the spoons. It was all downhill from there.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2009, 09:42 by Alex C »

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 2009, 09:43 »

Yeah, not everyone is going to like the same movies, but I'm talking more about animated movies in general. Although considering what a crummy year for movies it was to me, I'd still say I think Wall-E was probably top of the line.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2009, 12:04 »

You guys realize that not everybody actually liked Wall-E all that much, right? I mean, it was a pretty ham-fisted movie in regards to its big themes. It was charming movie and had incredible technical merit; I won't deny that. I'd have rather seen it nominated than Slumdog or Benjamin Button, but I liked Frost/Nixon about a million times better, and Milk was probably just as good, even if I am leaning towards Frost/Nixon as my fave. As far as I'm concerned, Wall-E peaked as a movie right around the time where he's deciding whether to put the spork with the forks or the spoons. It was all downhill from there.

Not everyone liked Frost/Nixon or Milk all that much either.

What I am saying is that I don't understand your point.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

benji

« Reply #34 on: 24 Feb 2009, 12:52 »

I think his point was that, even if there wasn't an animated feature category, there's no real guarantee that Wall-E would have won Best Picture. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have, as a matter of fact. Most of the acadamy are still people who work in things that aren't animation, and many of these people still look down on animation as "less than."
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #35 on: 24 Feb 2009, 12:54 »

That's pretty much my point. I love animation. I don't have any biases against animation that I"m aware of. I also don't think Wall-E deserves a Best Picture Oscar.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #36 on: 24 Feb 2009, 13:40 »

Yes, but do you think it, or any similarly high-quality animated film has a chance of being nominated while the "Best Animated Feature" category exists?
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #37 on: 24 Feb 2009, 13:47 »

It probably deserved a nomination though. I mean, even if it wouldn't have won (and it surely wouldn't have), it was a work of art. I'm still a bit irate that "Ratatouille" didn't get nominated for best picture. It was probably the best thing I saw that year and, again, while it wouldn't have won, it really deserved the nomination. How trite and often tired films like "Juno" and "Little Miss Sunshine" get nominated while immensely charming, hilarious, original and masterfully made movies like "Ratatouille" get snubbed is more than a little infuriating.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #38 on: 24 Feb 2009, 20:26 »

I understand that.

PapaFrita

« Reply #39 on: 26 Feb 2009, 19:45 »

I'm upset that TDK didn't get nominated for Best Screenplay or best Directing. Christopher Nolan got kind of shafted for that, and I thought the directing/storytelling was the best part of the film. It kept me totally enthralled for a very long movie.

Seeing the nominees for best Animated Short always makes me want to see them. They all look so damn interesting!
Pages: [1]   Go Up