THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 05:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: And so the QC puritan witch burning continues!  (Read 24128 times)

Wacky Willy

And so the QC puritan witch burning continues!
« on: 25 Feb 2009, 12:27 »

Well I guess it was only a matter of time until the one sexually assertive character in this strip got crucified by his testicles, especially after that bit where Dora flips out on another girl for innocently asking Marten out.  Craven hussy!  Only harlots ask men out on dates!  Once you've snared a mate you can lord it over him with your rolling pin to your heart's content but BY GOD if you step outside your place in the rules of courtship your agony will be stretched over several strips!

So Sven is polyamorous, he's the only guy in the strip whose seduction technique doesn't involve hanging his head and meekly apologizing, and as a result he's the only guy in the strip abole to get through Faye's batshit issues enough for her to dare to have S... E... X!  But Faye wants a 100% monogamous relationship, even though he never agreed to one.  Is QC really going to say that this relationship falling apart is 100% his fault?

Wouldn't it be cool if the ultimate lesson of this story arc is that people should be aware of other types of sexuality besides vanilla monogamy?  That Sven's wanting to lie to Faye was as much a result of the public scorn that would be heaped upon him for publicly proclaiming a different kind of sexuality?  That Faye should have known better than to expect her boyfriend to conform to her rigid social standards?  You know, having a strip that's supposed to be all indie and alternative actually look to some alternatives besides shopping demographics?

NO!  Sven has sinned against the sacred bonds of going steady!  For this he will be put in a stock and paraded through the streets with a scarlet "A" upon his chest while the angry hipsters pelt him with cabbages and dead cats, a punishment handed down by a grumpy row of judges in two-tone powdered wigs and robes that say "TEH."  There is but one type of acceptable relationship!  Absolute monogamy!

deuxmind

• Not quite a lurker
  • lol magic.
    • My Arts
Re: And so the QC puritan witch burning continues!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2009, 13:22 »

I really understand where you are coming from oh wacky one.  I am in a poly relationship and completely in love with my 'main'.  We've been happily together for 3 years now.  I understand Sven a lot and I honestly think he did nothing wrong within that realm of thinking.  I do still understand Faye being upset.  Most people see sleeping with someone else or even kissing a breach of trust.  But they were never in a full understanding besides if he fooled about she would leave, which she did.  She's upset because he knew she would leave if he did it but he still decided to have smex.  She's upset cause she hoped he would like being with her so much he wouldnt mess it up by doing what he did.

I been there.  I haven't always been in the mindset I am now.  It's natural to be jealous and upset because if you spend that much time with someone you're bound to become attached. 

Basically I get both sides.  Basically.
“I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying.”

aorta

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2009, 13:25 »

But Faye wants a 100% monogamous relationship, even though he never agreed to one. 

I must be a blind bat but when did she say that?

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2009, 13:46 »

But Faye wants a 100% monogamous relationship, even though he never agreed to one. 

In real time, just before the new year.  In QC time, it was many months ago.
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1307

Faye's exact words were "Just because this isn't serious doesn't mean you can go around fucking any skank who catches your fancy.  You sleep with someone else and I'm GONE."

sofiabailote

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2009, 13:50 »

hear hear

cgarci21

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Shagtastic
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2009, 13:51 »

I understand where you are coming from but Sven, although he never agreed to a monogamous relationship, also never entered into a polyamourous relationship. I would agree that Faye would have no justified right to be mad in that case. But if you are saying she has no right to be upset about a breach of trust, which she warned would end their 'relationship', on the basis of Sven being polyamourous wouldn't Faye have to know about it before hand???

I would think that this sort of decision would merit some kind of agreement or at least a discussion.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 13:56 by cgarci21 »
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2009, 13:52 »

Just because they were only making whoopie on the side doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt when Svens goes and fucks someone else. Sven can fuck who he wants, and Faye can be hurt. They are both well within their rights. This also doesn't mean that people can't think Sven is a dick or Faye is a prude. When it comes down to it we all have our own way of thinking when it comes to these situations.

And remember... Jeph isn't expressing the views of every single person on the planet. He is just writing his comic to the flow of his jive.
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

aorta

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2009, 13:55 »

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1307

Faye's exact words were "Just because this isn't serious doesn't mean you can go around fucking any skank who catches your fancy.  You sleep with someone else and I'm GONE."

Well she never said that she wanted complete and utter "you're my boyfriend and I'm your girlfriend, so you cheat on me I'll rip your nads off." Faye isn't the sharing sort and wants to know where his dick has been since Sven is smarmy, so seems reasonable enough.

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
  • Blew out the Candles!
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2009, 14:01 »

Don't forget time works strangely in QC. I wouldn't use Dora's hair growing out as a good measure of time passing. Or did I miss a thread where people made sense of the "time jump"?

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2009, 14:20 »

So, you're a whore and you want applause for it, is what I'm getting from this.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2009, 14:20 »

It went from being warm enough for people to go out in t-shirts and Dora thinking about growing her hair out to Faye complaining about how cold it is and Dora having several inches of new hair.

tragic banjo

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2009, 14:38 »

Nice conflation.

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
  • Blew out the Candles!
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2009, 14:43 »

It went from being warm enough for people to go out in t-shirts and Dora thinking about growing her hair out to Faye complaining about how cold it is and Dora having several inches of new hair.
What I'm saying is it didn't feel like time passed in regards to the characters and their relationships. We didn't really see any change. In many ways it's easier for me to accept that two weeks went by and the weather changed suddenly than months went by and we don't see any sign of it in the characters themselves. As I said before, hair isn't really a good measure of time in QC as I think it boils down more to the charaters looking however Jeph wants them to.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2009, 15:07 »

Jeph said it was a change of season, which implied a time jump.

And I just love  being told the truth about how relationships work by 19 year olds!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
  • Blew out the Candles!
« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2009, 15:13 »

Jeph said it was a change of season, which implied a time jump.
Aha, this I missed. I stand by my points but I was thinking Jeph had kept quiet about whether there had been an actual timejump or not.

ModernRonin

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2009, 15:22 »

Just because they were only making whoopie on the side doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt when Svens goes and fucks someone else. Sven can fuck who he wants, and Faye can be hurt. They are both well within their rights.

Holy shit. Did you just make an intelligent, thoughtful and mature point on the QC forums?

SHUUUUUUN the Non-believer!!! Shuuuuuuunnn!! :laugh:

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2009, 16:18 »

Sven isn't polyamorous, he's a slut. There's a difference.
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Superkid11

• Obscure cultural reference
  • New teeth!
« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2009, 16:25 »

Pintsize and Winslow will carry out the sentence.

I don't think there is a lesson in this story arc, there's never been anything like that aside from the subtle anti-suicide message around 500. (well, it wouldn't be that noticible without Jeph commenting on it.)

Dora is angry because Faye was hurt. Sven never got shit for having casual sex unless he was lying to get it.

KrisMerrells

« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2009, 16:26 »

Yeah, I'm not sure that "QC" is really the kind of singular entity unto itself, capable of making such judgments. I get the impression that Mr. Jacques tends to follow what he believes to be whatever is most consistent with the character, and Faye's reaction does seem (to me) to be consistent.

I doubt that the intent of this comic was to serve a Council of Trent to your heretic behaviour.

Cheers, Mr. Polly A. Morriss

ponderch3rry

• Plantmonster
  • lollercoaster
    • Seek Porpoise - A webcomic
« Reply #19 on: 25 Feb 2009, 16:36 »

Just because they were only making whoopie on the side doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt when Svens goes and fucks someone else. Sven can fuck who he wants, and Faye can be hurt. They are both well within their rights.

Holy shit. Did you just make an intelligent, thoughtful and mature point on the QC forums?

SHUUUUUUN the Non-believer!!! Shuuuuuuunnn!! :laugh:

Sorry... Sorry... Ummmmm... OH!

~YEAH! Jeph should've drawn moar bewbs! I would watch two cartoons go at it like that and such! Damn these characters not being purely polyamorous and the like!~

*phew* crisis averted  :lol:
My webcomic:
www.seekporpoise.net

~~~ om nom nom nom~~~

Superkid11

• New teeth!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2009, 16:44 »

Also, I learned long ago to absolutely disregard the "The opinions expressed in this comic reflect the opinions of the author" instinctive response when I read a webcomic long before I started QC. I'll only ever be drawn to a conclusion like that if Jeph actually states it. And the only time he's done that is when Marten said his subconscious was weird enough and he didn't want it to come out in drugs.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 21:27 by Superkid11 »

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2009, 16:49 »

Anyone who's a whore and admits it freely deserves applause IMO.

It the billions who are but pretend they're not that deserve the hate. (Wanting something other than money doesn't make you any less of a whore.)

But Sven's not a whore at all. (though he could be if he wanted; it would certainly be a more moral living than inflicting bad country pop on the world).

Sven is a total slut though, and us monogamous guys hate him because we feel like he's abusing his superpowerspowers of seduction.

However, there was NO BREACH OF TRUST. Sven not only never told Faye he wouldn't sleep with anyone else, he told her he likely would have sex with someone else if the opportunity came up.

Faye should have stopped going to him for sex months ago, when she first felt herself starting to become attached. She didn't stop though, and now she's paying the price.

Despite that objective analysis of the situation, OMG DORA PUNCHED HIM IN THE FACE THAT WAS AWESOME.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2009, 19:29 »

This isn't polyamory. Polyamory is consensual. Faye never consented to it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2009, 21:20 »

Sven isn't polyamorous, he's a slut. There's a difference.

Sven's not a slut. 

Sven's a guy.

Sven's a regular guy.

He happens to be an attractive guy, but he's still just a guy.

This means that he has absolutely no defense mechanisms. 

When a girl turns 11-13, she grows tits.  From that day forth she is actively accosted by males who want to do the bone-diddly with her.  She learns from an early age how to say, "Get the friggin heck-fire away from me, you gosh darn creepazoids!" without actually saying it.

When a guy turns 11-13, he grows pubic hair, gets incredibly horny/clumsy and embarrasses the living shit out of himself every day for about 10 years. (give or take)  He doesn't get hit on by girls, he doesn't get regularly/aggressively propositioned by every girl he meets.

Women learn to say "No.", to build walls, to defend themselves against men who find them attractive. 

Men don't.

Sven has never before been in a situation where he should say "No."  He's never before had a woman make sexual advances where he had a damn good reason to say, "No."  Saying "No" gracefully takes skill, it takes practice.  I mean, a girl tries to kiss you.  A beautiful girl.  A beautiful, talented girl you respect.... but you're in a relationship.  You, with the five serious relationships under your belt.  You might be able to say, with regret all over your face, "I... I can't.  No!  It's not you!  Shit!  Don't cry!  Shit!  No!  I... well, there's this girl, and... I'm sorry!"

Has Sven ever had a breakup?  Or has it all just been mutual "Well, that was fun"?

We've seen him try to avoid sex twice.  Each time he had to resort to cheap tricks and attempts to get other people to do his dirty work.  Because Sven is immature.  He's a 30 year old virgin when it comes to relationships.  He's doing the right thing when it comes to telling the truth. 

But he has never learned how to say "No."  Most guys don't; Sven's just more ignorant than most.

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2009, 23:02 »

Sven's not a slut. 

Sven's a guy.

Sven's a regular guy.

He happens to be an attractive guy, but he's still just a guy.

This means that he has absolutely no defense mechanisms. 

When a girl turns 11-13, she grows tits.  From that day forth she is actively accosted by males who want to do the bone-diddly with her.  She learns from an early age how to say, "Get the friggin heck-fire away from me, you gosh darn creepazoids!" without actually saying it.

When a guy turns 11-13, he grows pubic hair, gets incredibly horny/clumsy and embarrasses the living shit out of himself every day for about 10 years. (give or take)  He doesn't get hit on by girls, he doesn't get regularly/aggressively propositioned by every girl he meets.

Women learn to say "No.", to build walls, to defend themselves against men who find them attractive. 

Men don't.

Sven has never before been in a situation where he should say "No."  He's never before had a woman make sexual advances where he had a damn good reason to say, "No."  Saying "No" gracefully takes skill, it takes practice.  I mean, a girl tries to kiss you.  A beautiful girl.  A beautiful, talented girl you respect.... but you're in a relationship.  You, with the five serious relationships under your belt.  You might be able to say, with regret all over your face, "I... I can't.  No!  It's not you!  Shit!  Don't cry!  Shit!  No!  I... well, there's this girl, and... I'm sorry!"

Has Sven ever had a breakup?  Or has it all just been mutual "Well, that was fun"?

We've seen him try to avoid sex twice.  Each time he had to resort to cheap tricks and attempts to get other people to do his dirty work.  Because Sven is immature.  He's a 30 year old virgin when it comes to relationships.  He's doing the right thing when it comes to telling the truth. 

But he has never learned how to say "No."  Most guys don't; Sven's just more ignorant than most.

All completely accurate IMO
Sven's not a slut. 
except that part.

Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

John911

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2009, 23:24 »

All completely accurate IMO
Sven's not a slut. 
except that part.

[/quote]

I find it hard to believe that most other guys would not act like Sven if they found themselves in his situation, ie. just having casual sex with girls that want to have casual sex with him, and they are not looking for a relationship.

I would and I don't apologise for it. It takes two to tango guys.

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2009, 23:36 »

just having casual sex with girls that want to have casual sex with him,

In other words, a slut.

Quit trying to weasel out of the word. As the nerds and geeks of the world proved, its far more effective to embrace the word and make it your own.

Lyrical

• Plantmonster
« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2009, 23:47 »

Yeah, Sven isn't polyamorous, he's just not monogamous.  I've been hit on by a lot of poly guys, and they always mention right away that they'd need me to meet their girlfriend first and get her approval (one even had a 6 page list of rules they'd worked out!).  I'm not looking for that, but I don't get offended by it either.  Guys who sneak around bug me, and Sven wasn't honest about it until the intern threatened to tell Faye unless he did it first.

I do agree that guys tend to have trouble saying no, especially gracefully, even when they really aren't interested.  I have several gay friends I go dancing with occasionally, and if a guy they aren't interested in hits on them, they'll frequently claim I'm their girlfriend in order to get him to back off without having to explicitly turn him down.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2009, 00:40 »

every time i see one of these threads instead of words I hear "a waw wah waw waw waw."
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

tweetles

« Reply #29 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:03 »

Hah, Jeph is awesome and thats why we all love his comic.

But why are there so many different topic with the exact same arguement? seriously.

smilesvssmirks

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #30 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:18 »

just having casual sex with girls that want to have casual sex with him,

In other words, a slut.

Quit trying to weasel out of the word. As the nerds and geeks of the world proved, its far more effective to embrace the word and make it your own.

Now, I'm not trying to defend Sven's recent behavior, but rather argue against your definition of the word slut.
Would you mind clarifying? Are you saying people (male and female) who might just not be looking for relationships at this point in their lives (for whatever reason) but still enjoy sex and have healthy libidos who find like-minded people and act upon their carnal urges are sluts?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:23 »

Hah, Jeph is awesome and thats why we all love his comic.

But why are there so many different topic with the exact same arguement? seriously.

because some people simply CANNOT COMPREHEND that sometimes in an argument both parties are at fault.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:29 »

I love the blatant agenda piggybacking of the original post. LOOK EVERYBODY JEPH IS SAYING SVEN IS A BAD GUY AND POLYAMORY IS BAD BUT POLYAMORY IS ACTUALLY GOOD!!!1! Thanks for attaching your own sense of persecution and defensiveness to my comic because one character did something that hurt another character!

If I were trying to make a statement about polyamory don't you think I would have used Tai, THE ONE GENUINELY POLYAMOROUS CHARACTER IN MY COMIC? Who, by the way, I have taken care to always present in a positive (if sometimes humorous, see her detailing polyamory drama in various strips) light?

It's idiotic bullshit like this that makes me tell people in the real world what a shitheap this forum is. Everybody's got an agenda and they're all trying to attach it to the comics.

For future reference, if you're trying to divine some overarching moral standpoint from my comic: the moral of my comic is that people should try to be nice to each other.

John911

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #33 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:42 »

I love the blatant agenda piggybacking of the original post. LOOK EVERYBODY JEPH IS SAYING SVEN IS A BAD GUY AND POLYAMORY IS BAD BUT POLYAMORY IS ACTUALLY GOOD!!!1! Thanks for attaching your own sense of persecution and defensiveness to my comic because one character did something that hurt another character!

If I were trying to make a statement about polyamory don't you think I would have used Tai, THE ONE GENUINELY POLYAMOROUS CHARACTER IN MY COMIC? Who, by the way, I have taken care to always present in a positive (if sometimes humorous, see her detailing polyamory drama in various strips) light?

It's idiotic bullshit like this that makes me tell people in the real world what a shitheap this forum is. Everybody's got an agenda and they're all trying to attach it to the comics.

For future reference, if you're trying to divine some overarching moral standpoint from my comic: the moral of my comic is that people should try to be nice to each other.

Whoa, calm down there. If I was you I would be stoked that my comic is creating such passion within people and their opinions rather than bitching about it.

Embrace the passion Jeph. You, after all, have creative control.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:49 »

No. If the "passion" is people putting a bullshit agenda upon my work then I am not going to "embrace" it. I am going to CORRECT them and probably be cranky about it because JESUS, PEOPLE.

John911

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #35 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:52 »

No. If the "passion" is people putting a bullshit agenda upon my work then I am not going to "embrace" it. I am going to CORRECT them and probably be cranky about it because JESUS, PEOPLE.

Point noted. But i must be exciting to see people (like me) talk about the characters as if they were real people.

Oh that internet and it's crazy posters!

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #36 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:56 »

It's exciting except that I am frequently horrified by what people on the internet think of real people

tweetles

« Reply #37 on: 26 Feb 2009, 03:08 »

oh no Jeph how dare you not completely love/embrace/suck off even if they take a big ol dump and wank in your forums, what kind of person are you!

oh yea a normal one, thats right.

BSG

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.zentatsu.com
« Reply #38 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:08 »

Personally, I'm with Sven.  They made it clear at the beginning of the ordeal what it was about, and if Faye had begun attaching personal feelings, it's her responsibility to make Sven aware of that before he does something that could hurt her.  I'd be pretty goddamned pissed if my sister slapped me for that.

That said, this thread is really disappointing.  I only come here once in a while because every time I've posted here, people with psychotic obsessions with the comic post, and as Jeph pointed out, they seem to have somewhat of an agenda attached to the posts.  You guys would be good to pull back the reigns.  I'd be disturbed if people took something I made that seriously.
You are the reason God invented shooting people in the face.
I am the reason you invented God.

Superkid11

• New teeth!
« Reply #39 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:19 »

I have born witness to the kind of ownage you'd think only God could dish out.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #40 on: 26 Feb 2009, 07:15 »

*waves to Faye* G'bye Bitch!  Don't let the door hitcha where da Good Lord Splitcha!  And shed some tears for me too, becuase my tea tastes better when it's just a little salty from being made with tears from a bitch!

It's exciting except that I am frequently horrified by what people on the internet think of real people

We get that way from DEALING with real people, day in, and day out, with all their foibles and issues, and moreover, are FORCED by our situation or employment to be NICE to them no matter how often they kick us in the teeth.

I'm sorry you're horrified, Jeph.  I love your comic anyway, becuase it allows me to escape the realm of the real assholes I deal with on a daily basis.

At least I just PLAY an asshole.

It's easy when I have so many examples around me for character material.

That's an admirable goal, Jeph.  Naive and unrealistic in my opinion, but I do admire you more than a little bit for it.  And you market it in such an entertaining fashion, I generally put aside my opinion on this in order to thoroughly enjoy your art.

S
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009, 07:18 by Mr. Skawronska »
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #41 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:11 »

I don't believe you.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Abigmoron

• Plantmonster
« Reply #42 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:41 »

I hate it when all the characters go around acting in character.

aorta

« Reply #43 on: 26 Feb 2009, 12:14 »

*waves to Faye* G'bye Bitch!  Don't let the door hitcha where da Good Lord Splitcha!  And shed some tears for me too, becuase my tea tastes better when it's just a little salty from being made with tears from a bitch!

We get that way from DEALING with real people, day in, and day out, with all their foibles and issues, and moreover, are FORCED by our situation or employment to be NICE to them no matter how often they kick us in the teeth.

I'm sorry you're horrified, Jeph.  I love your comic anyway, becuase it allows me to escape the realm of the real assholes I deal with on a daily basis.

It's easy when I have so many examples around me for character material.

That's an admirable goal, Jeph.  Naive and unrealistic in my opinion, but I do admire you more than a little bit for it.  And you market it in such an entertaining fashion, I generally put aside my opinion on this in order to thoroughly enjoy your art.

S

My goal in life is to see you run over by a bus. Or preferably the oscar meyer weiner car so it would be even more amusing.

I see a sad and pathetic person that doesn't give a rats ass about his fellow man, acts like a fake douchebag to their faces and then comes onto forums like these to rant and whine on how sad and pathetic everyone else is...when really its just the opposite and then repeats the same damn thing every day. An even more sad attempt at attention to their non-existence.

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #44 on: 26 Feb 2009, 12:20 »

Now, I'm not trying to defend Sven's recent behavior, but rather argue against your definition of the word slut.
Would you mind clarifying? Are you saying people (male and female) who might just not be looking for relationships at this point in their lives (for whatever reason) but still enjoy sex and have healthy libidos who find like-minded people and act upon their carnal urges are sluts?
Some of those people would be, some wouldn't be, so no, I'm not saying that.

I guess the essence of my definition(but by no means the whole definition), is "a person who does not form an emotional attachment to their sexual partner(s)"

But you're missing the point. The word "slut" doesn't have to have a negative connotation. It certainly doesn't in my mind. I tend to use it internally to refer to anyone who is free about their sexuality and has sex outside of a relationship(I use the term relationship loosely, not referring to just romantic relationships here, perhaps the word "arrangement" would be better... *shrug*).

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
« Reply #45 on: 26 Feb 2009, 12:34 »

Really, your audience in the forum is no different than your audience in the "Real World", except that on the forum people are emboldened by the psuedoanonymity, which allows them to instantly reactive without needing to pause for tact and reflection.

In forums, you tend to get immediate feelings. In the "Real World" you tend to get measured thoughts. The latter is more polite. The former is more honest.

TheDozarian

• Emoticontraindication
  • I am Dozer the Dozarian... bring me marshmelons...
    • I'm old but I have a myspace...
« Reply #46 on: 26 Feb 2009, 13:15 »

Well I guess it was only a matter of time until the one sexually assertive character in this strip got crucified by his testicles, especially after that bit where Dora flips out on another girl for innocently asking Marten out.  Craven hussy!  Only harlots ask men out on dates!  Once you've snared a mate you can lord it over him with your rolling pin to your heart's content but BY GOD if you step outside your place in the rules of courtship your agony will be stretched over several strips!

So Sven is polyamorous, he's the only guy in the strip whose seduction technique doesn't involve hanging his head and meekly apologizing, and as a result he's the only guy in the strip abole to get through Faye's batshit issues enough for her to dare to have S... E... X!  But Faye wants a 100% monogamous relationship, even though he never agreed to one.  Is QC really going to say that this relationship falling apart is 100% his fault?

Wouldn't it be cool if the ultimate lesson of this story arc is that people should be aware of other types of sexuality besides vanilla monogamy?  That Sven's wanting to lie to Faye was as much a result of the public scorn that would be heaped upon him for publicly proclaiming a different kind of sexuality?  That Faye should have known better than to expect her boyfriend to conform to her rigid social standards?  You know, having a strip that's supposed to be all indie and alternative actually look to some alternatives besides shopping demographics?

NO!  Sven has sinned against the sacred bonds of going steady!  For this he will be put in a stock and paraded through the streets with a scarlet "A" upon his chest while the angry hipsters pelt him with cabbages and dead cats, a punishment handed down by a grumpy row of judges in two-tone powdered wigs and robes that say "TEH."  There is but one type of acceptable relationship!  Absolute monogamy!

I think going overboard about the right or wrong of poly vs mono is a little much.  The strip appears to be over the course of a day or so.  Friends are going to be mad.  Doesn't mean that Sven is necessarily wrong for what happened.  (Personally, I think he handled it well)  But the strip shows what's going on from more than one perspective.  I would expect the friends of my jilted girlfriend to hate me for awhile if I was in a mono relationship with her or a poly.  Regardless of how or why we broke up.  I think that's just emotions...  Give it a few days to see if it's actually hating polyamorism...  And even if it is...  Just because you or like it, doesn't mean everyone has to...  The characters in the comic may not...  Or the writer may not...  Or the Pope may not... What matters is whether you like what you're doing... Damn the rest of it...
It is what it is... But if I kill it, then is is dead?  So if dead is is, is it dead?

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #47 on: 26 Feb 2009, 13:45 »

Not sure if Sven is actually polyamourus.  Sven appears to be involved with only one woman at time (generally) based on what we've seen. 

The reaction against Sven seems to be based on the emotional hurt his behaviour has done to Faye.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

ModernRonin

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #48 on: 26 Feb 2009, 14:04 »

When I see you posting, you're usually angry, annoyed, or otherwise negative. But I don't think that's a reflection on you; I think it's a reflection on this place. I enjoy these forums quite a lot, and I thank you and the mod staff for providing them. But honestly, I enjoy the comic much more. If it ever comes down to putting the bullet in either the comic or the forums... please, please, I'm begging you, KILL THE FORUMS!

We, the fans, can find another QC talky place. Web bulliten boards are a dime a dozen. But QC the comic can't be replaced nearly so easily. If you need to shit-can this place in order to maintain your sanity and ability to make comics, then please do it. At the end of the day, the shrill idiots who annoy you on these forums don't matter one bit. If they all dropped off the face of the earth tomorrow, nobody would notice or care. I can't remember who said it, but: "Nobody ever erected a statue to a critic." And as you've said before, you have no obligation to give them a stage to shout at you from. So, IMO, if this place is dragging you down and making your life harder than it needs to be... kill it. Swiftly and without mercy.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009, 14:09 by ModernRonin »

neiotik

« Reply #49 on: 26 Feb 2009, 15:19 »

Visibly, a lot of people on these forums need a good dose of the MST3K mantra. " 'It's just a" webcomic "I should really just relax." but this is the internet where it's nigh impossible to not get someone butthurt with their panties in a twitch screaming persecution on high, it seems.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up