THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Cool Jobs  (Read 13495 times)

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
Really Cool Jobs
« on: 25 Feb 2009, 20:15 »

So it has come to my attention that some people out there have had some really cool jobs in the past. And I thought that is something that I would like to hear more about. I'll go first:

I got super lucky with my first job. It started as an internship, and then my best buddy and I were hired on part-time for the summer since we were already trained. The company I worked for was called Premier Jet, and we played with airplanes. Expensive airplanes. Basically the business was a very high-class compound of hangars and pretty lobbies, and when people wanted to fly on their private/corporate/chartered plane we would take care of the rest for them. My job was officially a "line porter", which basically amounted to "valet". People pulled up in shiny cars and gave me the keys. I would then take their luggage and go load it on their plane, and depending on how busy we were I would also pull the chocks (brake-thingies around the wheels) and marshall the plane out to the runway. That's right, I got to be the dude with the giant earmuffs and the glowy lightsaber things. Then I would go back out to the front and park their nice expensive cars for them. At this point my work was done for a few hours. Since I was the new guy I also made lunch runs, but we made great tips and the guys usually paid for my lunch anyway. So yeah, I'm kinda sad I don't have that job anymore (moved for university), and am also a little afraid that any other job I get won't be as fun.

What about you guys? I apologize if this seems self-indulgent, but I really am curious. What cool/crazy/fun jobs have you had? Tell us about them!
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 20:17 by SirJuggles »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
Re: Really Cool Jobs
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2009, 20:26 »

this was a job a coworker of mine worked, not me, and i guess it's not a "really cool job" but it is the best thing i have ever heard in my life pretty much? so i'm going to put it in here anyway.

my friend had a summer job working in a biscuit factory and got paid minimum wage to sit in a room and watch packages of biscuits roll down a conveyor belt. all she had to do was watch them roll down the belt for 8 hours a day and make sure none of them were defective. however, if she did see a defective package of biscuits... she had to poke them off the belt with a stick.

let that sink in - my friend got paid full-time to poke boxes with a stick. it's like something out of a cartoon.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2009, 20:31 »

That does not seem like a good job at all
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2009, 20:34 »

Blacksmith shop internship.

you are jealous.

azurefirem

• Plantmonster
  • a mysterious irrelephant
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2009, 20:48 »

My mom recently retired from the Air Force, where she had a very nice long career beginning with metallurgical engineering (lots of analysis things. She got to work with Cady Coleman!) and finishing up with revamping the entire evaluation system for the ENTIRE Air Force. :) She now teaches eighth graders. And probably prefers the military :P
Quote from: KickThatBathProf
Fun Fact:  You can shower and brush your teeth simultaneously

oh my god can i touch you???

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2009, 23:21 »

my family used to own a Gaming store, so basically I got paid to run, play in, and win Magic: The Gathering tournaments.

shit yeah.
also israel

The Voice

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2009, 23:38 »

I worked for NAMCO BANDAI Games America as a video game tester.  So basically I would play video games for 8 hours and get paid to do so.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2009, 23:39 »

I once was employed at NAMbLA as an assistant rapist.

Those were some good times.
also israel

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2009, 23:48 »

I used to work at my Junior College's computer lab. It was sickeningly cushy and I was paid $8.25 an hour.

My duties were limited to refilling paper in the printers and resetting student passwords. Any and all technical issues, be they hardware or software related, were delegated upwards toward full-time IT staff.

We were allowed up to 30 hours a week. I clocked in 26, on average.

We had no oversight from management. All issues relating to lab employees were basically handled by the employees as a collective. Unless you were opening you could come in late if you wanted (2 people on desk at all times) and you could leave early.

There were no real restrictions on what you could do in the lab. You could listen to music, watch video or play computer games (provided you had a laptop) I watched the entire series of the Wire on the clock, as well as Twin Peaks, Arrested Development and Mr. Show. All in all I was probably paid $1,500 just for watching video. I also beat Baldur's Gate 2 twice, which yielded me about $660, as well as a modded game of Fallout 2 which netted me about $330. Same for dicking around in Reason 4.

God, it was the greatest fucking job on the planet. I miss it terribly.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

TheViscount

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2009, 00:33 »

this was a job a coworker of mine worked, not me, and i guess it's not a "really cool job" but it is the best thing i have ever heard in my life pretty much? so i'm going to put it in here anyway.

my friend had a summer job working in a biscuit factory and got paid minimum wage to sit in a room and watch packages of biscuits roll down a conveyor belt. all she had to do was watch them roll down the belt for 8 hours a day and make sure none of them were defective. however, if she did see a defective package of biscuits... she had to poke them off the belt with a stick.

let that sink in - my friend got paid full-time to poke boxes with a stick. it's like something out of a cartoon.

That actually seems like a really, really, really boring job.

My friend's job is quite relaxed, I think he enjoys it, he's been doing it for a while now: He tests games for EA, he tested games for a couple of other companies beforehand, too. All he does all day is play games, take a second look at everything, make sure things are working [which sounds like there should be some work involved, but it takes a quick note and you're done], and..well..that's it.. Sometimes he just comes in and... Plays games.. He comes in high sometimes.. No one seems to notice. It looks like a giant LAN party at his office. The only bad thing I suppose is the nerd-stench and some other drawbacks of having a lot of 'computer guys' around with you, but there should also be computer girls... Hopefully..Do they still exist?

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2009, 00:57 »

Some of these do in fact sound like Really Cool Jobs. That JC computer lab spot? Sweeeeeet.

I have heard mixed things about being game testers though. Some stories paint it as a magical wonderland of being paid to play games whenever you want. However, I've also heard horror stories about exhaustive, tedious debugging carried out under nigh-unlivable conditions for poverty wages. This does not sound like fun.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:03 »

I like having a hobby, like painting miniatures. Lots of people have told me "YOU NEED TO DO THAT FOR A JOB" and I do not want to make that my primary source of income (its true, I do paint miniatures in exchange for money, but I do it for people who are my friends, and it is only as a source of money to buy my own miniatures) because then it will no longer be my hobby and I won't enjoy it, because it'll just be work. Sure I'll like it for a while, but I'll probably have very little time to paint my own stuff because I'll constantly be painting something for someone else.

I think this same argument applies to video game testers, sure, it can be fun for a while, but what if you have to spend 8 hours testing a really shitty game? Do you want to go home and play any games after that? I know I wouldn't.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

TheViscount

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:11 »

I understand what you mean. I used to work for a Collectibles and Hobbies gameshop, and after working there, I got more turned off from MTG And such than I already was. My friend seems content, and the de-bugging doesn't take him very long, he mostly just mucks around on his gaming and never seems to complain about his job. If I had to rank him by how many video games he plays in relation to how many people I know, he'd be number 2 or 3.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:19 »

pretty sure i have the best job
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:22 »

My favorite job so far was working in a luthier's workshop. I built an acoustic guitar there.
My boss, master, owner and sole employee of the workshop, was old school.
He was almost 70 when I worked there which was 7 years ago. He still works there.
And he was so good at all of it.

My next hopefully cool job involves strategery and companies. Don't know yet what it is precisely but the pay makes it seem really cool.

Pretty sure you have the best avatar also.
lucky bastard
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2009, 03:25 »

I sit around playing video games and messing on the interent, occasionalyl writing a bit. Occasionally I have to perform in front of people. I'd say that's a pretty cool job.

At the moment I work part time in a bar beside an old theatre which is empty most of the time except during shows when it fills up with actors and artists who are all lovely to me. It is possibly the easiest job I have ever had.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:50 »

I used to work for a branch of the Massachusetts Water Resource Association called Save the Harbor/Save the Bay.  Some days, I had to go to the YMCA and teach kids the value of water conservation, but most of the time, we just went canoeing or whale watching or something awesome on the water.  I have a pretty awful fear of water, so it was kind of exhilerating for me.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:03 »

I worked at a marine lab for a while when I left school. Got to work on building a couple of weather stations that got sent up to the Arctic. They named one after me, this alone made the job pretty cool.

Get off my land

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:42 »

yeah it was a really boring job and i feel sort of bad for finding it funny, but when we were talking about past jobs and she brought that up i just could not stop laughing for ages at the fact that her only responsibility was to poke boxes with a stick. like, they gave her a poking stick and everything. if you really think about it, it is basically fordism at its most dehumanizing and scary but if you don't think about it and just focus on the mental image it is a pretty funny one.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #19 on: 26 Feb 2009, 07:29 »

What cool/crazy/fun jobs have you had? Tell us about them!

1990-1991: Repo man in Los Angeles, specializing in Inglewood and Compton.  The learning curve is climbed more quickly while being shot at.
1993: Armored Car Guard, moving around palletized stacks of currency in large, square, clear plastic bags.  Personally responsible for more money than most people (including myself) had ever seen (or will again) in our entire lives.
1998: Bondsman/Bail Enforcement Agent, kicking in people's doors in the middle of the night or otherwise using underhanded kidnapping techniques in order to return them to jail.
2001-2004: Locksmith, breaking into people's cars, homes, and safes at the direction and request of the people who own them for money.  Occasionally opening a door or safe for law enforcement or the Medical Examiner's office.
2004-Present: Emergency Medicine:  Giving free estimates to people who are bleeding, thwarting natural selection with every call.

Been there, done that.  Bought the T-shirt.  Used it for rags.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #20 on: 26 Feb 2009, 07:35 »

Robbie why do you have the Best Life? I am constantly jealous of the things you do. Please teach me your ways.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:10 »

pretty sure you're a fag

(oh snap)
also israel

Kylos

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Myspace?
« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2009, 10:09 »

Before the job I have now, I was a cleaner in a primary school. That was the worlds cushiest job.
It was paid for by the council, so whenever it was a hoilday, I wouldn't have to go in. Just paid a set amount every month. I was paid to do two hours of cleaning too, and I could get it done in an hour, so I ended playing with the kids things, or drawing on the chalkboard in the cleaners cupboard.

Now I work in a nightclub. On the face of it, it's pretty shitty. Having to deal with drunk people when you're on the bar or the floor is a pain in the ass, as well as picking up broken bottles, cleaning up vomit and occasionally unblocking a shitty toilet. I generally don't get home until 4 in the morning.
On the flip side, I work with the nicest people on the face of the earth. It's very much an 'all for one' atmosphere and we have a stupid amount of fun during and after work. Many a time when it's not busy, i've been involved in a dance off, or a hearty game of "balls" (a game in which you pretty much molest a co-worker, while shouting the name of what we've groped, i.e "balls!" "Boob!" "minge!"). I've also made friends with of lot of customers, which is a bonus, though i've not played 'balls' with any of them.
And there's an Alternative night on a monday, so it's not horrific music all week through.

I would definitely reccomend working in an pub/club. If anything, it makes you a whole lot more confident, and a hell of a lot more resilient to gross things.
I hope we mess things up in a huge and beautiful fashion.

Pernix takes the rat and uses it as a peen sock.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2009, 10:15 »

I work as a paintball marshall, which I guess sounds cool. What it means is that I occasionally get shot while I herd around small kids who forget the rules every round. It's usually a really relaxed job though (except around the extremely high pressure air tanks), so the atomsphere makes it bareable. Plus I already knew half the staff when I started working there.

Story: myself and some friends went paintballing there recently and my friend said he was tempted to jump over the campfire we have. The manager said "go for it" so he ran full pelt and leaped over it. Unfortunately so did another of our friends, from a different direction. They collided mid-air and landed in the fire.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009, 10:19 by öde »

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2009, 10:20 »

I work at a pub, which is cool because it is the pub I've been going to once a week (at the very least) since a few years. Basically it means that I get paid to get drunk (and all I drink while I'm working is free).

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2009, 10:27 »

I used to work in a pub once or twice a week to it was pretty cool although we didn't get free drinks the boss usually drank so much vodka she wouldn't notice if we took a few dozen shots. We use to shoot the drink guns at each other and throw ice and beer coasters about. Usually we'd fave family parties and they'd give us buffet sometimes loads to take home.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2009, 13:16 »

My dad has had lots of fairly cool/boring jobs. He once spent a half day watching bottles go past in cartons because there were not enough people to form a full team (apparently they couldn't check the bottles for breakages without five people?) but they couldn't fire them before the end of the day because of their contract or something. He also spent time as an egg packer. I think it's the kind of thing everyone goes through - I spent four months being paid to play on Denise Lewis Heptaphlon (ok I wasn't being paid to do it but they were paying me and I was doing it) which was actually incredibly boring.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2009, 13:33 »

at one point, i worked at a huge electronics warehouse in Arizona packing boxes and shipping things. it was pretty lame but the warehouse was so massive that the opportunities for slacking off were incredible. for example, you could lie down in between two massive televisions and take a nap, or build a little fort out of cardboard boxes and rest a bit.
the most interesting thing about that job though was definitely this guy who everyone called Crack Shaq, because he literally looked exactly like Shaq, but on crack. he was about ten feet tall and had no teeth, and apparently was pretty laid back because he didn't mind being called Crack Shaq. i miss that guy.

my current job consists of sitting on the internet all day, listening to music, and occasionally talking to people and answering the phone. it is pretty great.

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scrambled Egg Machine

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Of course you realize this means war.
« Reply #28 on: 26 Feb 2009, 14:24 »

I work at Wal*Mart. This has been my first and only job so far. You have made me depressed.
Not so sure about these things anymore.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #29 on: 26 Feb 2009, 15:13 »

I worked for NAMCO BANDAI Games America as a video game tester.  So basically I would play video games for 8 hours and get paid to do so.

Yeah I got to test Rockband 2 before it came out for a company in Montreal.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

TheViscount

« Reply #30 on: 26 Feb 2009, 15:24 »

yeah it was a really boring job and i feel sort of bad for finding it funny, but when we were talking about past jobs and she brought that up i just could not stop laughing for ages at the fact that her only responsibility was to poke boxes with a stick. like, they gave her a poking stick and everything. if you really think about it, it is basically fordism at its most dehumanizing and scary but if you don't think about it and just focus on the mental image it is a pretty funny one.

The ups and downs of division of labour. But the poking stick is pretty funny.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009, 16:37 by TheViscount »

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #31 on: 26 Feb 2009, 16:08 »

Hmm...really?  'cause awhile back Neil Swaab told me that webcomic artists are just a bunch of merchandise salesmen and don't think that too many people would be happy with a job hustling t-shirts.  When I imagine Jeph's daily life I envision the dude standing on a busy street corner with a foldout table piled high with T-shirts, a mournful look on his mug.  Sometimes a tear rolls down his check because he really wants to draw a cute blond chick with OCD but he can't find the time to pull out his Wacom because he is too busy selling those T-shirts.  And I believe that senario because Neil Swaab is a syndicated cartoonist and shit.  And NOTHING could go wrong with a syndicated profession...you know unless we have an economic downturn or something...

End sarcasm.  (with the whole topatoco deal I don't think my street corner senario makes much sense anymore)

Librarianship has it's it's small ups and downs but I enjoy my job and I figure that overall it's a pretty sweet deal.

I get to order books.

My office is hid behind huge shelves of books.  Nobody bugs me.

I get to organize cool events like the video game day this weekend.

And answering people's reference questions is neat because I learn more random things as I help the patrons.

Plus the drunks at this library are really nice.  The last guy asked me to call the police on him.  Then as he was being led away in the squad car he told the cop that I "wuz a real good guy".

It's the best job I ever had.  (I am working right now)

« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009, 16:33 by Caleb »

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2009, 16:24 »

During the summers I have an acting job on a train line. I am an actor on the Wild West shows, and the improv shows. The train is about 200 years old, and really awesome. I get paid, on average, $35 dollars an hour.

For the improv show, all I do is play improv games on a moving train for two hours. For the wild west show, I get paid to dress up as a cowboy, flirt with all of the girls on the train, stage a break out/train robbery, and then die in a shoot out at the end.

I think I might have the best job ever. Though, this upcoming summer, I'm getting paid a lot more to do a children's dinner theater on the same train, but I have to play the part of Harry Potter.

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #33 on: 26 Feb 2009, 16:32 »

The job I held from 2005 (when I moved to the city) to early last year was full of awesome. It was data entry, which I didn't mind, because I got a LOT of music listenin' done. And after the first few months there wasn't much to even data enter, so it morphed into a play on the Internet and read and draw comics all day job, which paid $25k and had health insurance. For two years I got paid to sit in a comfy chair and read and take two-hour lunches. Good lord I loved that job. Unfortunately we lost the grant funding, GEE WONDER WHY??

The job I have now is pretty similar, except there is not as much opportunity to slack off, and I don't have health insurance, but we have our own copy machine so when I finish a new comic you know what that means!!

I think the poking stick is funny.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2009, 17:02 »

I would be so bad at any kind of factory inspection job.  I'd do okay for about fifteen minutes before I'd space out thinking about what to cook for dinner or something like that.  I admire the focus of anyone who can do it.

I have mainly had the kind of job where people yell at you, but one summer I did get to work as the prep person for a produce department.  I got loads of free food.  If an apple had a bruise on one side, for example, I could take it back and eat the good half.  I cut up melons and veggies all day, and was actually encouraged to sample everything to make sure it was ripe and tasty enough.  I got paid to snack.  It was great.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #35 on: 26 Feb 2009, 18:22 »

I think I might have the best job ever.

You are correct.  And I am jealous.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #36 on: 26 Feb 2009, 18:58 »

I have never had a job and live on my parents' income.

The Voice

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #37 on: 26 Feb 2009, 19:47 »

Yeah I got to test Rockband 2 before it came out for a company in Montreal.

You win. I only got to test a couple JRPGs.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #38 on: 26 Feb 2009, 20:00 »

When I worked QA on ATI's mac team I got to play with all the macs before they were released. Who wants to play with the latest mac tower that isn't yet released with souped up graphics cards that we are testing with running two 30" cinema displays at the same time? Those were  the days, those were the days. Besides the fact that I lived in an place that totally sapped my life force. Incidentally that is why I am here now.
Also I got to disassemble iMacs sometimes and discovered they were putting cameras in them before that was announced. Apple actually shipped us iMacs with the cameras disabled in old iMac casings so we couldn't actually see the camera! Most prototypes actually just came in nondescript metal cases anyways.
Also I got to play with Mac's photoboth software before any of you did, so everytime you see a silly thing being done with the effects that I have actually done it first. In the interests of thorough testing.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #39 on: 27 Feb 2009, 03:44 »

As in: you get to do what you love ... yeah. Definately. And I am jealous.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #40 on: 27 Feb 2009, 04:46 »

I am in a place with usually over 1000 people, and I get to be on the internet for my entire shift. I draw at work, I never really have any major responsibilities, and I get to stay up all night. Also, in my second job, I paint miniatures, which is something I love to do, and that is why it is my second job. My third job is working one 4 hour shift at the game store where I get the miniatures, this consists of sitting near the front with my miniatures, painting them, and ringing up customers when need be.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

ViciousWarGoose

« Reply #41 on: 27 Feb 2009, 05:44 »

I pretty much am on the internet or reading ebooks all day, but I am a manager at a very large liqueur distributor, so I also get nigh unlimited free booze. 

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #42 on: 27 Feb 2009, 05:53 »

but I am a manager at a very large liqueur distributor, so I also get nigh unlimited free booze.

We SO need to talk.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:37 »

Inter in the Wisconsin state capitol.

Doesn't sound that amazing, but for one obsessed, as I am, with politics and civics, it was. Sweetening the deal was the fact that the staff person I reported to was a lady of only 23 years, and she was incredibly cute and we had lunch together every day. Also, 10 dollars an hour is a pretty darn good wage for a first job and an internship. And I had a reason to wear a suit every day! And shit do I love wearing a suit.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #44 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:39 »

I pretty much am on the internet or reading ebooks all day, but I am a manager at a very large liqueur distributor, so I also get nigh unlimited free booze. 

This explains your great taste in whisky.

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

ViciousWarGoose

« Reply #45 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:26 »

/\ you are correct sir.  Laphroaig 21yr Cask Strength (106.8) FTW!

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #46 on: 27 Feb 2009, 10:38 »

/\ you are correct sir.  Laphroaig 21yr Cask Strength (106.8) FTW!

I say again...we SO need to TALK...

I like booze...hurr hurr...

S

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #47 on: 27 Feb 2009, 11:07 »

I too interned at a local guitar shop, but the guys I worked with were burn-out Lower East Side hipsters who did nothing but mock inexperienced customers and start pissing contests with the ones who knew what they were talking about.

In fact everything there changes at a glacial pace so I'm quite certain that at this moment, as I'm typing this, those same four guys are sitting there, faking boredom a little more than necessary, drinking Guinness and trying to hawk vintage Les Pauls to people.

I did get to shoot the shit with Anton Newcombe (who was at the time and remains still my personal idol), and apparently I'd have met J Mascis and Nick Zinner if I'd stuck around for longer.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #48 on: 27 Feb 2009, 11:32 »

Wait they get to hang out and drink on the job?

And mess about with guitars? That is a fuck of a job.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #49 on: 27 Feb 2009, 22:47 »

.. what did you think guitar salesmen did?
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up