THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Women imagined in advertising => Gender, sex and society  (Read 16824 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: Women imagined in advertising => Gender, sex and society
« Reply #50 on: 01 Mar 2009, 15:08 »

It's not a case of being aware of them, the sub-conscious doesn't work like that.  When you are exposed to these kinds of images all the time it gets in.

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
  • For I am a happy, happy pokemon!
« Reply #51 on: 01 Mar 2009, 17:24 »

Maybe so but even then it always comes down to where you personally draw the line. Photoshopping? Cosmetic surgery? Make-up?

People have a remarkable ability to avoid looking at ads without consciously registering them so I would think even your sub-conscious registers whether what you're looking at is supposed to be real or not.
Quote from: Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said
"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #52 on: 01 Mar 2009, 17:47 »

It isn't so much "this is real" as "this is ideal".
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
« Reply #53 on: 02 Mar 2009, 06:18 »

Yes, but it's not so much "Hey, you, you want to look like this!" as "Hey, this is what people you think are cool look like and they're wearing our shit!"

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
« Reply #54 on: 02 Mar 2009, 06:31 »

How is that different from what I said?

Let me elaborate, I really hope I don't offend anyone when I say this but my opinion is that people who wish they looked like models in ads generally have a low self-esteem that comes from somewhere else and they blame ads because they're very apparent and in your face. The point of ads isn't to prey on peoples low self-esteem, that's just an unfortunate side effect, ads are mostly aimed at early adopters.

That said, once again, no sources on this, just my own thoughts.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2009, 06:53 by Gurkburk »

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #55 on: 02 Mar 2009, 07:20 »

how do ads not prey on people's low self-esteem? you agreed that their basic point was to say to everyone, "wearing our shit will make you as cool as these people!"... so it's kind of a given then that the type of people who buy the product are likely going to be those who didn't already feel like they were cool enough and wanted to be cooler.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #56 on: 02 Mar 2009, 10:41 »

If people are so saturated with the images from advertising that it skews their idea of the norm, they are watching too much TV/reading too many magazines.

Mine is a relatively uninformed opinion. I have not studied psychology or advertising, so the only insight I can offer is based of personal experience and opinion.

Jessica Alba has an amazing body and chances are she knows this because she has pretty much made a career off of it. Most of us won't have a body like Jessica Alba's in the pre-airbrushed photo, but nobody seems to mind that she does ads and appears in the public eye. And I don't entirely understand that since everybody is complaining that the post-airbrushing photo is fake and unrealistic, it also seems to be getting shouted down because it's unattainable. If it's unattractive, isn't it reassuring to know that it's pretty much impossible?

People are somewhat impressionable, but they aren't dumb. I'm not going to buy a drink or a cologne on the off chance that I might look like Jessica Alba/Keira Knightley/Marilyn Monroe by the time I'm finished with it and probably nobody else will either. They aren't selling a body image in that ad. Most advertising is selling some form of fantasy and I think most people recognize it as that.

I hope some of this makes any kind of sense. I don't know, I'm just sort of losing my train of thought.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #57 on: 02 Mar 2009, 10:59 »

I really, really want to be one of the people who says that they aren't swayed by adverts but I know for a fact that I would buy a perfume purely because it has the name of a celebrity I like on it. The fact that I don't yet own one of these perfumes has more to do with my lack of disposable income (and horror of shopping) than my ability to resist advertising. I don't know what it says about me that I would buy something that is purely scent-related on the basis that the woman advertising it is attractive. Perhaps I am unbearably shallow?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #58 on: 02 Mar 2009, 11:00 »

Everybody is shallow. Products just cash in on it.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #59 on: 02 Mar 2009, 13:36 »

Oh, god, why did you guys bring up Rob Liefeld? That man should be beaten to death with a bundle of old EC comics. Preferably ones with Jack Davis covers.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
« Reply #60 on: 02 Mar 2009, 15:03 »

how do ads not prey on people's low self-esteem? you agreed that their basic point was to say to everyone, "wearing our shit will make you as cool as these people!"... so it's kind of a given then that the type of people who buy the product are likely going to be those who didn't already feel like they were cool enough and wanted to be cooler.

No, that's exactly the contrary of what I said. The basic point of ads is to show off a brand more times than the competition so that when you're in a store next time you'll pick coke over pepsi, for example. A way of getting people to remember your brand is by giving it a positive connotation by having it endorsed by someone you perceive as someone you know and trust, for example, Jessica Alba. We know it works because in independent tests made, people will give completely different answers depending on if they get to see the brands they're testing or not.

You seem to draw a direct line between not feeling cool enough and wanting to be cooler, I think that's where our main difference lies. I do not think you seeing something that would make you cooler makes you feel less cool than you did before you saw that thing. Even if what you said was true the only thing you could blame advertising for is making it more apparent.

How is seeing an ad any different from watching 90210 or Degrassi or any other show with ridiculously attractive people? The only difference I can really see is that the ads would make it seem attainable.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #62 on: 02 Mar 2009, 21:48 »

Good lord the "Perky Encounters" are amazing.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #63 on: 02 Mar 2009, 22:46 »

Yes, Rob Liefeld is the devil's unwanted bastard child, but come on. He did give us Deathstr- I MEAN DEADPOOL!
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #64 on: 02 Mar 2009, 22:57 »

Quote from: bodyperks.com
I bought two pairs and sometimes I place two nipples on each breast just for fun. You should see the looks I get! As if people haven't seen a woman with four nipples before!

oh my god

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #65 on: 02 Mar 2009, 22:57 »

I LOVE NIPPLES!! i bought these nipples before i went on spring break and i got more guys than anyone there. People could not stop staring at my hot nipple-baring body clad only in skimpy bikini. i made out with more guys on the dance floor than anyone else there! body perks are THE BEST INVENTION EVER!

Hooray, You're a slut?
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #66 on: 03 Mar 2009, 00:02 »

I don't think they hold any delusions, there, though.  Their "About Us" section quotes an article which says:

"I think lots of young, single girls looking for that kind of attention, the same who wear the low-waisted jeans, will go for it," said Merle Ginsberg, entertainment editor for W magazine. "You won't see it on the chicest women."

And they're okay with that--as of the writing of that article, they'd sold 23,000 pairs at $20 a pop.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #67 on: 03 Mar 2009, 01:57 »

I LOVE NIPPLES!! i bought these nipples before i went on spring break and i got more guys than anyone there. People could not stop staring at my hot nipple-baring body clad only in skimpy bikini. i made out with more guys on the dance floor than anyone else there! body perks are THE BEST INVENTION EVER!

Hooray, You're a slut?
Are we going to get into the extreme differences in how we view women that like that sort of thing (can't think of the word, it isn't really sex) versus men that do? Because that seems like the perfect lead-in.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Aztex

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #68 on: 03 Mar 2009, 07:19 »

What we must remember is that this installation of ideals expectation to become "perfect" also exists in male advertising. Although this could more be trageted towards the competitive "1up" nature of male dominance interactions. I think nothing says it better than this ad.

image screenshotted and borrowed from retrogoddess73 on Flickr
You do get kids who do get bullied for being small or weak, for not being a part of the norm.This is probably  just a part of our primal stupidity, but advertising and media portrayal of what is the right thing must have effect.
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2009, 07:23 by Aztex »

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #69 on: 03 Mar 2009, 07:45 »

Quote from: bodyperks.com
I bought two pairs and sometimes I place two nipples on each breast just for fun. You should see the looks I get! As if people haven't seen a woman with four nipples before!

oh my god

The best part about this testimonial is the person who's giving it .

Name: Gloria Redall

I think I'll stay away from the west coast for a while

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #70 on: 03 Mar 2009, 08:05 »

i need to borrow $40 right now

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #71 on: 03 Mar 2009, 08:07 »

It won't make you look 62 though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #72 on: 03 Mar 2009, 08:44 »

Name: Terence W. "Terry" Maddox
Date: 04/12/2004
Comments:Placed my order Monday, received Bodyperks Thursday; that's good service! The unexpected little velvet fetish bag adds another touch of class. Well done, ladies! As I had hoped, the Bodyperks matched my sweetheart's own suckers fairly closely, no painting or trimming necessary; so I chucked a tiny one- thirtysecond-inch bit in my drill press and made a nearly invisible opening close to the edge of each Bodyperk. This enabled me to assemble a pair of danglehook earrings for my sweetheart to display from her ears, only partly concealed by her soft, flaxen hair. She was stunned when she first saw them, and she looks stunning (her word) wherever she wears them, which is everywhere. She has never once tried them on her chest.

:|

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #73 on: 03 Mar 2009, 09:09 »

Samantha uses those fake nipples to attract a dude in the episode, Baby, talk is cheap in sex and the city

I MEAN WHAT?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #74 on: 03 Mar 2009, 11:52 »

Are we going to get into the extreme differences in how we view women that like that sort of thing (can't think of the word, it isn't really sex) versus men that do? Because that seems like the perfect lead-in.
Promiscuity is promiscuity whether you're male or female. I sure as hell wouldn't be making out with multiple strangers on a dance floor.
My Last.FM

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
« Reply #75 on: 03 Mar 2009, 12:01 »

I LOVE WANGS!! i bought this wang before i went on spring break and i got more girls than anyone there. People could not stop staring at my hot wang-baring body clad only in skimpy banana hammock. i made out with more girls on the dance floor than anyone else there! wang-wangs are THE BEST INVENTION EVER!

Hooray, You're a slut?

Nope, still looks like a slut to me. Possibly a man-slut.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #76 on: 03 Mar 2009, 12:47 »

Of course, because there is no difference between how promiscuous men and women are viewed.  :roll:
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #77 on: 03 Mar 2009, 12:53 »

But would it be better if promiscuous men were viewed the same way as promiscuous women, as sluts, or should a promiscuous woman get high fives from all her girlfriends every time she makes out with more than three guys one night?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #78 on: 03 Mar 2009, 12:59 »

neither. treat it as something that shouldn't be judged and isn't your business, because it isn't.
who cares what people do in their spare time? being promiscuous isn't necessarily synonymous with being stupid or irresponsible. some people just aren't in a monogamous relationship and like things that are fun.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #79 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:00 »

Of course, because there is no difference between how promiscuous men and women are viewed.  :roll:
Double standards suck, eh?
My Last.FM

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
« Reply #80 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:19 »

Well nobody here seems willing to admit they do.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #81 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:43 »

This thread is only going down from here.
My Last.FM

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
« Reply #82 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:43 »

What? No!

I basically share the same stance as tania on this with the addition that you should just be careful about diseases. I'm pretty sure most people here think the same and if there's someone who doesn't they haven't said anything yet. Basically what I'm saying is they sure as hell aren't openly sexist.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up