THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 14:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: why are people friends with faye  (Read 18269 times)

lolwut

why are people friends with faye
« on: 27 Feb 2009, 05:55 »

because i mean the only things that she has that make her likable are her tits and hips and possibly ass; she is completely unlikable as a person

she's a an unrelenting bitch

i do not recall her ever showing redeeming qualities

i am basically saying that if she was a real person i would not want to be around her (except to have sex with her but once it was understood that only roofies would make that possible i would not pursue that line of inquiry further)

it's one of the things that i don't understand about qc

enlighten me?

lolwut

Re: why are people friends with faye
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:05 »

i agree that she's a good character

that's not what i meant in the op; i was saying that she's a completely unlikable person and that i don't see why anybody tolerates her in their space because that shit would get seriously tiring

then again i have more of a spine than marten

i dunno it just kills my suspension of disbelief sometimes

edit: i may have misread you; if you meant that you (would) find her funny as a person and not seriously fucking tiresome then you have a much higher tolerance for stupid bullshit than i do and i salute you sir
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2009, 06:09 by lolwut »

ViciousWarGoose

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:20 »

Doesn't everyone have at least one annoying friend? I can't be the only one.  I really don't think that Faye is all that bad, or maybe I find her quirks to be less annoying that some other people might. 

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:35 »

Because the other characters are written to be her friends.

lolwut

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:48 »

elaborate?

kabukiman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:09 »

I have a friend who is similar to Faye. She have a lot's of friends and a boyfriend. I don't know why, it's not rational, but we tolerate everything she says, because it's the way she is.

Zingoleb

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:18 »

elaborate?

Well, there's this comic, see? And in it, there's this chick named Faye, see? And the writer decided that she has friends, see?

...see?

lolwut

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:25 »

elaborate?

Well, there's this comic, see? And in it, there's this chick named Faye, see? And the writer decided that she has friends, see?

...see?

...no?

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:02 »

because i mean the only things that she has that make her likable are her tits and hips and possibly ass; she is completely unlikable as a person

i am basically saying that if she was a real person i would not want to be around her (except to have sex with her but once it was understood that only roofies would make that possible i would not pursue that line of inquiry further)

enlighten me?
Your post makes me wonder why anyone would be friends with you, either.
Seriously.

But to answer your question:
Just becasue you want to be around somebody, that makes them unlikeable?
Some people would probably get on just fine with her, especially her sense of humor.
Lrn2Ppl.
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

thejennamonster

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:03 »

elaborate?

...see?

...no?

It's because She Isn't Real. Neither are any of the other characters. She's a figment of some guy's imagination, therefore his imagination can dictate how other imaginary people relate to her. If he imagines that they like her, then they like her. If he imagines that they don't, they don't. Jeph happens to imagine that this imaginary girl has friends. So she does.

Feel free to find that the fact that you Don't like this imaginary person to mean that you're not a figment of Jeph's imagination (because if you were an imaginary person, too, you would prolly like her). Congratulations.

Mallli_kite

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:07 »

Faye is honest.  She stands up to defend her friends (witness the whole Vespa Avenger thing, her run in with Sven after he gets Marten involved in his nonsense).   She's smart, she's funny, and when you want to have a full on snark fest, she's the best.  She will play along, and when she's wrong -- usually -- she apologizes.  Those are pretty big qualities.

It's reasonably apparent in the archives.  Yes, Faye is the 'Troubled Friend', but, damn, if you can only see her physical assets, you aren't looking.  If A is friends with B only because of great tits, etc,. then A is capable of greater assitude than Sven ever imagined.

As for the 'she's written to have friends' thing -- true, but shallow.  If the friendships in the writing didn't make sense, few folks would be reading this, much less discussing it in a forum.  The writing has to have a consistent interior logic or it would just be so much garbage with pretty color illustrations.  It wouldn't even engender the question of "Why are people friends with Faye"?
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

lolwut

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:26 »

Faye is honest.  She stands up to defend her friends (witness the whole Vespa Avenger thing, her run in with Sven after he gets Marten involved in his nonsense).   She's smart, she's funny, and when you want to have a full on snark fest, she's the best.  She will play along, and when she's wrong -- usually -- she apologizes.  Those are pretty big qualities.

the only two of those that are obviously apparent are the defending her friends thing and the snarkfest, but okay
it doesn't seem to me that faye has any sense of humour beyond tearing down other people, and she doesn't seem that intelligent outside that speciific area either

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:48 »

Doesn't everyone have at least one annoying friend?

Yes.

Me.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

ViciousWarGoose

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:58 »

Yes.

Me.

S
I guess I should own up to that too...lost some friends over the years because of it, but oh well...
I imagine if Faye were real she would change over time anyway, everybody does.

Mallli_kite

• Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2009, 09:13 »

the only two of those that are obviously apparent are the defending her friends thing and the snarkfest, but okay
it doesn't seem to me that faye has any sense of humour beyond tearing down other people, and she doesn't seem that intelligent outside that speciific area either

You've missed a fair number of cultural and historical references made in the comic attributed to Faye, then.  And it takes brains to snark quickly.  Dumb people rarely use sarcasm well.  It takes intelligence to find double meanings in what others say and do it quickly.

Of course, in reality what we attribute to Faye as intelligence is really the intelligence and knowledge of Jeph Jacques.
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

lolwut

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2009, 09:26 »

You've missed a fair number of cultural and historical references made in the comic attributed to Faye, then.  And it takes brains to snark quickly.  Dumb people rarely use sarcasm well.  It takes intelligence to find double meanings in what others say and do it quickly.

Of course, in reality what we attribute to Faye as intelligence is really the intelligence and knowledge of Jeph Jacques.

being (relatively) widely read != intelligent

they're two different things. intelligence has to do with how, and how quickly, you come to grips with an logical problem, not what you can quote.

viatriphop

• Emoticontraindication
  • ~ wah wha wha
    • ~~~
« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2009, 10:32 »

faye is so mean to me :(
Maybe you two should sit down and talk out your differences over a cup of coffee.
~~~~~

lolwut

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2009, 10:35 »

viatriphop

• Emoticontraindication
  • ~ wah wha wha
    • ~~~
« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2009, 14:31 »

~~~~~

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2009, 15:04 »

I do have to agree with Lolwut. Faye has very few redeeming qualities, and in a comic that we are supposed to buy into at least a little as being slightly realistic, it doesn't make sense that many people would like her.

Of course there is nothing redeeming about Sven either. Maybe this comic is showing that no matter how awful of a person you are, if you are pretty you will get friends and people that like you. I guess that IS pretty realistic.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2009, 15:06 by Cartilage Head »
Hate, rain on me

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #20 on: 27 Feb 2009, 23:53 »

For examples of her sense of humor, consider any of the improv sessions at Coffee of Doom, for example the one about the bread mines.

As far as intelligence goes, granted it's not a perfect correlation, but we know she did well in school from what Amanda said in strip 170.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2009, 01:11 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #21 on: 28 Feb 2009, 00:21 »

I think her friends have been looking past the surface antagonism.

Beneath the prickly exterior they believed they saw redeeming qualities, even if they were buried. Marten's mom, who's portrayed as a perceptive character, said "you're a nice girl at heart". Her honesty about what she does to people probably made it easier for them to relate to her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #22 on: 28 Feb 2009, 00:23 »

She's funny, she's beautiful, she has her own mind, she respects people, and, most importantly, she has a good heart overall.

Only category I can think of where she's in trouble is the "nice" category, but while Faye loves to pose and threaten a lot, she isnt actually violent, and the violence she had emitted before (punching) has lowered a lot as well. When it matters, she is never violent.

Too, she does get theraphy.
Carpe Diem

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #23 on: 28 Feb 2009, 01:04 »

she got dem big tittys

dudez like dem big ol tittyz
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

kyleg

• Plantmonster
« Reply #24 on: 28 Feb 2009, 03:13 »

This guy never ceases to crack me up.

Abigmoron

• Plantmonster
« Reply #25 on: 28 Feb 2009, 06:20 »

I don't understand why Faye is commonly perceived as a bitch.  All I can think of is that she occasionally punches Marten, and she occasionally can be sarcastic.  Whats the deal?

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #26 on: 28 Feb 2009, 06:52 »

I think I'm very much in the same boat as Faye.  I'm an asshole at times, and a pretty big one at that, but I think the reason people are willing to put up with people like me/Faye is because not only are we conscious of how we act at times, but going beyond acknowledging it,  take steps to correct said actions in the interest of social interaction.  Plus I can totally relate to the reaction of being very closed, standoffish and snarky around people due to just how much we've got running through our heads at any given time.  Granted, the things on Faye's mind are much more grave than the things in mine, but the essence of it is still there, methinks.

faye is so mean to me :(
Maybe you two should sit down and talk out your differences over a cup of coffee.

This was a great post.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #27 on: 28 Feb 2009, 08:27 »

I don't understand why Faye is commonly perceived as a bitch.  All I can think of is that she occasionally punches Marten, and she occasionally can be sarcastic.  Whats the deal?

Because it isn't that she occasionally punches Marten, it's more than she is only occasionally nice. I see why people are friends with her because she can be a stand-up pal and will sometimes go to bat for you, but usually even then it's only because she's being mean to someone else in the process (milk in Marten's ex's face, cornering Sven in an alley. That sort of thing.). But even if I were friendly with her I probably wouldn't hang out with her much because she tends to have a mean sense of humor and it's usually aimed at someone else.

She can also be pretty selfish and inconsiderate. I have no idea what number comic it is, but I recall being pretty irked when she asked Marten to come glasses shopping with her and he was planning on restringing his guitar to which she replied "No, you are coming with me and that's that." or something and there have been others like that.

Maybe it's a mark of good writing that a character can rile so many people up, but I'd have to say that Faye is mostly an asshole. Assholes deserve friends too, though (and usually have them).
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Dunnoe

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #28 on: 28 Feb 2009, 12:33 »

because of our nurturing instinct, lulz. or because

Quote from: jeph
dudez like dem tig ol bittyz
(fixed)

faye has some good moments, and she's funny. who doesn't want to be with funny people? (double entendre!)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2009, 13:33 »

The glasses shopping strip is #271.

#1187 is evidence of bitch-hood. If she'd stopped with discouraging Wil, no problem, but she went ahead and told him to approach Pennelope and gave him advice that would have sabotaged his socializing and annoyed Pennelope.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Masterbainter

• FIGHT YOU
  • those times...
« Reply #30 on: 01 Mar 2009, 09:40 »

pretty sure Jeph posted why, conversation over.   :-P
Hey guys let me tell you about my intercourses.

My intercourses, let me tell you about them.

championofkhorne

« Reply #31 on: 01 Mar 2009, 10:35 »

she got dem big tittys

dudez like dem big ol tittyz

and their you go

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #32 on: 01 Mar 2009, 13:25 »

#1187 is evidence of bitch-hood. If she'd stopped with discouraging Wil, no problem, but she went ahead and told him to approach Pennelope and gave him advice that would have sabotaged his socializing and annoyed Pennelope.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1187

:?
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #33 on: 01 Mar 2009, 13:47 »

I'd probably be her friend. You must remember that she's DEVELOPED as a chracter. When she moved in with Marten she wasn't who she is now. I found her to be pretty nice. She's never been a bitch to Marten or Dora or anything. She's made Marten cakes and stuff.
There is no sin except stupidity

Random832

« Reply #34 on: 01 Mar 2009, 14:02 »

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1187

:?

championofkhorne

« Reply #35 on: 01 Mar 2009, 15:10 »

that is what happens to people without spines

Lyrical

• Plantmonster
« Reply #36 on: 01 Mar 2009, 16:13 »

And the followup, where Sven sets Wil straight, is at http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1189

I haven't had anyone quite *that* mean who is a part of my social circle, but there are people I occasionally hang out with who are friends of friends, but I wouldn't actually trust with anything important, and don't consider a friend.  I think that's really common, especially for 20-somethings - a couple of people are friends with each other, and know a lot of people, or people get involved in hobbies with people they don't necessarily *like* much.  I have pretty high standards for close friends, but not for friendly acquaintances.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #37 on: 01 Mar 2009, 17:14 »

because she's cute!

tlunden

« Reply #38 on: 01 Mar 2009, 19:07 »

Her character is great.

As is the case with anything and everything that you don't directly monitor yourself, other stuff happens. And other people do other stuff. And stuff.

It's a web comic, as well as the characters can be developed, they "have lives" beyond what you see in the comic. Just because she may hit Marten once in a while doesn't mean she consistently and constantly beats him when the "comic camera" is off.

She's somewhat damaged- she had a rough time when she was younger. She has excellent taste in music from what we can tell, and she can banter with the greatest. She's well-read, intelligent, and funny. She's not this inimicable bitch who is always and forcefully mean and rude to everyone around her. She has ups and downs like everyone else.

sophle

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #39 on: 01 Mar 2009, 19:25 »

And she's demonstrated before that she cares about her friends. She's a bitch sometimes, but not all the times. She's not perfect, but Dora has her crazy insecurities, and Hanners has her crazy. They are all flawed, but basically good people. Such is life.
What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye.

Cap'n Treacherous

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.pressstartcomic.com
« Reply #40 on: 01 Mar 2009, 20:36 »

People hang out with Faye because women have a sense of solidarity in hanging out with the bitch, and men with no spine keep thinking that they will be the one to "change her."  Sven is the only one who had the right idea in scoring with her then cheating on her- she's unduly acerbic enough to the point that she deserves to have her feelings hurt.

Quote from: kabukiman
I have a friend who is similar to Faye. She have a lot's of friends and a boyfriend. I don't know why, it's not rational, but we tolerate everything she says, because it's the way she is.

Guys don't ever, ever get such a luxury.  Any guy who acts like a sarcastic asshole is the one who leaves the bar alone, every night.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2009, 20:39 by Cap'n Treacherous »
"He was a zombie?"

nimnix

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #41 on: 01 Mar 2009, 21:37 »

Guys don't ever, ever get such a luxury.  Any guy who acts like a sarcastic asshole is the one who leaves the bar alone, every night.

Then why do I still hear men and women saying "women like assholes"?  Why are there guys who are convinced that they have to act like an asshole to get chicks?  Obviously some guys get away with it just fine, and probably for the same reason Faye does.  Only the attractive ones get away with it.

Cap'n Treacherous

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.pressstartcomic.com
« Reply #42 on: 01 Mar 2009, 21:57 »

Then why do I still hear men and women saying "women like assholes"?  Why are there guys who are convinced that they have to act like an asshole to get chicks?  Obviously some guys get away with it just fine, and probably for the same reason Faye does.  Only the attractive ones get away with it.

Guys don't get to be sarcastic assholes with women, even the attractive ones.  The type of "asshole" that attractive guys are supposed to be is the kind who makes fun of women's insecurities with a smile, like "yeah Donna, we all know you're a little wide around the hips" whereupon the guy will grab Donna around the waist and lift her up and she'll squeal.

The type of sarcastic asshole I'm thinking of who doesn't get to be with girls would say to Donna "you're a product of a looks-obsessed society and you've made your appearance the only goal of your life, I hope it was worth it."  Yeah, that guy gets to go home alone.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2009, 22:00 by Cap'n Treacherous »
"He was a zombie?"

nimnix

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #43 on: 01 Mar 2009, 22:10 »

I wish that were actually true.  The sad part is I know a woman who's completely into a guy who is the second type of asshole (a real asshole, not good-natured joking), and not just to other people, but to her also. 

I guess my point is, attraction will make people excuse all kinds of things.  It usually sounds something like, "Well, he has his good qualities.  He just likes things a certain way" or "well, she's just really honest."  Some people will overlook a lot of things if they're attracted enough.  I've seen both men and women explain away giant glaring warning signs and faults just because the guy/girl was hot.  They swear they see the "real" person, and that deep down he/she is really very nice or just had a hard life.

Wilshire

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #44 on: 06 Mar 2009, 12:10 »

enlighten me?

I would love to be around Faye. Even taking away the fact that she is oddly attractive. But then again I am a pretty judgemental and mean person myself, so having someone to hang out with off to the side and just make fun of people is fun! For me...

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #45 on: 06 Mar 2009, 14:49 »

My brother is a complete asshole.  I don't think I've heard him make a single joke that wasn't insulting to someone else.  He's usually pretty funny though, and he doesn't take it too far, so he's actually pretty popular.  You can get away with being a jerk as long as you make people laugh, regardless of your gender.

championofkhorne

« Reply #46 on: 06 Mar 2009, 17:30 »

it's how I get laid. lol

ChippyD

• Plantmonster
« Reply #47 on: 06 Mar 2009, 19:38 »

In real life, people are often snarky. People make fun of each other. They have bad moods more often then not.

if anyone is unrealistic, its Marten and his infinite patience. I'd actually be kind of wary of a person like that.

I digress. Faye is likeable because she's genuine. And while she does snark, its not with venom usually. Its her way of showing affection. Dora and Marten understand that,  and appreciate it. A mature adult knows how to differentiate between a true pure asshole and someone with a rough sense of humor and exterior.

The topic poster is not one of those kinds of people.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #48 on: 06 Mar 2009, 21:05 »

My aunt used to go out with a real asshole. I mean he would take her out to eat, stuff his face, and then if she ate anything but salady diet food he'd be snipe at her until she felt like utter shit I went out to a buffet with them once. She had a plate with a bit of fish, greens and rice, he had a plate loaded with all manner of fatty foods. I brought her a baked potato with sour cream and butter. He actually said to her"Are you really going to eat that? Your ass won't thank you for it." I told him what I thought of him, called him an asshole,told him to go fuck himself and walked out. My aunt dated him for a few more month before moving on to a different sort of asshole. Some people like to be treated like shit.

I've had several friends who other people couldn't stand. They tried my patience sometimes but they were good people at the core of them. I think, since I'm so screwed up, I tend to put with stuff some people might not when I know where it comes from.  So, I'd probably be friend with Faye. I have a couple of bitchy friends anyway.

Come think of it, there are quite a few things about Faye that remind me of my sister ... that's disturbing.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #49 on: 06 Mar 2009, 21:09 »

And while she does snark, its not with venom usually. Its her way of showing affection.
Faye is like a puppy who growls at you and chews on your hand but is actually playing.

On the other hand, is it showing affection, or is it a way of keeping her distance?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up