THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 04:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: Mar 2-6, 2009  (Read 56250 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Re: WCT: Mar 2-6, 2009
« Reply #50 on: 02 Mar 2009, 18:57 »

Hmmm, The Adventures of Steve might be a good excuse to visit Hannelore's father's space station.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Golani

« Reply #51 on: 02 Mar 2009, 19:50 »

Cool strip, QC needs more of the wow-random that this is. Still, sad to not see one with Hanners being turned into a cyborg lesbian.  :-P

So, I'm guessing that is the last we'll see of Steve's girlfriend. I am sort of glad she is out, reminded me too much of Faye's therapist and Sven's assistant.

Superkid11

• Obscure cultural reference
  • New teeth!
« Reply #52 on: 02 Mar 2009, 20:26 »

Cool strip, QC needs more of the wow-random that this is. Still, sad to not see one with Hanners being turned into a cyborg lesbian.  :-P

So, I'm guessing that is the last we'll see of Steve's girlfriend. I am sort of glad she is out, reminded me too much of Faye's therapist and Sven's assistant.
Yes they all seem to have elevated melanin levels...  :-D

cgarci21

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Shagtastic
« Reply #53 on: 02 Mar 2009, 20:28 »

^^ yup, I think we had the ethnic girl discussion already.
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #54 on: 02 Mar 2009, 21:08 »

Yes they all seem to have elevated melanin levels...  :-D

Well, to be fair, they all had the same (non-existant) personalities.  I mean, as a total they amount to less than 100 strips.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #55 on: 02 Mar 2009, 21:18 »

Well, now we know just who the new Triple X is.  :D  ;)

Either that, or Steve was on the Absenthe again.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BillionSix

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #56 on: 02 Mar 2009, 21:25 »

I for one hope to see more of the eastern European spy/dominatrix chick.  There is just something about that accent...

Tortura? Of course we will see her again! I mean, Steve obviously escaped by seducing her and convincing her to betray her masters and free him, and is now obsessed with him, as he is the only man who has ever satisfied her, and she desires nothing more than to be his desperate love slave!
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #57 on: 02 Mar 2009, 21:31 »

I'm not sure why but for some reason this comic all of a sudden just got a hundred thousand million billion trillion times better.

Just can't quite put my finger on it.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2009, 21:38 by fifthfiend »

Fen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Pregrinating flâneur
    • Blog!
« Reply #58 on: 02 Mar 2009, 22:00 »

boobs.

Pocchama

« Reply #59 on: 02 Mar 2009, 22:17 »

Does Steve remind anyone else of Chris Redfield in this strip?

Or maybe I'm just too excited at the upcoming RE5 and the return of Steve. Simultaneously.

moshimoshi_haihai

« Reply #60 on: 02 Mar 2009, 22:24 »

mentioned so much earlier that i can't quote it:
the only two characters I disagree with being on the "permanent exit" list are Argument guy (Angus) and Wil.
Why wouldn't Wil come back? He and Pen are destined for each other. duh.
I believe Jeph is saving Angus for jusssst the right moment... perhaps right now, when Faye is straight out of that heartbreak.

0kamisama

• Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #61 on: 02 Mar 2009, 22:45 »

I'm not sure why but for some reason this comic all of a sudden just got a hundred thousand million billion trillion times better.

I for one can put more than just a finger on it... maybe even a tongue!  hurr hurrr!  :wink:
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #62 on: 02 Mar 2009, 22:52 »

What's awesome-est to me is that there's a small possibility this won't be the only time this comes up. I mean, the strip is funny as a gag on where Steve has been all this time, but a while back I thought that Steve had been recruited into a secret agency like that and it was involved in this massive conspiracy in the QC world, an integral part of which is the death of Faye's dad.

.......... so yeah. :p

But if not, it was still awesome.

Al la Hartigan?
He killed himself to protect his daughter from his enemies. Naturally he couldn't tell her, that would be defying to purpose.

AnkhWL

• Plantmonster
« Reply #63 on: 02 Mar 2009, 23:16 »

Hm. I was wondering whether Steve was telling the truth in the first panel (from yesterday). Guess he was.

That really, really sucks though. If I'm understanding the story right. The chick who left Steve had a previous boyfriend, and the relationship went awry, right? And then there was some anxiousness on whether she'd go back to him (such a bad freaking idea). Either way, shitty deals.

I'd try to go looking for the strips..  but I think I'd get lost and never return.

HappyGrar

• Plantmonster
  • Vulcan Boob Squish'd
« Reply #64 on: 02 Mar 2009, 23:34 »

I was thinking about the supporting characters who will probably come around again
    • Agent Owsly (Whatever his name is. I think he's Steve's recruiter)

His name was Alan Turing, and I believe Dora went to school with him (early comic, if anyone's inclined to look). Rather an interesting name, eh?[/list]
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2009, 23:38 by HappyGrar »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 02 Mar 2009, 23:38 »

Start with 893 for the Meena/Dave story.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #66 on: 02 Mar 2009, 23:40 »

Dora and Alan Turing went to St. Agnes's High School together: strip 151.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

D

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #67 on: 02 Mar 2009, 23:40 »

Marten's enthusiasm over his relationship with Dora is overwhelming. I don't care how long they've been together, it should at least make him smile.

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #68 on: 02 Mar 2009, 23:50 »

Does Steve's head appear large to anyone else?  :-o
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #69 on: 02 Mar 2009, 23:53 »

Marten's enthusiasm over his relationship with Dora is overwhelming. I don't care how long they've been together, it should at least make him smile.
Oh yes he should totally go "ah poor guy you lost your love to some other guy and they are happily married, but I am totally in a happy relationship and make the big dance whenever someone asks me about it".

Would make feel Steve totally better.

Definitely.
Carpe Diem

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #70 on: 02 Mar 2009, 23:59 »

He may yet, Mr. Frodo. But Wil's new pals in that last photo didn't make his chances look great.

As for Meena and Dave, that's exactly what I would have expected from them. Nor would I be surprised if Meena called the engagement off next week. She seems batshit crazy to me. It may be Dave proposed in order to 'save' Steve from her.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Alphalpha

« Reply #71 on: 03 Mar 2009, 00:07 »

Tortura? Of course we will see her again! I mean, Steve obviously escaped by seducing her and convincing her to betray her masters and free him, and is now obsessed with him, as he is the only man who has ever satisfied her, and she desires nothing more than to be his desperate love slave!
This.
That would be an amazing little story arc.

Now we just have to ask ourselves whether Marten is less than enthusiastic about his relationship for Steve's sake, or if he's doing it unconsciously and deep down doesn't have that much enthusiasm for it any more.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #72 on: 03 Mar 2009, 00:13 »

This.
That would be an amazing little story arc.

Now we just have to ask ourselves whether Marten is less than enthusiastic about his relationship for Steve's sake, or if he's doing it unconsciously and deep down doesn't have that much enthusiasm for it any more.

Alternate answer: he's doing it because he's unconsciously jealous of Steve's relationship with Tortura.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #73 on: 03 Mar 2009, 00:25 »

I see what you mean in the first panel, but only when I looked for it.

In the second panel, the guy in the doorway is tailing Steve. Steve knows this.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Devlinvl

« Reply #74 on: 03 Mar 2009, 01:53 »

I see what you mean in the first panel, but only when I looked for it.

In the second panel, the guy in the doorway is tailing Steve. Steve knows this.
Indeed. Steve will confront the guy at an appropriate time and place.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #75 on: 03 Mar 2009, 01:57 »

It's perspective  - advanced art and all that.  Possibly a tad overdone this time, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #76 on: 03 Mar 2009, 02:40 »

He may yet, Mr. Frodo. But Wil's new pals in that last photo didn't make his chances look great.

As for Meena and Dave, that's exactly what I would have expected from them. Nor would I be surprised if Meena called the engagement off next week. She seems batshit crazy to me. It may be Dave proposed in order to 'save' Steve from her.
Unless he was faking being nice or underwent a radical personality change, I'm going to agree. Dave just doesn't seem like someone who would do that.
Not that we really got a chance to know him...
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Zingoleb

« Reply #77 on: 03 Mar 2009, 04:17 »

Am I the only one who looked at the last panel of 1351 and went, "Marten...nose, wtf?"

Mallli_kite

• Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #78 on: 03 Mar 2009, 06:25 »

Hm, Steve reveals  a  truth -- soap operas are much better when one is drunk.  At least, the constant repeat of plot points seems like a good idea.

With such a sizable cast, it can't be easy to give everyone time while still running story arcs, and some characters are more interesting/story worthy than others.  I wonder if Jeph keeps a notebook with characters and their backstories, or if he just refers to old strips?

And I hope Amir doesn't join the ranks of Missing, Presumed Written Out characters. I liked his "creepy older guy at concerts" thing.  Also -- arm hair!  That made him unique.

The longer lasting characters seem to be the most complex (d'uh) which gives them a lot more options.  While I liked Wil, he did seem to be rather one dimensional as "Sensitive Poetry Nerd".  No backstory evident.

I'm wondering if Raven will vanish, too, for that same reason.  She had a great gag built into her, but a lack of complexity and no backstory.

It's fun to analyze, but I am so sleep deprived right now...
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

Zingoleb

« Reply #79 on: 03 Mar 2009, 07:01 »

Wil also hasn't been given a whole lot of time to show himself off.

In the same amount of time, Sven would be nothing more than  "Womanizing Jerk," Marten as "Skinny Indie Guy," and Faye as "Abusive Bitch". If Wil were to be around more I think that he'd be more fleshed out.

SexRaptor

« Reply #80 on: 03 Mar 2009, 07:06 »

I think it's pretty obvious the way it's been written lately he's NOT as enthused as he should be about the relationship. But maybe that's just me.

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
  • Blew out the Candles!
« Reply #81 on: 03 Mar 2009, 08:36 »

Feels great to have a couple of strips in a row with Marten and Steve. Repeating others but the comic really felt like it was missing male friendships.

On a side note, do we know what Steve's job was/is?

moshimoshi_haihai

« Reply #82 on: 03 Mar 2009, 08:59 »

Wil also hasn't been given a whole lot of time to show himself off.

In the same amount of time, Sven would be nothing more than  "Womanizing Jerk," Marten as "Skinny Indie Guy," and Faye as "Abusive Bitch". If Wil were to be around more I think that he'd be more fleshed out.

This is a good point. Though, I'd forgotten about those damned pictures...I really hope Wil survives.
But if he does then he will certainly have more to show for than the "Hopeless Poet" stereotype.

Should we take any of the polls seriously? There was mention of Wil's severed ear appearing in an envelope in Pen's mailbox. Maybe it's code for something...

Zingoleb

« Reply #83 on: 03 Mar 2009, 09:01 »

If we take the poll seriously than Hannelore will be a cyborg that doesn't have any way to import.

Kicking ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #84 on: 03 Mar 2009, 09:09 »

Guess I missed that one about Dave and Meena...maybe.

I've done many things drunk, but never watched soap-operas. I do admit to Watching DOL though, way back when, to see exactly how many Roman Bradys they could stuff onto the show at one time. But, if we postulate the Bianchis are QC's Bradys, Faye would at least have had to sleep with Sven, Dora, and probably Mr. Bianchi to become parallel. And there's got to be a twin of one of the main characters lurking out there. DOL is (or was) built around the idea that everyone in the world has a long-lost, crazed twin sibling who's out to destroy them. You know the twin's crazy because he/she/it actually wants to take over the character in question's life, possibly for a chance to sleep with one of the Bradys.

I can see the DOL writer's bullpen now. On the wall: Stuck? Bring out the twin!
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #85 on: 03 Mar 2009, 10:02 »

What is this daytime TV thing you speak of?

I've heard rumours that there are channels that are not Teletoon or YTV that play programs prior to 6PM, but I haven't seen them in at least 9 years....

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #86 on: 03 Mar 2009, 10:17 »

I for one hope to see more of the eastern European spy/dominatrix chick.  There is just something about that accent...

That could be a very interesting arc.  "Creepy she-bitch stalker invades Steve's life from a time before, for hot monkey mattress dancing."

I honestly don't think Jeph would do that, though.  Not that I don't think he could, but I do think it would take more time and effort than he's willing to sacrifice.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #87 on: 03 Mar 2009, 10:20 »

Wil returns 6 QC-months later (so that's probably like 4 or 5 normal years) and everyone asks what he's been up to. It cuts to a flashback of him doing awesome stuff and the strip ends with him saying "not much"

There is no sin except stupidity

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #88 on: 03 Mar 2009, 11:04 »

Wil returns 6 QC-months later (so that's probably like 4 or 5 normal years) and everyone asks what he's been up to. It cuts to a flashback of him doing awesome stuff and the strip ends with him saying "not much"

He turns out to be a previously-only-seen-as-a-silhouette rival of Steve's!  Cue epic battle in CoD involving battle spatulas, broadswords, and the return of Pintsize's laser!
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2009, 11:23 by The Joker »
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

Queen Of Frizz

« Reply #89 on: 03 Mar 2009, 11:37 »

I've done many things drunk, but never watched soap-operas. I do admit to Watching DOL though, way back when, to see exactly how many Roman Bradys they could stuff onto the show at one time. But, if we postulate the Bianchis are QC's Bradys, Faye would at least have had to sleep with Sven, Dora, and probably Mr. Bianchi to become parallel. And there's got to be a twin of one of the main characters lurking out there. DOL is (or was) built around the idea that everyone in the world has a long-lost, crazed twin sibling who's out to destroy them. You know the twin's crazy because he/she/it actually wants to take over the character in question's life, possibly for a chance to sleep with one of the Bradys.

Okay, I'm a pretty huge fan of Days, and the sibling does not have to be a twin.
You're long lost evil sibling can be younger than you, as with Max's new younger sister Melanie and Stefano DiMera's new younger brother John Black.

Actually, the show could work out with the QC cast for some interesting results.
Next week Dora will be pregnant with Marten's baby only to find that he's really her half brother!

Shakleton

• Not quite a lurker
  • Honestly, I'm getting creeped out here!
« Reply #90 on: 03 Mar 2009, 11:59 »

Hells yes. I looked at the comic and the first thing I thought was: "Wow. Huge head is huuuuge!"
Mmmmm... I love the smell of lawsuit in teh morning.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #91 on: 03 Mar 2009, 12:47 »

Huge head is huuuuge!

Oh, dear god

There's "moar" of that to come "nao" I bet?

On another topic, daytime soaps are amazingly entertaining. I find it amazing, all those wacky things they come up with
There is no sin except stupidity

Mallli_kite

• Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #92 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:38 »

I haven't willingly watching a daytime soap in...well, Reagan was still president.   Right after classes, zooming home to get the Oreos and Popcorn in time for Guiding Light when it was all about mental illness and secret rooms in the scary ol' mysterious house.  After that, Voltron, Star Trek, and M*A*S*H reruns.

Those were the days.
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

SleeperCylon

« Reply #93 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:52 »

Soaps are better on mute.  Then you get to see the hilarious exaggerated emotion and make up your own plot.

Good to see a lapsed character make a comeback.  Although I'm never a fan of the 'Big jock who try to eff anything that moves and think it's unmanly not to think like they do' characters, if more depth can be added to his character it'd be nice to have another male in the picture.

sieckanddestroy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #94 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:59 »

Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach or Rorschach pretending to be me?

Manix

« Reply #95 on: 03 Mar 2009, 14:31 »

This whole thing with Steve makes me realize something. I miss Communists. Not Communism mind you, but those wacky evil communists. Action/spy movies just aren't the same anymore. America no longer has a real evil enemy. Oh sure there's the muslims, but they can't hold a candle to the communists (crashing planes into the towers! amateurs! A really evil person would have planted a bomb under the towers, and then held hostages), plus, what's more provocative? A lustfully beautiful Nastasha, or a covered-in-a-concealing-robe muslim woman? and which one is more likely to torture you for information? the Nastasha? or the muslim? (the Nastasha of course! The other is too busy birthing babies, and making all black body coverings.)

moshimoshi_haihai

« Reply #96 on: 03 Mar 2009, 14:35 »

Good to see a lapsed character make a comeback.  Although I'm never a fan of the 'Big jock who try to eff anything that moves and think it's unmanly not to think like they do' characters, if more depth can be added to his character it'd be nice to have another male in the picture.

are you speaking of Steve? Because he doesn't have sexual intercourse with just anyone, that's Sven. And being friends with Marten is in itself proof that he does not have that mind frame at all. I think your analyzation of Steve may be a bit askew.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #97 on: 03 Mar 2009, 14:42 »

If we take the poll seriously than Hannelore will be a cyborg that doesn't have any way to import.

Kicking ass.

Was he all out of bubblegum?
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Goddess

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #98 on: 03 Mar 2009, 15:05 »

I like how Jeph only uses the characters relevant to a story line. People like Natasha, Sara etc are people that fade in and out of everyday life. I might see someone every day for months and then suddenly never see them again because they were dating on of my friends, or because they faded out, got a new job etc.

I like that he lends realism to relationships.

In saying that. New Steve comics = awesome

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #99 on: 03 Mar 2009, 15:11 »

Learn now the pattern of Steve:
A) Pick up girl
B) Have a date. If fail, return to A
C) Try to extend relationship. If fail, return to A
D) Have relationship; much sex, cute sex dance, happy happy
E) Somehow relationship begins to oscillate out of control
F) Run, screaming
G) Get loaded on booze and alter hair in some fashion (grow beard, shave pubes, you name it)
H) Try to recover relationship. Limps on for a while, then epic fail
I) Repeat step G, then move back to A

Since Steve freaked out when Ellen started talking marriage, I'm guessing this is destined to go on for a while. In between times, of course, he can work for USDKYA. Looking at the above, it's easy to see why Turing (the spook) recruited Steve. Turing's right: no one would believe it. I know I don't. It is the sort of thing you might dream, though, if you watched '80's-90's DOOL. The soap probably hasn't changed much.

Sven, otoh, seems to follow this plan:
A) Pick up girl
B) Much sex, happy happy
C) Return to A
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2009, 16:00 by raoullefere »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up