THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 00:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So... Lord of The Rings Online anyone?  (Read 4953 times)

Neadric

So... Lord of The Rings Online anyone?
« on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:34 »

Hey all, i'm pretty new to the forums but i figured i'd start up a topic anyways :D

i've been reading into LOTRO a good bit lately and it really looks like a good MMO with some interesting feature choices. for example there really is no "pure caster" class, which makes sence for a middle earth based game IMO because Wizards are kinda few and far between in that world.

the other thing that i found interesting is the traits system they got goin, it's kinda like the system Guild wars has exept it doesnt require to choose which skills you take with you to combat but little bonuses like +3 vs undead or something. you can only carry a limited ammount of each type of trait, i know there are 4 types but i forget the names :P

Also the graphics seem pretty darn good compared to some of the other MMOs comin out, but then again this is Turbine we're talkin about and their track record isn't the best *cough* DDO, Asheron's Call 2 *cough*

any thoughts about this game, and any experiences from anyone in the beta?

the_tard

Re: So... Lord of The Rings Online anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2007, 18:44 »

Yeah, I've played it. My cousin is a really nice guy, but he keeps trying to addict me to MMO's. He even opened a Lineage II account for me and was willing to pay for it, but I'm just not an MMO person, I guess. One thing I noticed playing the beta of LOTRO was that it didn't bore me straight away or overload me with an assload of completely-unnecessary-for-20-more-levels GUI. Also, they did a very good job on the PVP. It is also a really solid and stable game considering it was a closed beta. All in al, it's a good game, I guess, but I'm just not an MMO person, especially after I bought STALKER a few days ago.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2007, 22:39 »

I was in the beta for about a month before I got bored.  All MMOs fall victim to the same thing, counting on the fact that the player will keep paying the fees to play quests that are relatively boring, and in return, getting X virtual item.  The only MMO that holds my interest is Age of Conan, because the quests actually look fun.  Decapitations, nudity, and drunken brawling.  City-building and fort-sieging.  On top of normal collection quests and the like (except that even these can be interesting.  There's one out there that requires you to bring back half of someone's body, instead of 45 wolf pelts)
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

J_Saunders

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2007, 00:35 »

As a recovering WoW-aholic, I feel I must warn you about the dangers of MMOs. The l33t speak and incoherent insults from 10 year olds directly attack the social centers of your brain. I managed to get out before the burning crusade, but I will still spend many years in social rehab. If you cannot resist the lure, atleast tell your friends and family that you will be leaving them to play with Frodo in advance.

In all seriousness, if you have the free time, MMOs are fun. The lord of the rings one looks a little bland to me, though. Warhammer online looks promising due to it's PvP aspects, though. And decapitations, nudity, and drunken brawling are excellent selling points for Conan! I will look into that.

Neadric

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2007, 07:04 »

i've played pretty much every mmo that has come out hehe so i know about the social depravity when a really good one comes out, i tend to try every new one that comes out but only been a few that have ever held my interest like Asheron's Call 1 , Dark Age Of Camelot, and WoW. i just quit wow as well 3 weeks ago so we'll see how this goes i have the beta client installed at home and i'm just waiting for work to end and go try it out. i don't really mind the semi bland quests my self, i play the game usually for the community. we'll see how this goes tonight

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2007, 20:45 »

There's nothing wrong with relying on community to carry a game, but it's just something that doesn't cut it for me.  Which is probably why even if I could get Second Life to work on my computer, I wouldn't like it.  If it doesn't PLAY fun, then I won't have fun.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Neadric

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2007, 11:01 »

makes sence to me, the closed beta is over so i gotta wait for open beta to start which is tommorow, so we'll see

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2007, 21:19 »

The only reason I want this game is to make a macro for each instrument to play the entire of Aerodynamic by Daft Punk. I need help with this.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

kabukiman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2009, 01:58 »

I'm playing it (I'm level 35). The people in there is nice and very friendly to newcomers. And the quests from the shire are fun (collecting receipts to make a pie, helping a hobbit dating another hobitt).

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2009, 02:50 »

I had a hard time enjoying Conan in large part because of all the irritating people who were in there congratulating eachother and patting themselves on the back for not playing WoW and calling other MMOs kiddy games constantly. Hey, if you like tits and decapitations, that's completely fine with me; I like the Conan mythos and it just wouldn't be the same with out busty wenches, booze and beating rampaging Ape-gods to death with your bare hands. That said, it's not something people should be getting on a damn high horse over.  It makes wish we could come up with another phrase than "mature" for games that happen to feature gore and skimpy outfits, because to me mature implies thematic depth, which isn't really something that's present in many games period, much less MMORPGers.* For example, it kills me to this day when some nimrod describes Prince of Persia: Warrior Within as being more "mature" than PoP: Sands of Time** when the big addition to the series happened to be goofy bikinis, worse writing and Godsmack.

*Don't mind me, I like MMORPGere. I probably would have liked Conan more had I given a shit about PvP and had a nicer PC to run it on. Plus, I'm sure the Johnny-come-lately crowd that just bitches constantly between new releases have probably left the game by now; I certainly don't think Conan inherently draws a worse crowd, I just think that there's a certain segment of the MMORPG market which basically moves from game to game like whiney, insufferable locusts.

**Yes, such conversations actually happen. My brother will back me up on this.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:39 »

Isn't AoC dead and buried?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

kabukiman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:45 »

No, they close some servers to join more players. I never played it, but a friend of mine told me it was full of bugs and the quest were quite anoying.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2009, 06:04 »

Yeah all the people I know who play mmos seriously moved on really quick, I think it was to Pirates of the Burning Sea. They're all playing WAR now.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

PapaFrita

« Reply #13 on: 05 Mar 2009, 19:23 »

I'm having a great time with LOTRO. The quests and storyline are very well written and make the journey to the top more engaging. If you're worried about annoying 10-year-olds named Geemli and Aragron, the game deftly avoided this by having no connection to the Peter Jackson movies whatsoever. I generally find the players to be very mature (and in my server's case, Australian).
Pages: [1]   Go Up