THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 17:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, silkscreening  (Read 3175 times)

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
So, silkscreening
« on: 03 Mar 2009, 02:47 »

Given the ever dwindling number of art students at my uni (theres maybe 10 of us with a huge building all to ourselves) the print room person has offered to teach those of us who dont know how to, how to silkscreen. theres only a poster up about it, and I haven't been able to find her to ask about it though.

So i ask you. What do i need to silkscreen, and by what to i need, i mean, im asked to supply a picture that will work with easily because im new to it. having no real idea how this works, i ask of you mighty art forumeers, what kind of picture should i have prepared? something already brought down to 2 colours? should i make it the way i would if i were say, making a stencil to spray with?

Also, show me the fruits of your silkscreening love.

(I could've searched, yes, but this board moves rather slow, and when i went to mention it in that shirts thread, it warned me of the age of the thread.)

idonthaveorgans

• Not quite a lurker
    • twistedlittledreams
Re: So, silkscreening
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2009, 03:54 »

You need an all black image printed on a transparent acetate sheet, or for a multicoloured image one sheet for each colour. And i suggest lots of sheets of card. I suggest having a fairly strong image, try to avoid things with thin lines, it does work but it messes up more from my experiance, I've had to wash and re-expose the silkscreens with the image again to get it right.  Maybe cos i'm rubbish i dunno.
I imagine the print studio would provide the rest.

It's a lot of fun, being able to do silkscreening/printmaking, esp if you have a proper studio to do it in.  I wish I could have a place to do it again.

this is an image i did one in printmaking(sorry i can't seem to find a bigger version of it, i no longer have the large one directly linked on my website, and i can't use the web archive site to find it as where i am is blocking proxies)

also the one in my art thread i did in silkscreening to.

« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2009, 04:02 by idonthaveorgans »
Pages: [1]   Go Up