THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 11:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News today, local coffee shop outlasts mega-  (Read 4213 times)

Keebbles

• Emoticontraindication

giant Starbucks...
Not cause of success, but cause of corporate restructuring and cost savings.
This was in a prime location downtown in a small town.
A woman who started a coffee shop right across the street managed to stay alive through all the corporate competition and crap that came her way to close up.
She persisted and is still there and now is scooping up all the business herself that the loss of the local starbucks caused.
Her business has basically doubled almost every week since. (saw this piece on CNN or Fox News early this morning, don't watch the talking heads, but I did look up at the piece when the owner was talking- and yes, I was listening.)

Now I wonder does the Coffee shop in QC have to deal with a local Starbucks equivalent too?
If so, I'm betting even in a small NE town like theirs, that it would be closed to save money sooner than later making it seem like they WON!

I'd love to see the cafe's reaction to Winning the caffeine wars and the reaction of coffee adicts to having to go back to get a serving of Faye w/their coffee after discovering the mega-chain coffee shop is now closed.

Probably w/o warning.

Probably with a sign telling them to go to the next town over or to the mall where their next closest shop is located for "Name" brand "Fancyschmancy" named coffee.
Sign probably defaced by an unknown subject (cough) indicating that the "Abuse" coffee shop is still open and w/in walking distance too.

Would we discover that secretly the girls all sneak coffee from the "Named" chain occassionally and now are in a predicament?

How would they handle all of the new business? Would they find and rehire the blond girl who supposedly became Pizza Girl? (the one that disappeared, from the strip that is.)

What kind of power could they now wield by being one of the few coffee shops downtown to feed the caffeine addicts...especially those in Town Hall (I could see a lacky being sent down to pick up an order and sighing while he explains- yes he knows they aren't starbucks, but the mayor and city council refuse to acknowledge that fact (denial) so please make them something special so they can continue to think they are special too. And of course the malicious glint the girls would get in their eyes at that opportunity. Especially if City Council/Mayor have in past screwed w/them or rezoned taxes in favor of Starbucks over real small businesses in town...

What other problems and hijinx might occur? You know the recession is gonna hit their town eventually (maybe even putting beggars, musicicians and hobos out of work as real folks squat on their begging spots err...business locations.)

Even w/recession hitting if real life is reflected, the everywhere coffee shops of Starbucks would recede especially in small towns like that. (They seem to be the biggest hit since Jan-Feb time period during restructuring of Starbucks assets and employees.)

What do you think will change in the small tourist town of QC due to the recession?
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Free 2 Play! No D/L! Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN The Awesome Online Anime Spoof!

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
Re: In the News today, local coffee shop outlasts mega-
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2009, 10:07 »

Absolutely nothing.  It is a comic strip.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2009, 10:48 »

How would they handle all of the new business? Would they find and rehire the blond girl who supposedly became Pizza Girl? (the one that disappeared, from the strip that is.)

Um, she was in the comic just last week.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:31 »

Confusion with Sara, perhaps?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:38 »

And you can't rehire someone who's been eaten by an allosaurus.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2009, 12:31 »

You CAN, it's just really gross and they're not that effective at their job anymore.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

moshimoshi_haihai

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2009, 19:40 »

right, pizza girl is supposedly Penelope, not Sara. Keebles was thinking of Sara and Random832 was thinking of Penelope.

As for this hypothetical conspiracy....
what?
First of all, i doubt that the girls steal from Starbucks. I always imagined them using some sort of obscure coffee that is actually great. Kinda like the coffee they serve at the local coffee shop, Donkey, in Athens, Ohio. Donkey has been awarded with "Best Coffee Shop in Ohio" before.

Second of all, the girls, namely Dora, would probably not be concerned with winning or losing to the competition. especially seeing as they hit it fairly big with the great review and the small town Coffee of Doom is located seems to appreciate the service there. It's an Ed Debevic's concept that some towns and some people just seem to get.

So yea, they have a lot of business and they seem to be doing fine. And i seriously doubt this is anything Jeph would consider because as stated before...it's a comic strip.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2009, 19:48 »

Would we discover that secretly the girls all sneak coffee from the "Named" chain occassionally and now are in a predicament?
Guest strip 671 played with the idea that Marten was secretly going to Starbuck's.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2009, 01:28 »

It could be fun if a chain-store behemoth opened on the same street and started to soak up their business, so Dora asks Hannelore for some devious semi-legal business advice from her mother - or Mrs. Ellicott-Chatham makes a few calls and has the chain store condemned and the manager tarred and feathered. It could happen.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2009, 05:18 »

First of all, i doubt that the girls steal from Starbucks. I always imagined them using some sort of obscure coffee that is actually great.

Huh? What was suggested was that they _drink_ coffee from *$ (sneaking it because it would be bad for business to be seen preferring to drink coffee other than their own), not that they steal it and sell it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:30 »

Queequegs will take over Starbucks. Any time now...
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

moshimoshi_haihai

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2009, 12:55 »

ah, i misunderstood. which might have something to do with why the idea seemed particularly absurd to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up