Which laptop bag should I get?

BBP bag
- 8 (61.5%)
timbuk2 bag
- 5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: 09 Mar 2009, 13:13

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Between these two....  (Read 2509 times)

lyra

• Plantmonster
  • magically delicious
Between these two....
« on: 04 Mar 2009, 12:13 »

I am torn between the BBP hybrid hampton and the timbuk2 laptop messenger.

The BBP bag is:
- convertable
- more comfortable
- a good color choice (see below)
- expensive ($85)

The timbuk2 bag is:
- cheaper ($55)
- not as good a color (for the lowest price, I'd have to get some weird color arrangement; I could get an all black bag but I don't want to pay >$100)
- reliable: I've owned one of these before, but I sold it to make some $$

What are your thoughts on the two? Also, you're welcome to suggest a different laptop bag (as long as it's water resistant and fits a 14" laptop), but please vote for one of the two above. Unless you make a seriously convincing argument for the 3rd party bag, I'm probably going to get one of these.

Thanks for your input!
                  /
              :-D
()

ducks!!!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: Between these two....
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2009, 12:45 »

I guess the BBP bag. It's convertable, whatever the balls that means (but that is synonymous with 'versatile' and that is always nice), and it is comfy, and it is pretty.

I know nothing about your tastes, though, and judging by your postcount, you must be new enough to where not many of us do just yet. I'd like to know you better before I can give any good advice on this sort of thing, and I suspect that'll be the sentiment among most of the other forumites. Seems like you're already set on the BBP bag anyway.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Wolf

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2 on: 04 Mar 2009, 13:04 »

I have a Timbuk2 laptop backpack and it has been great.  A friend of mine always buys there messenger bags and loves them. so I guess my vote is for the Timbuk2
You've been a great audience. Have a wonderful night.

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
  • For I am a happy, happy pokemon!
« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar 2009, 13:04 »

Timbuk2's the one you get to pick your own colours with right? Then go with that.
Quote from: Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said
"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2009, 14:48 »

Heeeeeeey BBP's bags are McAfee tested virus free!

I say that one.

Oh, Lord I hope they realize I can't be serious.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2009, 14:52 »

To pick your own colors, you need to order a custom bag.  They are quite a bit more expensive than the "off the rack" bags, mainly because the workers who make them are in America and have to get paid decently.

Timbuk2 bags, at least the San Francisco made ones, are insanely sturdy.  I use the extra small messenger bag as a purse, and it got stolen once.  It was found a few weeks later on a large bridge.  It was, if anything, a little cleaner having been through a couple of downpours. 

The company, sadly, did lose some of my trust when they moved manufacturing overseas.  They were very outspoken about being "Made in San Francisco," and were not so very outspoken when they became more popular and could go in search of cheaper labor.  They have a somewhat defensive page on their site about that decision, and frankly, it doesn't sit well with me.  Being a domestic company with domestic workers was how they built loyalty in the first place. 

tl:dr, they like, totally sold out.

Edit to add that <a href="http://bbpbags.com/expandit.html'>The BBP expandable messenger[/url] looks completely awesome and I wish I had one.  The backpack thing seems pretty weird to me.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2009, 14:57 by Darkbluerabbit »

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
  • For I am a happy, happy pokemon!
« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2009, 14:56 »

Oh man, capitalism!
Quote from: Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said
"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2009, 15:33 »

I assumed this thread was something more along the lines of choosing between two terrible choices. I'm very disappointed.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

lyra

• Plantmonster
  • magically delicious
« Reply #8 on: 04 Mar 2009, 16:06 »

I assumed this thread was something more along the lines of choosing between two terrible choices. I'm very disappointed.

This IS the most terrible choice of my life!

I guess the BBP bag. It's convertable, whatever the balls that means (but that is synonymous with 'versatile' and that is always nice), and it is comfy, and it is pretty.

I know nothing about your tastes, though, and judging by your postcount, you must be new enough to where not many of us do just yet. I'd like to know you better before I can give any good advice on this sort of thing, and I suspect that'll be the sentiment among most of the other forumites. Seems like you're already set on the BBP bag anyway.

I like them both! They are both my kind of bag. Convertible meant, it goes from being a backpack to a messenger bag. I like the look of messenger bags, but being somewhat fortunate in the boob area, messenger bags aren't always the greatest, especially if I had to run somewhere with it. But I don't usually have the need or urge to run...ever.

and @Darkbluerabbit - I didn't know they moved production overseas? I was reading the blog and it seemed like they still made the bags here...?
()

ducks!!!

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #9 on: 04 Mar 2009, 16:50 »

This is a thread for the computer subforum?  I guess?
...and that's why I eat bugs.

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #10 on: 04 Mar 2009, 20:57 »

I got a nike Epic for my laptop like 3-4 years ago, is pretty sweet. Outlasted the laptop...
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #11 on: 05 Mar 2009, 04:18 »

The BBP is awesome. If you think that you'll want to be able to carry it both as a messenger and a backpack, go for it. If you'll just be using it as a messenger bag anyways, get the Timbuk2.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

lyra

• Plantmonster
  • magically delicious
« Reply #12 on: 05 Mar 2009, 22:23 »

Wohoo thanks people for commenting/voting! I'll make a decision later tonight or tomorrow (test tomorrow, so I should be focusing on that...)
()

ducks!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up