THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hangovers!  (Read 12817 times)

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
Re: Hangovers!
« Reply #50 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:43 »

THINGS I HAVE TRIED THAT WORK

* greasy food
* coffee
* sleep
* pot

THINGS I HAVE TRIED THAT DO NOT WORK (for me)

* aspirin
* breathing fresh air
* more alcohol
* yelling at the hangover really loudly (doesn't work at all)

The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #51 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:54 »

I don't know about all this greasy food business, but then again I've only ever had 1 hangover and it was due to several things: far too much vodka, not eating before, and not drinking any water. But the hangover the day after was worth the day before, so I'm okay with that. I will stick to eating a good meal and drinking water. I usually am mostly sober by the time I go to sleep anyways.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #52 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:55 »

The last time I had a hangover, my friend dragged me to some weird-ass flea market in Vermont.

I guess eating an apple and haggling with a crazy Russian guy helped. Cos I felt better after that.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #53 on: 12 Mar 2009, 06:59 »

But we can't ALL have a haggling russian person around all the time ...
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #54 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:03 »

I think the apple helped more than the Russian guy, anyway.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #55 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:05 »

I too would like to know how to negate the consequences of my own actions.

by this logic I have to assume that you never use contraception because that would defeat the same natural justice that you seem to think causes people to suffer hangovers after a night out.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #56 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:05 »

You almost had the perfect excuse to re-name a russian mail order bride site to 'exotic hangover cures'.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #57 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:08 »

Oh no, not the contraceptives.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #58 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:18 »

by this logic I have to assume that you never use contraception because that would defeat the same natural justice that you seem to think causes people to suffer hangovers after a night out.

Of course the consequences of spending a day in bed moaning and feeling crappy is not really comparable to say the act of bringing another life into the world and having to care for it. A child is a permanent fixture in the future from that point on while a hangover is a mild inconvenience. Considering the amount of sheer alcohol abuse that happens in the world a hangover now and again can be good for people who just don't know how to control themselves.

Speaking as a professional drunk handler and an unrepentant drunk I can attest to the fact that if a simple convenient hangover cure were ever invented, binge drinking would spike and we'd see the problems associated with it spread rampantly.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2009, 07:28 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #59 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:34 »

Honestly a pot/cup of tea is basically the best solution. It is easy as all hell to stumble into the kitchen and get the kettle boiling and it requires virtually no preperation or forward planning (who doesn't have tea bags, milk and (if you need it) sugar in their home? Hands down, America.) Plus you're getting a lovely water and caffeine injection combined with the calming properties of tea. Maybe put some street fighter on (assuming you're recovering with friends) and make a day of it.

In general I don't eat until late afternoon after a night of heavy drinking because I can't stomach it, but it is very important to eat when you feel able to.

Problem here is that Tea is incredibly acidic, and tends to make me feel sick even if I'm feeling good already and I drink it on an empty stomach. Empty stomach plus hangover? Inevitable misery. Not a good call.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #60 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:44 »

Of course the consequences of spending a day in bed moaning and feeling crappy is not really comparable to say the act of bringing another life into the world and having to care for it. A child is a permanent fixture in the future from that point on while a hangover is a mild inconvenience. Considering the amount of sheer alcohol abuse that happens in the world a hangover now and again can be good for people who just don't know how to control themselves.

Speaking as a professional drunk handler and an unrepentant drunk I can attest to the fact that if a simple convenient hangover cure were ever invented, binge drinking would spike and we'd see the problems associated with it spread rampantly.

You talk as if a hangover is some form of karma, the problem with that is that a hangover isn't punnishment for being a volient/stupid/bad drunk, it is only punishment for being drunk

But let's sail away from this topic before we end up in the trecherous waters of INTERNET ARGUMENT, I only raised the point because I took issue with the way Tommy worded his post
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #61 on: 12 Mar 2009, 07:46 »

THINGS I HAVE TRIED THAT DO NOT WORK (for me)
* more alcohol

Anytime someone tries to tell me that alcohol is a good cure for a hangover I tell them that they don't have a hangover, they have a bit of a headache and feel a bit ill. There is no way a person with an honest to goodness hangover can drink ANYTHING*. Even the smell of alcohol can set me off.

Back in the day when we got our basic spirits delivered in 20 L plastic containers, the first thing I'd have to do if I was on the opening shift was pour them into the big drums that led to the ETN dispensers in the bars. One morning I came into work with a fucking spectacular hangover and I pulled the lid off the drum and poured the booze into it and the smell of about 50 litres of scotch caused me to throw up violently, and only my years of trained vomit direction and control stopped me from completely ruining 9 grand worth of alcohol. Of course cleaning up vomit with a hangover in a small cramped enclosed space with low airflow was a nightmare in itself.

It would have been an incredible wastage report for that day.

*I am not sure if bloody marys count as an exception to this because I fucking hate tomato juice, shit makes me throw up just by itself
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2009, 07:54 by Hat »

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #62 on: 12 Mar 2009, 08:36 »

I can only productively contribute to a discussion when it is about hedonism.

thecabbler

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #63 on: 12 Mar 2009, 08:50 »

for the most part i think the best solution/s for me is

1)sleep
2)water or that G2 Gatorade stuff
3)more alcohol

although for a long time i'd go to 24 hour breakfast place to eat before i went to sleep and that fixed me right up

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #64 on: 12 Mar 2009, 10:16 »

Guys, vitamin water and gatorade are fucking great for pill come downs but I never even thought about using it for a hangover before, trip report pending next time I can set aside a night to get good and fucked up, will report back tuesday.
I don't get pill comedowns for some reason, but the fact that I have never been unable to pee has lead me to believe I have never had any really good pills or mdma even though the effects are quite enjoyable.

If I start tripping on that crazy green I smoked in college I just didn't eat anything but cookies for like 2 days and yeah, green gatorade.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #65 on: 12 Mar 2009, 10:24 »

Yeah!

Hangovers: gonna have one tomorrow!

Or not.

Nope, no hangover today!

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #66 on: 12 Mar 2009, 13:32 »

I wear my alcoholism like a badge.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #67 on: 12 Mar 2009, 14:22 »

Matt if we hang out Saturday night will you get drunk?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #68 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:07 »

My new cure for the hangover:

Stay up watching Braveheart and smoke all the cigarettes.
Sleep on the couch. Wake up every five minutes in an attempt to cool down/find a comfortable position. Repeat for five hours.
Get up without a hangover. Have cake for breakfast.

FOOLPROOF.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

clockworkjames

• Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #69 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:43 »

Yeah sleeping on a floor seems to help you not get a hangover because you never really sleep, you just doze on and off.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #70 on: 13 Mar 2009, 07:48 »

Milk Thistle Tablets.
Berrocca.
Something salty and easy to eat (CHIPS!)
Sleep
Drinking lot's of water.

I drunk the bar dry yesterday, I'm feeling pretty darn good and getting ready to do it
all over again tonight
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #71 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:49 »

Matt if we hang out Saturday night will you get drunk?

I may already be drunk
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #72 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:23 »

I find that sleep / lots of water / painkillers / light exercise in the fresh air are the only thing that help me. Or if I feel like being ill, I'll just be ill! Usually I feel better after. Thank god I basically stopped drinking and haven't had a hangover in 2 years. I pretty much have a 3-drink-limit now, and 3 drinks make me tipsy enough but don't give me a hangover.

What do you guys do against hangovers from pills? I lay in my bed yesterday, twitching around, unable to lie still and unable to sleep, so I had two tranquilizers which thankfully knocked me out. Now I'm giddy, light-headed and talk a lot of nonsense. Do I just have to wait it out and/or sleep it off or is there anything I can do? 

Stupid Human

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #73 on: 17 Mar 2009, 09:57 »

I am perhaps not the best person to be giving advice on this subject as I only have around 1-2 hangovers a year.  I know my limits very, very well and it is very rare that I cross them.  I can however say that I am an experienced drinker (I go through something around the area of 4-5 liters of whiskey a week).  Make sure you drink plenty of water BEFORE you get a hangover, usually before bedtime and while you are drinking.  That can be a hard thing to do if you don't have a level head.  If you've had enough drink that you feel sick (like you want to vomit) then having a drink in the morning will be a poor choice.  If you have a slight headache but feel fine otherwise some hair of the dog can do you good.  A good breakfast of filling food usually makes me feel like a new man.  Some eggs and toast help you to swallow the night before, and caffeine always helps.  I prefer a couple of cups of strong, black coffee.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #74 on: 18 Mar 2009, 18:58 »

McDonald's

Seriously, give me grease and I'm okay, also throwing up usually cures any hang over I have, but I usually can't.

I don't mind hangovers as much as I hate waking up drunk. Which I do SO MUCH
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Dunxco

• Plantmonster
  • Sir Grumpy
« Reply #75 on: 18 Mar 2009, 19:39 »

A big, fat fry-up. Bacon, eggs, sausages, the works. Artery-clogging grease beats the hell out of a drum 'n' bass club being stuck in my head all day.
Regards,

D.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #76 on: 18 Mar 2009, 20:11 »

NEW TIP:

Don't try to fill your stomach back up with food in the middle of drinking, it'll only give you constipation the next day.  Also, toking up while drinking is not a good idea, as it encourages that kind of behaviour.  I ordered a cheese steak and hot wings at a party once*, and I'll be damned if poopin' wasn't hard times the day after.

*  'once' was really 'last night'
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

nobo

« Reply #77 on: 18 Mar 2009, 20:41 »

i don't know, a nice messy cheesesteak-wings-beer dump in the morning is sometimes the only shining point in a hungover day
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #78 on: 18 Mar 2009, 20:46 »

I didn't get hungover, I just had constipation.  That was it.  No headache, no nausea, just a 30-minute long vacation to the magical land of Scrubbing Bubbles.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #79 on: 18 Mar 2009, 21:07 »

Something salty and easy to eat (CHIPS!)

Oh I forgot about this. I get cravings for salty things when I'm drunk. Seriously. I made my friends take me to the grocery so I could hunt down some Pringles* and I hugged the things until I got to the check out. And then I got back to the apt and ate the entire can and passed out.

Oh, 21st birthday, you were silly.

*This hunt also ended up with some other form of potato chips for my friend, ice cream, frozen pizza, soda, and some other junk. There wasn't anything left in the morning, so I guess my two friends ate all that.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #80 on: 20 Mar 2009, 00:47 »

I am thinking when you are already dehydrated from alcohol the last thing you should be doing is eating very salty foods.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #81 on: 20 Mar 2009, 01:13 »

NEW TIP:

Don't try to fill your stomach back up with food in the middle of drinking, it'll only give you constipation the next day.  Also, toking up while drinking is not a good idea, as it encourages that kind of behaviour.  I ordered a cheese steak and hot wings at a party once*, and I'll be damned if poopin' wasn't hard times the day after.

Oh dang I do that all the time but the morning after I think I'm usually too groggy and out of it to make that connection.  I am grateful for this tip but also think I will probably  do a bit of that in the future anyway.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #82 on: 20 Mar 2009, 01:15 »

I find the AGB pretty much pushes out anything you ate the night before no matter what it was.

Then again I take some epic hangover dumps.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #83 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:03 »

So hangovers are pretty lame, yes, but beer poops are wild.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #84 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:59 »

I'll be honest, I'm only in it for the booze shits anymore nowadays.

öde

« Reply #85 on: 26 Mar 2009, 19:07 »

Bring on tomorrow's hangover.

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #86 on: 18 Apr 2009, 09:27 »

the worst hangover i've ever had (which i later found out was mostly due to the half an extra-large bottle of jack daniels i'd downed, which i still can't remember doing  :roll:) involved the usual vomiting-into-the-nearby-sink-whilst-taking-a-beer-dump, but also had the disturbing extra symptom of temporary arms and hands paralysis.  in my hungover state, i decided the best fix for this was to move my torso in such a way that my now stiff hands nudged the hot tap on and filled the sink with really hot water, which i dunked my arms into for about five minutes until i got the feeling and ability to move back.  question:  WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ALL ABOUT!?

also, useful hangovery cure thing (although fuck knows where you'd get them from, as the only one i've ever seen is the one my flatmate gave after the little episode above), is PowerAde powder.  comes in a little packet, and you dissolve it in water.  worked a treat.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #87 on: 19 Apr 2009, 13:34 »

I think the paralysis comes from severe dehydration...I'm not sure because it's never happened to me, but I think I've heard of people getting lost in the desert who have trouble moving their limbs after not having any water.

Anyways: who has a hangover right now?

Me.  I do.

Shaztastic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #88 on: 19 Apr 2009, 16:18 »

my normal cure is sleep as much as you can, if you have to get up eat crisps (chips) and lots of them juice or coke or something (I can't drink plain water. also Do Not drink milk if you're a puker like me)

keep trying to eat until it stays down then drink as much water as you can stomach and sleep also bucket beside wherever you're sleeping/sitting 

I'm gonna try some preventative measures next week i'm going to a pendulum gig and seeing my sister and her friends. know i'm going to drink quite a bit but have a bus journey the next day puking hangover + bus journey = torture >.< i'm gonna try limit alcohol but know once i start i wont stop i'll just get into it also i'll go for higher quality vodka
I'm trying to find myself as a person, sometimes that's not easy to do. Millions of people live their entire lives without finding themselves. But it is something I must do - Marylin Monroe

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #89 on: 19 Apr 2009, 18:34 »

I have heard about but never tried the pickle juice thing. Apparently rugby players also drink it as a substitute for Gatorade.  I heard this from one of my professors who can't play rugby anymore, because if he gets another concussion he'll almost certainly die.  Oh, college.

I think you sort of have to figure out what works for you.  I rarely get hangovers since I switched to gin, but when I do the best thing is to vomit.  I fill up a big glass of water and head to the bathroom and just drink until I throw up.  That seems to solve all my problems.

Oh, and I will second avoiding dairy.  I don't drink milk or anything these days, but I remember some really awful sickness from attempting to eat a bowl of cereal after a rough night.  I feel ill just thinking about it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up