THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 17:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fennesz and Tim Hecker boner-time thread  (Read 3045 times)

Caspian

• The Tickler
The Fennesz and Tim Hecker boner-time thread
« on: 12 Apr 2009, 02:30 »

Man, are these guys freaking amazing or what? I've been thrashing Harmony in Ultraviolet and Endless Summer for a while now, just completely fucking awesome.These guys do probably the most interesting ambient/drone I've heard, yet there's still the whole hypnosis/state of otherworldly bliss. Hecker and Fennesz: I would kill a few people to see them collaborate.

Anyway, this thread is dedicated to those two, and the general awesomeness that is laptop/glitch/whatever ambient when it's done right.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: The Fennesz and Tim Hecker boner-time thread
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2009, 18:47 »

AH, both are wonderful. Tim Hecker's recent collaboration with Aidan Baker was brilliant, very dark and very scary. Hecker is great in general though (even if the latest left me a tad cold compared to some earlier stuff). Fennesz I like a lot too but am a bit less familiar with. For my money, solo ambient projects don't get much better than Eluvium, however.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2009, 21:22 »

I would once again second the recommendation of Mezzotint by Chris Herbert. It's a jarring, beautiful little record. Listening to it sort of feels like walking through alleys of abandoned cities, where you can hear faint murmurs of helicopters in the distance and the wind and sea are crashing together on the walls and windows so very subtly. Marvelous.

Tim Hecker is great as well. I haven't listened to Fennesz before, however, although if he's anything like these two, I'm sure I'll enjoy it just fine. Any specific album [we] should listen to first?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2009, 22:54 »

AH, both are wonderful. Tim Hecker's recent collaboration with Aidan Baker was brilliant, very dark and very scary. Hecker is great in general though (even if the latest left me a tad cold compared to some earlier stuff). Fennesz I like a lot too but am a bit less familiar with. For my money, solo ambient projects don't get much better than Eluvium, however.

When eluvium sticks to his loop pedals and guitars he's amazing, I don't really rate Copia very high, though.

Kai: endless summer is generally considered to be his best record.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2009, 07:28 »

Hey cool I was just gonna start a drone/ambient thread because I have only recently started to explore the genre seriously, so now I've got some more stuff to add to my list of artists to check out.

I think I like Eluvium best so far. Talk Amongst the Trees makes the world feel like it should be moving in slow motion.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:56 »

It's an incredible album. It's pretty ridiculous that he's doing it all with a guitar and one pedal and some fairly basic laptop stuff. He can't do it all live (one of my favorite songs of his, New Animals from the Air, is impossible for him for example) but he always plays 'Taken' and it's a blissfully loud and impressive 16 minutes when he does.
I think Copia has some beautiful moments. He writes pretty simple yet stirring piano pieces and the hum of horns, organs and strings, all manipulated and altered, are gorgeous on tracks like 'Requiem on Frankfurt Ave.' and 'Ostinato' and others.

I would suggest looking at 'Harmony in Ultraviolet' as a first Hecker album, personally. That may just be a bias since it's the first one I heard but it was definitely a good jumping off point for his other albums. Avoid, for example, 'Radio Amor' first as it's less accessible and such. I also didn't have strong feelings either way for 'An Imaginary Country' so don't go for that one first either.

Michael, you will probably like the band Belong as well. It's a duo that makes very dense, pretty guitar drone. Jasper, TX is another solo ambient artists that you'll certainly like if you enjoy Eluvium. His albums are often a bit darker, somehow more sinister I feel. Anything involving Hildur Gudnasdottir or William Basinski will almost certainly be excellent. Finally, for a "classical" ambient sort of piece, Gavin Bryars 'Sinking of the Titanic' is an incredible piece of music.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:56 »

Hell yeah, so much new music to discover.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2009, 19:51 »

Belong is indeed massive ambient boner-times. I'd say "Remove the Inside" has some of the best drone-tones I've ever heard. Monolithic stuff, indeed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up