THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 9247 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #50 on: 30 Jul 2010, 13:23 »

I somehow collected every single Tetra Master card, as a young child, without using any guides. I have no idea how I managed that.

I still have the save file on a memory card somewhere.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #51 on: 30 Jul 2010, 15:03 »

Tetra Master was a lot of fun when you understood how to play it. I can't remember how to any more, but I can remember the fun. And the frustration.

The Chocobo minigame was pretty damn great too.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2010, 15:06 by snalin »
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #52 on: 30 Jul 2010, 23:55 »

The Chocobo side quest in IX WAS great. It also leads to one of the best bosses ever.

EDIT: I've finally gotten to the point of FFXIII in which it becomes much less linear and side quests become available, and the game experience has actually improved significantly. The hunts have become quite addictive, and the story is getting interesting.
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2010, 21:55 by Cartilage Head »
Hate, rain on me

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #53 on: 04 Aug 2010, 22:17 »

this game sucked, i think i got like to somewhere around the ruins and i just started playing the FF's that you can download off PSN or xboxlive. it totally feels like a more horrible version of FFX (or maybe X-2, which i didnt play, but my then 13 year old sister did and she loved it and she loves XIII also.) the story doesnt really make any sense, but for some reason out of all the reasons for this game sucking, the one detail i was most annoyed about was the whole "two planet-planet inside of a planet" concept of PULSE and COCOON. it just didnt work in my mind, logistically speaking. maybe i got the details wrong, but that says more about the game where they expect you to read this whole encyclopedia about it instead of actually showing you in the game so you understand. its like showing a tribesman a blueprint of a car and expecting him to get it

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #54 on: 08 Aug 2010, 02:19 »

Well, at least the story made more sense than your post.
Hate, rain on me

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #55 on: 13 Aug 2010, 18:25 »

but did it?

did it?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #56 on: 13 Aug 2010, 22:05 »

Yeah dogg, you're pretty much a mumbling incoherent homeless guy who occasionally yells at passersby in your posts.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #57 on: 05 Oct 2010, 00:03 »

Finished the game. I think I'm one of about five people on the internet that loves XIII unabashedly. It got rid of everything I loathe in jRPGs - infrequent save points, "resetting" to the last save point after a party death, slow-ass combat (I like turn-based, but it can be really fuckin' slow, eg. Lost Odyssey and feeling obliged to change rings every second goddamn turn. In XIII nobody's ever just standing around waiting), pointless NPC interactions that are just there to beef up play hours, etc.

It sure is a flawed game, though. The cast is 50% awesome (Lightning, Sazh, Fang) and 50% groan-worthy (particularly Snow) but it's fairly decent as far as modern FF games go...which isn't really a compliment. Exploration is, obviously, linear. The playable cast needed to be bigger; I'd have liked a few extra non-essential folk just to provide some variety. The voice-acting was top-notch for an imported RPG, though optional Japanese voices would have been nice. The storyline made sense to me but there's a lot that should have been explained better - I get the feeling a XIII-2 will be released, I only hope it's better than the other FF sequels Squeenix have released.

Additional observation: as far as Tetsuya Nomura goes, the character designs were surprisingly restrained.
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2010, 00:05 by Phaedra »

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #58 on: 05 Oct 2010, 13:57 »

I ended up not liking it toward the end.

I have a review here if anyone wants to read it.
Hate, rain on me

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #59 on: 05 Oct 2010, 15:11 »

Yr blog seems to be set to private, I get a "denied" message even after logging into tumblr.

amandathehunter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #60 on: 06 Oct 2010, 10:51 »

EDIT: I've finally gotten to the point of FFXIII in which it becomes much less linear and side quests become available, and the game experience has actually improved significantly. The hunts have become quite addictive, and the story is getting interesting.

How many hours in, for those of us who haven't even attempted XIII yet?

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #61 on: 06 Oct 2010, 14:06 »

Depending on how fast/slow you play, it's roughly 20-30 hours in. That sounds like a long time, but to put it into perspective, my final save file (right after the credits) was around 80 hours. That explorable area is almost big enough to be a game in itself.

amandathehunter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #62 on: 06 Oct 2010, 14:40 »

just curious. i'm the kind of gamer who will throw 120+ hours into this kind of crap (you should see the played time on my wow characters!) so i thought i'd ask. Thanks!

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #63 on: 06 Oct 2010, 23:40 »

remember when Odin Sphere got mentioned for a couple posts? those were a good few posts, everybody go play Odin Sphere
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #64 on: 07 Oct 2010, 14:40 »

Nah, play Disgaea if you like time-sinks. Though maybe wait for the fourth one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up