THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC Time dilation factor.  (Read 7862 times)

giant_bug

• Emoticontraindication
  • I hope you like Giant Bugs
QC Time dilation factor.
« on: 18 Mar 2009, 21:45 »

Since the strip started (about 8/1/2003 if I remember), only about 71 total days have elapsed in the internal story timeline.

Since it's really been about 2056 days in our frame of reference, that means the time dilation factor of QC is about 29 to 1.

That would imply that the strip itself is travelling at least 99.94% of the speed of light.

Just thought everyone should know.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: QC Time dilation factor.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2009, 22:35 »

Faye did say in #718 that everything was blueshifted.

If you want to give this the full nerdy treatment, we don't know how many days are in some of those undefined intervals, so the timing is uncertain. Jeph has said "more than six months and less than ten years". People who are my masters at obsessing with detail have tried to extrapolate the passage of time by measuring hair growth.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2009, 05:55 »

In QC-verse, QC-Earth has a highly eccentric orbit.  It reached periapsis around "The Talk" and apoapsis during the time the season and Dora's hair changed.

championofkhorne

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2009, 13:51 »

time dilation obsession is so 1990's

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2009, 15:21 »

In QC-verse, QC-Earth has a highly eccentric orbit.  It reached periapsis around "The Talk" and apoapsis during the time the season and Dora's hair changed.

But then the seasons would be much more extreme! Unless the city is under a dome, as we once supposed.

time dilation obsession is so 1990's

It's coming round again because of the Stable Time Loop, or something like that.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2009, 15:24 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

giant_bug

• Emoticontraindication
  • I hope you like Giant Bugs
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2009, 18:28 »

If you want to give this the full nerdy treatment, we don't know how many days are in some of those undefined intervals, so the timing is uncertain. Jeph has said "more than six months and less than ten years". People who are my masters at obsessing with detail have tried to extrapolate the passage of time by measuring hair growth.

Yeah, I just went through the series noting changes of clothing and characters greeting each other with 'Good morning!'.  I know, it' s pathetic.

It's interesting, though, that Jeph is pretty good with continuity.  If Marten is wearing a blue t-shirt in the morning,  it's on him all day.  You'll even see a tiny patch of blue under his jacket when
he's outdoors.  It's also notable that the characters change clothes every day.  Most cartoon characters keep the same clothing forever.

I think I'll go count the hairs on my head now.

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2009, 22:57 »

But then the seasons would be much more extreme! Unless the city is under a dome, as we once supposed.

The involvement of the US Government in robot technology suggests that politicians have been much friendlier to science in QC-verse than they have in our own.  As a result, they've developed a "smart" greenhouse gas that retains heat in colder temperatures and radiates it back into space in warmer temperatures.

Also, QC-Venus exhibits prograde motion.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2009, 14:47 »

It's interesting, though, that Jeph is pretty good with continuity.  If Marten is wearing a blue t-shirt in the morning,  it's on him all day.  You'll even see a tiny patch of blue under his jacket when
he's outdoors.  It's also notable that the characters change clothes every day.  Most cartoon characters keep the same clothing forever.

This is actually one of my favorite things about the strip, the fact that the characters don't go through drastic wardrobe changes every 6 months/whenever Jeph feels like he wants to change them. They also start to have recurring shirts, so its not like he is just drawing them different each time. They get new shirts, and they also wear old ones, its something that makes this pretty unique for a weekly strip that has been running as long as it has.

Then again, you look at something like Penny-Arcade and you can't really see the main characters in anything but their token clothes. Of course their strip doesn't have as much continuity as QC, they do a lot more one off comics.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2009, 15:39 »

I agree wholeheatedly with everything everyone has ever said, but mostly with what Pants just said

QC would just look bizzare if they didn't change clothes; even though it takes like a week for a day to go by then they jump forward several months. It adds that extra sense of realism n(and depth to the characters; not an awful lot but it kind of brings the Marten from the old strips "back" of he wears his Teh shirt, even though he -  art-style wise - looks completely different)

... I shall return to this when the point I've been trying to make for about half an hour now forms into sentences in my head

There is no sin except stupidity

lolwut

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2009, 04:53 »

Then again, you look at something like Penny-Arcade and you can't really see the main characters in anything but their token clothes. Of course their strip doesn't have as much continuity as QC, they do a lot more one off comics.

PA doesn't actually have plot continuity

it does have character continuity, in that the characters stay the same throughout the strip, but nothing that happens in one strip also happens in another unless explicitly said so

championofkhorne

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2009, 13:21 »

it is like comparing a TV drama like House (QC) to something like South Park(PA). sure time progresses but their really isnt a plot to it. QC has progression and character development.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2009, 01:58 »

But often times, things tha have happened in past episodes/strips are called back into play in later ones.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

UTAlan

• Plantmonster
  • Hookem Horns!
    • My QC Site
« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2009, 10:12 »

it is like comparing a TV drama like House (QC) to something like South Park(PA). sure time progresses but their really isnt a plot to it. QC has progression and character development.

The character development is possibly my favorite aspect of QC.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2009, 14:57 »

Since the strip started (about 8/1/2003 if I remember), only about 71 total days have elapsed in the internal story timeline.

Surely it must be more than that... we had winter and summer, like, ... two times each?
Stop messing around with my br- duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrh... *grumble* ... food! Me want food!

@ChampionOfKhorne / UTAlan:
I prefer Nurgle, and ... what character development? Lately - it seems to me - it has come to an almost complete stop... Oo
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

UTAlan

• Plantmonster
  • Hookem Horns!
    • My QC Site
« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2009, 15:08 »

@ChampionOfKhorne / UTAlan:
I prefer Nurgle, and ... what character development? Lately - it seems to me - it has come to an almost complete stop... Oo

Maybe for Marten and Dora, but not for Faye. She is growing/changing a lot lately, given everything that's going on with Sven.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2009, 15:16 »

She has yet to draw a real conclusion and make her second encounter with Sven.

I will postpone my acknowledgement until I see some real change in behaviour, not just relationship-ish philosophy ;)

edit:
Dammit, out of topic.

@Topic:
OMG, wtf! Timetravel!
(Woyzeck was written in 1830-something!!)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2009, 16:18 »

I believe that the recent switch that showed Dora's hair much longer and Faye bitching about the cold indicates that the storyline has been in place for about a year, because it was chilly when Faye and Marten met, then it was summer, now it's winter again.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2009, 16:43 »

They don't look very chilly here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

Thorbard

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2009, 00:56 »

I propose that was spring, back in the beginning. Explains both warm enough for short sleeves and the boob groping because of the cold.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2009, 01:00 »

Possibly, but I think it's too vague to call; where do cool evenings and freezing hands fit in?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2009, 01:35 »

Possibly, but I think it's too vague to call; where do cool evenings and freezing hands fit in?

Isn't the North always cold and dark?

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2009, 20:24 »

In the summer?  No. not even close.

Of course, the QC world isn't exactly the same as our world, so QC Massachusetts might be a lot cooler temperature-wise than the real Massachusetts.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 24 Mar 2009, 20:58 »

In the summer?  No. not even close.

Compared to the south (read: heaven on earth*) yes it is. The north is full of godless devils who live in the cold dark dark coldness.

Seriously, that's how they think down here.

*  Seriously, that's how they think down here.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #24 on: 24 Mar 2009, 22:19 »

The Man maintains that Illinois is part of the arctic circle.

Granted it wasn't quite as cold in winter when we lived in Arkansas, but you put a three of inches of snow on the ground and everyone is snowed in.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!
Pages: [1]   Go Up