THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 30 Apr 2024, 23:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where The Wild Things Are  (Read 16389 times)

Yunior

• Furry furrier
Re: Where The Wild Things Are
« Reply #50 on: 20 Oct 2009, 19:10 »

I basically cried non-stop through this movie, and also after I'd seen it when I was just thinking about the movie. Not like, sobby-crying, I am not a huge sap, but this movie really, really got to me.

"Is it appropriate for kids?" is such a non-question/non-relevant criticism of a film to me. How obvious could it have been that this movie's audience was intended to be broader than the book? It captured all the tremendous fury that is involved with being a kid, plopped down in a world you don't understand and can't repair. I kind of agree about the ending, but I also don't feel there was another was of ending it.

Go see it!
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #51 on: 20 Oct 2009, 21:05 »

I watched this program from age 8 to 12 (they aired just after children's TV).

That episode scared the living shit out of me as a kid. I had a weird thing about skeletons. It was still pretty frightening when I just watched it now.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #52 on: 21 Oct 2009, 13:03 »

I wouldn't swim for weeks thanks to that show.  Made summer vacation at day camp awkward.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #53 on: 21 Oct 2009, 14:07 »

The way I viewed it, Where the Wild Things Are isn't a childrens' movie.  It's a movie about a child, which is an entirely different thing.  Moreso, it's a movie about growing up, which is to say it's a movie about the loss of childhood.

Yes, it's about childhood imagination, but it's specifically about Max using his imagination as a means of understanding what it means to be an adult.  I'd be interested to hear what a kid who's about Max's age thinks of the movie, because it so clearly contains lessons about childhood that you can't understand until your childhood is behind you.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #54 on: 21 Oct 2009, 16:26 »

I watched this program from age 8 to 12 (they aired just after children's TV).

That episode scared the living shit out of me as a kid. I had a weird thing about skeletons. It was still pretty frightening when I just watched it now.

Pansies
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #55 on: 21 Oct 2009, 18:28 »

This doesn't come out til December 3.

Motherfuck.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #56 on: 21 Oct 2009, 18:30 »

Yeah, and they're really inflating the hype balloon early on this one. Did you notice how a couple of weeks ago it was the cover story for all the Australian weekend papers' arts & review lift-outs? Usually that happens when a film's opening in a week or two, not a month or two.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #57 on: 21 Oct 2009, 18:33 »

Well it was filmed in Victoria and is getting a bunch of good reviews already so I guess they want to get in on the hype before it's old hat. Still, I can't think of a valid reason for it to not be brought out here. I mean there is shit all for it to compete with at the moment.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #58 on: 21 Oct 2009, 18:58 »

Guys, it's not depressing. I don't know if you were watching the last 15 minutes or so, but there is definitely a resolution, and it is not tragic. Non-verbal, subtle, really well done (to my mind), and at the very least OK if not full-blown Happy. As for kids, the edgy moments are on par with something like Coraline - maybe a little scarier. And I think kids would get something out of it. It struck me as being true to childhood in ways that very few movies are.

Plus, the island is Max's subconscious. Here's a pretty good essay to that effect. An interesting interpretation of the ending to boot.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #59 on: 08 Nov 2009, 12:21 »

Saw it this weekend. It's a pretty fantastic film.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #60 on: 03 Dec 2009, 04:44 »

This just opened in Australia today, so I went and saw it. Just got back about half an hour ago.

The end - Max leaving the island, saying goodbye to the wild things and returning to his mum - was lovely and poignant, with a strongly implied sense of leaving childhood, or at least early childhood, behind, which echoed beautifully with the opening of the film, which was also great and showed clearly without ever over-doing it how everything in Max's life is changing except himself. I thought these two bookends to the film were fabulous.

The problem was in the great big long middle of the film, basically everything on the island up to all the wild things saying goodbye to Max. This never really engaged me emotionally at all, much less to the extent that the parts described above did, and in fact I grew quite bored of it - which is not good in a film that's just over one-and-a-half hours long (very short by contemporary standards). My main problem with the film, though, was pretty much exactly what I feared it would be: there was no real sense that the wild things were actually wild. Sure, they engaged in the odd bit of consequence-free destruction and child-like play-fighting (and yes, I know there's a point being made about the wild things' behaviour, and Max's own behaviour, and how they're a reflection of his own childishness); but there was no sense of genuine danger in the film. Remember, it's based on a book which initially met with outrage from many parents, who thought children might actually find it terrifying. The wild things in the book really are wild and animal like and they crown Max as their king because he frightens them. In the film they're basically the cast of Friends in giant fur suits. Apart from occasionally referring to eating people, they're soft and cuddly and feel like the kind of people you might meet in an inner-city coffee shop talking about what's on their iPod.

Basically the film seemed to me like a real missed opportunity to make something genuinely strange and unsettling, which I think would have made the lovely bittersweet scenes at the end all the more powerful. Disappointing.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #61 on: 11 Dec 2009, 15:39 »

I really enjoyed this movie.

I see some of the weaknesses Inlander pointed out, but I didn't mind it as much.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up