THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 14:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somebody really likes Animal Collective...  (Read 3893 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Somebody really likes Animal Collective...
« on: 25 Mar 2009, 21:31 »

Did you guys see this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260379725777
I know it's for charity and all but...wow. It got me thinking though. How much a music "collector" are you? Looking through my record and CD collections, I have a lot of stuff that was released in only one pressing of a very small number. I also have lots of colored vinyl. I've spent a decent amount of money to get some of the pieces in my collection, to be honest. I spent $50 on Tarentel's "From Bone to Satellite" on vinyl and almost the same for their 7" split with Rothko, for example. And whenever an album goes on sale on vinyl from a label I like (Temporary Residence is the notable example here), I pre-order on day 1 to make sure I get the colored vinyl. I don't know why that kind of this appeals to me, to be honest. Anybody else "collect" music in various forms? Do you care which printing/edition/numbered copy/color sleeve you get with your CDs and records or do you not give a shit? How far is too far here (is the line drawn at spending $2000 plus for a record is it far, far, far before that point?)?
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
Re: Somebody really likes Animal Collective...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2009, 21:38 »

I am only a music collector in the sense that I "collect" music that sounds good to my ears
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2009, 22:14 »

I love my records, and feel like I get a nice little bonus when there's extras included with the packaging.  Things like coloured vinyl, signed album covers, and gatefold packages are all awesome, but not essential.

I have trouble buying an expensive record.  $2000 is far, far beyond what I could justify spending.  A lot of Current 93 albums are pretty pricey, and I always have trouble deciding if I want to spend the $30 or so on them.  A record store near my house has Sun City Girls "Grotto Of Miracles" for $45 dollars.  It's a record I really, really want, but I can't decide if it's really worth paying that much for it.

Basically, I like collecting, but I'm not too crazy about it.  Or at least, I try not to be.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2009, 22:40 »

I'd feel more negatively about this if it wasn't a charity auction.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

kwami42

• Obscure cultural reference
    • last.fm
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2009, 22:49 »

I mostly download music, but I'll buy vinyls of my favorite albums to collect as I come across them.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2009, 06:57 »

I was in a bad mood for days when I missed out on buying a copy of the repressing of Q and Not U's "X-Ploynation/Book of Flags" single on clear vinyl the other week. The money made it into my paypal account less than an hour after they sold out. I've got money queued up to buy the repressing of No Kill No Beep Beep on white vinyl and the "Hot and Informed" 7". White vinyl is awesome.

I bid over $50 on ebay for the original vinyl of Cap'n Jazz's only full-length LP but I was outbid. Also, there was a copy of Owls' self-titled on blue vinyl up there the other day for upwards of $30 but I am already dedicated to these Q and Not U repressings and the Algernon Cadwallader 7" coming out in April so I couldn't bid on it.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2009, 06:59 by michaelicious »

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:56 »

I love my records, and feel like I get a nice little bonus when there's extras included with the packaging.  Things like coloured vinyl, signed album covers, and gatefold packages are all awesome, but not essential.

I have trouble buying an expensive record.  $2000 is far, far beyond what I could justify spending.  A lot of Current 93 albums are pretty pricey, and I always have trouble deciding if I want to spend the $30 or so on them.  A record store near my house has Sun City Girls "Grotto Of Miracles" for $45 dollars.  It's a record I really, really want, but I can't decide if it's really worth paying that much for it.

Basically, I like collecting, but I'm not too crazy about it.  Or at least, I try not to be.

That's basically how I buy things, too.  Unless it's a record by an artist I *really* like, I balk at the idea of paying more than $18-20 for a record.  Even for my favorite bands, i don’t like going higher than $35 (and I only go that high when I chance onto a record in a store that I'm unlikely to ever see again). 

For the most part, I like finding rare music in used shops, where it's likely the owners don't realize that obscure CD in the dollar bin retails for $20+.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2009, 09:00 »

That is always fun. I bought this record Well Cut by a band called Jenghiz Khan at a flea market for like $1.50 because I liked the cover and I found out that it is actually a pretty highly sought after collector's item.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2009, 10:50 »

Algernon Cadwallader 7" coming out in April so I couldn't bid on it.

Fun fact: I have two copies of the Algernon Cadwallader 7" demo. Why? One is warped out if its fucking mind (it shipped that way :c (oooooh jacked what?))

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:05 »

I like to think that I have a collection of sorts, but I wouldn't say that it's indulgent, which is the lengths that I think we're talking about.
I mean, I have a few out-of-print cds, but I never spent too much for them. I have Brainiac's Bonsai Superstar, but I got it two years ago on Amazon for ten dollars. Now it sells for much higher. I guess, since I have to pay my way through college I have an excuse for why I don't spend too much to get the items I want, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't spend too much collecting anyway.
The point where owning the music is less important than listening to it becomes too much for me.
But at the same time, I still buy a lot of cds. At the point where I can fill three bookshelves and three drawers with them, it's hard to be modest. So maybe it is just the income.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:53 »

I have a terribly difficult time justifying purchasing any music over $20. However, my one big purchase was the limited edition seven-vinyl Sigur Ros "box set". I think I paid $150 for that, and am terribly happy I did.

Other than that, I don't think I own anything special. I have an original White Album with white vinyl, I have the clear/coloured Decemberists single series, and I have the hand-painted Wrens Seacaucus and Silver CDs (got Seacaucus autographed by the band after one of their shows, too), but that's about it.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2009, 13:11 »

I guess the most expensive record set I own is the absurdly beautiful Eluvium vinyl boxset. It's a big, hardcover book containing seven pieces of vinyl, each in a sleeve with original artwork made just for the set and a huge fold out poster in the back. The inside front cover has an old fashioned library card hand signed by Matthew Cooper, Temp. Res. label leader and the set's designer Jeremy DeVine and the woman who did the artwork, Jeannie Lynn Paske. It also has my name, handwritten as well, on the fourth line. It's numbered (#63/1000) to boot. I truly love it. Worth every penny of the $120 I spent on it.

Hollow Press (my blog)

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2009, 19:24 »

Worth every penny of the $120 I spent on it.

I read this as "Worth every penny of the $1201 spent on it" and was like, goddamn, is this the same dude who thought the Animal Crack box was priced too high?  :lol:

The most valuable thing in my collection (price-wise) is the Blur 10 Year Anniversary Box Set, which is going on Amazon now for $225.  But I didn't pay a dime for it.  My girlfriend's parents ordered a copy for her as a Christmas present, it didn't arrive, they complained to the retailer who sent a replacement, then the first one showed up.  So she had two copies, and I got one.

Darling, you may have broken my heart, but I'll always have fond memories of when you gave me all those CDs.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2009, 22:16 »

I had a few months of "vinyl fever". I have a couple of Buck 65 records, some BRMC singles, and a couple of Coil albums. I love love love the Coil albums (Black Light District on transparent vinyl yessssss) but $80 on ebay for a record was just too much for me.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2009, 22:32 »

I think my absolute favourite record find has been Horse Rotorvator is the back of the used bin of a local record store.  So happy, it made me.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 01 Apr 2009, 09:18 »

Woo! So I just ordered the reissue of Q and Not U's No Kill No Beep Beep. I thought it was supposed to be white vinyl, but it turns out that it is being pressed on gold vinyl! That is awesome. I have never seen gold vinyl before.

Also, I just got my Look Mexico Gasp Asp 7" today. It is on white vinyl and the packaging looks so awesome. I was really impressed with how professional it looks considering it is the label's first and only release, so far. And it took less than 10 days to get here on top of that!

I know there have been threads about recent musical purchases/acquirements in the past, but people usually ruin it by posting dumb shit about the thread being a pissing/dick-measuring/other inexplicably phallic-related functions competition. Should we start a new one? I like to read about and look at pictures of people's pretty vinyl/neat CD packaging.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #16 on: 01 Apr 2009, 11:10 »

I recently preordered Sound&Fury's 7" Passeridae subscription series. Sound&Fury is a truly awesome little label and distro from Australia which puts out tons of cool stuff. This series looks amazing. Limited to 100 subscriptions for the world, it's a series of 12 split 7" pairing Australian noise/drone/machine music ect. artists with counterparts from all over the world, each artists contributing a new track for their side. All the records come on different colored vinyl in hand numbered and hand screen printed sleeves plus you get a 2xCD with all the tracks from all the records at the end of the series and other bonus stuff too. There's still two splits that haven't been announced but the ones that have all sound amazing. I'm most excited for the Tarentel/Seaworthy, Scissor Lock/Jasper TX, The North Sea/Anonymeye and Moonmilk/My Cat is an Alien splits but other cool contributors include Thurston Moore, Library Tapes, Zelienople and Starving Weirdos. This might just be the greatest vinyl purchase of my life thus far. It wasn't cheap, setting me back some $120 but for 12 exclusive, limited, colored, split 7" featuring some of my favorite artists, overseas shipping, a 2xCD so I can have high quality portable versions of all the songs and other stuff too, it seems worth it.
It's certainly a lot more expensive than the other 7" series I signed up for, Geographic North's You Can't Hide Your Love Forever which is a series of 7" (not splits) that come in super nice sleeves and on colored vinyl and so far has featured Sunny Day in Glasgow, Tussle, Tarentel (!) and Psychic Powers with more to be announced later. Each is limited to 300 copies and the subscription ($36 for the first 6, not sure if I'll sign up for the second half since it's a 12 part series) includes free shipping with other random stuff is thrown in. I got a very nice little screen printed poster and more cool free stuff to follow.

I love 7" series.

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: [1]   Go Up