THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antarticon 09  (Read 4842 times)

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
Antarticon 09
« on: 01 Apr 2009, 03:01 »

With just two weeks left to go until AntartiCon, I figured we should start a thread to keep track of things and to allow any latecomers to jump onboard.
Confirmed so far are:
Myself
Linds
Tommydski
Slick/James
ZJGent/Jack
AnimalGhost/Edward
Ruyi/Cathy
Phwodges/Pablo
Updated!
May/Barmymoo
Jens

Possibly coming:
Tania

We'll be staying for one week at the Vernadsky Research Base on Galindez Island for a small charge. You have to book your own tickets, but you'll be allowed to stay on the base for $17 a week, as you'll technically be a volunteer worker. The charge is to cover our individual food rations. We can only go outside during daylight hours and we'll be required to assist research teams in collecting water samples from beneath several frozen lakes. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, basically, since the frozen lakes are some of the last unexplored places on the planet! Remember, no photography around the drill sites for the samples because we don't know how the flash will affect the microscopic life yet.

For those of us who're making it there on the Sunday, the first two days will be spent on the boat off of the Antartic Peninsula, they'll take us to the research station on the Tuesday to meet up with the rest of you.

Things you might need:
Warm boots
Extra socks
Remember what they told us from the base, no jeans. Most of the clothes we'll need will be supplied for us.
Toiletries
Pen and paper
Catfood
Board games (no point in bringing your iPods or laptops, we're not allowed to use the extra power outlets)
A spare black rook from chess (Dr Manifred Hatten lost one from thier set)

Is there anything I've forgotten? Are there any latecomers?
It's all booked so if you're a latecomer, you might have trouble finding your own method of getting there, but good luck!

Updates:
*Barmymoo is setting off with Tommydski and Phwodges.
*Jens has booked his ticket, but still needs to find a slot at the base. Jens, if you don't stay in the base, you will die.
*Animal Ghost/Edward is willing to take a later boat so he can pick up any stragglers or latecomers, he'll arrive on the Thursday with anybody else who's not yet made plans. Roo/Cathy was gonna take the same boat, so she might stay behind a little too?

More update:
*Tommy is paying Jens' fee to stay in the base because Jens is poor.
He's only poor because he just bought a bloodied t-shirt a fan handed to Henry Rollins to mop his busted nose back in 1989 via eBay. For nearly $400.
It gets better...
...he says he can see his future in the blood patterns. No joke. Jens, Rollins is cool and all, but he's not a god or nothing.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2009, 15:06 by Sox »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Antarticon 09
« Reply #1 on: 01 Apr 2009, 03:03 »

Me me me I'm totally in on this I am completely prepared for the weather I have been in training since I moved to the Welsh borders!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 01 Apr 2009, 03:09 »

May, it'll be easier for you to make it if you set off with Tommy or Jack. Start looking at plane ticket prices, there's no room left on the boat. PM Phwodges if you want details about getting there by plane, folks.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3 on: 01 Apr 2009, 03:11 »

I've already got Apples to Apples and Scrabble packed. Also I've got an entire suitcase full of super thick and warm yarn, because I know you kids will forget socks and as I've always said, warm socks are the most important thing.

No, I will not bring you back a penguin. Penguin is mine.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 01 Apr 2009, 03:34 »

Tommy's the one who organised the whole thing, I'm just repeating what he told me!

Gilead

« Reply #5 on: 01 Apr 2009, 04:02 »

I wish I'd known anything about this before, it sounds amazing : [

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #6 on: 01 Apr 2009, 04:07 »

Sorry I can't make it guys :( I gotta lot of things going on.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: 01 Apr 2009, 04:08 »

Shit, I'm spending some time with family when this is going on.  But I tell you what, they run a restaurant so for an hour a day I'll just go hang out in the freezer and think about you guys.  That counts, right?
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #8 on: 01 Apr 2009, 04:13 »

Oh man and I live right near Antarctica ad everything guys! Thanks a lot  :-(
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 01 Apr 2009, 04:19 »

yeah, but the boats from Australia end up at research stations on the opposite side of the continent. It's not that this is a strictly "no ausies" trip, it's just that you'd have to take a plane to another continent again before you could get on a boat to Vernadsky, and even then you'd probably arrive weeks after the rest of us. Infact, everybody reading this should be aware that if you want to come, you have to set off with the other parties. PM the guys nearest to you for details about getting there.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 01 Apr 2009, 04:48 »

I'll be in the region for a Narwhal Dueling Society meet anyway, I might pop in and say hi.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #11 on: 01 Apr 2009, 05:04 »

If I come but bring my own food and build myself a shelter, I won't have to pay anything, and my friend Dan is a Submarine Warfare Officer in the Royal Navy so I could just hitch a lift with him.

Count me in!
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #12 on: 01 Apr 2009, 05:06 »

I love it.

All those people who voluntairily toss themselves upon an iceflow.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 01 Apr 2009, 05:15 »

I'll go only if I can bring back a penguin.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 01 Apr 2009, 08:12 »

I'm only in it to steal penguins.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #15 on: 01 Apr 2009, 08:20 »

Tommy, believe it or not; not looks at every possible thing that happens in the world as a chance to get laid. As far as I can see, no one in this thread has shown any indication of the fact that their aim for this con is sex.

Also (I appologise if this was a deliberate joke that I was not in on, or this has been pointed out before but...)
A spare black rook from chess (Dr Manifred Hatten lost one from thier set)

Dr Manifred Hatten

Dr Man-Hatten
?
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #16 on: 01 Apr 2009, 08:33 »

If this trip involves an excursion to the South Pole to meet Evil Santa, consider me in.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 01 Apr 2009, 08:49 »

Was I drunk when I signed on for this? I mean, I just had winter and I don't really like cold weather. I know there are penguins down there and I really want one, but really, was I drunk? Even penguins are a lot to freeze my as off for. There are some at the aquarium AND zoo I could kidnap.

Just so you know, though I am going, you will not see me. You will see a big mass of blankets and wonder where I went. And then suddenly there will be a penguin in the barracks one night. Do not ask the penguins any questions, he knows kung fu.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #18 on: 01 Apr 2009, 08:55 »

Is there any room left? I'd like to get in on this and I just got a raise, so I might be able to afford it. Being out of work also gives me plenty of time for it.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #19 on: 01 Apr 2009, 09:09 »

JON MADE ME GAY

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #20 on: 01 Apr 2009, 10:18 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #21 on: 01 Apr 2009, 10:36 »

Oh god. I already bought Faye a Disney Princesses sleeping bag for camping, but that... I'm trying so hard to not buy that thing.
JON MADE ME GAY

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #22 on: 01 Apr 2009, 11:47 »

Can we club some seals? Cause that would be awesome.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #23 on: 01 Apr 2009, 11:52 »

How about I club you in the face and then see how you like it. Don't be messin with my vacation, man.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #24 on: 01 Apr 2009, 14:57 »

Man guys I might be a little bit late. I wanted to bike from Canada down to Argentina but I got held up at the Mexico-U.S. border and will probably not be able to make my boat. I don't want to impose but, like, if we got a paypal drive together and you guys could spot me the cost of a flight from Buenos Aries to Rio Gallegos I'm sure I could get B.A. in time.
Sorry guys I told them I was just visiting friends from the internet but I got caught up in some weird bureaucratic loophole where I kept getting bounced between border control and cyber-crimes and everyone laughed at me and transferred me to someone else.

(also I support the seal hunt but don't be a dick about the things you kill)
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #25 on: 01 Apr 2009, 15:01 »

Offer to deliver some drugs.  That'll get you through toot-sweet.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #26 on: 01 Apr 2009, 15:40 »

i mean i would love to go to antarctica but...

with you people?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #27 on: 01 Apr 2009, 15:44 »

I would like to go on this trip so I can play my song about our antarctic friends to the actual antarctic friends but um they might not be our friends anymore after that.
it's time to stop posting

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #28 on: 02 Apr 2009, 14:13 »

Not to sound like a massive dick but can I remind everyone that if you're just coming on this expedition to get laid, you're probably going to be very disappointed.

Unless there's a serious situation and we have to have some kind of snow orgy to stay warm.

Ok nevermind then, im no longer interested.
Also 0bsessions well done for making me have Orwellian dreams about Obama. Now I feel like a Fox New anchor. :(
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837
Pages: [1]   Go Up