THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 11:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Age-inappropriate things that scared you as a child.  (Read 21921 times)

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
Re: Age-inappropriate things that scared you as a child.
« Reply #50 on: 14 Apr 2009, 18:40 »

Last of the Mohichans.
I still haven't watched it as an adult.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #51 on: 14 Apr 2009, 19:42 »

the part of The Shining when the Stork (aka Danny's mom) walks up the stairs, looks down the hall, and, through an open door, sees a man in a dog suit heeling obediently at the feet of man in a tuxedo (or something) and then they both look right at her. it's a very very short clip that has literally nothing to do with anything but, for whatever reason, it disturbed me to no end as a child.

just thinking about that scene gives me the shivers to this day.

In the book, the man in the dog suit is blowing the dude in the tux.  Just to scar you further.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #52 on: 14 Apr 2009, 21:40 »

So one time when I was a wee lad I was playing a mortal kombat arcade game. I did okay the first battle but i got my ass kicked the second one. I was all like oh thats lame and was watching the end cutscene thing which involved my character getting thrown into a pit of spikes and watching him get impaled and having blood go everywhere.

I was not pleased about this as a wee lad.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #53 on: 16 Apr 2009, 06:23 »

Oh man, the Shining. The elevators opening and blood pouing out and then the twin girls and the nasty old naked lady. All of these still give me the jibblies, but do I still like the movie? Oh yes I do.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #54 on: 16 Apr 2009, 09:30 »

So one time when I was a wee lad I was playing a mortal kombat arcade game. I did okay the first battle but i got my ass kicked the second one. I was all like oh thats lame and was watching the end cutscene thing which involved my character getting thrown into a pit of spikes and watching him get impaled and having blood go everywhere.

I was not pleased about this as a wee lad.

Oh jeez, this so much.

Also, Hellraiser. NEVER AGE-APPROPRIATE
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #55 on: 16 Apr 2009, 15:29 »

I couldn't finish the first Clock Tower game when I was a kid. I was able to take it sometimes, but I just turned the game off a lot.
Hate, rain on me

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #56 on: 17 Apr 2009, 03:16 »

Oh yeah and the whole sacrifice scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ceiling Cat

• Emoticontraindication
  • WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW
« Reply #57 on: 17 Apr 2009, 22:19 »

I first watched Neon Genesis: Evangelion as a child of 8. That show is full of nightmare fuel, but this part stuck with me:

During one of the later episodes, an experimental Eva unit rejects control and starts fucking shit up for everyone. Shinji (the protagonist) is sent in to destroy it, using his own Eva unit. He discovers, however, that one of his best friends is the pilot (although his friend isn't in control), and refuses to damage the enemy Eva. The enemy Eva gets to work trying to destroy Shinji, but the commander of the operation steps in and initiates the "dummy plug" technology. The dummy plug is essentially an autonomous fighting system for the Eva, and it immediately gets to work.

First, Shinji's unit snaps the neck of the enemy unit. This isn't enough - it then throws the enemy to the ground, rips off its frontal armour, and proceeds to violently tear out its internal organs as the blood seeps into the nearby river and sprays across nearby skyscrapers. At one point, the fist of Shinji's unit comes down and mangles the head of the enemy unit, causing its eyeballs to roll around. As if to add insult to injury, Shinji's unit identifies the entry plug (cockpit equivalent) of the enemy unit, pulls it out, and crushes it in front of Shinji's eyes, despite the fact that a good friend was in there.

All the while, the commander of the operation (who is Shinji's father) is grinning widely, elated at the efficiency of his creation.

Also the bit where all the creepy Rei clones are floating in the tank... and then Ritsuko destroys them all  :-o

rae

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #58 on: 19 Apr 2009, 08:21 »

I saw Jaws when I was about 5 I think. My nan (grandmother) of all people was babysitting and thought it was a good idea to let me and my brother who was 3 at the time watch it. Terrifying.
IT-I hate clowns so so much because of this film. I love the book though.

Terminator 2 frightened me when I first saw it, I guess I was about 9 or 10. Oh and Jurassic Park. I pretty much hid underneath my coat for most of the film.
Mook.

GreyGabe

• Plantmonster
  • Probably not dead.
« Reply #59 on: 19 Apr 2009, 13:29 »

Oh man... for whatever reason the movie "Mars Attacks!" absolutely terrified me  when I was seven.
Also, when I was four or five... the beginning of Ghostbusters. The part with the librarian ghost. I had to hide from that (behind the couch) every time I watched the movie. Which was often, because I liked Ghostbusters. And still do.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #60 on: 19 Apr 2009, 13:51 »

Nothing I can think of from my own viewing, but I did take my little brother to see Robocop 2 in the theaters when he was 10. He's never complained about being traumatized, but I joke that it probably explains a lot afterward.  :-o

(Actually, he's turned out awesomely cool and works as a translator for a video game company in Tokyo.)
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #61 on: 25 Apr 2009, 20:22 »

The Steven King Movie "It" scared the hell outta me as a kid. That movie ruined clowns for me for a long time.  Also speaking of clowns Killer Klowns from Outer Space scared me as a kid but i rewatched it as an adult and couldnt stop laughing. 
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 26 Apr 2009, 05:11 »

King chose clowns because clowns are scary*.  That is to say, clowns were scary before King made it worse.

* To a lot of people.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #63 on: 28 Apr 2009, 14:30 »

Yeah, Pennywise scarred a whole shitload of people that were already afraid of clowns.

He was a scary motherfucker, no doubt.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #64 on: 28 Apr 2009, 17:13 »

That scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Nazi's face melted off gave me nightmares; still freaks me out a lil' bit.  Which means it was AWESOME.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #65 on: 29 Apr 2009, 06:58 »

For me it was the Temple of Doom where they lock the girl in the cage and lower it down into the Ican'tevenremember.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #66 on: 29 Apr 2009, 16:48 »

I watched the movie the Rock when I was 6.  I didn't really plan on watching it, I just happened to be in the same room as my mom when she was watching it and didn't leave because I was faking sleeping so I could stay up late (kind of confusing back story when i type it out).  Anyway, I think there's a scene where some green ball gets dropped that contains some type of nuclear/poison thing and the guys face just kind of melts off, but not like the Nazi in Indiana Jones.  For some reason, that scared the shit out of me.  This movie also made me think that when a person died in a movie, that was it.  The end.  They were actually dead and I wondered where they put all the dead people from movies.

One year, i think i was nine or ten, i wanted to be the guy from scream from halloween.  My mom thought that if I was gonna be him, i should at least see the movie.  So we watched Scream 2 (i'm pretty sure it was 2, when the fat chick tried crawling out of the dog door in the garage) together one night right before halloween.  Granted, its a terrible movie but i was constantly looking over my shoulder for a few weeks.

All of this makes my mom sound bad, but she did a good job raising me, haha.

Also, I didn't see the Shining til a couple years ago, but I don't think I would have found it scary when i was little, unless you count the scene with the old lady and Shelly Duncan's face.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 29 Apr 2009, 18:37 »

I watched the movie the Rock when I was 6. 

Shitfuck; you're not even 20!

No!  I'm not old!  I was in high school when that came out.

Zingoleb

« Reply #68 on: 04 May 2009, 01:41 »

Disneyland fucking terrified me as a child.

I was seven, eight? I ended up choosing a bunch of horror rides to go on, NOT KNOWING THEY WERE HORROR RIDES. I don't have many good memories of Disneyland. I remember leaving there screaming and crying in terror thinking that I was going to die, because these were fairly realistic things I was experiencing in real life, in real time, not a movie.

Fuck Disneyland.

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #69 on: 04 May 2009, 03:37 »

Oh yeah and the whole sacrifice scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Yeah, my older brother took me to see that in the cinema and it really broke me. 

Also Young Sherlock Holmes the following year - people hallucinate awful stuff until they die from freaking out, and, yeah, it didn't feel good at that age.  In particular, the scene that's supposed to be comedy value, where Watson's hallucinating he's being killed by animated cupcakes, freaked the shit out of me.  Cuteness turned evil?  Always scary?  I think so.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #70 on: 05 May 2009, 17:45 »

The circus scene from We're Back!........

Just what the hell was that shit.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #71 on: 10 May 2009, 20:05 »

Every single New Years Eve, as far back as I can remember, I was forced to watch the uncut version of Pink Floyd's The Wall.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #72 on: 11 May 2009, 03:31 »

I saw A Clockwork Orange when I was like 12. 

What. The. Fuck. 

*shudder*
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #73 on: 11 May 2009, 15:07 »

I think Independence Day, Jaws, and Twister all traumatized me enough as a kid independently.  It was fine at first, I wasn't plagued with it or anything for a long time.

Then I moved to Denver, and the memory of those movies instilled a big bag of phobias in me.

Thing about Denver that's weird is that during the summer the weather is the same every day; Crystal clear in the morning, then a wall of clouds emerges from behind the mountains and flash-floods the shit out of everything (more or less) in the evening.

If you haven't seen Independence Day, the beginning of the movie is basically just a bunch of humongous spaceships entering Earth's atmosphere with huge walls of clouds burning around them that are not unlike those clouds I described earlier.

Compile that with the fact that I'd been terrified of tornadoes and lightning, ultra-violet light, aliens, the apocalypse, things jumping out and scaring me, ghosts, my condominium collapsing, the sun exploding, spontaneous human combustion, and basically just stuff in general, I was never not scared.

Oh, the joys of childhood.
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

Meg

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #74 on: 19 May 2009, 18:56 »

Papillon at about age 7. Traumatizing.

A Clockwork Orange at about age 9. I was so confused about the whole thing it was scary.

Wolf

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #75 on: 19 May 2009, 19:47 »

My father took me and a friend too see the first Nightmare on elm street in the theater I think I was 9 or 10.  I was freaked out after that.  One two freddies coming for you...

A funny thing during that movie there is a scene where a girl and guy are hooking up and freddy gets the girl and drags her all over the room and blood gets all over.  During this scene someone in the audience yelled "it must be her first time", everyone laughed.  I did not get the joke until about 10 years later when I saw the movie again.

Also I watched the exorcist around the same age. I think my dad let me watch that one as well.
You've been a great audience. Have a wonderful night.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #76 on: 20 May 2009, 05:28 »

It didn't scare me but it was certainly age-inappropriate.

When I was 9 and my brother was 7 my mother brought us to what she thought was the movie "Chariots of Fire", you know that uplifting story of the first person to run the 4 minute mile, but almost didn't because the race was on a Sunday and as a devout Christian he didn't think he should be racing on the Sabbath.  Well, Mom didn't read the marquee too closely that day - she brought us to see the movie "Quest for Fire", you know cavemen, lots of sex and some violence.  Well, mom realizes her mistake about 30 seconds into the movie, but being properly mortified, remained in her seat for the duration.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #77 on: 20 May 2009, 13:02 »

You got the more interesting movie.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #78 on: 20 May 2009, 15:21 »

For some reason I kept thinking to myself, "That's cool, you got to see Ringo Starr as a caveman," but that's another movie all together.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #79 on: 21 May 2009, 04:46 »

I'm not sure what mortified my mother more - the rather graphic violence, the large number of naked women, the large number of sex scenes, or the lack of anyone speaking a language that could be understood.

As a nine year old though - damn, those are the things that made the movie.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2009, 13:35 »

For some reason I kept thinking to myself, "That's cool, you got to see Ringo Starr as a caveman," but that's another movie all together.

Atook zug zug Lana...

:lol:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #81 on: 25 May 2009, 02:02 »

The Secret Of Nimh was one of my favourite books as a kid, my mom would read it to me before bed, and when I saw the movie (being 4 or 5 i suppose) I remember it scaring the living christ out of me. The book had no horrible rat war in the rain with methusulah getting stabbed up and crushed by a giant wheel, they all lived happily ever after in their new home. It was nightmares for months of little rats sneaking into my room. Never letting my kids watch that shit.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #82 on: 26 May 2009, 05:18 »

Vamp.  It's mostly a horror-comedy, but I was young and

Katrina [Grace Jones] gets AJ in one of the better blood-sucking scenes I've ever seen (rips throat and graphically laps blood).

Fuck you Grace Jones!  Fuck youuuuuuuuu!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #83 on: 26 May 2009, 05:31 »

I'm think you should be legally an adult before you're allowed to see Grace Jones do anything.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #84 on: 26 May 2009, 10:30 »

That awful Grace Jones.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up