THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Turntables and a Microphone (The DJ Thread)  (Read 8762 times)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!

Pretty self-explanatory, really.

I stopped by B&H today to check out a new camera, and got drawn into the Pro Audio department. I subsequently spent two hours being mesmerized by and fiddling with a turntable set-up they had out on the floor. It is such glorious fun oh god.

The thing is, the little money I have at the moment is being invested in a new DSLR and making music. I can't afford a brand-new set-up in any way. However, I just discovered that a friend of mine, who has a massive boner for good music, has a single Technics SL-1200 MK2. That means that between the two of us, we have two identical turntables (I inherited the same make and model from my audiophile father), no mixer, enough classical music on vinyl to bury a man in (also from my father), a few of my own records (psychedelic rock, trip hop, punk), and a ton of his 60s and 70s rock.

Would it be worth splitting the cost of a mixer and winging it? How would we go about doing this? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Might as well make this the catchall gear thread too. Post yours, drool over other people's, you know the drill.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
Re: Two Turntables and a Microphone (The DJ Thread)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2009, 20:46 »

Man, I get a chubby for DJing and the equipment, but I'm assed to use it myself. I wish I could learn tho'.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2009, 22:58 »

A friend of mine has the same set up - two of those tables plus a mixer and a hell of a sound system.

I've only spun records on there a couple times for dance parties. Punk, powerpop, garage, some 60s mod classics. Fun times.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2009, 01:45 »

DJing is one of those skills, like drumming, that I wish I could learn but have yet to actually try. I'm more likely to pick up the drums first, because while drums can be hella expensive they also don't require constantly updating your vinyl catalog to stay current. Also I think I would have more fun being a crappy drummer than a crappy DJ.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Daft pun

• Curry sauce
  • hugs not ughs
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:25 »

You can always use software like Traktor Scratch if you don't want to buy a crate full of vinyl.
All this won't do you any good; you cannot return to the moon!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2009, 04:24 »

Join your local student or beginner radio station. Truth is that they might not have the fanciest equipment, but at here Freshair DJs at some venues, and they have two Technics in the studio, so there is always something to experiment with. Then if you like it, you can go out and get your own set. Plus, have you looked into getting CDjs instead? They're a lot more practical than having to buy all the newest vinyl.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Brian Majestic

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2009, 18:39 »

CDJ - it might be lame but at least it's not just an ipod.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2009, 18:43 »

See I'd probably go for CDJing over the purist, vinyl approach simply because it'd be infinitely more practical.

However, have you seen the price of a good CDJ set-up lately?

It comes to a point where vinyl is cheaper for me at the moment, because I already have access to two turntables.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2009, 18:55 »

DJing is one of those skills, like drumming, that I wish I could learn but have yet to actually try. I'm more likely to pick up the drums first, because while drums can be hella expensive they also don't require constantly updating your vinyl catalog to stay current. Also I think I would have more fun being a crappy drummer than a crappy DJ.

Why bother updating your vinyls to stay current when you can spin dubstep and electro and ragga and dancehall and other stuff people aren't as likely to have heard? You're not going to be playing to huge crowds with lots of cash right now so figure out sounds that work for you and then worry about being "current" later.

You've got thousands of people out there trying to be Steve Aoki. Try to be DJ/Rupture instead!

also probably the best setup is to not pick turntable or laptop but use both
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009, 18:57 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2009, 00:20 »

what I really need to do is learn to use Ableton Live properly, if I want to get into electronic music again. The trouble there, of course, is that the software is almost literally unlimited in capability and every time I try to do something I end up spending 4 hours EQing a kick drum instead of, you know, writing a song.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Fishboy

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2009, 01:39 »

Just out of idle curiosity, what camera are you looking to buy?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2009, 04:24 »

Thisssss. I use Serato Scratch Live. the feel and ease of vinyl with the not-lugging-around crates-of-12-inchers of software DJing. When I started out I thought I was kind of cheating because it is incredibly easy to beatmatch on Serato but honestly if it is good enough for A-Trak, Diplo and Mix Master Mike then it is good enough for me.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Brian Majestic

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2009, 06:43 »

I guess a really important question to ask is what sorta DJing you plan on doing; do you want to just dj for friends or make the big jump to paid club gigs?

Further, do you plan on djing with scratching, beatmixing and all them fun things, or do you plan on djing in a more traditional "playing a whole buncha songs" manner? I am guessing more the latter given the genres you've listed, but...

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:03 »

what I really need to do is learn to use Ableton Live properly, if I want to get into electronic music again. The trouble there, of course, is that the software is almost literally unlimited in capability and every time I try to do something I end up spending 4 hours EQing a kick drum instead of, you know, writing a song.
Crack open Ableton and just have it play preprogrammed tracks while you check your Gmail
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2009, 10:47 »

Join your local student or beginner radio station.

I've been given this advice before; the only conceivable problem is that I live in New York, where it's much harder to come by grassroots multimedia. Even communty programs are impossible to break into because of population/competition/lack of city funding for the arts.

Just out of idle curiosity, what camera are you looking to buy?

Canon EOS Rebel XSI

Thisssss. I use Serato Scratch Live. the feel and ease of vinyl with the not-lugging-around crates-of-12-inchers of software DJing. When I started out I thought I was kind of cheating because it is incredibly easy to beatmatch on Serato but honestly if it is good enough for A-Trak, Diplo and Mix Master Mike then it is good enough for me.

I downloaded Virtual DJ on Emilio's advice and initially had the same reaction. It practically does everything for you, short of automatically, instantly beatmatching tracks that you load into it (and it has options to do that too). But I mean, you could use the technology to your advantage and focus on the artistry, or you could use it when lazy and learn to beatmatch by ear if you ever make the transition to vinyl.

I guess a really important question to ask is what sorta DJing you plan on doing; do you want to just dj for friends or make the big jump to paid club gigs?

Further, do you plan on djing with scratching, beatmixing and all them fun things, or do you plan on djing in a more traditional "playing a whole buncha songs" manner? I am guessing more the latter given the genres you've listed, but...

The former at first, though I would certainly love the latter if it turned out that I had any talent.

Both, though assumedly I'll have to learn how to select, cue up and transition between songs before I do anything fancy.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2009, 11:40 »

I always wanted to experiment with using one Vinyl TT and a digital/CD TT (As much as I hate them)...

"I CAN PLAY OTHER PEOPLE'S MUSIC!"

So... I want this.

Or...

This

Advice?
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM
Pages: [1]   Go Up