THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 20:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request for PenguiNeckbeard assistance  (Read 3909 times)

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
Request for PenguiNeckbeard assistance
« on: 26 Mar 2009, 05:44 »

After Windows XP has "failed me for the last time" for the last time. I decided to ditch that buggy piece of crap and have switched over to Ubuntu Linux.

So far so awesome. Infinitely superior in every way. (Of particular note is connecting to a wireless network. Seriously, could it possibly be easier?)

I was wondering if there are any suggestions for good, free-to-play MMORPGs that work with Linux. If not that, what's your favorite game? I know that I can still play my old Windows-based games on WINE, but I wanted to see what native Linux-based games are good.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: Request for PenguiNeckbeard assistance
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2009, 07:57 »

Check these out:

Linux Games
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2009, 09:56 »

How extensive is WINE's power, anyway? Do games have to be tailored to work with it or what?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2009, 10:03 »

More information Windows games on Linux using WINE:

Frank's Corner

Kennke's Blog

WINE Headquarters

Have fun!

« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2009, 10:05 by celticgeek »
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Shaolin

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2009, 08:30 »

How extensive is WINE's power, anyway? Do games have to be tailored to work with it or what?

It entirely depends. :D Wine has developed a lot over the last years and months and you can play a lot of games really well with it. How well a game performs under wine can roughly be summed up by two statements: 1. The older the game, the better it runs. 2. The more popular a game, the better it runs.
Pretty simple. A new game that's not played by many might still run quite well if it doesn't use any weird and new effects or gimmicks, but chances are that WoW will always run, while the newest ego-shooter needs some tweaking.
But to answer your question: The game itself does not need to be tailored usually. Either it runs or it doesn't. If it doesn't run you might still be able to fiddle with wine to the point that you can get something out of the game, but usually it's hit or miss.
This is a public service announcement...
With guitar!

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2009, 08:28 »

Thank you to everyone for the help. I've got a lot of good entertainment now.

I also have heard from other sources for good free MMORPGs. I'm planning to try Eternal Lands (instructions for installing through Ununtu here.)

It isn't "pretty", but it does look like it's potentially a lot of fun.

lolwut

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2009, 04:52 »

After Windows XP has "failed me for the last time" for the last time. I decided to ditch that buggy piece of crap and have switched over to Ubuntu Linux.

Don't blame the car because you can't handle its power.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2009, 04:56 »

Hahaha, really? You really just typed that, and then hit "post"?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2009, 07:43 »

Windows can be modified so it can not only run, but run well. But there's not much point and it's too much effort.

I played Eternal Lands a couple of years ago and it wasn't much fun.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2009, 07:49 »

I gotta agree there. At times, it felt like trying to find a diamond ring in a vat of medical waste. Sure, there are several intuitive tools available to help sift through the all the blood and limbs, and the ring at the end is really brilliant, but I'd prefer not having to mess with all the garbage in the first place.

As far as Eternal Lands, do you remember what specifically wasn't fun? Was it something in particular with the game, or does it just attract retards?

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2009, 22:29 »

Gaming on Linux? Off the top of my head there's Tux Racer (got old after 20 minutes), Tux Kart (bleh), Frozen Bubble (Puzzle Bobble clone), SCUMMVM (runs old LucasArts games), the generic games that ship with GNOME and KDE (they're ok) , OpenArena (basically Quake 3 with new graphics), Alien Arena (same deal but with aliens), a couple Tron light cycle games (GLTron is fun), that Super Mario clone with penguins (meh), countless Tetris clones (yay?), WiNE (I never got it working 100%), and console emulators.

Windows can be modified so it can not only run, but run well. But there's not much point and it's too much effort.

1. Install XP
2. Install SP3
3. Install AVG Antivirus
4. Install Firefox or Opera
5. Done

What's so difficult about that? Do you think you have to tweak every aspect of XP to get decent performance out of it?

Yes, the Windows Update system isn't the most streamlined. However, it downloads in the background, installs the updates when you're done using the PC (or when you want it to), and it handles all the installation automatically so you don't have to triple-check that none of your dependencies will break.

Honestly, I tried using Linux as a desktop OS. I really did. For the better part of a year. And it always, always came up short for me. It made me realize how much effort Microsoft puts into making things easy to configure in Windows. Never having to manually edit config files, never installing dozens of packages to get one program running, never having to worry about a system update completely killing the OS (apparently there's a big fiasco with Dell Mini 9 owners and Ubuntu 9)...

I gotta agree there. At times, it felt like trying to find a diamond ring in a vat of medical waste. Sure, there are several intuitive tools available to help sift through the all the blood and limbs, and the ring at the end is really brilliant, but I'd prefer not having to mess with all the garbage in the first place.

^ Exactly my point. I don't want to spend half an hour tweaking primitive web interfaces and config files to print to an HP laser printer directly connected to the same Ethernet switch as my PC, when I can click "add new printer", enter the IP interface, pick the included driver, and be done with it in under 2.

You can't honestly tell me with a straight face that XP is bloated and slow. It was released in 2001, when computers were maybe 1/4 as powerful as what you can get for $300 at Wal-Mart. I have an old Pentium 166 PC with 128 MB of RAM running XP SP3, and it's about as responsive as Ubuntu 9 on my 3.0 ghz Pentium 4 with a gig of RAM. (Fast enough to work but with a very slight, but noticeable, delay to some interface components.) Really, the only way you're going to get tons of bloat is if you use an OEM recovery CD your manufacturer gave you, which will reinstall all the demos and crap it shipped with. And it won't get messed up if you're careful and use some common sense when you go online. (I'm running the same installation as when I built this PC in '05 or '06. It's been updated, but it still runs like the day it was put together.)
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2009, 22:41 by bicostp »

Shaolin

• Plantmonster
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:34 »

This seriously shouldn't be a Linux vs. Windows thread. To cut it short: Even as a complete Linux-Fan, both have a right to exist, both have advantages and disadvantes. There is no way in hell any Windows would be better suited for me than my Linux, but there is also no way in hell any Linux would be better suited for someone who plays a lot of recent games, or doesn't like to edit some config files or even who thinks open source is a wrong concept.

This was about gaming: I strongly recommend Wesnoth - it's a very good turn-based strategy game. Requires a lot of thinking, is well thought through and balanced and by now, even though it is 2d, even looks kinda decent. :)
Also, there is freeciv (you can guess what it is) and of course there are some big games that run natively on Linux, like everything from id or Unreal Tournament. For a heavy gamer, Linux doesn't have to offer much, but seriously, there are way more games for Linux than the rumors say.

@bicostp
It's really biased to just give those 4 pre-installed gnome games as a "reference" to Linux gaming. If you don't like Linux, fine, but don't prevent others from trying it by giving a very uninformed post.
This is a public service announcement...
With guitar!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:58 »

1. Install XP
2. Install SP3
3. Install AVG Antivirus
5. Done

You forgot the most important step of not turning automatic updates off.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2009, 05:21 »

As far as Eternal Lands, do you remember what specifically wasn't fun? Was it something in particular with the game, or does it just attract retards?

It was in very early beta so I can't really judge it from that, but the fact that it's still in beta now doesn't bode well. I just remembered a few more games from my PC gaming days:

I just remembered Wum Online. It was pretty amazing, and I'm sure the idea of heading out into the wilderness and building your own town is appealing to many people. The downside is that it's basically just like heading out into the wilderness and building your own town, so it's like a second job.

There's also Planeshift which I haven't played much, and I haven't played recently. Seems like a fairly interesting and ambitious project though.

Warsow is a really fast paced cel-shaded FPS. Pretty fun, but for me it's not as fun as Enemy Territory.

1. Install tinyXP or nlited XP

FYP. Your windows/linux experience sounds basically the opposite to mine.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:59 »

1. Install XP
2. Install SP3
3. Install Avast Antivirus
5. Done

Fixed.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up