THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Achron: Time Travel in an RTS  (Read 4032 times)

PapaFrita

Achron: Time Travel in an RTS
« on: 16 Apr 2009, 09:37 »

Two videos demonstrate the time-traveling mechanics of the game. It's still very early in development, but it looks damn cool. I just love that if your enemy attacks you in the past, you can respond by attacking her first.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Re: Achron: Time Travel in an RTS
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2009, 10:33 »

I cannot wait to play this.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2009, 11:54 »

Oh this is so clever.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:12 »

I'm very curious how accessible this could possibly be. I love the idea and it looks like it could turn out amazingly well, but I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to wrap my head around this gameplay mechanic.

PapaFrita

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2009, 13:07 »

It'll probably be as difficult as rationalizing any form of time travel, which to me is part of the appeal. I see this as being a game where you have to really be creative with your strategies.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2009, 13:32 »

holy crap that looks confusing. time travel is one of my favorite things so this idea is very appealling to me but RTS games have never been my thing (i prefer slow-paced, turn-based stuff like Civilization) so this will be far too difficult for me to even bother playing.

oh well
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2009, 14:23 »

oh man what the fuck.

This will fuck with my mind.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2009, 17:35 »

This will probably not sell so well, but yeah holy fuck so cool.  They handle the grandfather paradox by oscillating between different states of being and not being for each item that caused the paradox until the time waves fall off the edge of the little display at the bottom, at which time whichever thing is still in existence is permanent.  So if you do it by accident you can go back in time to change it, I guess!

Also, I can see chronorush gambles being a fairly effective anti-noob tactic.  Pump out a couple units, jump them back in time then send them to wherever you think the enemy base is in order to attack their undefended start point.  It might not even be a gamble if the map is 2-player with only two set start areas.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2009, 17:44 »

Most of the comments in that thread are pretty good, but this one sticks out like a sore thumb: "The graphics are wank, so I’m not going to play it."

gg missing the point, chief.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:18 »

This is mindblowing. I am so getting this.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2009, 13:27 »

Man, I love how in that grandfather paradox video he keeps making comments about how "Situations like this are extremely unlikely in the course of normal gameplay."

That sounds like a challenge to me.
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2009, 13:31 »

I almost want to buy this game on principal honestly, even if I have no chance in hell of wrapping my brain around it.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2009, 03:51 »

If you watch all their videos it looks like they've done a great job of making it pretty clear what's going on when. Through their 'timewaves' and their limiting the times you can manipulate to a relatively small area around a sort of a main game time they cut out the worst of the issues you come up with. I just hope they don't make silly mistakes with the regular rts part.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2009, 12:32 »

So, does this game still deserves to be called Real Time Strategy? I doubt it. It's the arrival of the first URTS!

I already found most strategy games complicated, and when they're putting time travel in it I'll probably go crazy. However, the reason I'm bad at a lot of strategy games is because I can't very well anticipate the consequences of my actions, so this might be fun after all.

Hey, is anybody familiar with impulses you get from gaming in real life? Sometimes when I've played a game for a long time, I find myself in real life situations thinking 'I better hit F5'. If I'm gonna get the same with this game, life's gonna get unbearable. :P "How was I ever able to live in a world without time travel?"
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2009, 13:21 »

Oh man. The day I almost googled a walkthrough for a level I was stuck on, then realized the level in question was trouble with my girlfriend in real life, is the day I stopped playing flash puzzle games for a while.
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2009, 05:41 »

You guys are either bullshitting or need some help.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2009, 10:20 »

Also, I can see chronorush gambles being a fairly effective anti-noob tactic.  Pump out a couple units, jump them back in time then send them to wherever you think the enemy base is in order to attack their undefended start point.  It might not even be a gamble if the map is 2-player with only two set start areas.

Yeah, but see the other team can do this as well.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2009, 10:41 »

Yeah, but see the other team can do this as well.

anti-noob tactic.

Its basically on par with the quick zergling rush. Something that will catch newbies off guard but something veterans will be planning for.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.
Pages: [1]   Go Up