THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 10:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Top Albums of 2009: Part I  (Read 187435 times)

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
Re: Top Albums of 2009: Part I
« Reply #550 on: 10 Jan 2010, 05:59 »

I guess you're a bit slow then? I was obviously talking about the Editors. You know, the band that put out an eighties album this year.

you said "80s new wave".

"80s new wave" = talking heads, the cars, the b-52s, yaz, flock of seagulls, and a bunch of other things that this last editors album doesn't sound like.

Man, trying to nail new wave down to a specific couple of bands or even a specific sound is never going to succeed - it's partly why I chose the term in the first place (to avoid random bullshittery regarding genre classifications). A couple of apropos quotes from the ever-reliable Wikipedia...

"Later still, "New Wave" came to imply a less noisy, often synthesizer-based, pop sound."

"The term fell out of favour in the United Kingdom during the early 1980s because its usage had become too general."

It's really not a classification you want to get into a semantic argument about, frankly, which is why I'm not going to! I'm not going to post on this subject again, to let everyone keep posting the far more interesting album lists, but I don't appreciate the combative approach you've taken. My response did make sense, and trying to pretend it doesn't just because I disagree with your opinion on music is...well, I'll avoid summing it up in one word to not continue being combative.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled 2009 album posts :)

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #551 on: 10 Jan 2010, 13:33 »

It's really not a classification you want to get into a semantic argument about

"genre" is not "semantics".  people should not use genre labels unless they have something to back them up with.  otherwise you get people saying "oh, you like industrial music?  check out Stabbing Westward then."

i'm not being "combative" i'm trying to keep a common frame of reference.

on-topic: one of my housemate's played Bitte Orca yesterday while i was trying to sleep off a hangover and i can confidently say that not only do i dislike it, i think it's one of the worst albums i heard all year.  yes including that weezer abortion.  and it's not because of the voice.  it's the absolutely annoying arrangements.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #552 on: 10 Jan 2010, 22:46 »

I am totally apathetic towards Bitte Orca's existence. It's far from the worst album I've heard this year, but it certainly isn't the best.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #553 on: 11 Jan 2010, 10:53 »

fuck, I forgot that I need to fit in Zelienople's "Give it Up" and Black to Comm's "Alphabet 1968" onto my list. Those were both really excellent.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #554 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:23 »

[...]
on-topic: one of my housemate's played Bitte Orca yesterday while i was trying to sleep off a hangover and i can confidently say that not only do i dislike it, i think it's one of the worst albums i heard all year [...]

Is there any music that's great when you're trying to sleep off a hangover?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #555 on: 12 Jan 2010, 13:35 »

Is there any music that's great when you're trying to sleep off a hangover?

labradford usually works wonders for me.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #556 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:27 »

Stars of the Lid works every time.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up