THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: She dreamed a dream :o  (Read 2623 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
She dreamed a dream :o
« on: 18 Apr 2009, 07:11 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Many of you have probably already seen this, but I thought some of the others might appreciate it :)

I got all teary-eyed... and yeah, I admit it, much of my appreciation has to do with her appearance and the surprise. And her age, and her less-than-glamorous life. That she's dreamed a dream and held on to it for all this time and may now be on the way to realising it :o

That's pretty heartwarming says I, without any shame *sniffles*
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Re: She dreamed a dream :o
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:41 »

Good for her!

However, the way the show set it up was pretty terrible.  Jim Emerson hit the nail on the head here.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2009, 09:18 »

I'd heard about this but due to my loathing of reality TV i hadn't seen it before. This isn't the first time somebody has come out of the unknown to amaze the viewers but thats not to take away from the fact that it was a sensational performance.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2009, 10:10 »

Good for her!

However, the way the show set it up was pretty terrible.  Jim Emerson hit the nail on the head here.

I thought the judges' comments about her were kinda condescending, even after she absolutely nailed the song—"everyone was laughing at you," etc.  Why emphasize that?  I thought Simon Cowell, who was easily the most dismissive beforehand, had the best tone afterwards despite his facetiousness.

The thing is, they didn't need to add any additional set-up.  Her story is straight out of a Lifetime film as it is.  She was mocked for learning disabilities as a child, never married, was unemployed and took care of her mother until she died.  Shit, her performance on the show was the first time she publicly sang after her mother died, and that's because her mom had told her to take chances in achieving her dream.  So she goes on national TV, completely unknown, and delivers a spectacular performance.  It's perfect as is.

I hope good things happen for her.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2009, 10:18 by rynne »
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft
Pages: [1]   Go Up