THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 03:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Guitarist  (Read 19198 times)

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
Re: Favourite Guitarist
« Reply #100 on: 08 Jun 2009, 15:24 »

I've heard Pete Townshend say in several interviews that you have to put Hendrix in context.  Here's the Billboard Top 100 from 1965- http://longboredsurfer.com/charts.php?year=1965 .  Bands like Herman's Hermits, and Petula Clark are topping the charts; the wildest thing on there is the Rolling Stones.  Now imagine after thinking the Stones were a dangerous band seeing Jimi Hendrix in 1966 with the afro, and the scarves - a guy who actually uses that distortion that some bands are just slightly experimenting with to get their guitar tone to break up, cranking it up until it shakes an auditorium, and actively controlling the feedback until the guitar screams and wails.  And then, when you think you've seen and heard everything, he destroys his guitar on stage and LIGHTS IT ON FUCKING FIRE after acting like he's been having sex with it for the last hour.  Forget about it; no matter how revolutionary you thought your little blues based band was up to that point with its light sexual innuendos a la "I can't get no satisfaction" and its horribly copped Robert Johnson licks, you are nothing. 

Townshend claims he turned to Paul McCartney in the late 60's after seeing Hendrix and said they were finished.  Clapton reportedly cried after seeing him, and tried to make emulations of his style for years afterward.  I imagine those are exaggerations, but the point is the same-the guy was beyond visionary for his time.   

(Ed. Note:  For the record, I onn all of 2 Hendrix cds and rarely listen to him as I find it a little dated.  Point still stands, the guy's a genius).
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2009, 17:39 by Chad K. »

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 09 Jun 2009, 08:57 »

J Mascis, Doug Martsch, David Gilmour, George Harrison, Bob Mould, The dude from Television who's name I don't feel like looking up, The Johnnies Marr and Greenwood, basically people I sound like when I solo.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2009, 08:59 by boneykingofnowhere »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #102 on: 09 Jun 2009, 10:13 »

Guys you remember how I was talking about Brent Mason

this will melt your brain

Yeah I wanna see any motherfucker even try to match this guy's style. Closest anybody has ever come was Albert Lee. How'd that happen? Because Brent Mason is IMITATING ALBERT LEE, but being better at it than him.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #103 on: 09 Jun 2009, 10:39 »

I hope nobody tries to match his style.  I have much more respect for a musician if they have their own style than if they imitate (even if they are "better at it").

Same goes for writing your own songs instead of covering.
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

Zingoleb

« Reply #104 on: 09 Jun 2009, 16:08 »

It all depends on talent, to be honest.

I could write an original song composed of only two power chords and lots of screaming, or do covers of songs and do a good job at it.

Or speaking in a broader sense than songs, and the actual sound - once more it goes back to talent. What did Stevie Ray Vaughan do? The blues. Yep. That's about it. He really didn't come up with new ideas, he just did what's been around forever, he just did it insanely well.

Meanwhile, the Beatles really broke new ground with Revolution #9, but it's not like I'm ever going ot listen to it.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #105 on: 10 Jun 2009, 14:28 »

You make a good point, monsieur.
They say the Joker is a wanted man...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up