THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pete Wentz is actually a pretty cool guy  (Read 10737 times)

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
Pete Wentz is actually a pretty cool guy
« on: 26 Apr 2009, 12:46 »

First off, I do not like Fall Out Boy at all, in fact, I have very opposite feeling for their music. But I was at the Rescue in DC and he talked to us and he was a really cool guy, like, seriously. Him an Patrick Stump were both there, actually, and both were really sincere about the cause, and made several jokes about how Fall Out Boy is a not-so-good band. Pete called himself a douchebag at some point, I think. Or maybe he was referring to the whole band, I forget.

But Fall Out Boy is besides the point. The thing is, he's a pretty cool guy and he really cares for the children in Northern Uganda and it's awesome that he does because he's famous and can totally bring way more attention to it than most people.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 13:02 by A Shoggoth on the Roof »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
Re: Pete Wentz is actually a pretty cool guy
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2009, 12:54 »

pete wentz also gets forgiveness points for being reinforcements on bass for racetraitor, as a pack of wolves pointed out back when he posted.

racetraitor was pretty fuckin' nuts.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2009, 13:02 »

yea, I've got that one album of theirs, and it's freakin' amazing.

by the way, you people should check out the cause if you're not familiar with it. I wrote a bit in the blog thread about it, and the link should explain some (I'm putting better link in) [/end non-music related]

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2009, 17:34 »

This sums up my views on the thread title perfectly.

There is simply no truth to that. Sorry.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2009, 18:01 »

Sometimes celebrities are actually *less* douchebaggy than we think they are, Ben Affleck for example, from what I've heard about him out of Kevin Smith's mouth he hates all the attention he gets and is actually a pretty cool dude.

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2009, 18:04 »

there is simply no truth to that. sorry

you know how like you can be analyzing a book and then like it's open to interpretation but then if you offer an explanation involving a dance-off and a guardian squirrel, then, even though technically it's an opinion, and the book doesn't flat-out contradict your theory, it turns out your opinion is actually wrong? like, flat out incorrect?

this is one of those moments

I mean seriously, the guy made it really obvious that he truly cares about this cause, and that's amazing, because he's really famous, and, instead of doing stupid publicity stunts to sell more albums, he's going out to events like the Rescue, and rallying to bring the developed world's attention to problem in other parts of the world that we have the power to fix.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 18:18 by A Shoggoth on the Roof »

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2009, 18:16 »

There is simply no truth to that. Sorry.

sean

• welp
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2009, 18:30 »

the whole situation is really a shame. pete wentz would actually have a lot of punx cred if he didn't piss it all away with fall out boy. but you have to admit he has sinned very badly with fall out boy. he can probably never be fully forgiven.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2009, 18:34 »

well yea, fall out boy is terrible, miserable, shit. but pointing out that he's in a shitty band and therefore a complete loser is kind of missing the point here.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2009, 18:47 »

Actually, part of my annoyance towards this is that by being a 'celebrity' of sorts it seems to need to be said that Pete Wentz actually does these things. There are plenty of people everywhere who don't get the coverage that he does who do much more of this kind of work on a much more regular basis. There are people on this forum who have already done more volunteer work than he will ever do and haven't received any reward for it either.

Basically, to sum up, Pete Wentz has done what i would expect any person to do at some time in their lives and has volunteered his time for a cause he believes in.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2009, 18:55 »

Actually, part of my annoyance towards this is that by being a 'celebrity' of sorts it seems to need to be said that Pete Wentz actually does these things. There are plenty of people everywhere who don't get the coverage that he does who do much more of this kind of work on a much more regular basis.

like bono

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2009, 19:02 »

I feel like, when people like senators or members of parliament or celebrities notice a cause it's rewarding if you've been supporting it and volunteering because it shows that the word is getting out there and people are noticing. It's like, all that work is finally showing results. And he can use the press coverage he's got to bring press coverage to those people who have been doing much more of this work on a much more regular basis, which is what he's doing. Also I fully believe he would do charity work if he wasn't famous, as long as he was privileged enough to have time and money to spare. He is human after all, and it's nice to be reminded of that sometimes. Getting annoyed at him because he's famous isn't very rational thinking.

also,
There are people on this forum who have already done more volunteer work than he will ever do and haven't received any reward for it either.

seriously? reward for volunteer work? that is not what the word volunteer means to me, I dunno about you.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2009, 19:24 »

No, you have missed my point completely. It was that Pete Wentz is receiving reward just by people noticing him being there.

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2009, 19:34 »

He is not going to sell a significantly greater number of albums just because he was there. Most of us were definitely not his target audience, and his name is already fucking everywhere. The name that's getting spread further is Invisible Children, which would be the volunteers doing more work. Also, after listening to his speech, he was totally sincere about it. It would be different if it seemed like he was just there to join in on the publicity, but he definitely came off more as if he was there to share his publicity with Invisible Children and the people up in Northern Uganda. (read: he cares about this)

Besides, what kind of fucked up person looks at children being forced into the army, forced to kill friends and family from their village at a young age, and mutilated as punishment(ears, lips, nose cut off), and then thinks "I can totally cash in on this, make a profit." It's not really much of a moral grey area here, Joseph Kony's pretty fucking out there, and he needs to be stopped.

but whatever, the point is, he is human, even if he's in a shitty band, and there's no point on judging him differently just because he's famous. Get the full story, then decide whether or not you think he sincerely cares for the cause, then judge him.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2009, 20:17 »

Am I the only one here who thinks the dude makes alright pop-rock that plenty of people can just enjoy?

I mean seriously, he's good at what he does and should be congratulated in capitalist sense even though personally, I'd rather be bummed by a big, hairy leather daddy named  'Sweetie Pie' in a prison shower block than listen to any of it.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2009, 20:21 »

I firmly believe that FOB's first album is a rock-solid pop punk album and thoroughly enjoyable.  Just, the next three were pretty awful.

Also:

Racetraitor is pretty much the funniest metalcore band, barring Five Finger Death Punch.

Fixed for ya.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 20:24 by imapiratearg »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2009, 21:36 »

Racetraitor is pretty much the funniest metalcore band, barring Shark Punch

Why is one of the 'related videos' for this Shame On A Nigga?
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2009, 21:53 »

I will never understand why I know/read about so many people who dislike Fall Out Boy.  I have From Under the Cork Tree, and it's a pretty good album.  Plus I saw them live last night and it was a pretty okay show.  Like, they're definitely far from the best band I know, but they're also very far from the shit that I hear people talk about them.

I'm actually kind of glad I saw this thread.  Pete Wentz took like five minutes between two songs last night to talk about something, but goddamn he was stoned out of his mind (read: it was hilarious) and I had no idea what he was talking about.  I think this is it.

And to address the issue of whether or not Pete Wentz deserves any recognition for the work he's doing, it's a bit of a two-sided coin here.  Yes, he is still human and is getting a lot more recognition than the average Joes who do this sort of work day in and day out, but think about how many celebrities make a little money and then just go apeshit insane.  The Lindsay Lohans and what have you, that after their career takes a good turn, they get a bunch of DUIs and/or busted for coke possession or what have you.  The people defending Pete Wentz here are saying, yes, he's getting more attention for his work, but he's doing so in a position that a lot of other people would abuse, but instead he's using his fame and resources to further a good cause.  I say good work, Mr. Wentz.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

zerobar

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2009, 22:44 »

I firmly believe that FOB's first album is a rock-solid pop punk album and thoroughly enjoyable.  Just, the next three were pretty awful.

Also:

Racetraitor is pretty much the funniest metalcore band, barring Five Finger Death Punch.

Fixed for ya.

Agreed, I actually bought their first album after I saw the one and ONLY time their video played on Much Music (Fuse now). I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it now, but at the time, in middle school, I thought I was hot shit for being the one person i knew who heard of them.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2009, 11:22 »

You're probably right.  I just remember their sound being somewhere between metalcore and thrash metal, but incredibly ridiculous.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2009, 11:39 »

You're probably right.  I just remember their sound being somewhere between metalcore and thrash metal, but incredibly ridiculous.

This is a really strange concept since the two genres approach the same idea from opposite perspectives. How does one achieve this?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2009, 14:49 »

I've not heard much of Racetraitor, but what I have heard makes me like Pete Wentz and whoever that cunt is on drums a tad more.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:52 »

The last time I was at a music shop, I tried out Squier's Pete Wentz signature P-Bass.

...it's actually a nice bass for the money, and the neck is comfortable.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr 2009, 04:22 »

I would've honest to god bought that bass if it didn't have the stupid bat-thing logo on it and also Pete Wentz' name I guess. Red and black P-bass? Yes please.

Am I the only one here who thinks the dude makes alright pop-rock that plenty of people can just enjoy?

I mean seriously, he's good at what he does and should be congratulated in capitalist sense even though personally, I'd rather be bummed by a big, hairy leather daddy named  'Sweetie Pie' in a prison shower block than listen to any of it.

This, pretty much. The addition of the phrase "capitalist sense" is somewhat telling. It's entirely possible FOB would be one of my favourite bands if they all weren't the most eager little cocksuckers in the entire world. Fall Out Boy basically go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to selling out. All of their film clips have more product placement than band footage. One of their tours had "Honda Civic" as the headliner, i.e; the Honda Civic logo was above and in larger type than FOB's name. The band makes nice pop music and Pat Stump can sing like a motherfucker but I just can not bring myself to support a band with such naked greed.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2009, 05:01 »

Yeah, exactly, Dovey. Graphics aside, it's a nice looking and nice sounding bass.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2009, 06:09 »

Racetraitor is hilarious when you consider that their drummer went on to be in Fall Out Boy.

Interesting career arc if you think about it.

Especially since he also had a brief turn in Vegan Reich when they released the 'Jihad' EP. I wonder how easy it is to stay hardline when you're in Fall Out Boy. It's odd, but 'Burn The Idol Of The White Messiah' really is great. It has a wonderful feeling of chaos similar to the best screamo and I still have it on regular rotation.

This is a really strange concept since the two genres approach the same idea from opposite perspectives. How does one achieve this?

Back in the day metalcore was all about hardcore bands that really liked Slayer. At least that's what the blueprint of all those bands like Liar, Congress, Unborn etc. seemed to me.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2009, 06:22 »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2009, 07:49 »

Now that is an odd coincidence.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #28 on: 01 May 2009, 14:19 »

All of their film clips have more product placement than band footage.

My older cousin tried to convince me that they were just being ironic.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #29 on: 01 May 2009, 18:33 »

IT'S NOT IRONIC WHEN YOU'RE STILL GETTING PAID

Nodaisho

« Reply #30 on: 01 May 2009, 19:05 »

Sure it is, it's just ironic in a lucrative way.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots
Pages: [1]   Go Up