THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 20:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is bad music?  (Read 33574 times)

trr005

• Emoticontraindication
Re: What is bad music?
« Reply #50 on: 18 Mar 2010, 10:57 »

Not at all, no.  Haha.  But it's definitely interesting.  I'm hoping more people will post some opinions before the end though.
I wish you health, I wish you wheels, I wish you wealth. I wish you insight so you could see for yourself.

trr005

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #51 on: 18 Mar 2010, 10:58 »

And I've actually gotten a decent amount of surveys filled out.  I think the count is at 50 total with this thread and my friends.  I'll be sure to post the results.
I wish you health, I wish you wheels, I wish you wealth. I wish you insight so you could see for yourself.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #52 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:24 »

I tried filling out that survey but it was so badly designed I had to give up. I don't use genre as my primary determining factor in whether I like or dislike a piece of music as the survey essentially presumes so I would have had to enter N/A for those two questions, nor do I listen to music exclusively on mp3 so I don't know how many individual tracks I have so that one was out too. It's not like I'm going to bother going through all my records counting them all, and since the number of tracks per release ranges from 1 to over 100 even coming to an average would be too much work. And the last question is broken, it won't let you enter the same value for both categories.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #53 on: 18 Mar 2010, 14:31 »

What is bad surveys?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #54 on: 19 Mar 2010, 03:18 »

Who ever said that bad music is soulless is, well, right.

The pinnacle of this, to me, is Celine Dion.

The songs that I've heard from her are all perfect, in the sense of them being in mint condition. Not a crack in the voice, not a bum note on any instrument, production awesome etc. etc.

And it feels deader than dead to me. There's never a crack in the voice to indicate that the singer meant it. Never a note which is slightly off that indicates that the feeling of the track was so awesome that the producer just kept that version in spite of the miss-cue.

I like a little passion, please.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Durin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #55 on: 21 Mar 2010, 10:37 »

Bad music to me constitutes a lack of passion.

I don't know I think Ke$ha is really passionate about what she does but Tik Tok is still a crappy song.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2010, 10:40 by Durin »

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #56 on: 21 Mar 2010, 11:53 »

Bad music to me constitutes a lack of passion.

If you don't believe in what you're doing or don't want to do it, or if you're just a shameless product of committee thinking then I'll likely have no interest. Manufactured pop music is not necessarily an example of this because a lot of people who end up in manufactured groups have a real passion for what they're doing and some of them even evolve into legitimate artists in their own right - Take That, for example.

The other example is when someone has such talent that they can just fart out amazing music. Like Tupac Shakur, who essentially tossed off arguably rap's greatest album in 1996.

I have to disagree here, because I hear tons of crap music that I think is sincerely made by passionate people.  People can be incredibly passionate and still come up with generic, rote garbage.  (Think of how many shit, third-rate punk bands you've heard genuinely screaming their little hearts out, for example.)

If I had to come up with what makes bad music, I think I'd have to put it on a two-axis rating of Originality and Craftsmanship.  Originality is the novelty of the music: how much the music presents sounds, concepts, production, etc. in manners that we haven't heard before.  Craftsmanship more represents the technical skill of putting a track together: the appropriateness of the chord changes, the inherent poetry of the lyrics, and so on.  Great music has high levels of both Originality and Craftsmanship.  Bad music has neither.  

That being said, I think the relative importance of Originality vs. Craftsmanship will vary wildly from person to person.  For me the Originality axis is the more important of the two, which is to say I'd rather listen to a poorly-produced piece of music that has a unique vision than an exquisitely crafted piece of music that offers nothing new to the listener.  
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2010, 11:54 by rynne »
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #57 on: 22 Mar 2010, 04:05 »

I wasn't saying that lack of passion is the ONLY component of bad music. I just mean that is the key component to a lot of music that sucks as far as I'm concerned.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #58 on: 22 Mar 2010, 10:54 »

Define 'bad'.
Frankly, most music sucks, doesn't it? The important thing is the reason why it sucks. It doesn't matter how much something sucks if it's sucking for the right reasons. I've spent some time trying to work out what those reasons aren't, but everytime I think I've found some 'rule', I've also found too many exceptions to make it plausible.

Something that holds true for my own music library and tastes, but almost certainly not everybody elses, is the intent. Why the music came into existence. Who is the target audience, why was it written and who made it. Again, there are exceptions, some fantastic pop songs came into existence due to the wants of some very unscrupulous people. For the overwhelming majority though, what I think 'sucks' is largely inspired by who's selling and profitting from it. Not because of the artist. I believe that in most circumstances, musicians are actually working againsts their labels to make a good album. You find, with major record companies especially, that there's a lot compromise involved. The artists can write an absolutely fantastic album, only to have it handed back to them and be told to restructure it, re-record the drums, remove some tracks, and add a few marketable singles.
I didn't want to believe any of this was true, but I began working with people who'd actually found themselves in those exact circumstances, and not just with major record companies.

A lot of music sucks because it's the music that a record company wants it's musicians to manufacture. Not because it's what the musicians want to create.

Of course, musicians are perfectly capable of making shitty records on their own, but it's much easier to do so when they have a ridiculous budget and a manifesto handed down to them by people who want to force the band onto a particular target market. I don't think it's too unlikely that a lot of musicians who suck have the same mentality and approach as the major record companies anyway.

Remember that popular music now is made to be disposable. It's not about creating a lasting work of art. It's all about the immediate profit. Anybody with even a cursory knowledge of how major record companies operate will have a hard time denying this. Even the best pop songs these days are ruined by the practice of manifacturing immediate pop hits. Entire albums can be ruined by shameless production techniques and cheap sales tactics.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #59 on: 22 Mar 2010, 23:24 »

Remember that popular music now is made to be disposable.

I take issue with your use of the word "now."

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #60 on: 24 Mar 2010, 17:54 »

alex, i am concerned about yr lack of commitment to the revival of proto-cuddle-core.

very concerned.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: 24 Mar 2010, 18:01 »

I'll cuddle your core

If by

core

you mean

enormous phallus

and cuddle you mean

suckle upon like 'twere the teat of the primal godcow
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #62 on: 24 Mar 2010, 18:04 »

i have no idea what niche make believe genre box those lyrics would fit into at all.
splendid.

keep up the strong boarding khar.
<3

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #63 on: 24 Mar 2010, 18:52 »

Remember that popular music now is made to be disposable.

Planned Disposability is not an indicator of quality anyway. I doubt that many people in the Brill Building or Motown wrote pieces with timelessness in mind and yet they crafted songs that are better than most.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #64 on: 24 Mar 2010, 18:58 »

It is difficult being singlemindedly dedicated to cuddlecore revivalism when I am being continually distracted by The Birthday Party, Björk, and witch house.

@Emilio

Right. Music made with no thought for the future can be brilliant, and it has been for a long time. Of course, it can easily be shite, but that's the nature of things.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #65 on: 24 Mar 2010, 19:15 »

I'll cuddle your core

If by

core

you mean

enormous phallus

and cuddle you mean

suckle upon like 'twere the teat of the primal godcow

fuckin' sigged
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #66 on: 24 Mar 2010, 19:18 »

though not a music aficionado, i think bad music is music that you didn't even perform, write, produce or in anyway create.

everything else really just boils down to taste and preference. I hate Deerhoof too but i bet there are plenty of people out there that love them and ever other band i can't stand.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #67 on: 24 Mar 2010, 19:26 »

Mass production of bands is a fairly recent phenomenon that's only come about in the last maybe 40 years, and truly peaked in the 90s. There was once a time before thousands upon thousands of bands were being worked upon simultaneously by record companies all going through the same process of creating the same album through the exact same template with a different name and face. Even just twenty years ago, things were a little looser and artists were given a lot more creative freedom. Music has always been made to sell, but it used to be chosen based on more criteria than 'can we market this to casual music listeners aged 13 to 28'.

The face of popular music has definitely changed over the decades, and it's not because of rose tinted glasses, bad bands slipping through the cracks of time, and the need of the older generation to dislike what the kids are up to. While people who consume music grow older, the market itself doesn't change. Music is made to cater to a certain audience, and once you age past that, you're past it. So essentially, popular music has always been made for young people.
Compare the music for the young people of yesterday to the music for the young people today, and there's a clear difference in terms of recording and production. The quality of a song and the quality of the recording/production aren't mutually exclusive. Good songs are still being written all the time, but are often ruined by poor performances, rushed recording and illinformed production techniques. Yet, these songs cost millions of pounds.

Major record companies don't spend millions of pounds to ruin the production because they're stupid. They do it because those techniques provide an immediate 'hit' for the listener. These aren't neccessarily 'bad' producers, they're just a whole different breed of producer. While over time, it begins to sound horrible and grating, upon first listen it sticks far better than a more faithful/realistic recording of music. These same techniques are applied to countless records released all for the same purpose. The people involved aren't paid to record music. They're paid to record a disposable product, and that, they are very very good at. Why pay somebody to make something sound good, when you can get away with making a cheaper, more immediate, product?
Thirty years ago, that didn't matter. Recordings were still faithful and realistic. They were made to sell, sure,  but weren't made to be disposable. Not in the same way I'm talking about.

Back when, it was about creating a product that would be good enough to be popular and sell by the thousands. Gradually, practices changed as companies realised that products didn't have to stand up to the test of time or sound good in order to generate a profit.
Popular music now is about selling people a product before they realise how poor the quality is.

So yes, popular music is disposable 'now'.
You use it, you're done with it, you throw it away. The aural equivalent of toilet paper.

Zingoleb

« Reply #68 on: 24 Mar 2010, 19:30 »

I don't know about you, but when I buy toilet paper I make sure it doesn't come with the shit already on it.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #69 on: 25 Mar 2010, 16:14 »

How about this:

Bad music is music that never evolves, never tries new things. Every album they produce sounds exactly they same.

(Nickelback amirite?)
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #70 on: 25 Mar 2010, 16:56 »

Depends on what you think of Iron Maiden and AC/DC  :wink:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #71 on: 25 Mar 2010, 17:43 »

Good call on the AC/DC thing (I happen to like them and Iron Maiden) but there's no denying they're not exactly redefining themselves.

Nickelback does suck, though.  Surprised they hadn't come up before now.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2010, 12:55 by The Duke »
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #72 on: 25 Mar 2010, 20:36 »

It's usually not very drastic but I'd say that Iron Maiden do change from album to album, at least as much as most bands.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #73 on: 25 Mar 2010, 22:27 »

Depends on what you think of Iron Maiden and AC/DC  :wink:

Never listened to them actually.

Mein Tumblr

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #74 on: 25 Mar 2010, 22:29 »

</thread>

Agree 1000x

Worst
Band
Of
All
Time
boldly going nowhere

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #75 on: 25 Mar 2010, 22:47 »

But they just wanna get freakky now

Mein Tumblr

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #76 on: 26 Mar 2010, 00:27 »

I think Iron Maiden have alot more sort of moody and low key songs (or song parts) these days than they used to.  if that counts.  As compared to Powerslave and Piece of Mind, anyway.

Certainly their production sounds quite different now, at least.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2010, 00:32 by Damnable Fiend »
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #77 on: 26 Mar 2010, 02:34 »

A Matter of Life and Death also had a lot of epic tunes with long instrumental sections and (canned) string sections and wotnot, almost bordering on "prog", dare I say it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #78 on: 26 Mar 2010, 08:43 »

Iron Maiden evolve as much from album to album as any other rock band. They don't suddenly switch genres, but, for example, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is demonstrably different to Killers. A band like Iron Maiden can't really be said to be formulaic in the same way as Nickelback or AC/DC, who both just write the same fucking song over and over again; they're largely centred around one idea, yes, but that idea is an unstoppable guitar duo/trio backed up by arguably one of the best rhythm sections in heavy metal, or just in rock in general, and, ideally Bruce motherfucking Dickinson wailing over the top. They don't need to change their fundamental formula because they are actually a great song-writing team who write consistently interesting, if immediately identifiable, music.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #79 on: 26 Mar 2010, 12:54 »

Agreed.  I am a lot less experienced with Iron Maiden than I am with AC/DC, but I would say that you're right.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #80 on: 26 Mar 2010, 13:04 »

He is.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #81 on: 26 Mar 2010, 16:13 »

Bad Religion hasn't evolved at all. Their music today sounds the same as it did in the 80's and i would never consider it to be bad music.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #82 on: 26 Mar 2010, 16:23 »

Or rather, when they wrongheadedly tried to evolve they got reamed for it and never made that mistake again.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2010, 16:25 by rynne »
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #83 on: 26 Mar 2010, 17:43 »

That is actually the best Bad Religion song I've ever heard.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #84 on: 26 Mar 2010, 21:07 »

Also, The Process of Belief, which for most of the album's runtime is also quite a lot different that the standard melodic hardcore template BR practice, is by far the best thing the band have ever put out.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #85 on: 27 Mar 2010, 13:37 »

i used to know a guy that liked br at some point. what the fuck happened to that dude.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #86 on: 28 Mar 2010, 10:42 »

My guess? His 16th birthday.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #87 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:04 »

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #88 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:21 »

It is bad music, if this woman is in any way involved:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #89 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:42 »

Oh hey, Dovey, isn't that dude like, Fred Frith's brother.

If so, he is probably pretty awesome.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #90 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:48 »

Interesting stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up