THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: I Like Hardcore Music. Do You Like Hardcore Music? - SAM, YOU MUST POST!  (Read 257405 times)

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Land Speed Record by Husker Du was the first hadcore album, Nervous Breakdown was an EP.

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT MAN, i'm from THAT BOSTON!!!  a guy i went to school with is in a band called Burning the Prospect with the old singer from Patient Zero, and they're signed to the afro-haired guy from napalm death's record label now!  i've actually seen patient zero live a few times, but i stopped going to those gigs, because the people who went got REALLY elitist, although i've heard that sorta mentality has died down of late (so i might check out a few gigs next time i'm home from uni).

you from Bost-hole too then?

Nah, I'm a Leeds boy. Boston's cultivated quite a reputation for itself though, I've heard from people who've played that the gigs down there are pretty crazy and I always had a massive love for Urko. I still say their split with Minute Manifesto is one of the best split LPs of all time. It's a real shame to hear about the elitism since I'd always heard Boston had a lot of nice people, Leeds has been accused of that a fair few times itself and not without some cause I think. Try not to let it keep you from the gigs though, the elitists usually decide they're "so over it" after a while and shove off never to be seen again so it's usually alright in the end. Burning The Prospect are pretty decent, although sometimes I think their d-beat is a bit unimaginative. They're definitely solid though, and they kick out a big sound.

Re: Have Heart - There's a lot of Bridge9 hardcore that I don't like, but I've heard nothing but good things about these guys. Since I dug that Defeater record so much, maybe this is the time for me to check them out.

Give them a try. Bridge 9 really isn't my kind of hardcore but I downloaded Have Heart's The Things They Carry on a whim and I was pleasantly surprised. It's pretty cheesy but then again so are American Nightmare and they were always fun. Glad I was never near the front at any of their gigs though, people would just get ridiculous when they played.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you

Throwdown - Drive Me Dead
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fjyljgu1o2eWhen rich kids from Orange County, California make hardcore. Before these guys were a Pantera cover band, they were an Adamantium cover band. Jun jun wah wah.

ADAMANTIUM - From The Depths Of Depression
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cp90nfwars2Adamantium was to Southern California what Converge was to Boston. yep. it's that good. Too bad these dudes didn't stick it out for another album.

Never Give In: A Tribute To Bad Brains
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jdymigomm2iCave In, Ignite, Adamantium, and Boysetsfire are all on this which makes it double win cause they're playing Bad Brains songs.

Drowningman - How They Light Cigarettes In Prison EP
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vpiwbjyjfztRemember when that whining vocals in between shrieking was cool in hardcore? Well out of the all the wieners that tried it, DROWNINGMAN were the only ones who didn't make is gay. Why? Cause instead of having lyrics about how much they miss their girlfriend, they instead wrote songs about knife fights, "bending back the gates of hell to ride", prison inmates getting shanked when the lights go out and other awesome things.  It's like Scorsese's hardcore: style, brutality and rock. highly recommended.

Drowningman - Rock n Roll Killing Machine
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0mvqm1ry5mqDrowningman in the red. Their most cohesive release they album is a their heaviest and best written. This album is why Dillinger Escape Plan has to coat their new sound with Mr Bungle/NiN electronic shit, they sounded too much Drowningman.

Ink & Dagger - The Fine Art Of Original Sin
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wmq2mzgi1jwYa know how REFUSED got the idea to incorporate drum samples into their music? They toured the US with Ink & Dagger. HIGHLY, HIGHLY UNDER APPRECIATED BAND.

The Wipers - Is This Real?
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cngqyjynyabAnother band that somehow gets left out of punk/hardcore doc's (but they always jock the New York Dolls  D:). One of Kurt Cobain's favorite bands. Nirvana covers the song "D-7"

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you

Please excuse spelling and grammar. I'm typing in a fit of beer and joy.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)

Burn It Down - "Let The Dead Bury The Dead"
One of the best shows I ever saw was Burn It Down with Zao in 2001, in a barn in Hershey, Pennsylvania on Halloween night. They played a rather angry mix of hardcore and metal, long before it was the thing to do. They didn't look like a metalcore band. Their singer Ryan Downey wore khakis and a button down shirt, not ironically either. They released a split with Racetraitor (who of course turned to shit but now make lots of money as members of Fall Out Boy) and went on to form the short-lived Equal Vision band Time In Malta. Check out their not-at-all-original but hells-of-awesome cover of Paint It Black.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=456d122c0a9fa285a0f2f20c509059d9d74c000ff76c3964c95965eaa7bc68bc
« Last Edit: 04 May 2009, 19:37 by Will »
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you

Oh and some Quicksand is on the way...

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit

Coma Eternal - I am the End

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?el3ykziwzwt
Members of the formidable metalcore band Nehemiah and (along with 7 Angels 7 Plagues) the midwest's seminal metalcore band End This Day went on to form Coma Eternal.  A short lived (as is probably best in the varying hardcore scenes) project that produced a four track EP.  Technical but still  approachable (often it sounds like the drums are off with the guitars but it all works out by the end of the phrase), the vocals carry the range that I think is best for metalcore: not too low and pig-ish (not that I mind that) and not too pterodactyl-y (not that I mind that).  This is probably, pound for pound, my favorite metalcore/hardcore recording of all time.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

Holy crap this thread rules.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras

I also got to see By The Grace of God's last show at Krazyfest in Louisville, Kentucky.  They were on forever, and at one point the members from Endpoint all joined on stage for some tunes, and they played one Guilt song.  Pretty crazy stuff.

I saw Stretch Armstrong at that same festival with Drowningman and Dillinger Escape Plan. All great live bands.  I'm not sure if that festival is still around, or if it is still put on in the same vein, but it was great.  All indie rock and Hardcore bands randomly playing one right after the other and sticking around the whole three days to walk around and talk with everybody and support each other.  To see two somewhat conflicting "scenes" collaborating with each other was pretty cool. 

Re: Quicksand.  I'm not sure that's hardcore, but frankly I don't care.  That band is fucking amazing.  Also, if you put Quicksand in here, I think it's fair to mention Season to Risk's "In a Perfect World."  So...Fucking...Good.

Will

Oh man, I always loved Stretch Arm Strong. I saw them live a bunch of times, and every time they just looked so damn happy to be on stage, it made me smile.

Guy from The Red Chord is the same way, which is kind of funny given how tough and mean his band sounds. I'm a big fan of hardcore and metal bands that have the balls to admit they're actually having fun.

In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

While we're on the subject of Quicksand, can we just get this can of worms out of the way--am I the only one who thinks Rival Schools aren't very good? Like, at all? Am I missing something? They just sound like a heavier version of Foo Fighters-lite to me.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

I think that is actually a pretty apt comparison on some of their songs, actually. I like them because of memories.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

While we're on the subject of Quicksand, can we just get this can of worms out of the way--am I the only one who thinks Rival Schools aren't very good? Like, at all? Am I missing something? They just sound like a heavier version of Foo Fighters-lite to me.

I always thought Walter Schreifels' career was one of constant decline. Walking Concert were awful, Rival Schools were bad, Quicksand were OK, Project X were fun, Youth of Today were pretty shit hot and Gorilla Biscuits were almighty. If this continues presumably he will eventually release the worst record known to humanity. So no, you're not alone.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

Well, Rival Schools got back together and are putting out a new record this year. Taking bets it's gonna be this one?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Man, I love the Rival Schools record and can't wait for the new one.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Well, Rival Schools got back together and are putting out a new record this year. Taking bets it's gonna be this one?

I'll stick a fiver on that. After all, this is subsequent to him buying into the whole hardcore reunions crap (bands really need to knock this shit off immediately, I do not want to see you play decades-old songs for cash thanks. It is only acceptable if you're doing benefit gigs like Kid Dynamite and Unbroken) so it could be the one.

Will

Re: Have Heart - There's a lot of Bridge9 hardcore that I don't like, but I've heard nothing but good things about these guys. Since I dug that Defeater record so much, maybe this is the time for me to check them out.

Give them a try. Bridge 9 really isn't my kind of hardcore but I downloaded Have Heart's The Things They Carry on a whim and I was pleasantly surprised. It's pretty cheesy but then again so are American Nightmare and they were always fun. Glad I was never near the front at any of their gigs though, people would just get ridiculous when they played.

Gave this one a listen last night, not bad at all. definitely the vein of hardcore I like. Before I can commit to saying I dig this band, I'll have to check out their lyrics, but I'm definitely into what I've heard so far.

Also on Bridge 9 - I don't have any of their music myself, but Ceremony is easily one of the most amazingly violent bands I have ever seen. I caught them last month on their tour with Pulling Teeth, Converge, Coliseum, and Rise & Fall (Holy SHIT was that an awesome lineup) and they blew my mind. If anyone has their "Violence Violence" LP handy, you should post it.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit

I'm a big fan of hardcore and metal bands that have the balls to admit they're actually having fun.

Dude from Early Graves is the same way.  I only recently saw them for the first time so I don't have the ability to upload their CD, but I assure you they are a pretty great live band.

alli

• Larger than most fish

some icelandic hardcore for you

I Adapt - Chainlike Burden
I Adapt is a harsh Icelandic outfit that, if symbolic of the entire country's hardcore scene, proves they're representing one of the more impressive and progressive "communities."

While I'm sure it's purely coincidental (in all fairness, the band have been around since 2000), Chainlike Burden bears similarities to the massive boldness of November Coming Fire, the forward-thinking angularity of Achilles, the metallic crunch of the Hope Conspiracy and vocal traits from all three. Throughout the album's course, I Adapt continually provide dynamic, textured songs that often feature traditional tempos and an incredible restraint within the same song. Never is there a lacakadasical 1-2 fuck you, but the band band manage some truly angry and fast-paced moments.

Chainlike Burden seems to start recycling some ideas by its second half, and therefore it's a lot more interesting during its early portions. However, none of it is necessarily bad, and it takes out the album to a close in good enough fashion.

This is a surprisingly good effort though, with lots of similarities to some other accomplished bands while retaining its own identity. I Adapt's already been around for seven years, a decent amount of time for someone playing this music -- hopefully they stick around twice as long and put out some really groundbreaking records, since it seems they've got the potential.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?k3kgyy3goyn

Mínus - Hey, Johnny
couldn´t find any reviews, but it´s brilliant trust me
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?ychztedwoyi

Mínus - Jesus Christ Bobby
In theory, this is how hardcore should sound: progressive. Iceland's Minus utilizes various elements and angles to create a diverse and unique album with Jesus Christ Bobby. Such elements include electronics (the voice manipulation stuff is awesome), jazzy guitar progressions, brutally heavy guitar tones, and even an acoustic number. The vocals are screamed and raspy, sounding like everyone but similar to no one. Another worthwhile appreciation is the complete lack of tight editing, with many tracks closing with background noises and not sounding clean whatsoever. But more power to Minus for such tricks; it just makes them all the more punk rock. Following very much in the footsteps of the late, semi-great Refused, Minus seeks to do what the original intention of hardcore set out to be: mess with people's conceptions of music and tear it up. Toward the end of Jesus Christ Bobby, things start to drag a tad, but, all in all, for a band with a theory of creating "grossly beautiful" music, they do just that.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z2jngwt2dmm

Gavin Portland - Views of Distant Towns
Somewhere deep in the back of my mind resonates a confused tone repeating one word: Iceland. Yes, it's that distant island state somewhere up north, so remote and small that you hardly ever notice any news from there, or mention it in your geography discussions. Staying true to their image of a tightly knit society, the Icelandic music scene is vibrant but ultimately unknown to the outside world, and from that confined scene springs Gavin Portland, an awesome post-hardcore act whose music sounds like time had literally stood still for the last ten or fifteen years.

Their debut album "Views Of Distant Towns" brings nostalgia into mind of times when music was full of honesty, hardcore bands were fierce and stayed true to their origins. Songs like "The Yesterday Code" sound remotely like something Shai Hulud could have written during their early years - they are slow to mid-tempo, feature extended chord progressions and stupendous crescendos and buildups, but aren't excessive in breakdowns and beatdowns like the modern hardcore bands, in fact there hardly are any. The music keeps building up but instead of releasing the massive energy congregrated throughout a song in a breakdown, the band loosely withholds it in their sound and just end songs with dissonance instead, thus exploring a refreshing angle on hardcore. The vocalist's soaring voice is fierce and ravaging, drawing chills from your back as his slowly approaches a state of insanity on each track, but particularly on "Breathing Is Hard Work" and on "Watch Out For The Bears", where the band experiments the most with their harsh post-hardcore sound. Its slowly developing aggression pauses just before two minutes have gone past and is replaced with quietly echoing chords and slates of clean singing full of melancholy and restrained desperation - it all wouldn't be entirely out of place on a mid 90s Fugazi album.

"Views Of Distant Towns" is an aggressive piece of post-hardcore with plenty of soul and heart. It doesn't need to rise up to in-your-face aggressiveness levels to demonstrate it, the restrained and fierce vocals and the carefully thought out riffs do it instead, although the final track "With A White Picket Fence" does get a stranglehold of your neck. It's the kind of album that we need in 2007, to demonstrate that sounding trendy isn't important as long as you are true to your origins. Without further due, I present you the most exciting band from Iceland in a long, long time.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/download.php?5zayjwmmyqm
Edit: fixed the link for jesus christ bobby
« Last Edit: 07 May 2009, 06:23 by alli »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

On fuck yes, Gavin Portland and I Adapt are absolutely superb. Shame the GP tour later this year doesn't appear to be coming to the UK. Never really got into Minus, I've got Jesus Christ Bobby but for some reason it leaves me cold. They're good at what they do though, technically speaking it's all well put together. Well done Iceland. You are small, but you are good at the 'core.

Will

The final recordings of Orchid. These nineteen tracks are probably the best songs that Orchid ever recorded. Their sound has been honed and defined, and the recording perfectly captures Orchid's diverse combination of arty sensibilities, heartfelt emotive song writing, Mohinder-esque drumming, frantic precision, controlled mayhem, and chaotic adrenaline. An excellent record that even surpasses their previous releases. Definitely Orchid's opus.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=456d122c0a9fa285a0f2f20c509059d9d74c000ff76c3964c95965eaa7bc68bc

Ferocious grind-influenced crust metal. Members went on to form Trap Them, and the drummer was in The Red Chord for a while before moving on to Unearth. This is a perfect record to listen to when you're pissed at everything on the planet.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

Guys I just made and ate panzerotti while listening to La Quiete. Am I prejudiced?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Only if you made them from dismembered Italian screamo bands.

You'd better not have.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

It was just the dudes from the Death of Anna Karina, don't worry.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

My god man, think of your organs! That much bad sass cannot be good for the liver.

godspeed

• Not quite a lurker

After I Against I and their S/T what Bad Brains should I listen to next?

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now

Rock For Light

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com

to throw in my two penn'orth on the walter schreifels issue, i reckon quicksand's "slip" is easily the best thing he's been involved with (tied with hot water music's "no division," which he produced and did backing vocals on).

also, for anyone who likes that I Adapt record that Alli posted up there, i've quoted this direct from the mediaf!re thread, which i uploaded a few weeks ago:

hows about a bit of icelandic melodic hardcore punk from 2003.  i'm pretty sure this is out of print - i don't have a hard copy myself, only ripped mp3s from a CDR that a mate of mine copied from his friend who owns the album.  i've only ever seen it at the band's gigs (i don't even know if they're still together), and at a second-hand cd market stall (would have bought it but i was skint at the time).  so yeah, pretty rare. 

reasonably good sound quality and some fucking awesome music.  "sparks" and "i wish" in particular are pretty impressive.

I Adapt - "Sparks Turn to Flames"  (2003)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?3zmj4dgxeeu
fans of comeback kid and similar hardcore bands would enjoy this, although it's a little more raw.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

'Six Feet Under' from that album is basically distilled mosh. The whole thing is utterly brilliant though, and even has one of my favourite hardcore things on it which is when bands do songs about how awesome hardcore is. I never get bored of that. The lyrics in general are of a high quality, nice mix of the political and personal.

Sadly, they aren't still together. Called it quits a year or so ago.

medicatesleep

• Furry furrier
    • The RIAA hates you

I was going to up Quicksand's "Slip", but mediafire is being lame.

Here is more Cursed cause they fucking pwn

III
http://www.mediafire.com/?ezjdbztggzb

Hell Comes Home 7inch
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dfjgmmx12n2

Will

BUMP FOR PAGENINETYNINE!

Quote from: Reptilian Records
Page 99. Five years. Three continents. 300+ shows. 14 records. Countless members. Too many fucking memories. Hailing from the relatively tiny burg of Sterling, Virginia, this group of audio terrorists blazed a path through punk rock in their time on this planet. As the band's words grew more cryptic, their music became even more brutal, leaving a legacy that holds to this day.

Page 99 was a band that was very special not only to Reptilian, but to thousands of fans. Their legacy lives on not only with addition releases on Magic Bullet, Robotic Empire and Happy Couples Never Last, but with the spawn of Page 99: bands like Mannequin, Forensics, and the Hissing Choir.
Pg.99 is one of those bands that reminds me why I love music in the first place. They were raw, angry, visceral, sometimes fucking terrifying...and they did it with passion. I wish I had gotten a chance to see them live, but I don't think that a band with that level of energy could have done anything but end almost as quickly as it started.

All three of these fantastic records:

spoon_of_grimbo

Thanks for the pg.99 stuff!  I've been looking for their stuff for ages, seems it's mostly out of print :(

Here's three albums of dark, brooding hardcore stuff:

November Coming Fire - "Dungeness"

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?mtyqumwetzd
Naming their band after a Danzig song, and their album after the most grim location one could wish to see (a barren headland in the southeast of England, consisting of a large shingle beach, a road, a powerstation, and a few driftwood shacks), it's obvious from the start that November Coming Fire aren't going to be all sunshine, kittens and lollipops.  "Dungeness" combines the hardcore rage of Converge with the atmospheres and dark, ominous chord progressions of post-metal, and to great effect.  If they hadn't broken up shortly after its release, these guys would be leading the UK underground right now.

Planes Mistaken for Stars - "Up in Them Guts"

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?w2o2nzaty4n
Whiskey-soaked, bleak-as-you-like, heavy post-hardcore.  The absolutely oppressive "life-is-fucked" attitude and atmosphere is present on all their albums, but none more so than this, in my opinion their best.  Strangely, despite the downbeat tone of their music, I briefly met Gared O'Donnell, the vocalist, and he's a proper cheerful, friendly bloke.  Which I guess makes it even more impressive that he's able to conjure up such a shitstorm of sheer doominess on record.

Plate Six - "Anthems for a New Republic"

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?lzkim0zzjzx
I actually bought this off the back of a pretty vague, but very positive review I read in a magazine, and the fact that it has cool artwork and was going for ONE PENNY on amazon.  Kinda hard to get into to start with, and I'll admit I only very occasionally listen to it, but when I'm in the right mood, it's great.  Sounds like Fugazi on downers, playing inside a cement mixer.

Will

Do you have the followup to that Planes record, "Mercy?" SOOOOO good..
Regarding Pg.99, I also have the split they did with Majority Rule and the Singles comp that compiles all their vinyl, split releases, demos, and other fun stuff. It's basically everything that wasn't on either of the three I already uploaded or their other full length Doc. #(9?). Give me a day, and I'll upload that as well.

Basically, I've been a fan of everything that has come from that scene. City Of Caterpillar was amazing; Brandon from Pg.99 started it w/ members of Orchid I believe. Pygmy Lush is crazy good. Malady and Corn On Macabre too...holy shit, so many good bands from that era.

spoon_of_grimbo

Do you have the followup to that Planes record, "Mercy?" SOOOOO good..
Regarding Pg.99, I also have the split they did with Majority Rule and the Singles comp that compiles all their vinyl, split releases, demos, and other fun stuff. It's basically everything that wasn't on either of the three I already uploaded or their other full length Doc. #(9?). Give me a day, and I'll upload that as well.

Basically, I've been a fan of everything that has come from that scene. City Of Caterpillar was amazing; Brandon from Pg.99 started it w/ members of Orchid I believe. Pygmy Lush is crazy good. Malady and Corn On Macabre too...holy shit, so many good bands from that era.

yeah i've got mercy, it's probably my joint favourite planes release.  tbh though, i like pretty much everything they've done, although "fuck with fire" is a bit weird.  strange production and sorta transitions between the emo older stuff and darker newer stuff, so i find it hard to get into.  but they released a comp of all the pre-fuck with fire stuff recently, and it's pretty badass too (not least because of the several black flag covers on it!)

and yeah, that other pg.99 stuff would be awesome mate!  i really like the city of caterpillar record too, it really does seem like that was a great era.  shame most of the stuff from it is out of print or hard to find now  :|

Will

Although it may not work out for you with international shipping, customs, and all that other nonsense, pretty much all the Pg.99 and related stuff I own, I've bought used through Amazon. I actually just bought Pg.99's Document #7 right after posting here, so now my collection will be complete.

You're from the UK, right? Looks like there's a used copy of Doc#8 (their best one) going for Ł7.72 on AmazonUK if you're looking to buy. Other than that, yeah, it's all OOP now, so best of luck. I'm happy to share what I've got, but here's something I hope will help if you're looking for the real thing.

Doc. #8

spoon_of_grimbo

awesome!  i'm the UK so that works out well for me!  if that's still on there next time i've got enough cash to spare, i'll be ordering it reet quick like!

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

Guys document #8 was definitely repressed. I know this since I saw it a few months ago. You can probably still get it.

edit: sup

Pygmy Lush is crazy good.

I'm seeing them in two weeks.

SO EXCITED
« Last Edit: 15 May 2009, 19:02 by Objects inside Clouds »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Will

Doc. 8 is the easy one to find...it's the earlier ones that are a bitch. I got lucky and found Doc. 7 on CD for 15 bucks; usually on Amazon, used copies are upwards of $50. Singles is definitely still available, and well worth the price.

Pygmy Lush is crazy good.

I'm seeing them in two weeks.

SO EXCITED

Awesome! I'm curious to know whether they play all the softer stuff from Mount Hope, or throw in some of the crazy shit from the first record. You will of course give us a report, yes?

spoon_of_grimbo

I upped this back in the MF thread back in January, but it kinda ties in nicely with the pg.99 stuff, so i figured i'd do the old copy-and-paste one-two:

Circle Takes the Square - "As the Roots Undo"  (2004)

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?rcnzmzfyzah
Yes, the first and foremost of the genres one might use to describe CTTS would be screamo, but they're far from the angst-ridden, asymmetrically-fringed bollocks which passes for it most of the time.  As the Roots Undo is an epic, bleak, violent, atmospheric album, gripping from start to finish.  It's also got a pretty indepth concept behind it, explained in the liner notes:

In a nutshell the concept behind the songs was to document the different points on a path to self-realization. In our interpretation of this journey, the wanderer ends up essentially in the same place that he or she began, if not humbled and even more overwhelmed. In a sense the ending is somewhat tragic, but without experiencing all of the lows how can anyone ever appreciate the amazing subtleties that this world has to offer? And so, if the search for beauty and understanding is cyclical and unending, then at least we'll never stop experiencing the thrill of the hunt...

Having said that, the album is amazing regardless of whether or not you try and follow the concept.  And if you like it, it's definitely worth picking up the CD, as the packaging is intricate and pretty kickass.

upping a few other things atm that i'll add once they're done...

EDIT:  ...and they're done!

Snapcase - "End Transmission"

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?mibmz0qtvyw
Really weird experimental hardcore - it's got a VERY slight nu-metal twist to some of the guitar riffs, but not enough that you should be put off.  A very atmospheric record with lots of strange interludes; I found it took several listens to get into, but once it clicked, it was instantly fucking awesome.

Hour of the Wolf - "Waste Makes Waste" EP

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?jhfjykdmqzf
These guys kinda sound like Black Flag stabbed The Misfits, and then their corpses reanimated and chased them down a long alleyway, crashing into every trash can on the way.  In other words, BADASS.  I saw them live at The Fest last year, and frankly, they're insane... Which made for a BRILLIANT set.  The great thing about this EP is that it actually captures their live energy perfectly!
« Last Edit: 16 May 2009, 06:53 by spoon_of_grimbo »

Will

That Snapcase record is one of my favorite hardcore records ever, also my favorite Snapcase record.
CTTS...my friends The Pax Cecilia played a show with them at a firehall once and it was honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen. The fuckers need to finally get around to releasing a followup to As The Roots Undo though; they've been touring that album for 5 years now!

spoon_of_grimbo

they had a blog about the recording of the follow up, and a song called "ritual of names" played live on youtube, but that was about a year ago and there's been nothing since.  i'm pretty confident that when they DO come out with another album it'll be an absolute killer.  and the pax cecilia are fucking EPIC!  i got a copy of "blessed are the bonds" back when they were giving those away, and it's amazing.  tell them they need to do a UK tour!

Will

Grimbo, if you look in the album credits to Blessed Are The Bonds, look at the credits for "the Water Song" and "the Tomb Song" - it'll say something like "Trombone by William 'Agent' James"...

That's me!!

My old band used to play shows with these guys all the time...they're some of my very best friends from that era.

spoon_of_grimbo

wow, nice one!!!  you ever actually play those songs with them live?  i get the impression from the music that their shows would be amazing!

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker

OK guys, this is the best thread in a long time. I am basically constantly downloading.

Weird coincidence: right now I'm listening to As The Roots Undo for the first time since over a year, and just then I read your post, Mr Spoon. To everybody who doesn't have this yet: get it immediately, it is fucking awesome. One of my very favourite albums ever.

Will

Anyone who likes As The Roots Undo would do well to check out the City Of Caterpillar LP City Of Caterpillar. Features some Pg.99 dudes making more atmospheric and haunted sounding music; imagine Pg.99 meets Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'm at my folk's place until tomorrow, so Grimbo if you have this, go ahead and upload it...otherwise I'll get it when I get back to my place.

spoon_of_grimbo

Anyone who likes As The Roots Undo would do well to check out the City Of Caterpillar LP City Of Caterpillar. Features some Pg.99 dudes making more atmospheric and haunted sounding music; imagine Pg.99 meets Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'm at my folk's place until tomorrow, so Grimbo if you have this, go ahead and upload it...otherwise I'll get it when I get back to my place.

damn, i'm just about to hit the sack and having a quick skim of the forums before i do so.  if i'm online tmrw and you've not yet posted it, i'll up it.  i'll probably throw up some In Pieces too (they're a bit more post-hardcore than hardcore, but "Lions Write History" has the same creepy mood to much of it that "As the Roots Undo" has, so if you enjoy ATRU, there's a fair chance you'd get something out of it).  and since (unless i've not noticed...) no-one's upped Botch's "We Are the Romans" yet, i'll do that too.  the reason i'm actually typing all this now is so i remember to do it when i check the boards tmrw, because i have a shit memory... :roll:

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

There's an active link for that City of Caterpillar album that Sean uploaded a long time ago.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?fdwvwdmpduf

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker

Hot damn, thanks. I wanted to get this album for quite a while, actually.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

no-one's upped Botch's "We Are the Romans" yet, i'll do that too

I actually tried to upload that but the files I had were way too big and I didn't want to split it in two.

Also, I should probably get down to upping some stuff.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Ten Grand are really good, guys!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

R.A.M.B.O. - Wall Of Death The System

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?sharekey=5822ced43b584892d956df2962098fcbe9a5bcf30af66611b8eada0a1ae8665a
R.A.M.B.O. kick out fast, thrashing and highly political hardcore. They also have a great sense of humour, recommending using walls of death against police, calling for revenge for the anarchy moose and reminding us we should all rock with Kropotkin. It's hard to resist a band that makes anarchy sound so much damn fun, and who even get slagged off on their own record by the guy that does Jade Tree. He does guest vocals on Honorable Discharge and calls them assholes for kicking him out of the band. The moshtrocity!
« Last Edit: 18 May 2009, 02:20 by a pack of wolves »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up