THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 17:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Eternal  (Read 3706 times)

AnonymousNoob

The Eternal
« on: 04 May 2009, 21:44 »

Noticed there hasn't been a thread for it, nor does the search turn up any discussion regarding it.

Anyone else digging this album?

Been listening to the BEGN stream that Matador has been offering and I've been enjoying it 'muchly'.

It's nice to hear SY playing with some of their earlier vigor after Rather Ripped (which was good stuff, as well).

scarred

• Older than Moses
Re: The Eternal
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2009, 00:46 »

I like it so far! Just got the leak, and not the shitty 128kbps one.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2009, 03:57 »

Pretty tight album, don't like 'Antenna' though. Probably one of their better post-robbery records.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2009, 04:35 »

I absolutely love it.  I actually really really love Antenna, and I think my favorite track so far is Walkin' Blue.

Seriously though, it's great, and a lot more RAWKIN then I was expecting after the somewhat shy Rather Ripped.

Trynant

• Emoticontraindication
  • never slow
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2009, 07:39 »

Ka-bump.

Holy shit is this album good. I've been listening to it non-stop since I got it.

"Sacred Trickster" is a great kick-start; the energy put into the song makes me feel like I'm listening to one of SY's earlier works. And hot damn, "Anti-Orgasm" may be one of my favorite songs now. Just the battling vocals, the "uh, uh, uh, uh" chorus, and the two minute denouement work so well.

One nitpick is that I really love the beginning of "What We Know" but feel the rest of the song doesn't flow with it.

As a big Sonic Youth fan, I love this album. Also, as a big Sonic Youth fan, I'm not sure what most people's impression of The Eternal are.

My thoughts so far is that The Eternal sounds like something similar to past SY, but at the same time something new as well. It's good.
When all else fails, spam.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2009, 07:57 »

Antenna and Anti-orgasm are definitely two of my favorite Sonic Youth tracks now. The rest of the album is pretty sick too, though.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:11 »

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Trynant

• Emoticontraindication
  • never slow
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2009, 16:02 »

Continuing to listen to this album, one thing that's bugging me is that a few of the songs on The Eternal have an approximately 10 second introduction before a completely different and incongruous riff begins. "Leaky Lifeboat," "Antenna," "What We Know," and "Calming the Snake" all do this. "What We Know" especially bugs me because I kept wishing they built on top of the adrenaline-pumping introduction instead of slowing down.

Still, I think this album is the best thing Sonic Youth has put out this decade.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2009, 18:51 »

Still, I think this album is the best thing Sonic Youth has put out this decade.

I definitely love The Eternal, but to me this is crazy talk.  Murray Street isn't only the best thing Sonic Youth have done this decade, it's no doubt in my Top 5 of the 2001-10 period.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2009, 05:39 »

Is it really better than Sonic Nurse? If it's better than Sonic Nurse, I might check out it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2009, 08:02 »

The best thing Sonic Youth have done this decade, it's no doubt in my Top 5 of the 2001-10 period.

Uh... so it's the best thing they've done this decade as well as the best thing they've done this decade?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Trynant

• Emoticontraindication
  • never slow
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2009, 19:52 »

Honestly I didn't get into Murray Street that much. It's good, no doubt about that, but I really wasn't a huge fan of it compared the bands other works. Although "Rain on Tin" is fucking awesome, as well as "Karen Revisited." In truth, I enjoyed Rather Ripped over Murray Street and Sonic Nurse. Either way, can we just agree that we like The Eternal, even if there are better Sonic Youth albums?

I guess one thing to debate, however, is whether this album represents a growth in SY's sound, or if it's just retreading over old ground. I'm not really sure I've heard anything that sounds quite like "Anti-Orgasm," but I could definitely feel a Dirty vibe mixed with some Sonic Nurse in a lot of the songs.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2009, 20:24 »

Kim + Thurston + Lee all singing on the same song = Growth.

Duh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up