Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 05 Dec 2021, 01:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about mixing boards  (Read 1519 times)

Unosuke

• Curry sauce
A question about mixing boards
« on: 05 May 2009, 21:17 »

I'm looking for a mixing board that I can plug a couple mics into and plug it into my computer. Cheap is good too, any suggestions?
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: A question about mixing boards
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2009, 21:27 »

I've observed two ways to do this:

1. Go the USB route or
2. Go into the mic input/line in on your soundcard.

I do the latter with a little RCA - 1/4" into my computer's mic input then into some software.  I've been looking at upgrading my mixer and some interesting ones I've found are:

This one.  Which as got some built-in effects that might come in handy.  One of the Behringer XENYX models that are real affordable and also come with effects, but I'm a bit wary of Behringer stuff (but less so since I've tried their vibrato pedals and liked them and my friend's bass amp is pretty decent), and the Peavey PV line of mixers.  All are $99 or less, I think.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2009, 21:30 »

I have a Behrenger XENYX1204 that I've had for a couple of years now, it's a full 12-channel mixer with preamp, phantom power, XLR outputs, all the goodies...you can rack mount it as a standard mixer, and it also comes with a USB adapter that lets you run it into your computer. It works beautifully with Adobe Audition, and I'm sure would work with other programs as well.

Cost me around $200 total, and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. You can get similar boards for a nominally cheaper price, but I prefer the sliders to rotary pots, so I went with this one.

As soon as I can get ImageShack to work, I'll post a picture of it so you can see what it looks like.

This is exactly the one I have. As I said, I have no complaints at all with it.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2009, 21:32 by Will »
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

glyphic

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2009, 19:35 »

I picked up a Tascam 1082. It runs on Firewire and it doubles as a mixer and a controller for whatever DAW you're using. You can monitor up to 8 tracks and record only the ones you want. Makes it hella easy if you have a drummer who can't play to a metronome and has to have the guitarists blasting in his ears the whole time to stay on beat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up