THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book to movie inconsistencies that are genuinely annoying and unneeded  (Read 39117 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

If you're going to pick on a people because of something that was done in the distant past, I defy you to pick any nationality/ethnic group/religious affliliation that has not done something nasty to someone else.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!

If you're going to pick on a people because of something that was done in the distant past, I defy you to pick any nationality/ethnic group/religious affliliation that has not done something nasty to someone else.

Buddhists.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Buddhists.

I really hope you're joking.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

Buddhists.

Buddhists have, in fact, engaged in wars.  Also in religious persecution.

And Shaolin don't just practice kung fu for their health, spiritual or otherwise.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!

Fair enough.

Santeria, then.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby

White people.
Hate, rain on me

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears

The Irish. Sure we're only deadly.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

So, Irish on Irish violence doesn't count?

I seem to remember reading about a number of wars between Munster, Ulster, and the rest of the provinces.  Granted that is far in the past - since then they've the value of going after "other" who happens to be occupying their land cause they couldn't unite to stop them.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

That's all in the family, and it don't concern ye, ye PROTTY BASTERT.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Just because I wear orange on St.Patty's Day doesn't make me a Protty bastard. 

My parents were married when I was born, so one of those labels is inaccurate.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Inuits.

Sorry, they were known in historic times to have fought with the Cree and other related First Nations.  they were just less successful as evidenced by them being in the less desirable real estate.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

So, Irish on Irish violence doesn't count?

Even if it doesn't, the Irish were one of the biggest contributors to racism in the US way back when. It was a matter of the Irish were an oppressed minority for a long time in the US, and as soon as a new minority showed up, they were all up in arms oppressing them to draw the heat off their own backs. It's why Boston is still considered one of the more racist Northern metro areas because there are some Irish families (Italian too) that haven't moved past it. It was really huge back in the twenties where a lot of Massachusetts Irish would lynch you just as soon as look at you if you were anything even remotely resembling dark skinned.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Even so, there is the little matter of piracy and kidnapping that the Irish used to practice - which is how St Patty got to Ireland in the first place.

Let's face it, humans generally just don't play nicely amongst themselves.  We dress it up in a variety of colours - but it still looks like we're beating each other.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria

But... not till after all the pillage and conquest, right?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

He followed a very stereotypical Indian religious career.  Live as you want to, then get old, then become an ascetic.  Ever since India developed cities (which I believe to be the basis of modern civilization), they've wrestled with the ascetic impulse.  Jainism follows the Brahmin interpretation of the ascetic impulse. 

1) be a kid
2) get married, have lots of kids
3) be wealthy
4) give your wealth to your children and go live naked in the woods

That allows people to do what they want and feel good at the same time.  Since Jainism also explicitly allows violence in self-defense or defense of the state...  It would have been easy for CG to say "I defend the people by expanding my empire... and by expanding Jian."

It doesn't really matter what religion you follow, spreading it by the sword is pretty much always going to be an option, even when the originator said, "Wait, don't do that".  Those who come after will say, "Unless..."

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg

In the book Frankenstein we had a monster. A monster of incredible speed, strength, and agility. He was 8 feet tall, had lustrous black hair, and could speak proper english.
No matter how hard I try I can't find a movie with such a monster in it. He's usually slow and strong, which is not how the book describes him at all. So I ask, why? Why did they feel the need to slow him down?
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

I've seen a movie that had him agile and intelligent, though without the lustrous ebon tresses.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker

More adaptations have been made than I am able to locate using the internet. There's countless interpretations of the creature. The closests that I can recall to the depiction in the book are Robert Deniro, though that creature had a shaved head, and Luke Goss, minus the 8 foot tall thing.
Both are frequently called the most faithful adaptations, though I think the Marcus Nispel version is far closer. Aside from Frankenstein's relationships with his professors, it seemed almost like a page by page adaptation of the book, to the best of my recollection.

I haven't seen or heard anything about this movie yet, but this struck me:

« Last Edit: 22 May 2009, 15:20 by Sox »

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston

IIRC the one with DeNiro is the Kenneth Branagh adaptation, and is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Dude should not be allowed to direct anything, ever.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down

I Am Legend?  The theatrical cut omits the entire theme to which the title refers.

I was going to post this because its infuriating that they've  obviously considered bringing in this theme when you look at the alternate ending but instead decided to have Will Smith blow some shit up because they can't be bothered. I didn't even care at first because I figured it would just be Will Smith wasting vampires for 90 minutes and it was a little better than that so I was pretty happy. Then I saw the alternate ending and I just raged out something fierce.

Man, all of the I Am Legend adaptations change things.

I know this is semantic wanking, but I don't think the "I Am Legend" movie really falls into the same category as the other movies loosely based off the book. I don't really believe book to movie adaptations should be as pure as possible, but it's not really valid to respond to the claim that the movie changed plot elements by referring to say the Omega Man and saying ALL the adaptations change things quite substantially, because the differences were enough to warrant a change of the movies name. Don't forget that Dawn of the Dead is as much of an adaptation of I Am Legend in the same sense that the Omega Man is, but is absolutely nothing like the book whatsoever and in fact is rarely considered an adaptation despite the fact that the inspiration came directly from it.

With I Am Legend, they took a not particularly popular book, kept the name and turned it into a movie. There are higher standards of adherence to the original plot in this case, I feel.

Although to be fair honestly the I Am Legend movie did a pretty good job for the most part I just wish they'd never bothered to release the alternate ending because it wasn't even that great an ending but just reminded me of how much better the movie could have been.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2009, 20:01 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

IIRC the one with DeNiro is the Kenneth Branagh adaptation, and is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Dude should not be allowed to direct anything, ever.

Hey ... his Hamlet adaptation was brilliant.

But then, he had a pretty brilliant writer deliver the script.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

So I ask, why? Why did they feel the need to slow him down?

It's less confronting that way really.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES

In the book Frankenstein we had a monster. A monster of incredible speed, strength, and agility. He was 8 feet tall, had lustrous black hair, and could speak proper english.
No matter how hard I try I can't find a movie with such a monster in it. He's usually slow and strong, which is not how the book describes him at all. So I ask, why? Why did they feel the need to slow him down?

This is the version you want

Michael Sarrazin was not eight feet tall, but he was dark-haired and dashing.  As a bonus, young Jane Seymour plays Prima, and James Mason is Polidori.  This was a television production and I have no idea whether it's available on video, but it's a great version.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier

My favourite part of the book, was easily where the Rohirrim arrived at the start of the seige, right after Gandalf denies the Witch King, and then cut their way through the ranges of orks. The way Tolkien described this moment of despair for Gondor, and how the men of the West thought they were completely alone, and then the Rohirrim arrived, and Eowyn kills the Witch King was amazing. And then the arrival of the Aragorn on the boats.

The movie in no way did it justice.

EDIT: and of course the taking out of Tom Bombadil, although I understand why.

Try the extended edition. Witch King goes all FLAMING SWORD!! on Gandalf when the Rohirrim arrive. If that happened original version I'd have been scared they went mad and were gonna kill off Gandalf or something.

Extended edition also puts back the AMAZINGLY CREEPY mouth of Sauron.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?

Although his scene is diminished in the movie due to timeline consistency. That's to say, the timeline is correct, but the books are expressed differently. The Two Towers and The Return Of The King explain the Aragorn/Gandalf/Gimli/Legolas/Merry/Pippin parts in full, and then switch over completely to the Frodo/Sam parts in the second half. So when you read about the Mouth Of Sauron in the books, and he presents the tokens, you think shit has hit the fan and everything is fucked. You think that Sauron has the Ring and Frodo's dead and Aragorn will never found the House Of Telcontar or anything because Sauron just achieved a level of power that Morgoth would be proud of.

Trauco

• Not quite a lurker

Completely off topic, and i registered just to tell you this,

wanna get even more pissed about the Dune movie that Lynch directed?

just check what we missed:

http://derelictplanet.blogspot.com/2009/04/about-dune.html

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Moebius

H.R. Giger

Chris Foss

Pink floyd

Salvator fucking Dali

This really makes me wanna cry

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Dali wanted $100,000 for one hour on set? What a douche.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Dali wanted $100,000 for one hour on set? What a douche.

He probably thought he'd melt   :D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier

Although his scene is diminished in the movie due to timeline consistency. That's to say, the timeline is correct, but the books are expressed differently. The Two Towers and The Return Of The King explain the Aragorn/Gandalf/Gimli/Legolas/Merry/Pippin parts in full, and then switch over completely to the Frodo/Sam parts in the second half. So when you read about the Mouth Of Sauron in the books, and he presents the tokens, you think shit has hit the fan and everything is fucked. You think that Sauron has the Ring and Frodo's dead and Aragorn will never found the House Of Telcontar or anything because Sauron just achieved a level of power that Morgoth would be proud of.

Yeah that too. They should've fucked with the moviewatchers in the same waaaay.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up