THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 04:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: So guys, you know how I'm on Albanian TV and shit?  (Read 9009 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: So guys, you know how I'm on Albanian TV and shit?
« Reply #50 on: 29 May 2009, 16:13 »

I haven't worked out yet how to get Nero to make a small video with acceptable audio quality (I've never tried video editing before), so here are two files:

Audio only, OK sound* (3MB)
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?d1nvndnjity
Video with crap sound (15MB)
Code: [Select]
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?jmzn2qewmx1
* i.e. no worse than the orginal stream

I added the voting at the end so you hear his name lots of times...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #51 on: 29 May 2009, 17:23 »

Thanks Paul!
I will set it to download whilst I go to the bank.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #52 on: 31 May 2009, 03:15 »

Awesome job Patrick, btw. Their performance is at around 50 minutes into it again. Took me a while to find it. Also, maybe its just me not understanding the language, but the host for that show, she, doesn't seem very into it, or, I don't know their doesn't seem to be a whole lot of personality there. Her expressions and body language for the most part are almost static. I think the only reason its bothering me is because that combined with a language I will probably never speak makes that show really hard to watch.

I agree, she almost sounds like she's mocking the whole affair.

But I guess that's just tones in a language we'll never understand. Like how to many western people, even whispered sweet nothings in Japanese sound like death threats.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #53 on: 31 May 2009, 17:42 »

But I guess that's just tones in a language we'll never understand. Like how to many western people, even whispered sweet nothings in Japanese sound like death threats.

At the store I used to work at, we had a middle-aged woman from Italy as a cashier. One of the absolute sweetest people I've ever known who was always friendly and helpful. When I was a supervisor, I got more complaints from customers about her than any other employee. I have a very good ear for emotional tone and can control my own to the point where I've only had a small handful of outright blowups with customers over several years, so it didn't take me long to figure out the cause.

The normal speaking intonation of the cashier in English carried over from her Italian, and it mapped almost exactly to the pitch changes that an American uses to be sarcastic or dismissive. Once you've triggered the "I've been treated rudely!" switch in somebody, it's next to impossible to get them to unruffle their fur. I tried explaining this phenomenon to some of the customers but it never worked. In fact it happened once with a friend of mine, and afterward I explained the whole situation in detail, and at the end the reaction was STILL, "Yeah, but she was rude to me." Aaargh.

So I just gave up and told customers from then on the usual BS answer of "sorry about that, I'll have a talk with her," then deleted the incident from my mind.

That's probably part of what we're hearing in the hostess, intonations that map to negative connotations to our ear, especially when we don't understand the words to put it all in context.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #54 on: 01 Jun 2009, 15:28 »

Nah dude she actually is a bitch and she has no friends and her marriage is on the rocks and she will probably die alone.

I can't even feel bad while I say this because I'm just speaking the truth.

Stay tuned for next week's installment, where I sing yet another Coldplay song, because apparently that's all I'm good at.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #55 on: 01 Jun 2009, 15:29 »

Oh Eugene, Labinot told me specifically to tell you hi.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #56 on: 01 Jun 2009, 20:34 »

Sweet.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up