THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 01:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Champions Online: also City of Heroes/Villains  (Read 5305 times)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Champions Online: also City of Heroes/Villains
« on: 14 May 2009, 01:40 »

Okay, so I'm really pumped about the development of the MMO Champions Online. I love superheroes, and I used to play for a while on CoH/CoV pretty casually before my life got sucked up by that beast that is WoW. So I'm looking over the website and I start to get that "Haven't played an MMO in a long time" feeling. It gets so bad that I look up the CoH/CoV website and see what new changes they've made to the game in the last couple years since I've really played it. Well it looked like quite a bit of content and now that classes are over I've got a little more free time (especially until I find another job), so I ended up finding my old discs, revving it up, waited for the couple gigabytes of downloads and whatnot and then signed back up online for a month's worth.

Does anybody still play this game? Anyone plan on checking out Champions when it comes out? If anybody does still play, maybe you should play with me! Before I was the freaking definition of casual gamer and so I've only got a level 15 Blaster and level 19 scrapper on the Justice server, and a level 15 brute on Virtue. I'm also willing to make a character of pretty much any type on another server if I need to.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2009, 01:46 by Boro_Bandito »
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Champions Online: also City of Heroes/Villains
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2009, 09:56 »

Both Tyler and I have been on the Champions Online beta and found it wanting. I just got on last week, so I'm prepared to give it some more time, but as yet, it basically seems like the rather boring, vanilla original build of City of Heroes.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2009, 11:11 »

I still have 2 CoH accounts, though neither is active at the moment. It is a nice game to jump in and out of, as you really do not need to farm anything to level and stay "top geared". Also, 3D movement.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2009, 00:36 »

Well, I'm having an extremely good time, spent a couple hours on and met a few people, including another guy who'd just started back up after a long hiatus (if you were ever on the Justice server it was one of the SWAT drone guys from the Paragon PD, who's leader apparently just rejoined), me, him and several other ended up doing the Sister Psyche Task Force and I leveled from 19 to 25 today all in all.

I also finally unlocked a second costume slot and made a sort of occultist detective costume for my character (Diego the Great, Magic Scrapper w/ swords and fast reflexes) since the SWAT drone (H5) invited me to the SG. I don't know how this will go down because before the supergroup had pretty strict standards about its members and had at least nominal roleplaying, but since the leader's only just come back I guess they've lowered their standards a bit (and probably can't afford to be picky, seeing as the Justice server isn't nearly as populated as it once was)

Now someone just needs to resurrect Justice Radio (KPOW) and it'll be just like the good ol' days on the justice server, :P. Man, its funny to think that this game came out when I was 16.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2009, 03:22 »

I've been playing CoH since like 2005. Love that game so much, most of my friends hate MMOs and say how much they suck, but I like it. Right now I play on Wednesdays with a once a week group, I just do other stuff the rest of the week, but I am gonna start playing more I think. Its a fun game, that's for sure.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2009, 15:54 »

That's the hardest thing, the game sucks without a good group to play with, and nearly no one runs just normal missions anymore it seems like. The new architect missions where people basically just go in vs these enormous mobs of 54s to powerlevel take the entire experience out of the game, and it pisses me off.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jun 2009, 06:28 »

The new architect missions where people basically just go in vs these enormous mobs of 54s to powerlevel take the entire experience out of the game, and it pisses me off.

The devs pretty much destroyed that. Any farm missions are locked and people who powerlevel with them get their characters deleted and if it is repeat offense, they get banned.
Also, they are coming out with City of Heroes GOIN ROGUE. looks interesting at the very least.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #7 on: 01 Jun 2009, 15:26 »

When did they do that? Has it been within the past like week or something? I admit I haven't gotten on in a little while, there being a lot of stuff on hand to do recently.

Yeah, I saw the stuff for Going Rogue, it looks interesting but I'm wondering how they're going to implement switching sides. Also it seems like a good way to balance out server population while keeping it in the game's mythos.

So what servers do you tend to play on?

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jun 2009, 16:04 »

Shouldn't be all that hard to implement switching sides. Everquest 2 has been doing it since launch, I believe.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2009, 11:47 »

Aha!  So there are other City of peeps on here, sweet.   8-)  I've been playing it since early 05, and I still like it.  I'm the weird bird who hates PLing and hates farming (booooring) yet plays primarily on Freedom.  I definitely 'suffer' from altitus, with all of my character slots taken up but only one level 50.   :oops:

The only thing wrong with AE is, well, people.  Most folks apparently want to farm and blow through levels as fast as possible.  I want to be entertained!  Give me a good story with some interesting and varied custom mobs, dangit!  Those are rare, but worth it when found.  I actually scroll through all the unrated arcs until I find a likely candidate.

Have you guys tried the new TF?  ("Paging Dr. Khan . . . Dr. Khan . . .")  I think they've worked the bugs out of it -- I ran it with a full team and got it done in an hour and 47 minutes -- but I wish the same could be said for the SF.  Poor poor viillain-side, always getting the broken toys.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up