THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 01:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sex Pistols + Def Leppard = WTF, Batman?!?  (Read 9955 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Sex Pistols + Def Leppard = WTF, Batman?!?
« on: 15 May 2009, 08:29 »

Most unlikely supergroup ever?
Quote from: Article
"As is often the case, the most exciting and inspiring new music regularly comes from the most unexpected of sources. You see, Man Raze is not your average debut artist - they are a band whose members have already achieved multi-platinum sales worldwide in previous guises but are going back to their roots in the form of a straight up rock three piece."

This makes no sense. None. None at all.

Forumites, what do you think? Should such a pairing even exist? What is a "supergroup" that is even more ridiculous?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: Sex Pistols + Def Leppard = WTF, Batman?!?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2009, 08:40 »

:?

One side of me is like, "Awesome, I love the Sex Pistols," and the other is all: "AAUUGH DEF LEPPARD UUUUUGHHHH"

Cadeonehalf

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2009, 08:52 »

I still find Chickenfoot to be simultaneously the most retarded name for a supergroup and the weirdest combination. SEriously, Joe Satriani, Sammy Hagar, the drummer from RHCP and Marc Anthony? WTF

Plus it's the drummer for Sex Pistols. If it was James Lyndon I might give it a listen, but there was nothing special about their drummer.
Quote from: the_pied_piper
You are a hippie white guy with a huge afro. You have musical taste when it suits you but generally decide to ignore it and end up listening to mostly jarring noise.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2009, 09:10 »

There is now a band called Tinted Windows who feature members of The Smashing Pumpkins, Cheap Trick, Fountains of Wayne and Hanson. Yes, that Hanson.

On the other hand Sex Pistols and Def Leppard aren't an odd fit really. Mid-tempo past-it stadium rockers team up with mid-tempo past-it stadium rockers. If it was Def Leppard and PiL then I'd be surprised (and pretty eager to see what happened when Jah Wobble got let loose on a Def Leppard track with John Lydon ranting about the Troubles over the top).
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2009, 09:48 »

That Tinted Windows band got a 10/10 rating for their newest album in the local college paper here.  I mean... a Ten out of TEN?  A perfect album?  Really?  No, probably the opposite.

Will

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2009, 09:48 »

I don't know why they didn't go with the more obvious choice of names...

Sex Leopard.

Think about it...
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2009, 10:30 »

That Tinted Windows band got a 10/10 rating for their newest album in the local college paper here.  I mean... a Ten out of TEN?  A perfect album?  Really?  No, probably the opposite.

Oh dear. This is unfortunate.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2009, 11:19 »

Yeah, I heard about that yesterday, and my brain still hasn't quite recovered. I have to say, that's pretty much exactly what I expected it to sound like.

Ouch.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2009, 11:53 »

That one is months-old news. Unfortunately for everyone involved, I really dig three of the four bands namechecked (can you guess who's annoying pre-pubescent voice I am not a fan of?) and I actually expected to be impressed.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2009, 13:26 »

I have been thinking about this all day trying to come up with something to say but it's just like, "What's the point of life, anyway?".

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2009, 14:13 »

Oh we're so pretty
Oh so pretty
YEAHHHHHH.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2009, 14:16 »

Been feeling extra happy lately?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2009, 16:02 »

"I have severe tinnitus in my right ear, it's like an eeeeeeeeeeeeeee, but it sounds less sarcastic than that. I got it at a Def Leppard concert. I met them and told them that actually, 'I went deaf at your Def Leppard concert.' They said they spell it D-E-F. I said, 'come on, give me something.' I mean, where do these soft rock bellends get off? What, did they think, 'ooh, we're a soft rock band, we want a name that denotes sleekness and power, how about a big cat? Oh, but we've also got a sensitive side, so let's give that animal, a DISABILITY. How about Rheumatic Panther? I'm not so sure. How about Deaf Leopard? Great, but let's remove one of the vowels, otherwise it'd be a stupid name.' You know how they spell 'leopard?' L-E-double-P-A-R-D.

BENDERS."
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2009, 16:35 »

Without reading the rest of this topic Im going to say one thing; two wrongs don't make a right
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2009, 09:48 »

There's really very little difference between the Sex Pistols and Def Leppard. Rock music is all pretty similar. I don't see why this is surprising.

I'm sorry, but that sounded really ignorant. You just generalized about the past 60 years of music glory.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2009, 09:55 »

I think I'd rather see Def Leppard than Sex Pistols. I realize that the Sex Pistols win lifetime achievement awards for trendsetting and generally being a bunch of wankers, but frankly, I've never really liked punk anyway.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2009, 10:57 »

After listening to so much Buzzcocks, Joy Division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Wire and The Fall, hearing the rock and roll wankery of the Sex Pistols and remembering that its also "punk" music is pretty jarring.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2009, 16:31 »

There is now a band called Tinted Windows who feature members of The Smashing Pumpkins, Cheap Trick, Fountains of Wayne and Hanson. Yes, that Hanson.

It's not really a weird combination if you really know anything about the people involved. It's a bunch of power pop guys and James Iha, a man who released a sunny album full of slightly countrified soft rock once he was finally out from under Billy Corgan's thumb. Left to his own devices he writes like this.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2009, 17:27 by Alex C »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2009, 23:20 »

yeah it's a shame

the Pumpkins were a great band and I keep trying to deny that all the talent lay in Billy cause hes a massive dickbag but it's true

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2009, 23:48 »

Wow two pretty shitty bands are combining to make potentially the shittiest supergroup of all time.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2009, 23:51 »

I stand corrected.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2009, 09:45 »

Oh man, I remember that one Damn Yankee song.

They sounded like Creed.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2009, 16:56 »

It's not really a weird combination if you really know anything about the people involved. It's a bunch of power pop guys and James Iha, a man who released a sunny album full of slightly countrified soft rock once he was finally out from under Billy Corgan's thumb. Left to his own devices he writes like this.

My knowledge of them all is thoroughly limited to their big hits. The names lined up just seem an odd combination to me, probably because I know little about them and associate one of the members pretty much solely with that song about the world being a vampire.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2009, 17:32 »

Bullet With Butterfly Wings was alright but you should consider blocking out everything you know about Billy Corgan (it is almost impossible to be a Smashing Pumpkins fan otherwise) and listening to Siamese Dream.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2009, 17:51 »

Unfortunately the one thing I can't block out about Billy Corgan when I'm listening to the Smumpkins is his incredibly annoying singing voice.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #26 on: 17 May 2009, 17:57 »

Listening to this again his voice isn't so bad really. In fact I like it a lot more than I remember doing, it's nasal but that's alright. It's the lyrics that fuck the whole thing up. There is a nice nostalgic quality to some of it the songs and some riffs that are good, but in conclusion I think the reason I only remember the singles is because they were the only decent bits.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2009, 18:12 by a pack of wolves »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2009, 14:10 »

It is a hard thing to dwell on a forum where everyone hates rock music.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2009, 14:15 »

It is a hard thing to dwell on a forum where everyone hates rock music.
Which forum are you thinking of?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2009, 14:23 »

This forum, where in this thread snooty fatsters demonstrate their unabashed detestation of rock music.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2009, 14:28 »

Is it the dislike of the Smashing Pumpkins, Hanson, Def Leppard or the Sex Pistols you're objecting to? Because if it's any of them except Def Leppard I think you need to go and have a good hard think about things. Not that Def Leppard are all that great but they're the only ones that are at all rocking.

Will

« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2009, 14:35 »

NOT TRUE! HANSON = ROCK!
mmmmBop

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2009, 15:20 »

I don't hate rock music, I'm just not terribly big on the Sex Pistols or the Smashing Pumpkins, although I don't really dislike either of them. I was mostly into entry level industrial metal (you know the progression; Kid hears NIN, then finds out about Ministry, etc.) during the mid-90s, so the Smashing Pumpkins appealed to me a bit when they were in full on Godzilla riff mode but weren't really my bag in general. For whatever reason only a song or two of theirs now really appeals to me these days. As for the Sex Pistols, they're part of a culture I don't really understand or particularly care about, although oddly enough I really love a lot of the bands that were directly affected by their existence.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2009, 15:24 by Alex C »

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2009, 15:31 »

yeah it's a shame

the Pumpkins were a great band and I keep trying to deny that all the talent lay in Billy cause hes a massive dickbag but it's true

Whoa, hey now, let's not go knockin' Jimmy Chamberlin like that. The man is a phenomenal drummer.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2009, 16:04 »

Is it the dislike of the Smashing Pumpkins, Hanson, Def Leppard or the Sex Pistols you're objecting to? Because if it's any of them except Def Leppard I think you need to go and have a good hard think about things. Not that Def Leppard are all that great but they're the only ones that are at all rocking.

I'm talking about the original subjects of the thread. Def Leppard are a perfectly acceptable band with a few songs above their average. Not the greatest band of all time, but given the amount of times I've seen people from this forum expressing a liking for fucking Boston and Journey </vomit> I don't see where the widespread condemnation is coming from.

I've been over this before, but the Sex Pistols are a great band, though many people seem to allow execrable snobbery directed against things that generally happened before they were born.

seriously guys, what is your problem.

Quoting Punk 77:

The most recognisable band name and members in punk rock. The first and the best. This band alone stood in the centre of the maelstrom with their manager Malcolm McClaren conducting before they all lost the plot in a welter of acrimony and chaos. McClaren is the link between British and American punk having (mis)managed the New York Dolls and absorbed the influences around that time -Richard Hell etc. Anyway he basically got the band together. The music, lyrics & attitude were their own. Sneering vocals, incendiary guitars and a desire to shock and provoke was something not seen before...

...If it sounds tawdry its only half of the story. The Pistols were awesome . From their look to their lyrics to their music they were fresh, original and exciting and young and they didn't give a f**k which made them dangerous. They spawned a whole culture on their own from the Clash to Siouxsie and the Banshees and the fans to the present day in terms of image style and attitude.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #35 on: 18 May 2009, 16:29 »

I think it's kinda ridiculous to expect people to really feel the same connection to the band once its influence has been so dispersed that they cannot even remember a time in which their influence wasn't already in full force.  As for the music itself, I actually like the song Bodies quite a bit due to the sheer ferocity of the delivery, but it's not something I'm really in a rush to see anyone try to reproduce decades later. Further, there's a lot about punk I kinda dislike and find a bit self-destructive, and the Sex Pistols are kind of a testament to that, so in that sense, yeah, it is snobbery. I still like rock music though, just with misgivings about where people draw the line between expressing themselves and being divisive for no particular reason. Sometimes I think the Sex Pistols did a good job at that and at other times they didn't.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2009, 16:34 by Alex C »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2009, 17:36 »

Growing up in New York and having been to all these alleged birthplaces of punk, I struggle to see how Television/The Velvets/Patti Smith were punk at all.

But the Punk 77 quote brings up the New York Dolls for a reason. They were the original Malcolm McLaren band, the original shock band, the original fuck you band. They just didn't break big enough at the time, and when McLaren taught a new horse the same old trick four years later it worked like a charm and the Pistols suddenly became the innovators of punk rock.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2009, 18:10 »

These bands as well. I was content to focus on Malcolm McLaren because that example brings to light just how ridiculous the claim that the Pistols are the creators of punk is better than any other example I could have made.

Will

« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2009, 20:05 »

I'm not a fan of either one of the aforementioned bands, so as the saying goes, I don't have a dog in this fight. The part that made me scratch my head when I first read this article is basically the huge chasm that separates the two bands stylistically - not speaking from their perspective as musicians so much, but from a general audience perspective. Everyone associates the Sex Pistols - whether rightly or wrongly - with punk rock; punk has its own set of ideologies and aesthetics which seem to run counterpoint to the glamorized, high-profile spectacle that, if no one else, I associate with bands like Def Leppard.

Like Tommy said, when you get right down to it, there's not a great surprise here, because both forms of rock and roll still have the same roots. It's just that they're such drastically different perceptions of flavor that the mash-up seems jarring at first.

Argue all you want as to whether the Pistols deserve the label "punk rock" but that's the scene they are associated with, and that scene was the polar opposite of what Def Leppard was doing when they did it.

There, not a single argument for or against the merits of either band, just why I originally was taken aback.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2009, 20:59 »

What Will said.  Exactly.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2009, 22:43 »

Punk's roots are in America, certainly, but hey, guess what, I'm not American. I mainly posted that not to make that claim, but to show the general guard people who were around and into punk back during the first wave of British punk. The cultural influence of The Sex Pistols was huge. The only major British punk bands I can think of that predated them are London SS (who lasted for about a year and whose members formed The Damned and The Clash, neither of whom debuted before the Pistols. The Damned played their first gig supporting the pistols) and Cock Sparrer, and CS didn't play punk initially. One single Sex Pistols show in Manchester (organised by The Buzzcocks who had formed after seeing them at an earlier London gig) lead eventually to the foundation of The Fall, Joy Division and The Smiths. Other bands more or less directly inspired by the Sex Pistols include Sham 69, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Undertones, X-Ray Spex, The Adverts, Stiff Little Fingers, Generation X, Adam & The Ants and The Slits. They also encouraged a change in the sounds of Cock Sparrer, The Stranglers and The Jam in a more punk direction. Also, their songs were fucking great, and they're still not half bad live. They  As for the idea that the Sex Pistols were not punk, please. The Sex Pistols started out as The Strand in 1973, with Steve Jones and Paul Cook already in place. Mclaren arranged rehearsal space, and recruited Matlock, who worked part time in his clothes store. This was BEFORE he briefly managed the New York Dolls. When he returned to London in 75, he found Lyden, who got into the band mainly on the basis of coming into the same shop one day wearing a Pink Floyd shirt held together by safety pins, with 'I hate' written over the band name, having green hair and singing a sneering cover of Alice Cooper's 'I'm Eighteen', which is awesome. The Sex Pistols wrote all their own music and lyrics, decided their own stage names and created their own image. McLaren had a part in naming the band, but in no way did it solely. They were hardly the Monkees. They were savage bastards who did not give a fuck, they shat on the British establishment from a quite enormous height, they made some classic tunes and absolutely revolutionised British music and beyond.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up