THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 03:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coraline  (Read 18117 times)

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
Coraline
« on: 16 Jan 2009, 18:32 »

There wasn't a Coraline thread yet? There is now a Coraline thread.

So, I just saw it yesterday at an advanced screening and it is really great.  (Henry Selick was supposed to show up for a Q&A afterward but his plane never landed).  It has a good balance of darling creaturey things, distinctive characters, beautiful art direction, and really unsettling moments.  It moves away from the weirdly deadpan tone of the book, but I think from a business perspective that was kind of necessary, especially since it's a 3D movie and that limits its marketability already. Is it also being released in a non-3D format? I saw it in 3D, and it was impressive.  I felt that the 3D technology was put to use in a way that was effective and eye-catching, but not overly distracting or gimmicky. So uh, yeah. If you aren't excited already you've got something to look forward to.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Coraline
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2009, 18:50 »

It's one of the few movies I am looking forward to in 2009, though I haven't read the story.

This, Watchmen, and Waltz with Bashir
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2009, 20:10 by Blue Kitty »

Jack Faros

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2009, 19:57 »

It's one of the few movies I am looking forward to in 2009, though I haven't read the story.

Fix'd.

Anyways, I'm a little skeptical about this movie.  It seems like they're just relying way too much on the director to sell it, and that just seems silly to me, because honestly, who the hell is he?  The Nightmare Before Christmas is on of my all time favorite movies, but when I think about who's behind it's awesomeness, I think of Burton, not Selick.  Hell, I didn't even know the director's name before they started advertising Coraline. 

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2009, 12:36 »

Actually, I think a big part of the selling point is that Stardust did so well and was critically praised, and Neil Gaiman has a pretty wide fanbase and appeal.

In my dream world, Gaiman would team up with Pratchett again and they would write an epic, multi-novel parody of Harry Potter and other novels like it.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2009, 14:16 »

Henry Sellick + Neil Gaiman = no doubt something amazing

In my dream world, Gilliam carries on his plans to make a Good Omens film, and an people try to make one for American Gods but realise how impossible that would be.
There is no sin except stupidity

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2009, 18:32 »

Man, I so can't wait to see this movie.  I'm glad to hear that you liked it.  I hope it is offered in 3D when it actually hits theaters, that sounds like so much fun!

ThePrettyMonster

• Emoticontraindication
  • :P
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:47 »

the more i see the previews the more septical i am that they are going to drift away from the plot line in the book, an act that would make me extremely unhappy considering Gaiman's original work was flawless in every way. However, it seems to beevery bit as good as Nightmare Before Christmas and James And The Giant Peach, im hoping to not be disappointed.
Addicted to QC since August 14th 2007. Thank you, Noelle Wells!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2009, 13:16 »

As far as I've heard, the plot is fairly intact.  I mean, it's a book you can read in 2 hours, so telling it visually in that time should be a no-brainer, and I doubt they'd pull any punches WRT the "creepy" stuff, because well, that's kind of the whole point of the story.

mietteissass

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:20 »

We went to see a movie in 3d the other day and they had the preview in 3d and I hear the entire movie will be in 3d. So it should be interesting. And the story if great. Im excited.

Ps I like typing 3d, I dont know why.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:43 »

Oh man oh man was it My Bloody Valentine 3D?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2009, 13:32 »

RE: MBV 3D

Overheard at a bar:  "Why did they name a movie after that shitty band?"

:-D

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2009, 15:35 »

(Henry Selick was supposed to show up for a Q&A afterward but his plane never landed)

:?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2009, 15:53 »

Well in theory his plane would have landed at some point, but it was supposed to land about 45 minutes after the film had started, and I think it was already heavily delayed by that point, and when the film was over he still hadn't landed. So I suppose he showed up in Chicago at some point, but the film screening event ended without him.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2009, 16:51 »

Selick did well enough with James and the Giant Peach for me to think he can translate the book's imagery to film, which is pretty important considering the source material and the fact that surrealist horror (hell, movies in general) benefits strongly from a "show, don't tell," mentality. After all, Gaiman puts an unusual amount of focus on visuals for a writer, probably due to his background in comic books and working with illustrators. Gaiman is after all the same guy that once said he only put an airship into Stardust because he wanted to see Charles Vess draw one.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2009, 10:49 »

RE: MBV 3D

Overheard at a bar:  "Why did they name a movie after that shitty band?"

:-D

Winner.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #15 on: 07 Feb 2009, 14:50 »

Saw it yesterday. In my opinion, a good film, but a lot of the supporting characters were underdeveloped. I wouldn't have minded an extra thirty minutes or so with Mr. Bobinsky, the actresses, the Other Mother, and Coraline's parents (Wybie was fleshed out OK, I thought).
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #16 on: 07 Feb 2009, 14:57 »

Hah, there's a review with the title "Tim Burton's new faerie story" . Bet Selick's gnashing his teeth

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
« Reply #17 on: 07 Feb 2009, 15:14 »

The poor man's probably having an aneurysm.

until they NEED IT!"

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #18 on: 07 Feb 2009, 19:14 »

That actually makes me pretty damn angry also.
Hate, rain on me

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: 07 Feb 2009, 21:17 »

The only thing that really kind of irks me about the whole shebang, and I kid you not, I love Gaiman and the adaptation, is the auto-Burton association, due to the look(which is Selick's stock and trade...though thank heaven's it didn't go the path of Monkeybone...no Chris Kattan anywhere to be seen), is that I adore Dave McKean renditions of the characters, especially Other Mother, well, all of the "other" world.  It's much more "creepy', and perhaps not as much for kids.  Probably harder to make action figure out of as well, so I can see why they went the way they did.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
« Reply #21 on: 07 Feb 2009, 22:58 »

Felrender, That review is just.... dreadfully confusing. Like, why does he keep bringing up Tim Burton? Did he do that for Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit?

until they NEED IT!"

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #22 on: 08 Feb 2009, 09:53 »

Felrender, That review is just.... dreadfully confusing. Like, why does he keep bringing up Tim Burton? Did he do that for Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit?

The worst bit is that he;s the EIC.  Way to set the standard, chief.

It's bad enough that the first preview was clearly TRYING to bait the Burton crowd.  Instead of saying "From HENRY SELICK, The director of TNBC", it was just "The director of TNBC".

Aside from the fact that Burton had a very limited hand in Nightmare.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #23 on: 08 Feb 2009, 11:45 »

His name was only really applied by the studio on who, off the success of Burton's Batman films, decided that if it had Burton's name attached to it that it would fear beeter in the market. Really, without that they didn't expect it to receive much fanfare.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #24 on: 08 Feb 2009, 13:36 »

It's not released till May here!
Argh argh argh

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:52 »

Not until April here, as far as I can tell.

Words cannot express how frustrated and annoyed these bullshit delayed releases make me feel.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2009, 07:56 »

I am with you.

Basil's Irony Corner: In May I'm going to America!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2009, 21:41 »

Hah, there's a review with the title "Tim Burton's new faerie story" . Bet Selick's gnashing his teeth

Yeah, what about Gaiman? Everytime I mention this film to people, and why I am excited about it, people are always taken aback that he had anything to do with it. How many adverts even mention him? It is very frustrating to me, so I can't even begin to imagine how he feels.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

edwinalink

• Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2009, 03:56 »

every gaiman comic i ever read bored the gummi bears out of me.

and stardust just plain sucked.

but this i liked!

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2009, 08:20 »

Yeah, what about Gaiman? Everytime I mention this film to people, and why I am excited about it, people are always taken aback that he had anything to do with it. How many adverts even mention him? It is very frustrating to me, so I can't even begin to imagine how he feels.

He was cool about it on his blog, angry on Selick's behalf, and then linked this quite funny comic:

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp02092009.shtml

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2009, 12:21 »

I liked Coraline a lot, and for the first half, i thought it might be something my daughter would enjoy, but I think she might be a little young. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2009, 15:14 »

He was cool about it on his blog, angry on Selick's behalf

Yeah, I saw that blog entry and it didn't surprise me in the least. He recognizes how lucky he has been to have his work so widely recognized in just about every interview, particularly given the forms of media he has chosen to work with. I mean, the guy has worked in the comics industry before and collaborated with all sorts of various artists. It's hard to go down that road in any capacity and not become painfully aware that big name characters often overshadow the men who work on them while guys with original characters search for niches. I mean, even people who are casually aware of comics in general probably have a hard time naming more than a half dozen writers, and several of them will probably be old guard like Stan Lee or Jack Kirby. The general public basically doesn't have a clue. And god knows working with filmmakers will do nothing ot disabuse you of any such notions.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2009, 15:16 by Alex C »

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2009, 15:59 »

all that stuff you just said

Yeah I agree, I mean so many authors hardly get recognised when their stuff gets put into films, too, whereas Neil's been mentioned sometimes even more than Henry. 

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb 2009, 16:20 »

I liked Coraline a lot, and for the first half, i thought it might be something my daughter would enjoy, but I think she might be a little young. 

yes. jason and i went to see it today and i liked it a lot, but i immediately called my mother to tell her not to take my baby sis to see it if she asks. the trailer looks like it might be a good kid movie, but i think it would be too scary for her.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #34 on: 15 Feb 2009, 16:26 »

Yeah, I mean, by comic and fantasy writer standards, Neil Gaiman is a fucking rock star. There's a Times story out there about him in which he says that 5 years ago, he was as famous as he wanted to be. Now, he thinks it's gotten uncomfortable.

atimholt

• Emoticontraindication
  • How am I supposed to fit my paradigm into this sma
« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb 2009, 23:06 »

So I watched this movie and thought the plot was a heck of a lot like "The Thief of Always," a truly awesome book. Not saying anything, but I will now look up the dates of both respective books.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thief_of_Always: 1992
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coraline: 2002
Now don't jump down my throat. I loved the movie, and consider the similarities to be due to the archetypal nature of the plot. In other words, no one copied anyone, at all. Only problem now, though, is I think I might have vague trouble reading the book of Coraline, and now they'll never make a Thief of Always movie.   :cry:

EDIT: On a second glance of the Wikipedia article, the Thief of Always live action movie is slated for release in 2010.  8-) It will be sure to garner comparisons to Coraline (not to mention Harry Potter). I vaguely hope it will be in 3D.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2009, 23:13 by atimholt »
So... stuff.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #36 on: 16 Feb 2009, 02:23 »

Yeah, I mean, by comic and fantasy writer standards, Neil Gaiman is a fucking rock star. There's a Times story out there about him in which he says that 5 years ago, he was as famous as he wanted to be. Now, he thinks it's gotten uncomfortable.

I don't think Alan Moore got half the publicity when League or Vendetta, or even From Hell came out either. Although I'm sure he detached himself from the projects when he realised they were shit or something

edwinalink

• Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #37 on: 16 Feb 2009, 02:31 »

no he detached himself period because he doesnt think his books should be movies. he hates the idea.

but he's also crazier than a box full of exgirlfriends on X.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 16 Feb 2009, 08:19 »

no he detached himself period because he doesnt think his books should be movies. he hates the idea.

but he's also crazier than a box full of exgirlfriends on X.

No, he was fine with it until he watched the movies they were making from his books. Then he told Hollywood to fuck off.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2009, 09:19 »

Vendetta wasn't too bad, I gotta say
Watchmen's put his faith back in it, though

Grrr I really want Coraline out now, here. These delays are ridiculous

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #40 on: 23 Feb 2009, 20:22 »

Watchmen's put his faith back in it, though

No it didn't.  He's still opposed to anything e did being made into movies, which is bullshit, since he knew what he was doign when he and Gibbons sold the rights.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #41 on: 24 Feb 2009, 13:55 »

Yeah, if by "faith" you mean "cash" and "it" being "his pockets." Although I don't know how it works; maybe he didn't make a dime.

As to Coraline... Good, but did anyone else pick up on the video game vibes? The animation style, the characters, the editing, the way the second half of the story became 'collect items, beat bosses'... It's not necessarily a bad crossover to make, and I'm sure it reflects the way video games have grown artistically as much as anything. But it made the pacing of the film seem particularly fast, compared alongside the hours (and the added interaction) of a normal video game. I kept having flashbacks to Psychonauts.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #42 on: 24 Feb 2009, 14:12 »

Yeah, if by "faith" you mean "cash" and "it" being "his pockets." Although I don't know how it works; maybe he didn't make a dime.

IIRC he said fuck you guys, and gave his share to David Gibbons.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 24 Feb 2009, 18:13 »

Yeah, Moore's voluntarily never made a dime off of his movies.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2009, 20:54 »

Little bit of trivia:  Mr. Bobinski's medal on his jacket was given to those who assisted in the line of danger cleaning up after the Chernobyl disaster

arkhym

• Not quite a lurker
    • twitter
« Reply #45 on: 17 May 2009, 16:57 »

Finally watched the movie this week. Have to say that it was weird and wonderful. I love the imagery, the style and the designs of the characters and the other world. The opening sequence was one the creepiest I have seen in a movie like this in a long time. My friend Matt who works at the cinema that my friends and I go to (free passes woohoo, well sometimes) has said that there have been alot of children coming out of the movie at points screaming their lungs out because they had the daylights scared out of them. One of my favourite things about the movie was the score for it performed by French composer Bruno Coulais with the choir of Nice. It was perfectly suited to the film. Honestly when I first heard the words I though it was indeed french but after listening to it a bit more it was just nonsensical which I thought was again suited better for the film. It was one of the best films I have seen this year one I will definitly be getting on blue ray when it comes out. Lets hope it doesn't take as long to come out on dvd then it did to come out to cinema's over here.
You're going to go with one of my plans? Are you nuts? What happens if we all get killed? I'll never hear the last of it.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 17 May 2009, 18:45 »

You just reminded me how badly I wanted the score. Now that I have it, I'm in such a happy place.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #47 on: 19 May 2009, 17:15 »

Fuck this reminds me I never saw this in 3D.

DAMNIT
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #48 on: 22 May 2009, 17:10 »

Why does this shithole theatre not do it in 3D? Curses
Pages: [1]   Go Up