THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There is a weird movie out and it goes by the name of Moon (no spoilers!)  (Read 8216 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Sam Rockwell plays Sam Bell, the lone minder of a Helium 3 mining operation on the dark side of that big ol' Moon. He's near the end of a 3 year contract and he's ready to go home, but when a routine job goes awry, things take a turn for the NUTSO. It features Kevin Spacey as the voice of Gerty, the mining station's robotic attendant (who communicates emotions through emoticons apparently lifted from Yahoo Chat).

I don't want to spoil the movie, suffice to say that it is relatively short (1 hour 45 minutes) and at one point, a robot is sad. If you like the Twilight Zone you'll really really like this film. The twist happens in the first 30 minutes of the movie and then it becomes matter-of-fact, giving the picture an eerie feel.

You should see it!
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

I loved it, especially Kevin Spacey as Gert.  My chemist friend is pissed off about Helium 3, but besides that he loved it.  Not as big a twist as I thought it would have, but I loved the confined space and the characters interactions.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Yeah it really wouldn't work without Rockwell. Few actors play "just a bit off" like that guy.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

scarred

• Older than Moses

I really, really want to see this and I just haven't had the time (it's only playing at awkward hours in the city at an indie theater SO FAR AWAY).
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs

Oh man, this was so disappointing.  The special effects, the scenery, the acting, it was all great, but I felt no "eerie feel" during the middle/end.  It felt boring and pointless.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

I intend to see it after my HSC trials, it looks and sounds fantastic!

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza

[insert my usual rant about the delayed release dates for Australia]

I really want to see this film
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer

I really, really want to see this and I just haven't had the time (it's only playing at awkward hours in the city at an indie theater SO FAR AWAY).
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

hey, i forgot about this movie. i remember seeing a preview for it somewhere and really wanting to see it but then i totally forgot about it.

is it out on dvd or what?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

It was pretty good! I was satisfied with it, and considered it worth my coin. Sam Rockwell was very good, as expected, and I didn't see the entire movie coming, though it was not really like full o' surprises.

Faker

• Furry furrier

It is fantastic and the "twist" happens fairly early in and lets the film go off and develop the story and the characters rather than being gimmicky and trying to keep the audience guessing.

Rockwell is class, but my favorite element of the whole thing is the score which is stunning.
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

knives

• Furry furrier

Rockwell is class, but my favorite element of the whole thing is the score which is stunning.
I usually hate scores, but this one was indeed stunning. Mistaken science, they way they show the mining mostly, this was very good and I was too glad that the movie didn't hing on its twist. Too any films do that nowadays. I do think it made me more paranoid though.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier

I saw this movie last night and also really enjoyed it. Eric and I had discussed the twist before hand and were right, and this didn't change my opinion at all. It was really thoughtfully and well done. Sam Rockwell was amazing and the Gherty was so great! I love a robot showing compassion. If that is the right word.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I think it was showing in a single time at my local theatre for like three days, and now its no longer showing or something or it all confuses me so its pissing me off because I want to see it.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

feerqeer

• Not quite a lurker

Something about your description reminds me of this movie that's in production, there's a massive cast and it's shot from multiple angles at once.  There's no editing, no stars, and the characters play the actors.  Sometimes people make this huge deal about what's happening and forget they're on stage, acting.  There's a huge fucking Deus Ex Machina which confuses some of the actors sometimes, because they're playing it (the DEM) but it's different for every person.  It's really freeform, and the premise is addictive.
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2009, 09:04 by feerqeer »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

That I initially watched the trailer for New Moon made the one of Moon so much better. Too bad it won't be showing here until October.

What is wrong with Helium-3 in a chemical sense, though?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Yeah, I forgot to mention the score. It's done by Clint Mansell, who scored all of Darren Aranofsky's films save for The Wrestler.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down

I have been offered tickets to go see this at the Brisbane International Film Festival (BIFFin it yo) and I might take them up on it despite the fact that they are not tickets to see Black Dynamite
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

Oh man, this was so disappointing.  The special effects, the scenery, the acting, it was all great, but I felt no "eerie feel" during the middle/end.  It felt boring and pointless.

I sort of agree with this. Basically, I think this film would have worked better as a short film.

But, you get to see Sam Rockwell's butt. Dude has pretty big thighs for such a small man.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Lines

• Awakened

Now that I know what this is other than just a title on the local indie theater, I want to see this. Spacey and Rockwell are both awesome.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

Saw this today. Me and my boy mike were pretty much going holy shit holy shit the whole time. I liked it a whole lot!
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down

The twist happens in the first 30 minutes of the movie and then it becomes matter-of-fact, giving the picture an eerie feel.

I really liked the way the resolution of the movie was addressing the social implications of said twist, making the sombre atmosphere of the movie kind of non-specifically poignant.

Also awesome space banter/beards
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk
Pages: [1]   Go Up