THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 17:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alt-Country, Folk, & Roots: The Twang Thread  (Read 27468 times)

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
Alt-Country, Folk, & Roots: The Twang Thread
« on: 30 May 2009, 17:42 »

I've had an itch since I first heard Tupelo/Wilco/Son Valt that never went away. As much as I loved the newer Okkervil River stuff, I will always have a soft spot for their older stuff too. Recently, thanks to QC, I was introduced to William Elliot Whitmore--whom, I greatly enjoy. Even the midtempo Band of Horses was nice; though, I also enjoyed the less-Young, more-Crosby Grand Archives. Further including more conventional 'country' such as DBT/Isbell. Even the once-Neil Young devoted MMJ I would include in this group.

At any rate, one would imagine there are more "alt-country/folk" fans out there. Recommend and pedantically converse away. I apologize for the nebulous, all-encompassing topic; I'm not very good with "scenes".

As an offering, here's the new Son Volt record. Hopefully, this does not anger the Gods as Wilco: The Album hast done.

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?kmbdujoyujt
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Alt-Country, Folk, & Roots: The Twang Thread
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2009, 17:59 »

The Devil Makes Three
Silver Jews
Scott H. Biram
Akron/Family (what? there's a little country in there!)
Mr. Bear (more folky but he plays a banjo pretty well)
O' Death
Hillstomp
Black Lips (most notably the song "How Do You Tell A Child Someone Has Died?")
Blitzen Trapper (the album Wild Mountain Nation, i haven't heard their other stuff)
The Esther Caulfield Orchestra
Shitkickers

this list spans lots of different sub-genres of country and, as such, might not always be to your taste but man there is some good shit in here so i'd reckomend trying out them all, if you have the time/will. actually, a couple of them aren't really country at all but they must have made it onto the list for some reason so....check 'em out?

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2009, 18:00 »

One of my favourite Alt/Country singers at the moment is Brett Dennen so i have borrowed some links from the mediaf!re thread to present to you.

Brett Dennen - Brett Dennen
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?hzxgyoj23lm

Brett Dennen - So Much More
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?w4xmamvypme

Brett Dennen - Hope for the Hopeless
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?gmez4zgwhyv

Other favourites are:
William Elliott Whitmore
Joseph Arthur
The Watson Twins
Limbeck
Old Crow Medicine Show
Eastmountainsouth
« Last Edit: 31 May 2009, 09:57 by the_pied_piper »
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2009, 18:21 »

Old Crow Medicine Show

This. right here. Also, listen to Will oldham/ Bonnie "Prince" Billy/Palace Brothers. It's not always country-ish. but hey. I'm pretty sure we had a pretty large discussion about him a while ago, and a hell of a lot of his stuff is in the MF thread.

Babpacih

• Plantmonster
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2009, 18:48 »

old crow is awesome

Marah
Hank III (and his damn band, checkout Assjack for the same guy doing metal)
Shooter Jennings
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (third album, Howl)
Clutch (they've kinda got that, but only on later albums. the first ones where more metal)
Go To Blazes

all fun!
Do you remember a time when women couldn't vote and certain people weren't allowed on golf courses? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2009, 19:33 »

If the idea of a bunch of punk rock dudes playing alt-country sounds intriguing, check out Halfacre Gunroom's cd "Wrecked."
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Koremora

• Oh, hey.
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2009, 19:48 »

I second new Clutch and also offer Neko Case into the mix. Fox Confessor Brings the Flood and Middle Cyclone are excellent.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Be My Head

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2009, 19:50 »

If the idea of a bunch of punk rock dudes playing alt-country sounds intriguing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwood_Music_Under_Slow_Pillars

gospel

• the word
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2009, 20:10 »

Yeah, it seems a lot of punk rockers go into country music. I wonder why that is.

John Doe and the Sadies (formally of X)

http://www.mediafire.com/?lhlqojylnhe
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2009, 20:18 »

There is this post that tyler made in the mediaf!re thread with some Bonnie Prince albums.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2009, 20:37 »

Yeah, it seems a lot of punk rockers go into country music. I wonder why that is.

I dunno, but Mike Ness did it like, ten years ago. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?qiw3n2hyykm
Alright, so I can't remember off the top of my head which country album he put out first, so I just randomly picked one.  I have Cheating at Solitaire too if anyone is interested.

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2009, 20:54 »

Horse Feathers?   Sounds quite a bit like Sam Bean from Iron & Wine, bit more .. tender?  I dunno.  They have a cellist.  Hell yeah.

Free download stuff on that site that gets bands to play and releases it for free... I can't be arsed looking it up, but it's in the Alternatives To Downloadin' thread.

JimmyJazz

• World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2009, 21:08 »

How has no one here mentioned the Avett Brothers yet? 'Cause they are the shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrDp98bQwhw

All their records are good, but their newest one, Emotionalism, is probably the best place to start.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2009, 22:24 »

In time I will return to this thread (about time it existed) and search for some of the suggested folks. For now, I will just say that holy shit I love Old Crow Medicine Show. Saw 'em for the second time last week, first row, dancing my ass off. I would follow that band to the fucking ends of the earth. They also seem like cool dudes, in my limited experience in chatting with some of them.

And people have this God damn irrational prejudice against anything "country." I listen to good stuff, wonder why these people hate country, then I remember what they think country is. Nashville fail.

Catacombs

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2009, 22:46 »

As soon as I read the title to this thread, I knew it would be full of ultra win.  And it is.  Off the top of my head, I'd suggest these artists/bands:

- Lucero.  One of my favorite bands at the moment.  Their album Tennessee might be in my top 10, if not definitely top 20.  Their singers voice is whisky soaked, and the guitars are super twangy.  Their most recent album is also very good, but also a little more Springsteen influenced, which is still good in my case.  The singer (Ben Nichols) just released a solo album too, which is more folksy than Lucero.
- Chuck Ragan - Feast or Famine  Former singer for punk group Hot Water Music.  Some songs are just him and an acoustic guitar, other songs feature a banjo or fiddle.  He also has another album out with Austin Lucas called Bristle Ridge that unfortunately I don't have, but sounds even more country/folksy than Feast.
- Chris Wollard & the Ship Thieves - Also a former singer for Hot Water Music, this is probably least country thing here
I think someone suggested Limbeck earlier.  They're like a pop-punk approach to alt-country.  I only own their album Hi Everything's Great, but I like it, its a fun album.
If you're a fan of At the Drive-In or Sparta, Jim Ward had an alt-country side project called Sleepercar.  I don't remember if their album West Texas is any good, but I can't find it, so sorry about that.

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm missing, but it's late and I had a busy day.  If you only get one thing from this post, get Tennessee or Feast or Famine.  They both are probably in the MF thread (the second is definitely there, as I put it there a few months ago).
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2009, 03:16 »

If you haven't got Mark (Jayhawks) Olson's album Salvation Blues from a couple of years ago, you should rush out and get it right now. In my opinion it's one of the best albums of recent years - proof (if any was needed) that you can listen to all the ground-breaking and experimental albums you want but when it comes to the crunch, nothing beats plain old great songwriting. His MySpace has several songs from the album on it: http://www.myspace.com/markolsonmusic.

As for real, deep non-"alt" country, it's hard to go past Iris DeMent. Her most famous song is "[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghVAH_WX-9I]Our Town[/url]" (it's also one of her best), but she's got a tonne of other great ones, too.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2009, 06:56 »

Uh, in what way has the new Wilco record angered the gods? Or is that a reference to Jay Bennett's passing? Because if it is, that's a bit cold, man.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2009, 13:33 »

^ I realize now the possibly uncouth interpretation. I meant it, poorly, to represent its seemingly poor (in my mind accurate) reception.

If you haven't got Mark (Jayhawks) Olson's album Salvation Blues from a couple of years ago, you should rush out and get it right now. In my opinion it's one of the best albums of recent years - proof (if any was needed) that you can listen to all the ground-breaking and experimental albums you want but when it comes to the crunch, nothing beats plain old great songwriting. His MySpace has several songs from the album on it: http://www.myspace.com/markolsonmusic.

As for real, deep non-"alt" country, it's hard to go past Iris DeMent. Her most famous song is "Our Town" (it's also one of her best), but she's got a tonne of other great ones, too.
Working my way up through the bands I haven't heard yet. I thought I'd mention, though, that these albums recommended are excellent.

Mark Olson - Salvation Blues

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjzewmgdna2
Iris DeMent - Infamous Angel

http://www.mediafire.com/?1wzmzihlnkt
How has no one here mentioned the Avett Brothers yet? 'Cause they are the shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrDp98bQwhw

All their records are good, but their newest one, Emotionalism, is probably the best place to start.Also,
Also excellent.

The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

http://www.mediafire.com/?dm25zqm245m
http://www.mediafire.com/?zdc3tnmd3yo

-Abraham Lincoln

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2009, 18:12 »

Speaking of The Jayhawks, Mark Olson and Gary Louris recently put out an album together (which I haven't heard all the way through yet, I'm downloading it now).  The Current (Minnesota public radio's new music station) has been playing one of the tracks to death, but it's so excellent I don't even care.  It's called "Turn Your Pretty Name Around".  Here's a youtube.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2009, 18:41 »

There's some good songs on that album, but the album as a whole is disappointing. I mean I'm probably holding them to too high a standard, but after Salvation Blues and with the weight of expectation that comes with the two main guys from the Jayhawks reuniting, the album just wasn't everything I'd hoped it would be. I think the main problem is it just has too many songs: it could've done with a good cull. But I guess that's not really a problem in this day and age unless you're an album purist like me.

Incidentally I went to see Mark Olson and Gary Louris perform a couple of weeks ago, touring the album, and they look to be having the time of their lives. I love a happy reunion!

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2009, 18:56 »

The Dutchess and the Duke. Their album was probably my favorite release from last year. Male/female dual vocals, a couple guitars and bleak, Leonard Clohen-esque lyrics.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2009, 20:37 »

The Felice Brothers are a pretty awesome Alt-Folk-Country-esque band from right across the river from me in Upstate, NY.  I've been meaning to upload some of their albums in the mediafire thread for a while but my connection at home has been pretty fail, hopefully i'll have them up soon.

For now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9x4S3-wVY

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2009, 23:30 »

I used to really dig Chamberlain.  Careful what you pick up, though.  They switched from being a sort of hardcore band (originally Split Lip) to a emo band sort of the vein of Sunny Day Real Estate, to a a roots rock band.  If like those genres, however, all of the styles they played in they did well.  Their singer, David Moore, still puts out some really pretty records. 

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jun 2009, 10:31 »

The Dutchess and the Duke. Their album was probably my favorite release from last year. Male/female dual vocals, a couple guitars and bleak, Leonard Clohen-esque lyrics.

these guys are sweet! i saw them at Sasquatch last monday having never heard of them before and i was impressed.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jun 2009, 14:31 »

Jon-Rae Fletcher is a truly incredible Canadian artist. He sings heavily gospel-influenced folk music, which itself is pretty rad, but what really makes his music special is his keen lyric eye and his truly exceptional voice. The son of a travelin' preacher, Jon-Rae sings in a rich, full-bodied and intensely expressive tenor, giving his songs revelatory power.

That he even released Oh, Maria at all is a bit surprising. You see, Jon-Rae used to be the frontman for a band named Jon-Rae & The River, a full-band gospel revival act that sang about drinkin' and fuckin' and all the good crude things in life. They toured with Ladyhawk and the Constantines and released a really great, upbeat record titled Knows What You Need. The River - including Jon-Rae's wife - were doing pretty alright. Unfortunately, Jon-Rae's drinking spiraled out of control and it's generally surmised that at some point he fucked around on his wife. The River dissolved and Jon-Rae left Toronto, disappearing west. A friend of mine saw him working at a 7-11 in Kamloops, half-drunk.

Last year, he re-emerged in Vancouver, touring by himself with bands like WOMEN. Eventually he sat down with friends like Ladyhawk's Darcy Hancock and Immaculate Machine's Kathryn Calder to write and record Oh, Maria, a devastating song-cycle that mixes his betrayal of his wife with the narrative of a serial killer. The songs are sparse, beautiful and emotionally complex - despite their grim subject matter, what they ultimately inspire is sympathy for the devil. These are uplifting hymns for the regretful. Through them, Jon-Rae voices the eternal fuckup's hope to make mistakes right again. It's an album of shocking passion and overwhelming hope for the redemption of the human spirit, tender and quietly glorious.

This is one of my favourite albums of the year!

http://www.med!afire.com/?sharekey=df2ae3e57732f501ed24a2875c7fa58ee04e75f6e8ebb871
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #26 on: 01 Jun 2009, 15:51 »

that sounds pretty great, Johnny. downloadin' now.

in the meantime, here is The Esther Caulfield Orchestra's album Good Morning, Whiskey Breakfast which i mentioned earlier and have posted on these here forums once or twice before because goddamnit it is good fucking music and not nearly enough people appreciate it.

The Esther Caulfield Orchestra - Good Morning, Whiskey Breakfast

album art (link because it is pretty big)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mzktzzqhjeo

if the term "psychedelic country" sounds appealling and intriguing to you, then i recommend downloading this record pronto.

bonus: you don't have to feel bad for downloading it because he* gives it away for free on his website anyway.

*oh yeah, did i mention that all vocals and instruments are the work of one man? yeah.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jun 2009, 19:56 »

This thread is paying off rediuclously awesome dividends. Much appreciation, Johnny; that CD/singer is really amazing, to say the least.

-Abraham Lincoln

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 01 Jun 2009, 20:19 »

Jon-Rae Fletcher

I never really listened to Jon-Rae & the River but this new album seems pretty damn awesome. Have you ever listened to Timber Timbre? He is a really humble dude from Toronto who sings gothic folk/blues songs. His music seems like the kind of thing you would be into. He was recently signed to Arts & Crafts after putting out a few amazing records for a smaller Toronto label Out of This Spark. I can't even begin to describe how powerful this dude's live show is. The songs are really awesome on record, but live they sound absolutely apocalyptic. He usually shuts out all the light and plays the songs with just a very ominous guitar, and sometimes violin accompaniment. His voice is so haunting. I have seen him everywhere from someone's living room to a crowded bar full of dicks who wouldn't stop talking to a church and every time it is incredible.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 01 Jun 2009, 20:36 »

The Old 97's are freaking great; their last couple albums have been a little weak, but you can't get any better than "Satellite Rides."
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #30 on: 02 Jun 2009, 13:16 »

Any A.A. Bondy fans out there?  http://www.myspace.com/aabondy  Pick up American Heart.  It's simply beautiful.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jun 2009, 06:12 »

Some love for a local label. They have a 10y anniversary compilation too -- which I can upload as well. Though, It's not quite as good as this 5-year one; it's fairly hit-or-miss comparatively (not without its gems).

Down to the Promised Land: 5 Years of Bloodshot Records (320Kbit)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?uzmzugu1kum
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?24ue2g0mtmm
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hmnmdz2wmim
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jveqnnjtdzu
Since hoisting the "insurgent country" banner in 1995, Chicago's Bloodshot Records has provided refuge for former punk rockers who embrace Hank Williams Sr. as patron saint and Lefty Frizzell as kindred spirit. Informed by equal measures of attitude, alcohol, and twang, this raucously vibrant birthday collection of previously unreleased material resists the corral of categorical conformity. Instead, highlights range from the Waco Brothers' banjo-driven breakdown of the Who's "Baba O'Riley" to the shimmering, haunted ballad, "Favorite," by Neko Case and Jon Rauhouse. Featured within the 40 tracks on this two-disc extravaganza are label stalwarts such as Alejandro Escovedo (renewing Mick Jagger's "Evening Gown"), Robbie Fulks, and Kelly Hogan, along with guest artists ranging from Graham Parker to Giant Sand. Plainly a labor of love, the set provides a definitive survey of the diversity of music carrying the alternative-country brand.

Disc 1: 71:21
01. Oh! Chicago (The Yayhoos)
02. Evening Gown (Alejandro Escovedo)
03. Making Love With You (Old 97's)
04. Favorite (Neko Case & Jon Rauhouse)
05. Roses Are Blooming (The Hollisters)
06. Oh Lonesome Me (Anna Fermin's Trigger Gospel)
07. Sunshine (The Meat Purveyors)
08. Money To Burn (Rico Bell)
09. I Hear a Sweet Voice Calling (The Handsome Family)
10. Easy Ridin' Mama (Devil in a Woodpile)
11. Please Take the Devil Out of Me (Caitlin Cary)
12. Why Drunky? (The Blacks)
13. The Least I Could Do (Supersuckers w/Amy Nelson)
14. Going Home (The Roughnecks)
15. It's Too Late (The Riptones)
16. Hell or High Water (Johnny Dowd)
17. Unforgiven (Hazeldine)
18. Turn the Lights Down Low (Moonshine Willy)
19. Blue Diamond Mine (Texas Rubies)
20. Baba O'Riley (The Waco Brothers)

Disc 2: 70:51
01. Bloodshot's Turning 5 (Robbie Fulks)
02. Here Comes My Ball and Chain Again (Cornell Hurd Band)
03. See Willy Fly By (Graham Parker w/ The Waco Brothers)
04. Looks Like I'm Up Shit Creek Again [Tom Waits cover] (Nora O'Connor)
05. Milk and Scissors [Handsome Family cover] (The Sadies)
06. Broken A/C Blues (Duane Jarvis)
07. Wicked Saviour (Rex Hobart & the Misery Boys)
08. Glue (Andre Williams & Sally Timms)
09. Guitar Playin' Woman (Bare Jr)
10. Hard on Things (Giant Sand)
11. Monday Night (Ryan Adams)
12. Ghost on the Highway [Gun Club cover] (Trailer Bride)
13. I'd Like To (Mike Ireland)
14. Kelly Hogan & the Pine Valley Cosmonauts ---- "13 Nights" (Paul Burch cover)
15. Hang Your Head in Shame (Grievous Angels)
16. Last To Know [Alejandro cover] (Chris Mills & Deanna Varagona)
17. Bring the Noise [Public Enemy cover] (The Unholy Trio)
18. Brixton (Chip Taylor & Jon Langford)
19. Train Song (Split Lip Rayfield)
20. Highway to Hell [AC/DC cover, but you knew that] (Red Star Belgrad)
21. Jon Rauhaus W*nking (Jon Rauhaus)

-Abraham Lincoln

Commodore

• Plantmonster
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jun 2009, 06:58 »

Nickel Creek's last album before they broke up, Why Should The Fire Die? is truly spectacular.  Their previous albums were decidedly more bluegrass, and that influence shows way through with the fiddle and the banjos and other delicious whatnot, but the album takes more of a turn for the 'indie'.  It's definitely worth a listen.

Zingoleb

« Reply #33 on: 06 Dec 2009, 15:51 »

May as well.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2009, 04:44 by Zingoleb »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #34 on: 06 Dec 2009, 17:22 »

So how about those Dixie Chicks?

Mein Tumblr

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #35 on: 06 Dec 2009, 17:30 »

I used to make this thread all the time!

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #36 on: 06 Dec 2009, 18:29 »

Hillfolk Noir - Diggin' Songs
http://www.med!afire.com/?sharekey=21986019cbd3b2518ef1259ff1b60e81125c1ef6f77ae26284bbec0582a7e90e
This is the band of lead by the husband of my former chemistry teacher. I strongly suggest you check them out. They're a great folk country band with fantastic music, vocals and lyrics.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #37 on: 06 Dec 2009, 22:55 »

Y'all should peep/scope The Everybodyfields, which is a dude and a lady doin awesome sad folky songs, Glossary, which is like, southern country rock that's wonderful, their record "The Better Angels Of Our Nature" is one of the best of the year, The National Lights, which is the darkest but most beautiful stuff I've heard in a while, and Holopaw, who are just really good, older, folky alt-country.

Also, Richard Shindell, Sparrows Point.

Zingoleb

« Reply #38 on: 07 Dec 2009, 04:45 »

So how about those Dixie Chicks?

I actually really enjoy Wide Open Spaces but then again I grew up on it so maybe I'm just biased?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 07 Dec 2009, 05:26 »

I'm not overly keen on their music, but I saw that documentary about them vs. the redneck country & western Republicans and they seemed like pretty cool people.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #40 on: 07 Dec 2009, 14:45 »

this is weird.
so I downloaded that Jon-Rae Fletcher album back when it first got posted...and promptly forgot about it. I saw it on my iPod the other day and thought "what is that?" and now I can't stop listening to it.

Coincidentally enough, somebody just happens to bump this thread...and not only that, but I just happened to be listening to it right now when I saw this thread again.

oh fuck i just got to the part on the last track where he's all "...and so I die. So I die. Oh, Maria!"

fuck that is some tear-jerking lamentation, right there.  :cry:

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #41 on: 07 Dec 2009, 15:51 »

I'm not overly keen on their music, but I saw that documentary about them vs. the redneck country & western Republicans and they seemed like pretty cool people.
I have the album they made after the Bush thing. It's got some interviews and a music video with it too. I'll upload it if anyone wants it.

Mein Tumblr

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 08 Dec 2009, 00:02 »

Langhorne Slim!
Two Gallants!
Murder by Death
Blitzen Trapper
Rocky Votolato
Songs: Ohia
Magnolia Electric Co
jason molina will buy your hot doug hotdogs if you don't like them, this song isn't even that awesome but he is talking about HOT DOUGS
Sun Kil Moon
Red House Painters
Townes Van Zant, of course

i had my old radio show for like... three years. this ended up becoming my specialty, i started out with a broad anything on a non-major label that is good, and the longer i did the show, the more narrowed down it became. This list is going from awesome fun drinking whiskey with friends to lonely alone alienated wanting to drink alone and die songs.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #43 on: 08 Dec 2009, 10:18 »

speaking of hot dogs, has anyone mentioned Hasil Adkins yet?
He has a song called "No More Hotdogs" about killing his wife and putting her head on his wall because she only cooks hotdogs for dinner and he's sick of it.

go listen to Hasil Adkins.

carrotosaurus

• Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #44 on: 08 Dec 2009, 10:19 »

I just found out about this band called Yarn and they are a pretty good alt-country bluegrass band.

godspeed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #45 on: 08 Dec 2009, 17:09 »

How did this thread get this far without a single mention of ryan adams and whisleytown?

You Are Brahman!

• Plantmonster
    • Rumbelow
« Reply #46 on: 10 Dec 2009, 14:54 »

Folk music, which often comes from a fairly frequently stepped on demographic (Ahem, Appalachia!) has a lot of political roots.  It doesn't surprise me in the lease that folk and punk get together so nicely. 

I second Brett Dennen, thank you for jumping on that. 

I'm promoting a really great guy from Harrisonburg, VA.  Trent Wagler makes our community dance and smile on frequent occasions.  Fiddle, Guitar, Stand-Up Bass.   

If you like it, maybe I'll post in the MF thread, too?
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?zd1unuowb2g
Pages: [1]   Go Up