THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 18:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: June 8-12, 2009  (Read 41124 times)

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
Re: WCT: June 8-12, 2009
« Reply #150 on: 12 Jun 2009, 13:36 »

I want to know what kind of awesome bar has fancy finery on tap. lol
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #151 on: 12 Jun 2009, 14:11 »

The comic reminds me of this scene in Beerfest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eogh3PuoByo

Manix

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #152 on: 12 Jun 2009, 14:25 »

...I fail to understand the Angus hate.

Seriously, judging by a majority of the justifications I've read, it seems that a number of you have completely misinterpreted his presence in this comic. Stalkerish? Annoying? Disgusting?

He's just an average guy, a little dorky at worst. And he seems to get along rather well with the cast. I would say he even seems like a decent fit into their group.

Where is all of this hate coming from?
I'm of the belief that alot of people who hate Angus are...
1. Angry Marten/Faye shippers, still upset their ship didn't sail, and thus, hysterically violten to anyone who threatens Faye's singleness ( so long as she single, Marten/Faye can still happen!).
2. People who don't like the fact that Angus isn't as physically attractive as Sven.

ModernRonin

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #153 on: 12 Jun 2009, 15:06 »

I have some more song title suggestions for Sven:

http://humour.200ok.com.au/25cw_songs.html

Personal favorite? Gotta be "I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You". :grin:

D

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #154 on: 12 Jun 2009, 16:21 »

1. Angry Marten/Faye shippers
I think angry Sven/Faye shippers is more likely, myself being a former shipper of Marten and Faye who has long since accepted Marten and Dora as a couple. I really like Angus though, he is an entertaining character and the interactions between him and Faye are far more fun to read than those between Faye and Sven.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #155 on: 12 Jun 2009, 18:40 »

Seriously, judging by a majority of the justifications I've read, it seems that a number of you have completely misinterpreted his presence in this comic. Stalkerish? Annoying? Disgusting?

He's just an average guy, a little dorky at worst. And he seems to get along rather well with the cast. I would say he even seems like a decent fit into their group.

1. Angry Marten/Faye shippers, still upset their ship didn't sail, and thus, hysterically violten to anyone who threatens Faye's singleness ( so long as she single, Marten/Faye can still happen!).
2. People who don't like the fact that Angus isn't as physically attractive as Sven.
Are you kidding? Marten/Faye is the one thing in this comic that can NEVER, EVER, EVER happen. No, just no. And reason 2... what? I don't care if Angus is the platonic goddamn IDEAL of fairness. He still needs to leave Faye alone, she is hurt and vulnerable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #156 on: 12 Jun 2009, 18:53 »

That's a really interesting point.

Jeph has in general chosen a pretty realistic approach to his comic. Even the little robots running around have consistent characterization and act according to a consistent logic.

This choice makes it easier to care about the characters.

Are the ventures into surrealism, like the Department of Kicking Your Ass, so funny just because Jeph only does them as occasional exceptions?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #157 on: 12 Jun 2009, 19:15 »

That's a really interesting point.

Jeph has in general chosen a pretty realistic approach to his comic. Even the little robots running around have consistent characterization and act according to a consistent logic.

This choice makes it easier to care about the characters.

Are the ventures into surrealism, like the Department of Kicking Your Ass, so funny just because Jeph only does them as occasional exceptions?
Most definitely. His most egregious departure from "reality", comic #666, he even had the decency to declare non-canonical.

Manix

« Reply #158 on: 12 Jun 2009, 20:10 »

Are you kidding? Marten/Faye is the one thing in this comic that can NEVER, EVER, EVER happen. No, just no. And reason 2... what? I don't care if Angus is the platonic goddamn IDEAL of fairness. He still needs to leave Faye alone, she is hurt and vulnerable.

You're making Faye sound like some wilting lily, so hurt and traumatized by her past that she cannot bear to even live! AT least that's the kind of impression I'm getting from all these Angus haters. Faye does have ahurtful past, but it's not effecting her to the point where she's not acting like Faye. She's still a tough, foul mouthed quasi-bitch, who can still remain loyal to her friends and have fun.

You know, this entire debate is pointless! Jeph is still going to use Angus whether we want him to or not. Jeph doesn't strike me as being too similar to, say, modern comic book publishers, who frequently change around stories to add elements fans want. If Jeph has decided to use Angus and make him part of the cast, it is set in stone!

Jeez! I'm finally starting to understand all those people who say "But they're just fictional characters."

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #159 on: 12 Jun 2009, 21:10 »

I don't think Steve's advendture falls into that category, because it had lasting repercussions and everybody remembers it. The non-continuity strips are such because the events depicted aren't canonical, I'd think.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #160 on: 12 Jun 2009, 22:20 »

"Surreal" in the sense of something that wouldn't happen in our reality. Bad relationships are part of our world, troublesome computers are part of our world even if ours don't walk and talk, but Steve's adventure was part of a world that overlaps with the James Bond world. Yes to your point that it was part of QC's "reality", unlike say #666.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

innermoppet

• Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #161 on: 13 Jun 2009, 08:16 »

I like Angus. He is sweet. And awkward.

Faye told her therapist that Angus was "hot".  So she is attracted to him at least physically.

Faye just likes being righteously indignant about anything she can. She is very defeatist that way. She hung out with Sven so she could bitch at him about what a lousy person he is and have something to rant about. Angus doesn't give her much to rant about and I think she is really reaching when she complains that he is "stalking" her.

I think if she let him, he could be a good friend to her.
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

JohnTheWysard

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #162 on: 13 Jun 2009, 12:06 »

"Awkward Zone: Defeated" has the makings of a print.

Yup. Gave me a good laugh!

The only jarring note is the uncharacteristic intrusion of style and elegance into the QC universe...  :wink:

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #163 on: 13 Jun 2009, 15:20 »

I think everyone's being too hard on Angus. It's not like he knows about her father killing himself right in front of her, or Sven being a manwhore and hurting her feelings. He has no reason to be sensitive about things he doesn't know about.

soniku64

• Plantmonster
  • What is love? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me...
« Reply #164 on: 13 Jun 2009, 15:27 »

I seee Jeph has a love for fancy outfits as much as I do. I have about 7 badly Paint.net drawn Top Hats and Monacles added on to a few pictures...

Official supporter of SnowmanxEveryone

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #165 on: 13 Jun 2009, 16:55 »

Angus seems to be a good person, but his opening in #779 was on the tasteless side, and she told him pretty directly to leave her alone in #780, with some further insistence on boundaries in #784.

I wonder about him, because I don't think he's seen Faye's good side. Either he's so perceptive that he sees through her porcupine defenses, or he's gravitating to unhealthy relationships. Given his ex, I suspect the latter. Someone attracted to the worst in Faye doesn't seem likely to be good for her.

(I realize that even if they were real this would be none of my business).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #166 on: 13 Jun 2009, 22:49 »

Look, I don't even like Faye all that much, and I still get the urge to pick up Angus by his scrawny neck and RIP HIS GODDAMN EYES OUT AND MAKE HIM EAT THEM.

holy SHIT. this guy needs to LEARN HIS DAMN BOUNDARIES.

zilch365

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #167 on: 13 Jun 2009, 23:39 »

We can all agree that the reason that Angus hangs around is because of Faye right? Frankly, he doesn't seem like that bad of a person as some people make him out to be. "Boundries" be damned I say. He likes Faye, and she has this whole aggressive repulsion thing going on with the people in her life. There's something to be said about matching wits with a character, a la Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing."

I'm not pretending to know the whole character development that Jeph has in mind, but seriously who's never heard the idea that opposites attract. I mean really, Angus gets paid to lose arguments. Anytime he could get to try and win one or at least defend a position righteously seems like something he might enjoy thoroughly. Even if Faye really doesn't like him, it's not like he knows that.

The only inkling we could have is the fact that she just got out of a bad relationship, sort of, and frankly there are way too many unknowns with Faye's personality to judge whether she is or isn't interested.

Anyway, I know that I'm a n00b here in the forum, but I've kinda got this OCD thing with stories that I find interesting. I read the whole series in one night basically non-stop and this opinion is the result of it. Of course it could be the fact that I've been up for 24 hours straight with the help of adderall, but whatever.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #168 on: 13 Jun 2009, 23:58 »

Does he like Faye, or does he just like arguing with her?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #169 on: 14 Jun 2009, 01:48 »

Does he like Faye, or does he just like arguing with her?
I think the question would be more if he likes her (normal use of the verb), or if he likes her (euphemistic use of the verb). I'm pretty sure of the former, and matching wits is definitely part of it. I'm not quite certain of the latter, although I think he may be growing fond of her. And matching wits is definitely part of it.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #170 on: 15 Jun 2009, 02:19 »

People may be disliking Angus, but you all seem to be forgetting this is a slice-of-life comic.

You'll run in to people like this and you'll just have to deal with them.
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up