THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GO SEE A DRUM CORPS SHOW  (Read 3058 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
GO SEE A DRUM CORPS SHOW
« on: 09 Jun 2009, 19:08 »

GO SEE A DRUM CORPS SHOW

So folks, I haven't been around here in a while, and part of that reason is because I have been busy.

As many of you know, I have always been big into the 'marching arts', and in particular Drum and Bugle Corps. These are organizations that every summer take thousands of people from around the country and world to put on a show that they will continue to clean and perform every day throughout the summer. The result is a musical, visual, and dance ensemble that is cleaner, louder (without amplification), and more musically expressive than most any group that I have ever seen.

There are quite a few videos on Youtube that demonstrate what you should expect from the end product.

Here's the trick though, these organizations, much like your average rock group make most of their money off of shows and the merchandise they sell there. The main difference however, is that tickets generally don't get ticketmastered, and instead sold from either the DCI/DCA website or straight from the corps, greatly reducing markup. For these shows of usually between 500 and 1500 musicians and dancers, tickets are usually between $15 and $50 (for the ultra-premium seats near the judges' box). Without people at these shows, these organizations could die out forever.

So, children, this is what we are going to do about it.

1. Go to the schedule for Drum Corps International (A 'junior corps' circuit, where all performers are under or at 21 years of age) or Drum Corps Associates (A 'senior corps' circuit, where performers of all ages are allowed to perform) and look for a show near you.

2. Buy a ticket and GO SEE A DRUM CORPS SHOW

3. Feel free to  use this thread to 'sell' some kind of performance or art that more people should be going out and seeing. Tell us about your favorite performance, how to find them, and why we should go. Visual aids will count toward your grade.

EDIT: It seems that nobody had a step three to post, so I can change the title for now until somebody does.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2009, 15:12 by IronOxide »
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
Re: GO SEE A _________ SHOW
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2009, 19:12 »

Or, go see a drumcorps show!
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

pamplemousse

• Not quite a lurker
  • om nom nom
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2009, 20:45 »

One of the band directors at my high school actually worked with the Cavaliers!  Also, Bret Kuhn arranged the percussion work for our marching show this season.  Serious business, it is.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2009, 03:12 »

What amazes me is how time after time, the drill team always makes those damn rifles spin EXACTLY as fast as everybody else's rifles, and they're all pointing the exact same direction as every other rifle at any given time.

It's even more mindblowing in person, believe me. I saw some pretty amazing shit back when I was corps leader in high school. It worried me back when it was my competition, now it just plain stuns me.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:03 »

There is this thing called Battle of the Bands that takes place at the Georgia Dome every March I think? It is like less than $20 to see all the bands for the whole day. I try to go every year, except last year I didn't because it makes me kind of sad.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:16 »

It's been a while since I've been really into DCI shit, is Phantom Regiment still intimidating as all fuck? I saw them in the fall of 2000 at the Veterans Stadium in Erie, PA...during their on-field warmup, they were so loud that the lid on my cup of soda was rattling.

Incidentally, Phantom Regiment of the mid-late 90's has two of my favorite performances ever...I believe it was in '95 that they had a show based on the music of Sergei Rachmaninoff, and '96 was based on Shostakovich? Or the other way around, either way it was kick ass.

Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:36 »

Last year Phantom Regiment actually put on one of the most powerful shows I've ever seen based on the story of Spartacus and took first place from the Blue Devils by a fraction of a point. The climax came with one drum major charging from backfield and stabbing the front 'evil' drum major with a nine foot spear, and then conducted the rest of the show with a foot on his body.

In other words, yes.
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:40 »

I will be Youtubing that shortly...thanks!

Still don't think anyone will ever truly top the '89 Santa Clara Vanguard show based on Phantom of the Opera. I know someone has since broken their high score record, but that show still stands in my opinion as the benchmark performance against which all other shows should be judged.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2009, 15:11 »

What is this?
Some sort of militant youth movement?

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2009, 01:56 »

I was gonna say "oh yeah, drumcorp, just like my high school days." But holy freakin crap I do not even know what to say to that. This makes me miss those performances so much. I have to find one near me...
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2009, 15:11 »

You are actually very near several shows that take place in the LA area (check the DCI website for shows), but Califonia tours are usually a bit earlier in the season, to get a jump on them!

Also in terms of marching, SoCal Dream is a great corps still going very strong in the Irvine area. It might seem like a bit of a drive, but I know people who do 6 or more a weekend, and corps usually accommodate people and will help you find somewhere to sleep for the weekend. They might not be looking for more this season, seeing their first show is Saturday, I believe, but check them out, and GO SEE A DRUM CORPS SHOW!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2009, 22:50 »

What is this?
Some sort of militant youth movement?

Yeah.

Man.

Fucking America.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: [1]   Go Up