THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check out my new band  (Read 3377 times)

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Check out my new band
« on: 09 Jun 2009, 20:49 »

I'm sorry if there's already a thread for this, but I looked and I couldn't find it. I recently started a new "avante-garage" project called Black Hybrid Swan Fatigue, and we just posted our first album online here and here and I'd appreciate it if you folks could take a listen.

The first two tracks were completely improvised and recorded live. Runtime is about 50 minutes, so if you don't have that kind of time I'd suggest either "Down the Hill", our most accessible and the shortest at 3:07, or "Scorn of the Maritime Savior", which is the most representative of our sound and is 12:18.

Don't hold back, I want to hear what you think, and again, if I should've posted this in a "everyone post their music here" thread, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2009, 20:51 by Aegir »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Check out my new band
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:14 »

If we're not holding back, before I listen to this (I'm going to later) the first thing I'd say is you need a new band name.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Aegir

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:44 »

Oh, well the band name is a joke. We determined it had to be at least four words long, include the word "Black", and have an animal name. It's a takeoff on Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Black Lips, Animal Collective, Fleet Foxes, Department of Eagles, Grizzly Bear, Wolf Parade, etc etc etc.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2009, 13:00 by Aegir »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:13 »

Your band name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue though.

BHSF!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Aegir

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2009, 13:40 »

bee aitch ess eff, for me, is harder to say than Black Hybrid Swan Fatigue.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2009, 05:11 »

Ugh.  That was terrible.

Why do you guys have to sing so close to the microphone?  It makes your vocals really annoying.  Are you just recording live into one computer microphone?  There are better ways to record with just a comp microphone.  Think of your house as a recording studio, and make use of the doors and hallways.

Also, the songs just suck.  They're long, boring, and completely discordant.  There is nothing beautiful about what you do.  If I wanted to hear stuff like this, but good, I'd just listen to Six Organs of Admittance.  You guys sound like some awful combination of them and Jandek with maybe some other avante-garde garbage my teacher played in drawing class this term.  And what's with the sporadic Spanish?  Maybe you should do it all in Spanish because the English lyrics are terrible.

Basically, there's just nothing to keep me interested in your long, boring songs.  You should write more like Down the Hill, which was at least almost tolerable. . . sometimes, even though the lyrics make me cringe. 

Look, I'm not trying to be a snob, but this band sucks.  Like, really.  It sounds like you guys barely even tried.  I hope you aren't too proud of this project.   
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2009, 05:17 »

Wow.

There's honest and then there is harsh ...
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Aegir

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2009, 05:22 »

Thank you, Ernest for your honest feedback, I appreciate it greatly. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all. I wish more people would review my stuff.

Yeah, most of it was recorded live, vocals and instruments at the same time. Down the Hill has some overdubbing and of course the title track is heavily tinkered with.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2009, 05:34 by Aegir »

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2009, 07:58 »

I have to agree with Ernest, it's poorly-recorded, long and annoying.  The thing you have to remember about avant-garde stuff is that just 'cause you're not working with established forms doesn't mean that things like tonality and structure can be abandoned.  Truly avant-garde stuff like Nurse With Wound or Irr. App. (Ext.) have really well-controlled sonic spaces and their music ebbs and flows in a deliberate fashion.  Without that kind of attention to detail, that kind of music typically devolves into some kind of masturbatory randomness---much more fun for the musicians themselves than for the listeners.

So, I guess my suggestion would be to sit down and have a better plan of what you're playing and how to record it next time you make an album.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2009, 08:01 by rynne »
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2009, 08:09 »

Kay

Listen to this

P. 1

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cuymeazbglu
P. 2

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qphmqyakml6

That is how it's done. Try and take inspiration from AMM.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:30 »

things

Listen to this. I can't phrase it any better than Rynne did- it hits the nail right on the head.

Also don't namedrop a ton of good bands that you sound nothing like.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2009, 11:43 »

To be fair, the name dropping only refers to the inspiration for their band name, nothing to do with the music itself.

Aegir

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2009, 00:44 »

Yeah, I think my band name does sound somewhat like Black Moth Super Rainbow.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2009, 07:59 »

haha, oh well everyone will always spell your band name wrong if you make it confusing. Take it from my band's example: Illicitizen
And have a listen:
http://myspace.com/illicitizen
or
http://reverbnation.com/illicitizen

Anyone reading this in Charlotte NC USA please come see us tonight (6/13) at the Prevuemusichall.com.

/whorinz
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Aegir

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2009, 15:18 »

That was a really bad transition. My band name uses common words. Though for the first few weeks of our band's existence, I always used to accidentally call it "Black Hybrid Swan Theory", like the Linkin Park album. That made my bandmate really angry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up