THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I has a poem video!  (Read 4845 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
I has a poem video!
« on: 18 Jun 2009, 22:44 »

It turns out my camera can take video...so I recorded a video of me reading a poem I wrote. It's now on Youtube, and may God have mercy on our souls...

Watch my poem!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: I has a poem video!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2009, 22:51 »

I didn't read that as poem. I'm pretty disappointed.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Will

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2009, 22:54 »

I'm a little disappointed in how pitiful my beard looks right now, but it will grow.
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2009, 23:00 »

Will, that's awesome!  Your delivery's great--it rang in my ears for a while afterwards.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2009, 23:06 »

Hey, that's pretty great! And I say this as someone who has a deep suspicion of poetry ingrained by way to many bad open mic nights.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2009, 00:21 »

What ^ said. I first saw the 3:00+ time and did a :roll: but you kept me on the page the whole time. So that's what good free-form poetry is. huh.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2009, 03:02 »

Hey Will, do you ever perform in New York?

In the Bowery Poetry Club specifically?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Will

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2009, 05:57 »

I haven't yet, but I really want to. Bowery is one of the best slam venues in the country, after Chicago's Green Mill and maybe tied with the Nuyorican Poets Cafe...Bob Holman who kind of got the Bowery club started is a legend and a hero to a lot of folks in the slam scene, myself included.

So Bowery is for sure on the agenda!

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2009, 08:12 »

Awesome! I loved the repeated refrain (is that the right word?) of "I will call down curses" at the end, powerful stuff. I have never been at a poetry jam.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Will

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2009, 08:20 »

If you guys are interested, I'd be happy to turn this into a thread where I pimp out all the other poets who are doing amazing stuff. I'm by far a small, small fish...it's a huge pond.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2009, 08:59 »

Yeah you should.

I used to be into slam poetry, I went to high school with this girl and I'd end up going to the Bowery (which is why I asked, you should totally go there, it's great) quite a few times. But then I moved away and now I don't know what's happening.

I'm pretty shit at it myself.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Victorinia

• Plantmonster
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:40 »

That was really great. If I've seen another poem as passionate as that one was at the end, it's not coming to mind at the moment.
I miss slam! I moved from a city with a surprisingly large slam scene (Vancouver) to one with a wee baby slam scene (Montreal) and I just haven't been getting my fix. We should definitely have a pimp your poets thread.

Will

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:54 »

Okay, I will start!
Here's in incomplete list of people I shamelessly rip off (read 'am influenced by')

Ryler Dustin -  My Old Man

Buddy Wakefield is the guy that got me into the whoile slam thing, and is the first poet I ever really dug:
"The Information Man"

Jason Carney - "My Southern Heritage" - I've been compared to this guy a couple times.

Finally, a guy I've been privileged to have had a chance to perform with. I slammed against him last month, did a feature set with him a few weeks ago. One of my bigger actual inspirations, and an amazing poet to boot.

Baraka Noel aka "Mumbles" - "For The Boy"

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2009, 12:13 »

Will if you ever make it out to New York, hit me up. My band and a lot of my friends' bands play Bowery Poetry Club all the time.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Will

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2009, 12:21 »

I'm trying to work out a short tour near mid-August, so I'll keep that in mind!

spoon_of_grimbo

• http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2009, 17:59 »

holy fuck, that was powerful!!!

as a fellow follower of the hardcore thread, i reckon this kinda violent poetry could work well in conjuction with hardcore punk.  like, spoken word over an instrumental.  seriously, if i had the time or necessary equipment, i'd be down for recording some sort of collaboration of that nature!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2009, 18:29 »

I didn't actually catch this thread the first time around but that was really cool. I think if the poem had been delivered another way I wouldn't have given it a second look.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Will

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2009, 19:02 »

Since someone else did the thread bumping for me, I don't feel bad about this...

I made a Youtube channel, and have a couple other videos up. We've been rehearsing for tour, and are making some other videos that will be going up shortly.

Thanks for the kind words, friends!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jul 2009, 23:57 »

Will, please do a southwest tour. I'm sure that forumites in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California will give you hospitality if you did a southwest tour.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Will

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2009, 06:02 »

That's pretty much a goal of mine for the next year. We're staying pretty mush east coast this year mainly because of financial constraints and short-term notice leaving us with minimal time to get away from our day jobs. I'd love to do a full, 2-week US tour next year, so I'm starting to save the cash now.

When I start booking shit, I'll for sure get ahold of this forum first.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2009, 00:33 »

Will, my friend Jason wants to know if this is just you and your friend putting on a show, because if you want it open to other people he can throw something together (he likes poetry), but if not he likes being lazy even more.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Will

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2009, 11:13 »

It's just me and Rabitt on the tour, but if your friend wants to join us that would be awesome. Provided that he follows the rules of the theme, and wears a silly hat. (I assume he means the show we're doing at your house, and not the entire tour, right?)

I would be super stoked if he wants to do some stuff with us...that would be awesome!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2009, 12:51 »

Yeah, just at my house. Dude has a job and stuff that he can't just up and leave.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Will

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2009, 12:32 »

Psshtt...dude being all responsible and shit...

Yeah, tell him to bring his A-game to the set at your house. I want to see what he's got!
Pages: [1]   Go Up