THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 15:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Travelator  (Read 11531 times)

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
The Travelator
« on: 22 Jun 2009, 16:43 »

I thought I would start a topic on travel because it is less than a month before I zoom off on my overseas adventure.  I am going to Paris after America and England, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do.  Apart from eat  nommy cakes and drink nommy wine because that is essentially my plan.

Post travel plans of your own, places you would like to visit, things you want to do, places you have been that were rad!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Zingoleb

Re: The Travelator
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2009, 16:45 »

I went to England once. All I remember is the unpleasant smell and the taste it left in my mouth.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2009, 17:25 »

I've mostly travelled to rural, mountainous places like Chamonix, Snowdon, the Highlands. My holidays consisted of either climbing/cycling up mountains and/or skiing/biking down them, and also drinking large amounts of beer and ale (particularly in France and Scotland). The only other place I've been to recreationally is London, which is tons of fun mainly because of Camden market.

I dunno about places I want to visit, but I really want to start touring places (mostly Europe and Asia) by bike.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2009, 17:46 »

1998 - Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse monument. Summer road trip with the folks. Lots of driving, the midwest is pretty boring.

2000 - Week and a half in Rome with the folks for Jubilee 2000. It was pretty nice, we saw all of Rome and Pompeii. You can walk through all of Rome on foot in 1 day if you're determined. There are lots of awesome places to see.

2001 - Poland/Lithuania. My folks sent me to Poland for 5 weeks to visit family and hang out. It was my first time back since i left when I was 4. I saw practically the whole country and ate lots of food.

2005 - Windsor, Canada. Fraternity trips for gambling and strip clubs and other stupid debauchery. Nice city, much nicer than its cross-border neighbor.

2008 - Poland again. I went on a whim with a buddy to visit some family.

2010 - US Virgin Islands in 1 year :)

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2009, 19:22 by nobo »
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:07 »

I spent two weeks in Paris two summers ago with my entire extended paternal family--we filled up most of an old hotel on the Ile Saint-Louis.  We took the train to Giverny, rented bikes, and rode across the countryside to Monet's house and garden.  It was beautiful, a lot of fun, and a nice way to get out of the Paris crowds for a brief while.  I also loved the Catacombs.  Wild, bizarre, and a little bit creepy.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:15 »

I'll be going on a cruise to the Caribbean this September.  I'll be going to Grand Cayman Island and Cozumel, Mexico.  I cannot wait, and the only real plan I have is to swim with the dolphins in Mexico.  It was a cheap trip to reserve and should be lots of fun since I'm going with my best friend.  Including airfare to Tampa and the 5 days on the ship, it came to only $505. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:19 »

Going to Australia in 10 days! I'm so excited!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:21 »

I'm booking a poetry/spoken word tour in August...this thread seems like a good place to post my early itinerary:
Quote from: William James
William James & Rabit are hitting the road in August!
If anyone can help us get a gig in Atlanta, we'll make you cookies or something!

AUG 08 - Cincinnati, OH, Taffy's Coffee House
AUG 09 - Chicago, IL, Green Mill (Uptown Poetry Slam)
AUG 10 - St. Louis, MO, MoonBean's Cafe
AUG 11 - day off, staying w/ friend in Nashville
AUG 12 - Atlanta, GA - WE NEED A PLACE TO PERFORM HERE!
AUG 13 - Columbia/Inman SC, either Columbia Slam or G-Jay's Cafe (indefinite)
AUG 14 - Charlotte, NC or Lovingston, VA (SlamCharlotte or Rapunzel's)
AUG 15 - day off (WE NEED A PLACE TO CRASH, AROUND THE DC AREA)
AUG 16 - Cambridge, MA, Lizard Lounge Poetry Slam
AUG 17 - New York, NY, louderARTS Poetry Slam @ Bar 13
AUG 18 - Pittsburgh, PA, Steel City Slam (back home!)

If you can help us with a gig in Atlanta, or a place to crash in DC, please message me, or e-mail [email protected]

If you live near any of these cities, come see us!

Seriously, QC folks, I won't be able to do ChicagoCon because of this trip, so some of you should try to come see me! It'd be awesome.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:27 »

I went to Paris for a few days with a friend while in high school. The journey was my first and only time in a plane, but for that was pretty unremarkable. I remember that while the Louvre was pretty cool, Mona Lisa was overrated, and the impressionist collection at the Musée d'Orsay was my favorite thing we saw there. Other than that, much of that trip is overshadowed by the memory of us pissing off our host's mother and her throwing us in a cab and sending us back to the hotel. That was also my first cab ride.

Currently the only trip I'm looking to make is from an apartment to a house.. Which if we get the one we want, we'll have by the end of July. Come crash in my potential extra bedroom, Will!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:35 »

If I don't have to work that night, I might come check you out in Cambridge Will.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:36 »

Been to England once.  Went to all manner of historical landmarks, rode the Tube no less than 4 times a day, went shopping on side streets near Hyde Park.  Got to visit Windsor Castle and Stonehenge.  And the Mini Cooper museum.  What else...lots of good food that I'd never had before.  After that I went to Iceland for 3 days.  Most of what we did there was visit the countryside.  Drank the water from Golden Falls and walked on the volcanic plain where Iceland is supposed to split in two.  Also went to some famous hot spring they had there.  Oddly enough, Iceland is the last place I saw a Little Caesar's pizza shop.  And that was 8 years ago.

I've also been to the Grand Cayman, we stayed at a hotel in the Northeast corner of the island.  REALLY good for snorkeling, went sailing in a catamaran a few times, went to limbo parties and checked out some other cool stuff.  Rum Point has really good curly fries.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Will

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:49 »

Dazed, that'd be awesome! I'll post the address and such when I have all details confirmed.
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2009, 18:52 »

If it's the one in between Harvard and Porter Square I know where it is. Right off Mass Ave, yeah?
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2009, 19:04 »

I'm going to the Scarborough Cricket Festival at the end of August.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2009, 20:22 »

I'll be going on a cruise to the Caribbean this September.  I'll be going to Grand Cayman Island and Cozumel, Mexico.  I cannot wait, and the only real plan I have is to swim with the dolphins in Mexico.  It was a cheap trip to reserve and should be lots of fun since I'm going with my best friend.  Including airfare to Tampa and the 5 days on the ship, it came to only $505. 

Make sure you take the ferry to the mainland and do a day trip to Tulum (Mayan ruins on the beach) and Xel-Ha (eco park). You can snorkel with fish and swim with dolphins and jump off of cliffs and go tubing and it is fantastic fun!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2009, 22:35 »

My travel plans for this coming January/February are to fly out to America and visit Seattle, Boston, NYC and DC. I really am not sure what to in any of these places aside from hang out with internet people.

I do want to run around in snow and catch snowflakes on my tongue and go ice skating outside and be a complete tourist for a while, also I want to hang out in awesome cool not-so-touristy places too.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2009, 22:48 »

i went to England years ago and enjoyed it but you have to get out of London. i enjoyed Bath and Cambridge a lot. I recently went to Amsterdam and loved it immensely. Vondelpark and Van Gogh Museum are some highlights. Well that and all the "coffee shops"
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2009, 22:51 »

Going down to San Francisco for Pride weekend.

Then, days later, heading out to Chicago for a couple days. I used to live there. It'll be cool/weird.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2009, 23:24 »

I've been to Alaska four times. Three by cruise and one time just for a week in Juneau.

Oh and I've been in Vancouver for one day. I think it was on the way back from the Juneau trip. I wish America used loonies and toonies as our currency.
yahoo answers is the new youtube comments

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2009, 00:21 »

I'm kinda traveling right now! I'm also going to Costa Rica on Sunday.

Will, I'm coming to see you in NY in August.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:54 »

If I don't have to work that night, I might come check you out in Cambridge Will.

I know I won't have to work, so I'll probably show up, too... as long as I don't forget.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:38 »

I have driven across Canada a couple of times with my family and seen much of what there is to see. We camp a lot and so I really get to know places. I really, really want to go to Nunavut but I check how far it is every year and it never gets closer :(
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:59 »

Paris is awesome for all the art, museums and stunning churches. I'd recommend the Centre Pompidou. I thought their collection beautiful and even if at the time you're there, there's nothing that really tickles your fancy, it is a beautiful building in a beautiful place.

England. London has one of my favourite places on earth and that is Charring Cross Road. Good place to waste cash and get a serious backache dragging along all the books you buy.

Also: feeding the suirrels in St.James'park is awesome.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2009, 21:59 »

I've had a few awesome trips before; a week in the Sierra Nevadas freshman year of high school for my Earth Science class stands out as one.

This summer (probably sometime in August) I'm potentially going on a road trip of the Northeast USA with some friends.  As of now we plan to hit NYC, Stamford-area Connecticut, Boston, Waterbury VT, Northmpton MA, Cooperstown NY, Niagara Falls, Linesville PA, Akron/Cleveland/Canton OH, and Deep Creek Lake MD.

My travel plans for this coming January/February are to fly out to America and visit Seattle, Boston, NYC and DC. I really am not sure what to in any of these places aside from hang out with internet people.

I do want to run around in snow and catch snowflakes on my tongue and go ice skating outside and be a complete tourist for a while, also I want to hang out in awesome cool not-so-touristy places too.

When are you coming to DC?  I live semi-nearby and could recommend some awesome things to do.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

sean

• welp
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2009, 22:08 »

DC meetup yeah?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jun 2009, 04:04 »

In Paris? Eat at Le Coude Fou.  No excuses.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jun 2009, 04:29 »

We've never really managed a DC meetup except for me and Patrick, but maybe we could get our shit together for you Jamie!

Also Will, I have an air mattress and a couch you and your friend could flip a coin for in DC if you still need a place to stay by then.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jun 2009, 05:41 »

We've never really managed a DC meetup except for me and Patrick,

Really?  Why?   Just from my casual poking around here it seems as though there are a goo-gob of forumites in the area.

I guess the obvious answer is nobody has organized it (and I'm not volunteering to do that either, so who am I to talk?) but that seems... strange to me that there hasn't been one.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jun 2009, 06:42 »

I'm just going to do what I do every year, go camping in a muddy field in Schleswig-Holstein.

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Will

« Reply #29 on: 24 Jun 2009, 07:39 »

Also Will, I have an air mattress and a couch you and your friend could flip a coin for in DC if you still need a place to stay by then.

That would be hells of awesome! There'll be three of us, myself, the other guy performing, and my roommate who is acting as our roadie. Those two are small though, and really we only need some floor space, so if you don't mind putting up with us, we'd love to crash with you. We'll be swinging through the DC area on Aug. 15th, if that works out for you.

Hey, we could do a small QC meet-up that day, and maybe Rabit and I can do a quick set for you guys if we're not too exhausted by then!

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2009, 09:44 »

Will I do not know if I will be in the country on August 12 but my house incidentally has bitchin' acoustics and I have always wanted an excuse to charge people money to get inside because they all barge in like it's their own goddamn place. If you want a real venue, I don't think I could be of much help, but I'll see what I strings I can pull.

I might make people come see you anyway, if I am here.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Will

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:42 »

Believe me, house shows are so much more fun than real venues. I'm so in favor of doing something like that!

Reed

« Reply #32 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:45 »

You know Will, I would put you up if you weren't skipping connecticut like all the tours that travel the East Coast.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:51 »

i have never left America because i am a stereotypical American xenophobe!

also, i am perpetually broke.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #34 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:57 »

Eh. I may be going back to Canada this year for school. Not terribly excited.

If everything automagically falls into place like I'd like it to, I'd be going to NY for school next year.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Will

« Reply #35 on: 24 Jun 2009, 11:43 »

@Reed: What part of Connecticut are you at? I haven't finalized the middle part of the tour yet, we could possibly make it up your way if there's anything going on there.

Reed

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jun 2009, 11:57 »

I'm in central ct, about 20 minutes outside of Hartford
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #37 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:12 »

This is very much nothing to do with travel but what is going on with all these matching avatars? Is it some kind of music forum joke that I have missed?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Reed

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:14 »

It's from this thread

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #39 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:37 »

Believe me, house shows are so much more fun than real venues. I'm so in favor of doing something like that!

Oh hey I will be back by the 10th. Game on!
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jun 2009, 13:07 »

Oh right travel plans.

-ComiCon guys I am almost crying thinking about this (not really, but still)
-ChicagoCon (July whatever - Aug whenever)
-St John and Grand Cayman (Aug 7-10)
-Will doing a thing here in Atl, prolly at my house (Aug 12)
-Dragon*Con (Sep 2-7)
-fall semester starts August 15, so maybe I should make plans to go back to Austin because I haven't been there in like a minute, but not over Halloween because Halloween is on a saturday this year holy shit
-also I guess I could try to go somewhere over Thanksgiving break Nov 27-ish except that is a reeeeaaally bad time to fly
-also a block between end of semester Dec 10 and Christmas that I could probably fill with something
-hey Scotland how's Hogmanay look for you

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jun 2009, 14:04 »

My god you guys I just looked at a map and I had not fully appreciated how large America is. I will be travelling from Philadelphia to Chicago, which is only four states across, and that is almost as far as I have ever travelled before in my entire life. It has only just hit me exactly how far away I am going and I am sooooooooooooooooooo excited it's beyond words alksjt;alkset asjkleht a;klset A
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #42 on: 24 Jun 2009, 14:19 »

Yeah, America is really, really big.  Having spent a lot of time abroad, that's one thing I've consistently noticed is that many people don't really get that.

I'm in the D.C. area and I had a German friend that came to visit ask me if we could go to LA for dinner.  I had to explain to her that it was like going from Paris to Moscow for her to get that even if we left at lunch time, we weren't going to get there by dinner.   My parents, for instance live 7000 Km away.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #43 on: 24 Jun 2009, 14:27 »

that's another reason why i haven't travelled outside of America. i haven't even seen 5% of the stuff inside America!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #44 on: 24 Jun 2009, 16:14 »

We've never really managed a DC meetup except for me and Patrick,

Really?  Why?   Just from my casual poking around here it seems as though there are a goo-gob of forumites in the area.

I guess the obvious answer is nobody has organized it (and I'm not volunteering to do that either, so who am I to talk?) but that seems... strange to me that there hasn't been one.

I tried to organize one once, but I am awful at that sort of thing.  I would definitely be down for gettin' together when Jamie's in town, but I'm not gonna make the mistake of taking it on myself to set it up again.  Group effort, yeah?
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

FourNineFoxtrot

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hell on Wheels
« Reply #45 on: 24 Jun 2009, 22:06 »

Just finished up a long road-trip out to California and back, 1100 miles each way.  Was out visiting some friends and family, which was nice.  Since I have family both where I am and in Cali, though, I usually end up hauling a bunch of stuff each way when I go.  Last time it was a box full of my grandma's old things (I didn't look, so it could really have been anything I guess), this time it was tools.  My cousin (kind of, by marriage, it's complicated) wanted me to pick up the tool chest he left at his workplace in El Paso when he had to leave town rather suddenly.  I didn't ask why.  I don't want to know.  Anyway I figure, "What the hell, I've never been to El Paso."  Fortunately, even if he was in some kind of trouble, nobody seemed to take notice of me.  El Paso was okay, though.  Wouldn't want to live there, I'm not really a hot-weather guy.  Also, it's right across the border to Juarez, and Juarez is bad juju, basically the murder capital of North America.  Not exactly a pleasant vacation spot.  Apologies to anyone who lives in Juarez, but damn.

Coming back from Cali I took a different route than usual; instead of going down highway 99 through the central valley, I went up to Carson City and down 395 through Bishop.  Nice drive, damned fine country.  All mountain valleys and craggy peaks, forested hills and scrubland and tiny little towns, low-key tourist traps.  Wouldn't mind living out there if I had the scratch.

Then I went down to Barstow and out I-40 heading East.  Spent all damn day in the desert, but the heat didn't hit me until I was just outside of Barstow... and it hit like a freight train.  One minute everything's fine, the next it's like somebody opened the door to an oven right in front of my face.  Turns out it was only like 104 or something, but it felt hotter.  Heh.  I was in a daze by the time I hit Kingman.  Good times, though.  12-pack of soda in an ice chest, chain-smoking cigarillos, switching out CDs in my crappy cd player with its ancient tape cassette adapter.  That's how I like to travel.

One of these days I'm gonna just wake up one morning, pack my gear, and drive East until I hit ocean.  Then maybe I'll turn left and drive until I hit Canada.  Never been through much of the Eastern Seaboard, just a little when I was a kid.  One day maybe I'll get to see all 50 states; right now I'm only at 20, and some of those don't really count because I was a kid and just passing through.

I also need to get a passport.  I'm only a half-day's drive from Mexico, I should really go see what it's like while I can.  Plus I have a friend in Australia who has been bugging me to visit, but that's a lot of money and flight time just to drop in and say hi.  Maybe someday, when I've got a few grand and a few weeks to burn.
Garry Owen!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #46 on: 24 Jun 2009, 22:28 »

and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do

Vaux le Vicomte is the chateau that inspired Versailles. It is not that far away from Paris, and Versailles is always packed anyway! How is your French? I ask because Vaux is in Maincy, not too far from Paris but far enough to make it basically a day trip, and most of the people there don't speak English.

If you are only in Paris for a little while I can't recommend much of anything, because my sojourns in France have all been in the Loire River Valley and the south near the Pyrenees. We did find a wee little market last time right outside of a small cathedral called Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais that was terribly picturesque, and in my opinion the smaller scale made some of the interior decoration much prettier than Notre Dame, so you should definitely drop in there. It is still home to a flourishing abbey, by the way. But the market was nice because we got there early and we got really reasonable prices on foodstuffs, at least better than in the shops. These little girls were having the best time standing on the vent and letting it blow up into their dresses.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #47 on: 24 Jun 2009, 22:42 »

In Paris? Eat at Le Coude Fou.  No excuses.

I need more reasons. Your turn.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2009, 04:17 by negative creep »

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #48 on: 25 Jun 2009, 00:27 »

This Saturday I will be going to Florence.  I'll be living in the city, and taking a course through McGill at a local language school to improve my Italian.  I'll be in class only in the mornings, and can't wait to explore the city.  I'll be there until July 24th, so if anyone has any suggestions for things to do around the city, I would love to hear them.

I have a EuroRail pass lined up so that I can do some backpacking once the course ends.  I'll be going from place to place for around two and a half weeks, and am planning to get to Berlin and Paris at the very least.  I've thought a bit about other cities to spend a few days in, but beyond those two, nothing is for certain.  Any places people would recommend?  Any one going to be somewhere in Europe between July 24th and August 11th and want to meet up?

August 11th, I'm meeting my family in France, in a small village sort of near Lyon.  My grandfather owns a house there, and I'll be relaxing and being lazy, mostly.  Then, back to Montreal after a week or so.  Should be a lovely summer.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #49 on: 26 Jun 2009, 01:36 »

Guys 24 days until I fly out.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up