THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Travelator  (Read 11254 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Re: The Travelator
« Reply #50 on: 26 Jun 2009, 02:44 »

I fly to New York in 5 hours! I need to pack!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #51 on: 26 Jun 2009, 05:33 »

I need more reasons. Your turn.

Just a recommendation.  Some of the best restaurant food you'll get anywhere in France, but in a bistro atmosphere.  It's a while since I was there, but I did not regret following up my (French) friend's recommendation.  I had Îles flottants for puds - yummy!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 29 Jun 2009, 12:02 »

Ok, we'll see about that.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #53 on: 29 Jun 2009, 13:32 »

Quote from: William James
AUG 13 - Columbia/Inman SC, either Columbia Slam or G-Jay's Cafe (indefinite)
Hopefully, I will be able to come see you.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #54 on: 29 Jun 2009, 14:10 »

I've just made a blog post since I didn't see this thread but I'm just finishing up two weeks in Paris. I'm going to london for the next for days and I need ideas for where to go beyond the big three (at least the big three for me, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London and the Globe Theatre).

Also I don't remember if anyone lives in the London area but I'd be more than happy to have tea or something.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #55 on: 29 Jun 2009, 14:42 »

Quote from: William James
AUG 13 - Columbia/Inman SC, either Columbia Slam or G-Jay's Cafe (indefinite)
Hopefully, I will be able to come see you.

Unfortunately, change of plans occurs here - no contact with the Columbia people, and G-Jay's was a no-go. For those of you who are interested, here is the full and final tour schedule:

Aug.8th - Eaton, OH // Taffy's Coffee House
Aug. 9th - Chicago, IL // Green Mill Lounge (Uptown Poetry Slam)
Aug. 10th - Florissant, MO // MoonBean's Cafe
Aug.11th - (day off in Nashville)
Aug. 12th - Kennesaw, GA // Private house party near Kenn. State (at calenlass's house!)
Aug. 13th - Asheville, NC // The Courtyard Gallery
Aug. 14th - Lovingston, VA // Rapunzel's Coffee & Books
Aug. 15th - (day off in DC)
Aug. 16th - Cambridge, MA // Lizard Lounge Poetry Slam
Aug. 17th - New York, NY // Bar 13 (louderARTS Poetry Slam)
Aug. 18th - Pittsburgh, PA // Shadow Lounge (Steel City Slam)
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

nobo

« Reply #56 on: 29 Jun 2009, 15:02 »

dude, that is a lot of driving.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Will

« Reply #57 on: 29 Jun 2009, 15:15 »

Yes it is...just under 4000 miles, according to Google maps. It's doubtlessly one of the craziest things I'll have ever done.
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #58 on: 02 Jul 2009, 06:15 »

I am in Puerto Viejo in Costa Rica.

I got here yesterday and have already been offered weed from five different people. I am sweating. Today I go to the rainforest.

Yay for travelling.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #59 on: 02 Jul 2009, 16:39 »

On Facebook I made an album with a couple pictures from basically every trip I've taken in the last couple years. I'm pretty sure I'm missing a lot of older photos though because 2009 is only half over and it's already got more photos than 2008.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #60 on: 04 Jul 2009, 14:49 »

I just hiked the Cinque Terre trail today, absolutely wonderful.  Astoundingly beautiful.

Italian lessons are going well I think.  Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be doing pretty well.

Florence is beautiful.  Full of things to do.  Scrumptious food, and breathtaking sights.  And plenty left to see.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #61 on: 08 Jul 2009, 13:08 »

I'm getting pseudo-settled-in with a one-month rental provided by in Eching (outside Munich) provided by my new institute, and getting to work by bike everyday even through it won't fucking stop raining.  But it's actually been pretty sweet so far!  Pretty city, nice transportation, and lab-mates who are scary smart.  The jetlag sand is slowly draining from my head, and I think I'll actually be able to start doing meaningful research soon (as opposed to signing pieces of paper and asking other people to sign pieces of paper like I've done for me first few days).

I swear my old German lessons are all going to come back to me, and then I won't have to just grin like an idiot when the cashiers say things in stores.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #62 on: 09 Jul 2009, 01:35 »

Oh god, that grin.

The grin that you think says:'Hi, look at me I'm harmless and cute and please help me because I have no clue what your language is let alone know how to speak it (other than to barter for sex) and please, please help me, help me!'

Which actually says to the cashier:'Hi, I'm a fucking idiot, here to waste your time by buying stuff I don't understand with money I don't understand in clothes you don't understand ... plus, I grin a lot whilst bartering for sex. Which I probably don't understand.'
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #63 on: 09 Jul 2009, 05:43 »

CONTEST

Allison wants to go somewhere in September, with a little sum of money she has put aside for a rainy day. It has to be relatively close (no more than 18h on a bus/train plz) and flying is not really an option. Tell Allison where to go. Connecticut, Montreal and New York are looking good so far.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #64 on: 09 Jul 2009, 07:01 »

Montreal,Montreal,Montreal.  :-D

I haven't been out of the continent. I was going to go to England in July but my sister canceled on me at the last minute. I'm probably just going to go Montreal and New York City or maybe  Chicago. I've never been to Chicago.

I'm also poor, so that doesn't really help.

Any of you ever read Wiki Travel? It's great! http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page

Will

« Reply #65 on: 09 Jul 2009, 10:59 »

Chicago is great. Without a doubt my favorite city in the US.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #66 on: 09 Jul 2009, 11:06 »

CONTEST

Allison wants to go somewhere in September, with a little sum of money she has put aside for a rainy day. It has to be relatively close (no more than 18h on a bus/train plz) and flying is not really an option. Tell Allison where to go. Connecticut, Montreal and New York are looking good so far.

If you come to Montreal and want to go for coffee or drinks or something like that I am game?

New York is also really awesome though, especially if you haven't been.

nobo

« Reply #67 on: 09 Jul 2009, 14:40 »

CONTEST

you have a budget in mind? also why no flights? a toronto to bahamas weekend flight in september is $400, and six hours.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #68 on: 11 Jul 2009, 15:16 »

CONTEST

Montreal is awesome, but New York is awesomer.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #69 on: 11 Jul 2009, 15:33 »

New York, though the budget part makes it tough.  Half the fun becomes "Where can I find someplace cheap to eat in Manhattan?"

allison

« Reply #70 on: 11 Jul 2009, 18:58 »

you have a budget in mind? also why no flights? a toronto to bahamas weekend flight in september is $400, and six hours.

I'm not really a beachy type, and my budget is about $500 in all - so $400 for just airfare would really kill the rest of the trip, haha.

I think I will probably end up in Montreal, because I have a few friends there and I haven't had enough time there to really take it in.

nobo

« Reply #71 on: 11 Jul 2009, 20:43 »

LUMBERJACK HERITAGE FESTIVAL!

its in ontario too. i would totally want to see lumberjacks.

Dude is hardcore.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 11 Jul 2009, 20:52 »

Who wouldn't? Allison, go to that and make out with a lumberjack for me. It is clearly the sexiest profession, due to having more beards per capita than any other.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

allison

« Reply #73 on: 11 Jul 2009, 22:53 »

I would do this.

However it's in Kapukasing. That is about 10000km northwest of nowhere.

wafflecone

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #74 on: 11 Jul 2009, 23:25 »

Montreal is hella awesome, you should come! This is slightly overshadowed by how much I want to go to New York, tho...

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #75 on: 03 Aug 2009, 08:40 »

So, I'm making the big jump over the Atlantic to study at the University of Glasgow for the fall. My flight arrives in Edinburgh on the 4th of September, but I can't move into my dorm until the 6th. Do any boardies living in/around either city know any good, cheap hostels and restaurants, as well as any shows/cool events of a different cultural appeal happening around that time? Please let me know, it would be really appreciated.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 03 Aug 2009, 09:14 »

Well I've been to every state in America except Maine, Oklahoma and Hawaii, and most of western Europe, though not Germany. Paris is definitely my favorite city that I've been to, followed by Venice, Madrid and Girona. One thing to do in Paris that people often overlook is going to the Sacre Couer. The view is amazing.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #77 on: 03 Aug 2009, 12:42 »

And so is the organ, if you're into that sort of thing; but that's true of all the big Paris churches!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #78 on: 03 Aug 2009, 14:10 »

Ooh, thank god for facebook or I'd forget about such things.  RoosterTeeth's fan-run event RT Philly is coming up, the weekend of August 14-16.  Should be a good time, I haven't been to Philly (save for a concert a few months back) since... middle school, I believe.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #79 on: 08 Oct 2009, 15:21 »

Thought id revive this thread. I went through and found some old photos of my trip to Amsterdam and was wondering what other photos people might have of their travels. Only new travel plans I have is trying to go to S. Africa next year for the World Cup.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #80 on: 10 Oct 2009, 21:19 »

Hey Allison why didn't you come to Montreal?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up