THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single Mode is Better Than MMOs?  (Read 3617 times)

deadplayer

• Not quite a lurker
Single Mode is Better Than MMOs?
« on: 28 Jun 2009, 09:26 »

Quote from Top 10 Reasons Why Single Mode is Better Than MMOs

Reason 1: Engaging Storyline
Without doubt, a solid storyline is definitely the main selling point of a single-player game (mainly single-player RPG games). Most single-player games feature intact world view, gripping stories and intriguing plots, which however are unavailable in online games. Everyone loves games with depth. But with plot twists after plot twists, their storyline has gone so far to make the gameplay at the boring end of the spectrum. That's how come the dev team behind Online version of some series has being blasted by huge fans of its stand alone versioin.

Reason 2: Dazzling motion graphics and stunning visual effects
Many of you will throw a fit once a game can't run smoothly on your computer. Even though the gameplay sucks and the plot makes you want to cry, you will still get hooked to this game. For what? Here is the answer: for its dazzaling graphics and stunning visual effects. Yes, you are a geek who cares nothing but awsome graphics. Games will be fun enough only if they have super cool visual effects.

Reason 3: Freedom
How much better would it be to do whatever you want while you are playing a game?

Do you guys play Single Mode more?

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Single Mode is Better Than MMOs?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2009, 09:33 »

The two best games I've played in the past five years were Left 4 Dead and Resident Evil 4. The former has, effectively, about as much story as the original Mario Bros, the latter has one of the worst stories ever committed to paper.

If I want a good story, I'll read a book. Video games are for fun gameplay.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Darke

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2009, 09:51 »

Okay, as someone who doesn't play any MMOs (used to play WoW but gave it up at level 50something) and very much appreciates a great single-player game, I have to say that article is absolute trash.

The author's English is atrocious, which makes his already flimsy arguments even less convincing. I could go through every point explaining how it's terrible, but I don't have the energy.
There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2009, 11:05 »

I play more single player because I suck at multi. Good days are the ones where my kills is close to my number of deaths. You should see my efforts at TF2 - I've been seen to get an über, charge into all of the enemy troops packed in a cluster, and get one kill.

Yeah, I'll stick to single player at easy, if you don't mind. That's not frustrating.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2009, 11:06 »

Reason #7 is priceless. I love Baldur's Gate but I'm pretty sure it never nourished my soul.

Playing a single-player game will be the best way to learn something every day, something you'll never learn in your real life.

I've learned from video games, but it's mostly trivial stuff like the fact that a pavise is a type of shield. Oddly enough, I think I learned more by playing primitive old MUDs and MUSHs than I ever learned in single player games, since there was other people playing to interact with and oftentimes you could ask staff about why they designed things the way they did directly or chat about coding into the wee hours of the morning. It's also the first place I ever consistently communicated with people from outside the US.

Oh, yeah, and this one:

In the online world, you will meet various types of complicated people whom you know nothing about. There’s possibility that they will influence and even destroy your life.

I'm considering using that as my sig.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2009, 11:27 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2009, 14:40 »

I mean, I like sp games a lot more than MMO's, but yeah, he hasn't given a single good reason why they're better.  I mean, this is about as shitty as an editorial can get.

Maybe I can try, at least as far as it applies to me.  For me to really enjoy a game, I have to be fully invested in the world that exists in that game, or absolutely engrossed by the gameplay offered.    I can't be invested in the worlds of MMOs; because while they are expansive and detailed, they go on without me and often have other players doing things which remind me of the outside world.  And I have yet to find an MMO where the gameplay is satisfying enough to keep me interested for more than a month.  I also don't generally play any multiplayer games of any kind unless I can play them with someone I know.  I own two copies of Left 4 Dead, but I rarely play it.  It's still one of my favorites, I just don't play it very often because somehow most of my friends didn't buy it.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2009, 15:15 »

I think the biggest reason this article is a piece of shit is that it's just a blatant one-sided argument that turns into worshipping single-player games around when he says "RPG games will teach you life philosophy..." Actually it starts before that but I couldn't pass up using that quote. He's turning fun, irreverent games into some sort of holy grail that greatly benefits the mind, soul, and generally improves your life skills even if you have no human contact while playing them.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2009, 19:06 »

I play MMOs and I play Single Player games.

Y'know what? I like good games.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2009, 03:45 »

to be honest, it's more than likely the guy who wrote that article is getting paid by at least one of those game makers.   the only other thing could be that it's entirely satirical.   getting down to the last few reasons, i have a hard time believing that anyone could really say those things with a straight face.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2009, 04:58 »

I can't believe any web site that clearly depends on ad revenue would actually publish that crap.  I stopped reading the article as soon as I hit "stingy jew".

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jul 2009, 21:41 »

I'd play a tf2 single player episode where you are the spy.

I like COD4's storyline better than it's multiplayer.
also israel

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jul 2009, 02:11 »

COD4 has a damn good storyline.

But after playing through it 2 or 3 (or in my case 10) times, I hit the multiplayer. And I'm in love with it.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jul 2009, 02:35 »

In the case of COD4, I had the computer to run it, but not the internet speed needed to run the multiplayer.

I went to someone's house to play it, multiplayer was a ton of fun.

Went back home, played a bit of single-player and I was miffed by the fact I couldn't play online, but I didn't really mind.

In the case of Halo, though, I really, really couldn't be fucked playing the single player through a second time after Legendary. Multiplayer ended up being a fuckton more fun.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jul 2009, 05:24 »

Y'know what? I like good games.

This.

I play more single player because I suck at multi. Good days are the ones where my kills is close to my number of deaths. You should see my efforts at TF2 - I've been seen to get an über, charge into all of the enemy troops packed in a cluster, and get one kill.

This as well.  When Goldeneye first came out, our dorm floor in college would have tournaments running nearly around the clock.  I am still yet to get double digit kills.  I once had a score of 2 kills, 93 deaths.  No joke.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up