THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save Money, Save save save....maybe?  (Read 18485 times)

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Save Money, Save save save....maybe?
« Reply #100 on: 12 Jul 2009, 15:55 »

Those are not cheaper, as far as I've ever been able to tell. Where would you be buying that and for how much? I've been trying to find a straight razor for about 3 years now.

He probably means cheaper in the long-run, as once you buy one there's very little ongoing cost compared to buying cartridge or disposable razors.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #101 on: 12 Jul 2009, 20:37 »

Cheaper in the very far long run, as you have to buy the razor, plus the strop and stone to sharpen it, and of course you need a proper badger hair brush for the soap... starting up seems like it will cost well over $100USD, probably closer to $200.

Just don't shave. Cheapest option ever.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Zingoleb

« Reply #102 on: 12 Jul 2009, 20:48 »

And now because of yelley there will be neckbearded men all over the place

Thanks a lot yelley

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #103 on: 12 Jul 2009, 20:53 »

Hah, this reminds me... the other night Lunchy found a poster entitled "Beards: music for people with beards by people with beards" or something like that. Apparently beards is now a music genre, too. 
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #104 on: 12 Jul 2009, 20:58 »

You'll all probably think I'm super lame for using an electric razor, but it's just so much easier than dealing with shaving cream or lotions or any of that.

Which actually brings up an important counterpoint to all this saving talk.  Sometimes skimping is a waste of money, and electric razors are an example of that.  While you certainly don't need to spend the completely ridiculous amounts the most expensive models cost, buying the cheapest ones is a waste of money because they'll just break and then you gotta buy another.

The same principle is true for a lot of things, although maybe not things you care about in your current situation.  Another good example of this principle is cookware, but it sounds like that's not something you'd care about anyway.

Zingoleb

« Reply #105 on: 12 Jul 2009, 21:00 »

Hah, this reminds me... the other night Lunchy found a poster entitled "Beards: music for people with beards by people with beards" or something like that. Apparently beards is now a music genre, too. 

Bearded crabcore!

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #106 on: 12 Jul 2009, 21:04 »

Very much agreed, Mr. Hocking.

Example, in high school I wore through 3 pairs of black boots before my parents broke down and spent the $120 on the Doc Martens I wanted. I still wear them 11 years later.

Shoes. Cookware. Knives (especially knives). You get what you pay for.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #107 on: 13 Jul 2009, 04:28 »

Speaking of hair and saving...

This is one of the best purchases I've ever made: http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/ca/consumer/cc/_productid_QC5170_00_CA_CONSUMER/Hair-Clipper+QC5170

Once I got over myself and my ridiculous insistence on actually shaving (with BLADES) my entire head, I realised the above product would be a far more practical, time-saving and economical option than regular razors. And it was so :o and this way I get the stubble I want at once, instead of after a couple of days.

Razors are nice and all, but if you shave often then, at some point, an okay electric razor will probably prove to be a more economic option.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #108 on: 13 Jul 2009, 04:32 »

My electric razor just irritated my skin.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #109 on: 13 Jul 2009, 04:34 »

so much easier than dealing with shaving cream or lotions or any of that.

That's the best part!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #110 on: 13 Jul 2009, 08:10 »

ELECTRIC RAZORS ARE FINE FOR SHAVING YOUR VAGINA, BUT I NEED SOMETHING ELSE TO DEAL WITH THIS MANLY BEARD ON MY FACE.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #111 on: 13 Jul 2009, 10:01 »

Tell him to stop kissing you?
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #112 on: 13 Jul 2009, 10:31 »

NO FAGGY SHIT

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #113 on: 15 Jul 2009, 08:37 »

I just wanna put this out there that not all girls like boys with all the fancy smelly soaps and stuff. I like the smell of most essential oils and dirt, I also like that musky man smell of lack of deodorant. I don't mean like gross and not hygienic just musky c:

Oh also, dear shaving-advice, you should put a big disclaimer,"IGNORE IF YOU ARE A WOMAN"

King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #114 on: 15 Jul 2009, 09:28 »

Actually, there is some stuff ladies can do as a chick to make shaving easier and have better results, but it doesn't really end up cheaper.

-A scrap of flannel cloth (not a terrycloth flannel like a rag, but like a bit of what you would make pajamas from) rubbed in circles works really well at getting rid of ingrown hairs, for some reason.
-Shave twice: once with the grain first and then once against it. This helps with razorburn.
-Exfoliate your leeeggggsss. It can be as simple as a decent scrub with a rough washcloth and hot water.
-Always use some sort of cream to help raise the hairs and moisturise your skin. almost all [bar] soaps will dry out your skin and make the hairs sort of sticky because it strips the moisture out, so they are harder to cut with the razor. If you want to save money, use all the old hair conditioner you don't put in your hair anymore since you switched to that other brand.

-And, of course, try not to shave when it's too cold. Try and get the temperature of the bathroom somewhere around "tolerable", because otherwise your razor shaves off the tops of your goosebumps, too.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #115 on: 15 Jul 2009, 15:02 »

I know it's not strictly related, but what am I doing wrong when trying to wax my legs with Veet waxing strips? It doesn't seem to work at all. I followed the instructions to the letter but I get better results shaving with a Bic razor.

I'm getting it done professionally on Friday, but I'd still like to know.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #116 on: 15 Jul 2009, 16:32 »

The only reason I have ever heard of the Beards, is that my friend wanted to start a band with an identical name and tagline to them and then found out some dudes in adelaide had already thought of it first and he was so furious
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #117 on: 15 Jul 2009, 19:17 »

waxing yourself is really tough to do in general. a lot of my friends do it, but i never could figure out how to wax myself properly cos i can't seem to ever suck up enough to pull as hard as i'm supposed to and i always end up in a world of sticky bumpy pain instead. getting waxed professionally is how i usually roll.

maybe you could talk to the professional and ask her? she'll probably have lots of tips. or, if you think the problem might be that you're not pulling fast or hard enough, asking your friends to wax you is okay if they are up for that. my roomies were totally fine with me asking, but maybe it's only cos they liked seeing me in pain. it definitely makes it a lot easier to do it right when you have someone else doing the waxing who isn't you.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #118 on: 15 Jul 2009, 20:29 »

wax strips are just a lot weaker than waxing the regular way.  even when used properly they are never going to work as in depth as actually rolling on some wax and using regular cloth strips.

however, i know that waxing the regular way is a huuuge pain in the ass and the first few times you try and do it there is just a big sticky useless mess everywhere.  my advice would be to use a natural substitute for wax - i recommend moom.  it's just way easier to use until you get the hang of it because it washes off really easily (unlike wax which sticks around forever... ugh) and i could swear it's less painful too.  although i'm pretty immune to the pain now anyways so i am probably not a good judge.  just make sure that it's warm enough to spread evenly but let it cool for about 30 secs before you yank the strip off because otherwise it won't work (took me a little while to figure this out).
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up