THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 04:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical Assistance  (Read 2179 times)

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
Technical Assistance
« on: 05 Jul 2009, 15:25 »

I have a technical problem I want to ask the forum for about, so I figured I'd make this thread for general questions on technical assistance.

My brother accidentily left the our Wii on over-night, and since there was no no one playing it, the "Wii Mote Connection Has Been Interrupted..." etc. screen was on the whole night. Now that screen seems permanently imprinted on the screen. Since the screen and words are white, they only show up on the screen when whatever we're playing/watching has white on it. Is there any solution to this, such as screen cleaning or leaving it turned off for a few days, or is it permanently damaged?
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2009, 20:31 by JimmyJazz »
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: Technical Assistance
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2009, 15:58 »

You can buy special DVDs designed to reduce burn-in by displaying constantly-shifting random colors and patterns, but you can achieve the same effect by leaving your TV on a channel that DOES NOT contain black bars or static images. Ideally, this means leaving the TV on for about a week straight, at which point you've done pretty much all you can. If the image is still burnt-in after that time, that's all you can do.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2009, 16:05 »

Mostly, though, nope.

Your TV's fucked. v :| v
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2009, 17:32 »

Is it a CRT, LCD, or plasma TV?

CRT burn-in is there for good. I have an old Mac SE/30 (from 1989) that had the AppleShare Server screen permanently burned in at one point, but eventually the screen went (for reasons not related to the burn-in) so I replaced it.

LCDs "heal" burn-in if you leave them off and don't turn them on at all for a few days.

I'm not sure about plasmas, but my best guess is permanent because all the old PlayStation game manuals warned against playing for extended periods on plasmas. (They said things like the HUD could get burned in.)

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2009, 17:40 »

If all else fails; electro magnets.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jul 2009, 18:29 »

A strong magnet will just magnetize the dot mask in the monitor and make it a mess. It won't do anything for the burn-in problem. (Magnets bend the electron beams in the monitor. This is good because that's how it aims them properly, but bad because a magnetized dot mask will cause them to go where they shouldn't and screw up the picture.)

However, a strong magnet with the poles oscillating will 'scramble' the particles in the mask and demagnetize it. (Degaussing the screen, kind of the same way as the loud "BUZZzzzzzt" you hear when you turn it on does, but much more effective.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j404EgmdXSU
Pages: [1]   Go Up