THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your cuppa tea  (Read 14030 times)

tinysmidgen

• Obscure cultural reference
Your cuppa tea
« on: 06 Jul 2009, 18:38 »

edit: this thread is now about tea, proceed
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2009, 19:27 by tinysmidgen »
A raptor with a sword should never be trusted, even if the raptor doesn't have thumbs.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
Re: Your cuppa tea
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2009, 18:43 »

EDIT: My previous comment is now obsolete.
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2009, 20:46 by Delirium »

Zingoleb

« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul 2009, 18:45 »

Edit: Tea!
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2009, 20:48 by Zingoleb »

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2009, 18:46 »

I take my tea with Milk and two (three if no one is looking) Sugars.

I normally get up and set up the stuff first thing in the morning, (normally washing out the old tea from the mug first) put the sugar and teabag in the mug and turning the kettle on, then going back to get dressed while it boils. I take longer to get dressed, so that gives the water some time to cool down a bit before I pour it into the mug. Dunk the teabag a few times until the water is nice and dark, and stir the sugar so it doesn't accumulate down the bottom of the mug. I have these cool 'non-drip' teabags, where you have two strings that you pull and it scrunches up the teabag, so I don't burn my fingers squeezing the teabag; they are tops. Then I add a smidge of milk, a quick stir, and sip it slowly so I don't burn my tongue.

I really like tea, guys.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2009, 18:46 »

oh shit, sorry.

I like guys who likes tea.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Zingoleb

« Reply #5 on: 06 Jul 2009, 18:49 »

I have an awesome teapot. It is black and has a hummingbird and a hibiscus plant painted on it. I should get pictures.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:01 »

This thread happened like one month ago.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:03 »

Women are a lot different to tea in that if I do not get a woman every day I am probably not going to go stark raving mad and punch out a lollipop lady.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Zingoleb

« Reply #8 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:06 »

I have these cool 'non-drip' teabags, where you have two strings that you pull and it scrunches up the teabag

Also, I am trying to figure out how this works and failing.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:08 »

Hannah, you can basically create your own non-drip teabag by placing the  bag on the teaspoon over your tea and wrapping the string around it and pulling. That is what i do and I do not have to pay a tea company marketing dude to pretend its a genius idea nobody every had before, because he is just going to spend that money on drugs anyway.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:11 »

These are the exact ones I am using. You rip the label in half (it is perforated) and pull each half away from each other. the strangs are connected at the bottom of the bag, so it scrunches up and gets all the water out of the teabag.

Brett, if I don't have these bags I normally use the label to protect my fingers when squeezign the teabag against the spoon, but sometimes I am just lazy and these are on special.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:16 »

I was really hoping that this was about actual tea and in a way the thread is not disappointing!
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:16 »

I don't like tea and I don't know why.
Everyone else I know seems to drink it but eh, it's not so hot.

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #13 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:21 »

guys i love trying out new teas and finding new flavors. i am poor though so i can only afford one flavor at a time (or a few if i get one of those mixed boxes).  the last box i got was apple cinnamon and it was actually kind of disappointing, unfortunately.  i've almost finished it though.  does anybody have a suggestion for a new kind of tea to try out?  for reference my favorite tea is orange cinnamon, i like fruity or herbal teas rather than that english breakfast crap.  i am sure somebody has a favorite weird tea they can tell me about!
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #14 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:22 »

I like iced tea.  Unsweet.  I'm in Alabama right now and take a perverse joy in telling people this.  Someday it may get me killed.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #15 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:42 »

So iI guess it is a tea thread now. We needed one of those.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:46 »

http://www.teaopia.ca

We have one o' these lovely stores a few units down from my store at the mall. I like going there and getting the Mate Citrus Buzz, iced with a little bit of raw sugar. Delicious!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:53 »

tea is a good thing to have when listening to do make say think in late august.

and in winter when yr blasting like godspeed or something on a cold snowy day.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Zingoleb

« Reply #18 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:57 »

guys i love trying out new teas and finding new flavors. i am poor though so i can only afford one flavor at a time (or a few if i get one of those mixed boxes).  the last box i got was apple cinnamon and it was actually kind of disappointing, unfortunately.  i've almost finished it though.  does anybody have a suggestion for a new kind of tea to try out?  for reference my favorite tea is orange cinnamon, i like fruity or herbal teas rather than that english breakfast crap.  i am sure somebody has a favorite weird tea they can tell me about!

I enjoy ginger/fruit teas. Mango-ginger is recommended.

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:58 »

I only like that strange lipton iced raspberry tea. Does this make me a bad person?
yahoo answers is the new youtube comments

wafflecone

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:04 »

I only like that strange lipton iced raspberry tea. Does this make me a bad person?

Yup.

I mostly drink black tea, but I just got this japanese sour cherry green tea from silk road and it is delisssh.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:16 »

I drink too much tea now that I have unlimited tea at work. Instead of drinking bundles of extra hot English Breakfast, tiny splash of milk, eensy weensy amount of sugar maybe, I have been drinking green tea with honey, it is pretty good and it warms you up just the same and everything.
I crashed at someone's place on the weekend and I always pride myself on being able to find the tea making things when I'm hungover and my eyelids are stuck together and it's dark cause I don't know where the light is, but THESE PEOPLE HAD NO TEA. I did find a sample-sized sachet of instant coffee, so I survived, but I mean gosh.

Zingoleb

« Reply #22 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:18 »

Energetic, intelligent, a good balance of idealism and pessimism, and with long red hair.

You have odd taste in tea.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:27 »

yeah, it makes me feel pretty wack but i jam on some cherry tea

Sam is currently rocking some good post/av combinations lately am I the only person who has noticed that

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:31 »

I like iced tea.  Unsweet.  I'm in Alabama right now and take a perverse joy in telling people this.  Someday it may get me killed.

Unsweetened iced tea is the only way to drink it. You are a good tea-drinker.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:35 »

Unsweetend with a little lemon is amazing. The sweetened stuff is way, way too sugary for me even though I used to love it.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

courtle

« Reply #26 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:38 »

Strong preference for black tea with a little honey and cream, or something with a touch of bergamot or other citrus like Earl Gray.  But I'll try anything, for an experience.

Zingoleb

« Reply #27 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:41 »

Thank you, thread, you have made me get off my ass and make a pot of tea for the first time in several weeks now.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:46 »

Energetic, intelligent, a good balance of idealism and pessimism, and with long red hair.

You have odd taste in tea.

A woman who believes she is a homosexual male.

LEGIT TEA DRINKIN' PREFS

Zingoleb

« Reply #29 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:52 »

Totally!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #30 on: 06 Jul 2009, 21:00 »

I generally regard herbal tea as being for falses, but even I have to concede that liquorice and mint is a really nice combo. The liquorice gives it a nice warming feeling as it goes down and means that it has a little more kick than those herbal jobbies that just taste like fruity water and are too damn wussy to be given the honourable title of tea. Straight mint is also acceptable, goes down well with an aubergine sandwich.

For proper tea I go with Clipper Fair Trade or maybe the Assam if I'm feeling flush, soy milk and two sugars. I always liked the idea of those Tetley drawstrings but I just wish they'd be applied to a better tea, and besides squeezing the teabag against the side of the mug usually gets enough moisture out to safely get it to the bin.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Noff

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #31 on: 06 Jul 2009, 21:43 »

I have these cool 'non-drip' teabags, where you have two strings that you pull and it scrunches up the teabag, so I don't burn my fingers squeezing the teabag; they are tops. Then I add a smidge of milk, a quick stir, and sip it slowly so I don't burn my tongue.

I've always been taught that squeezing the tea bag tends to squeeze out any tiny bits of tea leaf into the tea, making it bitter.  Then again the cheaper the tea the smaller the tea leaves are ground, so maybe it doesn't matter if the tea is of a certain quality.

Anyways I'm a big fan of anything with Bergamot, green tea, and white tea.  I sometimes add honey to green tea but no milk or sugar.  Lemon but no sugar when it's iced tea, HATE sweet tea.  I will be living in the South next year but it is a rich fancy portion, so most likely I will be challenged to a duel rather than outright killed.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #32 on: 06 Jul 2009, 23:20 »

String on tea-bags is un-British.  In fact, tea-bags are un-British, but what the hell.  And tea should be made of tea,  not silly weeds 'n stuff - remember, it's purpose is to remind you that it is British because we ruled the places it comes from: especially India and Kenya (China tea doesn't quite count).  You youngsters just have no respect for your heritage, what is the world coming to, etc (wanders off mumbling to find his panama hat and cane).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #33 on: 06 Jul 2009, 23:23 »

In another life, I have tea when I get up (i.e. now!) and when I get home; coffee at work (coffee bags! ) and at the weekend (big pots on all day); hot chocolate when I'm out somewhere that I reckon the coffee will be disgusting.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #34 on: 06 Jul 2009, 23:24 »

Herbal and floral teas for hot tea in winter and regular tea (sometimes Irish Breakfast, sometimes English Breakfast, just to mix things up, since we don't get standard british tea here) for breakfast, sweet tea-with-my-sugar tea for cold in summer. I never used to like iced tea. I dunno what is wrong with me.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Nodaisho

« Reply #35 on: 07 Jul 2009, 00:37 »

Everyone else I know seems to drink it but eh, it's not so hot.
That's your problem. Lukewarm tea isn't nearly as good as hot tea.

I like herbal tea, at least partially because that is what I grew up with. Lemon Zinger and Raspberry Zinger (that's probably the brand name, but Herbal Essences has close to a monopoly on herbal tea in Colorado) for the most part, but chamomile can be really good too. Especially if you add a bit of honey.

Non-herbal tea, I so far only like Earl Grey and sweet iced tea. The Earl Grey, I usually just put a bit of lemon in, no sweetener. Never tried it with sweetener, I found I liked it when we didn't have milk, sugar, or honey, so I never tried with it. Some people are disgusted by me adding sugar to tea, I tend to make them watch. Tradition? There is plenty of tradition behind swayt tay.

Does anyone know particularly good brands of Earl Grey? I usually just have Twinings, but that is just habit. Bagged, but I'm not even sure where the tea leaf strainer thingy is, haven't seen it for years, and I am not going to drink the bits of tea leaves.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #36 on: 07 Jul 2009, 00:54 »

Herbal Essences has close to a monopoly on herbal tea in Colorado

Herbal Essences? Like, the shampoo dudes?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Nodaisho

« Reply #37 on: 07 Jul 2009, 01:05 »

What, you mean that wasn't just really thick tea in a bottle?

Yeah, my bad. Meant Celestial Seasonings. Not quite sure how I got that mixed up.

ibrahimdelil

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #38 on: 07 Jul 2009, 02:39 »

i love to mix ceylon with turkish black tea. and sugar, lotsa sugar >_>
When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #39 on: 07 Jul 2009, 03:05 »

found out beer is actually a pretty good shampoo by accident.

Thinking about doing this with some tea

My hot water is broken anyway

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #40 on: 07 Jul 2009, 03:10 »

I really only drink tea when I am sick and then I drink it black with lemon and honey. If for whatever reason I am drinking tea other times I like it like my men, black and unadorned.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #41 on: 07 Jul 2009, 03:16 »

I like my tea the way I like my women, bitter.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #42 on: 07 Jul 2009, 03:20 »

I like my women bitter but my tea very sweet oh no what can I possibly contribute to this thread

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #43 on: 07 Jul 2009, 11:05 »

I like cocoa tea! And mint tea with condensed milk!
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #44 on: 07 Jul 2009, 12:24 »

I drink one cup of hibiscus tea every morning - one or two teaspoons of sugar. It's like my coffee, wakes me up.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #45 on: 07 Jul 2009, 12:50 »

Man it is not "black" if you put stuff in it. It can still be black tea, but if you say "I like it black with milk and sugar" that is nonsensical.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #46 on: 07 Jul 2009, 13:40 »

No, it's still black if you put sugar in it. That doesn't change its colour.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #47 on: 07 Jul 2009, 14:31 »

I am not very picky about my tea.  I don't like those goofy berry or citrus kinds, though.

Favorites:
Green tea, mint tea, chai tea.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #48 on: 07 Jul 2009, 15:19 »

No, it's still black if you put sugar in it. That doesn't change its colour.

I was under the impression that "black" tea or coffee was like booze "neat" or "on the rocks".

Nodaisho

« Reply #49 on: 07 Jul 2009, 15:25 »

I think it depends on who you ask. Some people will say black, no sugar, some people would just say black. It could have to do with the cultures they come from. I tend to drink my coffee black with enough sugar that I can feel my teeth rotting, and think of it as black with however many sugars (usually four spoonfuls).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up